Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 09-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #51
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Keep the sunroof, bring on the SPECS!

Lookin good, can't wait to see it minus all the shrouds...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #52
305pride

Drives: 3.4l 1995 camaro
im getting tired of the damn teasers. i swear. gm does that too much
Old 09-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #53
SQUALO
Early Production "SS"

Drives: 2010 SS IOM/WHITE RALLYS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdog View Post
Im just now noticing the foglights are a lot higher than the 2010's
I noticed that too, which means there's probably air vents below, perhaps for the cooling of the braking system.

Similar to this design.

Name:  sema-2009-chevrolet-jay-leno-camaro-1241-1.jpg
Views: 1691
Size:  117.3 KB
Old 09-22-2010, 03:01 AM   #54
96_2010_CAMARO

Drives: 2012 SIM Camaro 2SS/RS , yukon
Send a message via MSN to 96_2010_CAMARO
WOW !!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:37 AM   #55
CamaroMiami

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3, 92 Camaro RS
CamaroMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #56
CRANKYPANTS

Drives: I WANT MY 1ST CAR BACK, 1979 Z28
Will work for Z/28.........
CRANKYPANTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #57
usmc8411
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro
If thats an inlet scoop on the hood, the "ram air" will be about as useful as a 4th gen SS "ram air" hood.
usmc8411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #58
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc8411 View Post
If thats an inlet scoop on the hood, the "ram air" will be about as useful as a 4th gen SS "ram air" hood.

ram air is a misnomer anyway.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #59
Moonshade

Drives: ABM LS
I really like some of the ideas they are throwing out there. As we all know this in not the final product so keep all our input going they may be listening
Moonshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #60
Luny

Drives: Future Camaro
the first pic kind of looks like it still has the mail slot. Not sure if it's just my eyes though lol
Luny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #61
jims69camaro

Drives: 1969 camaro coupe; 1987 IROC z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshade View Post
they may be listening
no, they ARE listening.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #62
CamaroTransAmFAM
DIE HARD G.M.FAN 4 LIFE

Drives: 99 TransAm WS6,00 TransAm WS6,05GTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
It would be nice if they ditched the sunroof....
Y would they? that wouldnt make no sense
#1 DIE HARD GM FAN SSuperior MotorSportz "the SSpirit of Championz,The Attitude of Winnerz,"TEAM FBODY WE LIVE AND BREATHE PERFORMANCE"General Motors 4 Life "CAMARO & TRANS AM RACING ORGANIZATION" THE STREETZ IS A JUNGLE,ONLY 2 BEAST REIGN AS KING:THE PONTIAC TRANS AM WS6/FIREHAWK & CAMARO SS/Z28
CamaroTransAmFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #63
tommyn2

Drives: 2010 2SS RS SIM
RE: What about the engine??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been out of the forum for several weeks, so forgive me if I'm asking a question already answered, but: what is the final engine configuration choosen for the Z28?? Has any reliable source come up with this info yet???
I keep hearing its gonna be a V12 from a lambo

Also, what will be the choosen transmission for this car???
The one they use in the dodge Viper

The final shape, whatever it is, will be O.K. since it is already based in our car which is a visual hit in itself (I get reminded every day!!).

The engine configuration & set up and the tranny mated to it will make or break the car in the end

Safe driving to everyone,

The Flash

Think everyone has their own speculations : ) I'm just BS'ing! Can't wait to see what they really come up with myself bud

2010 SIM 2SS RS
Flowmaster Cat-back System 409S American Thunder
tommyn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #64
mondain

Drives: toyota
Someone please tell me why a top-mounted supercharged engine would even need any ram air opening at all on the top of the hood??

Cooling? Wouldn't the sc have it's own cooling? So if it's just ancillary cooling, fine, but I'm not gonna get excited over that.
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #65
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post
Someone please tell me why a top-mounted supercharged engine would even need any ram air opening at all on the top of the hood??

