Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 12:25 AM   #15
jmaryt

 
Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: salem,nh
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
Saw the same on a 2010 Equinox. Emailed Chevy...

...got this in response...
that's all well and good,however saying that the parts are 'as good" as anything on the market is NOT CONFIDENCE INSPIRING,because everything made today has a made in china label attached,and it is common knowledge that things produced in china are made very "economically",and have been determined to have "quality control" issues!..it makes me feel uncomfortable as well,but harley davidson has some parts made in china too,and who woulda thunk?
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:52 AM   #16
Camaro_hx
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KWT
Posts: 2,474
Send a message via MSN to Camaro_hx
Thanks for the technical info.
Camaro_hx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #17
DON_RAFA
NY5THGEN
 
DON_RAFA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS/A6/SIM/IO
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: FAST LANE
Posts: 858
Your work is much appreciated, thanks for the detailed info!
DON_RAFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #18
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
that's all well and good,however saying that the parts are 'as good" as anything on the market is NOT CONFIDENCE INSPIRING,because everything made today has a made in china label attached,and it is common knowledge that things produced in china are made very "economically",and have been determined to have "quality control" issues!..it makes me feel uncomfortable as well,but harley davidson has some parts made in china too,and who woulda thunk?
I hope you don't own a cell phone.

Just because somethings made in China doesn't automatically make it shit. Quality control is the key and you have to trust that GM is checking these parts before they go on the cars. It's been shown over and over that most aftermarket wheels are made in places like China. Also, few of us could afford a car that was made/manufactured exclusively in the US. This is why I laugh everytime I read someones post about not buying something because it isn't american made.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #19
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6
 
BigMatt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Landenberg, Pa
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
wow 261 lbs of wheels and tires!!
__________________
LS3, JRE Smooth Idle cam, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa, MSD Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, DSS 1000hp ds & 1400hp axles, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Spohn lcas, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id850s, Powerhaus Performance tuned.
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #20
Orange Krate
Not just any car!
 
Orange Krate's Avatar
 
Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 1,841
This is a great overview. Suspension and angle of trajectory are often the most overlooked and/or ill changed aspects of an automobile by DIY'ers. We see it daily with lifted and lowered cars. Keeping the symmetry and balance of the suspension is just as important as a good brake system and a tight steering box. It is amazing what a little tweak in tire height or elevation change will do to the handling characteristics, including braking and traction. Thanks for this link and to the writer/photographer for some good down and dirty basics.
__________________

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #21
Orange Krate
Not just any car!
 
Orange Krate's Avatar
 
Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I hope you don't own a cell phone.

Just because somethings made in China doesn't automatically make it shit. Quality control is the key and you have to trust that GM is checking these parts before they go on the cars. It's been shown over and over that most aftermarket wheels are made in places like China. Also, few of us could afford a car that was made/manufactured exclusively in the US. This is why I laugh everytime I read someones post about not buying something because it isn't american made.
I agree with your statement about QA/QI in the parts department. However, their are MANY factors that go into making something in China (or any other country) too. Just because it is made cheaper doesn't mean it is better. A friend of mine is a forensics inspector for a major manufacturer here in the U.S. His company moved much of their production to China and now they are paying the price. The failures are KILLING their multi-million dollar business (pneumatic/hydraulic applications equipment) of which they have lion's share globally. The single underlying reason...CONTROL. They cannot control production (quantity and quality) as easily as they could in the U.S. There is something to be said about Made in the U.S.A. back in the day when things were built to last and not be disposable.
__________________

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #22
oachalon

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
I agree with your statement about QA/QI in the parts department. However, their are MANY factors that go into making something in China (or any other country) too. Just because it is made cheaper doesn't mean it is better. A friend of mine is a forensics inspector for a major manufacturer here in the U.S. His company moved much of their production to China and now they are paying the price. The failures are KILLING their multi-million dollar business (pneumatic/hydraulic applications equipment) of which they have lion's share globally. The single underlying reason...CONTROL. They cannot control production (quantity and quality) as easily as they could in the U.S. There is something to be said about Made in the U.S.A. back in the day when things were built to last and not be disposable.
Orange Krate...i know exactly what you mean. i work for a company that has almost all of its factories in china or taiwan. I am engineer and part of the quality control for my company. It is very difficult to keep quality up when your parts are made in china. 90% of the problems are caused by cheap chinese material. The other 10% is because the chinese just dont care about quality control and testing of parts. You have to watch them 24 hours a day. We are not a big company and nothing close to the size of gm, but we do work with large chinese corporations. From what i have seen they are all the same.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #23
buzzy56
buzzy56
 
buzzy56's Avatar
 
Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 1,114
excellent work

Thanks for the very through write up.The pics are excellent and I really enjoyed the article.Nicely put together.Informative articles such as this are just another reason why this site is the best I am TOTALLY
ADDICTED to camaro5!
__________________
OLD SCHOOL / NEW SCHOOL COOL
buzzy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #24
JusticePete
5th Gen Master Builder

 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 18,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy56 View Post
Thanks for the very through write up.The pics are excellent and I really enjoyed the article.Nicely put together.Informative articles such as this are just another reason why this site is the best I am TOTALLY
ADDICTED to camaro5!

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #25
REAPER SS
 
REAPER SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CAMARO BLK 2SS/L99
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham,Al
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMatt View Post
wow 261 lbs of wheels and tires!!
Yeah, thats what I said. Thats alot of rotating mass.
REAPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #26
clg_98ta


 
clg_98ta's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,704
Nicely done... thanks!
__________________
Black 2SS ordered 1/4/2010, received 2/19/2010



clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #27
camarolt76
2SS/RS Black/CGM Stripes
 
camarolt76's Avatar
 
Drives: 88 Iroc, 76 Camaro, 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hampton Roads Virginia
Posts: 599
Great post on the 2010 SS Suspension!
__________________
2SS/RS Black with CGM Rally Stripes (#8575) Built on 8th of May, Delivered 10 June 2009.

camarolt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #28
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"
 
el ess A's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 4,323
Just to kick in on the products made out of Chinesium...

I know a Motorola engineer who's CONSTANTLY on the phone (ironically) with his Hong Kong counterparts on quality issues with their radio and cell phone technology. He said that the control of the quality is the issue, as was stated earlier. It's not that the Chinese CAN'T make quality stuff, it's just there's a whole lot of "what's in it for me besides 3 bucks per day?" mentality. He said a lot of workers that make the parts, can't even afford to buy any of the finished products. So if there's no "skin in the game", or ownership sort of feeling, so there's not an emphasis for them to be enticed to do well. Getting by just enough to get your paycheck is fine by a lot of Chinese workers. Hopefully that will change.
__________________
2010/2013 Camaro

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does the v6 have enough power? cstproductions Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 305 08-29-2012 09:27 PM
Think about this and the Z28 5th gen 13F20 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 41 09-04-2010 12:59 AM
...looking for a 2010 Camaro Indy Pace Car replica?? List of dealer's with allocation fbodfather 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 63 04-24-2010 09:51 PM
Ambient lighting (ABL) - the FINAL update = LIMITED TO DOOR PANELS CamaroScotty 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 338 04-15-2009 05:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.