Cooling? Wouldn't the sc have it's own cooling? So if it's just ancillary cooling, fine, but I'm not gonna get excited over that.
It's not going to be ram air; probably a heat extractor or such. Good luck forcing more air into the engine than the alleged SC, lol I could definately see getting air out from under the hood though. I hope it doesn't get all crazy, though, and start to look like some rice or something. If it's along the lines of it's competitor, I think it'd be perfect. If it had the scoop and bulge of the TF2 hood, plus the extractors of the JL hood, I think that'd look d@mn nice. Maybe a blend of the TF2 front facia and the JL facia, and GM would leave me no reason to change anything. Nothing in terms of rocker moldings and rear facia have really caught my eye. Personally, I like the GM GFX for those, but time will tell
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #66
mondain

Drives: toyota
Is the hood scoop on the GT500 functional in any way?
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #67
Z28RockStar

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM 6M, 2007 Harley Deluxe
God in heaven give me the strength to wait long enough and have the fortitude to save enough to afford this car, k thx, peace out, amen.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #68
Z28RockStar

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM 6M, 2007 Harley Deluxe
This endeavor will take a lot more beer I can tell.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #69
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
It's not going to be ram air; probably a heat extractor or such. Good luck forcing more air into the engine than the alleged SC, lol
the SC that is on the ZR1 and the CTS-V could both be hooked up to a ram-air set-up. They both hook into an "air box" because the inner cooler is self contained. The ZR1 has a "ram-air" induction...
2SS/RS 400RWHP, Hurst Shifter, Vararam Tune model,SLP Loudmouth axle back, Pedders Camaro Pace Car Kit &, EP7323, PDUSACAM2800, EP1167, ZL1 Calipers, CTS-V rotors, ZL1 Wheels, GTO clutch resevoir, Pedders Camber plates.
Back Street Performance has done a great job with ALL my Performance & Suspension mods, highly recommend them (Rich@BSP) he's in my friends list.
TLSTWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:45 PM   #70
tylermoore

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss/LS3 Victory Red
it would be cool to see an intercooler behind that lower grille with the old style z28 emblem on the intercooler itself JMO. gonna be a awesome car...
Old 09-23-2010, 02:40 AM   #71
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: Suzuki Hayabusa

If that's going to be my hood, I am officially doing the freakin' Dance of Joy in the parking lot when it shows up. For my money, that's the hottest, most futuristic look possible.

If that's not the hood, I'll try to find one, maybe in carbon.

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #72
ParisTNDude

Drives: 2006 Corvette
Geeeeesh, no body colored roof plastic thingy? Who would want one without that!!!
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #73
SS-screamer

Drives: SIM RS/SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post

If that's going to be my hood, I am officially doing the freakin' Dance of Joy in the parking lot when it shows up. For my money, that's the hottest, most futuristic look possible.

If that's not the hood, I'll try to find one, maybe in carbon.

Ditto. That is the absolutely best hood out there right now. I will be more than happy if it shows up to my house with that
SS-screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #74
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
nothing official, still speculation. more then likely the manual will be a tr6060 or if you're into the aftermarket called the t-56 magnum. as for the engine. some 6.2L that's supercharged. . .lol.

What about suspension??. . .i think that will make or brake the car as much as the engine and transmission setup.
Thanks for the clarification boxmonkeyracing!!!!

You're totally right in that the suspension set up is also critical, however my guess is that GM marketing people and engineering Dept. will concurr in that the Z28 will appeal and attract a particular niche of the sports/gt car market.

In so, I expect them to offer a very highly tuned sport suspension, biased towards improving lateral grip first (roadracing), then launching capabilities (drag racing) as a second priority and leaving a marginal level of comfort for daily street driving as their third goal.

I remain puzzled as to the engine and tranny choice since at times I feel that GM as painted itself into a corner here: a Z28 "raison d'etrè" is to be a superior performing version of the standard issue CAMARO, which means higher power and torque, so, what space does GM have to do this??.

In the upper echelons of their cars line up is the LS9 engine (a supercharged version of the LS3 with some additional interesting engineering modifications) which powers the CORVETTE ZR1: all the day dreaming in the world will not make an auto manufacturer shot itself in foot and offer its most potent engine in a less expensive car package which is also as visually appealing as its most expensive sports car yet goes one tier up the ladder with a decent/usable back seating for two and a huge closed trunk!!

So forget about the LS9 600+ hp for the Z28. It is an unreal option imho.

Then there is the LS7, displacing 7+ liters and powering up the CORVETTE Z06.

Similar reasoning applies here: the Z06 remains in the line up since most enthusiasts covet a higher dose of hp and torque than offered by standard VETTE's but few can afford the price tag of the ZR1 and, let's face it, once that amount of money comes into perspective even hard core american automobile loyalists begin to have visions of european exotics.

So the Z06 has a market and its unlikely its engine will be offered in the Z28 for the same issues I refered to about the ZR1 engine.

Then the other issue is the horsepower plateau: the LS7 is already in the 500+ bracket, some 80hp above the CAMARO's stock LS3, but its max torque output is just about 470 lb/ft, hovering a stone throw above the LS3's 420 lb/ft benchmark.

There is not much distance beween these engines in terms of output performance, so I believe it is difficult for GM to come up with an engine configuration for the Z28 that improves on the performance capabilities of the LS3 used in the standard CAMARO, while at the same time avoiding to invade the turf of its other best selling sports cars and simultaneously there is the need of having such engine based on a powerplant being manufactured now (I do not think a business case can be made for making a new engine and tranny designed solely for the Z28 -- the car selling figures will never justify it).

What options remain??? In my humble view, a way out of this cunundrum is to outsource the engine & tranny, and perhaps some other specs too, from a specialty shop, like GM used to do with Street Legal Performance (SLP) when they offered the FIREBIRD FIREHAWK, which you could buy back then from any PONTIAC dealer.

Anyway, this is why I asked about the final engine & tranny choice being announced or not: there is a lot of speculation, desiformation and wishful thinking about this, but until GM makes a product and marketing decision on this front and commits to it, I do not see the Z28 happening, despite how much I'd love it.

The release date will keep on being postponed and pushed further in the calendar until this issue is dealt with, imho.

Incidentally, tommyn2, watch your words.!! This is the same company (despite its bankruptcy reorganization) who once had the foresight of making a dashing car like the FIERO, only to juggle with at least four different engine configurations during its production cycle, all of them vastly inadequate, leading to the early demise of an otherwise cool looking design.

They also made the Caddy Allanté, the Aztek, the ... shall I go on????

So while you think that your joke was cute, better watch what you write... there are always those clueless souls that cannot differentiate sarcasm from intelligent expression... and some of them, unfortunately, are also car company executives!!!

Safe driving to all,

The Flash
Old 09-24-2010, 07:15 PM   #75
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
I see your point, but don't you think that using the LS7 would make just as much sense as using the LSA, to a certain degree? While we can debate about whether 470 torque and 420 torque are a 'stone's throw' from each-other, I don't see the difference between using the two power-plants as it relates to the Camaro.

Logically, if the Z28 is using the LSA then THAT version of the Camaro SHOULD draw buyers from the base 'Vette, right? Probably not as much as you'd think. They are completely different cars... and while I see your logic that the Camaro being in a second, visually appealing package coupled with a back-seat might be 'added benefits' that lure buyers, I think the Corvette appeals to a narrow segment of the population and its nameplate alone draws customers (as evidenced by the fact that LS1 Camaros and Firebirds were nearly as fast in a straight line, and still sold, but so did the 'vette). The cars DO compete... if what you're looking at is straight line performance. HOWEVER, the Corvette is a vastly superior setup for track applications... and if you are craving a higher dose of HP than a standard Vette but also want blistering cornering, the Z06 is an excellent platform for that.

I suppose the essence of my point is that GM using the LSA or LS7 both make sense... and I could easily see them churning out an LS7 version of the Camaro to out-do the Mustang Laguna Seca edition, etc. After all, the LS7 is known to have a more difficult time with boost (in stock form) than the LS3 or LS9. It can be a BEAST with heads/cam, though. In fact, I think many of the people who like tuning N/A motors might be drawn to a 7.0L COPO Camaro that was slightly less expensive than the Z28. Do I think they'll do it? Probably not... but mostly because, for the small segment-gap in price, it wouldn't be efficient to do R&D on a 6.2L SS, a 7.0L "COPO" or similar, and the 6.2L supercharged LSA Z28. I agree with you that they likely won't use the LS9 as that is reserved for the flagship car, though...

By the way, I'm terribly sorry if I misunderstood your point. I'm exhausted and running on very little sleep

DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote