Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #443
Team STILLEN


 
Team STILLEN's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 Camaro, 10 GT500, 09 GT-R, etc
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, Ca
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
Sean, Have you looked at the MAF by any chance? We are having issues with the MAF reading the correct airflow at higher boost. I don't think fuel is an issue at this point but we are definately having problems with the ECM reading the airflow properly (at>5 psi). Also, have you looked into the tuning of the ECM yourselves or are you working with someone else? Lingenfelter was concerned that they wanted more horsepower out of their system and I suspect they gave up due to problems with safefully increasing the boost. Also, the Leno car only had about 360+ish (I forgot what the actual number was) on their twin turbo so I would suspect they couldn't crank up the boost as well.
I have not looked at the GM V-6 MAF. However, I have dealt with a lot of different MAF's over the years in forced induction cars. Modern MAF's, and intake systems are very finicky. They can be tuned/parts changed around, but sometimes its complicated to figure out those issues.

Some of the problem's may be fundamentally tied to how the STS turbo charger works, blowing across a MAF that generally is only on a negative pressure side. It might require some rethinking for this car.

DI requires some rethinking, I have been interested in DI for a long time, and I enjoy studying it. More power, lower octane. Its really a win, win situation. However on the aftermarket side, it does make things a little more difficult, but if it was easy, everyone would do it. I try and embrace the newer technology and figure it out rather than just go the route of some people, and get rid of it.

As far as the ECU tuning goes. I know people that have access to stuff that a lot of other people might not.
__________________
JILL - STILLEN Performance Specialist
jwhite@stillen.com | 714-540-5566 ext 159
Authorized Dealer - Hotchkis | KW | BC | AirREX | Eibach | H&R | JBA | Magnaflow | Kooks | CAI | K&N | Airaid | AP Racing | Hawk | Magnuson | Whipple | Edelbrock | Vortech | RKSport | Seibon | ACT | T-Rex | Street Scene | WeatherTech | Vossen Wheels

Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #444
Z Madness
 
Z Madness's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team STILLEN View Post
I have not looked at the GM V-6 MAF. However, I have dealt with a lot of different MAF's over the years in forced induction cars. Modern MAF's, and intake systems are very finicky. They can be tuned/parts changed around, but sometimes its complicated to figure out those issues.

Some of the problem's may be fundamentally tied to how the STS turbo charger works, blowing across a MAF that generally is only on a negative pressure side. It might require some rethinking for this car.

DI requires some rethinking, I have been interested in DI for a long time, and I enjoy studying it. More power, lower octane. Its really a win, win situation. However on the aftermarket side, it does make things a little more difficult, but if it was easy, everyone would do it. I try and embrace the newer technology and figure it out rather than just go the route of some people, and get rid of it.

As far as the ECU tuning goes. I know people that have access to stuff that a lot of other people might not.
Thanks for the response, I sent you a PM.
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #445
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 11,844
What about the MTI racing installed STS Camaro? That guy hasn't exactly been as vocal as we'd like him to be, but as far as I know he hasn't had issues with the MAF....or has he??

..and not that it matters, but I thought the Leno car was rated at 425HP.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:21 AM   #446
Z Madness
 
Z Madness's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 535
No problems with MAF at 5 psi. Problem occurs once I boost higher. Jim is staying with the 5 psi spring so he shouldn't have any issues. Hopefully he post up once he gets his 1/4 mile times.
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #447
Team STILLEN


 
Team STILLEN's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 Camaro, 10 GT500, 09 GT-R, etc
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, Ca
Posts: 2,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
No problems with MAF at 5 psi. Problem occurs once I boost higher. Jim is staying with the 5 psi spring so he shouldn't have any issues.
Do you know if its maxing out the MAF? How close to 5V's is the reading at 5 psi ? It might be pegged out. Might need some MAF cal, bigger housing, different MAF to read higher boost.
__________________
JILL - STILLEN Performance Specialist
jwhite@stillen.com | 714-540-5566 ext 159
Authorized Dealer - Hotchkis | KW | BC | AirREX | Eibach | H&R | JBA | Magnaflow | Kooks | CAI | K&N | Airaid | AP Racing | Hawk | Magnuson | Whipple | Edelbrock | Vortech | RKSport | Seibon | ACT | T-Rex | Street Scene | WeatherTech | Vossen Wheels

Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #448
xtreme industries
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt RS
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 551
this is getting interesting. keep the info coming. i want to buy this kit but i need to know if the benifits are worth the cost. what 1/4 mile improvements are to be had, how high can we boost reliably (5psi just doesnt seem to be enough, 7-10 psi would be nice). make sure you guys keep us in the loop
xtreme industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #449
Beau
 
Drives: Fast
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team STILLEN View Post
Do you know if its maxing out the MAF? How close to 5V's is the reading at 5 psi ? It might be pegged out. Might need some MAF cal, bigger housing, different MAF to read higher boost.
I was just going to post about this. It sounds like you're running into an issue where you've reached the max hertz(frequency) with this MAF.

If this is the case, any improvement to airflow will result in issues even at lower boost levels.

Fear not though, you can upgrade to a larger diameter tube and recalibrate that MAF, or go with a MAF that will read a higher frequency and calibrate that MAF.

Trifecta should know what to do here. I'd start with the V8 MAF, I believe that would be a good place to start.
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #450
Z Madness
 
Z Madness's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010, 2000, 1971 Camaros
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau View Post
I was just going to post about this. It sounds like you're running into an issue where you've reached the max hertz(frequency) with this MAF.

If this is the case, any improvement to airflow will result in issues even at lower boost levels.

Fear not though, you can upgrade to a larger diameter tube and recalibrate that MAF, or go with a MAF that will read a higher frequency and calibrate that MAF.

Trifecta should know what to do here. I'd start with the V8 MAF, I believe that would be a good place to start.
The MAF is not being maxed out. The readings were higher than what the ECM could process. We made good progress this week. Car is expected to go in the shop for some work on the front facia so hopefully we get this wrapped up soon after. Will update again in about a week or two. In the meantime, I'm sure we'll have lots to discusss with Jims results.
Z Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #451
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!
 
scrming's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Second Brick
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: at my pulpit
Posts: 7,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Madness View Post
The MAF is not being maxed out. The readings were higher than what the ECM could process. We made good progress this week. Car is expected to go in the shop for some work on the front facia so hopefully we get this wrapped up soon after. Will update again in about a week or two. In the meantime, I'm sure we'll have lots to discusss with Jims results.
cool...

Looks like MTI Fest is strictly a road course... so no 1/4 mile results...

rditten (rich) texted me the other day saying he's had a few issues but he is close to being done...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #452
joejoe3rd
 
Drives: Grand Prix
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sunrise Florida
Posts: 89
Was there suppose to be a STS car running this weekend? What did it run?
joejoe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #453
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!
 
scrming's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Second Brick
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: at my pulpit
Posts: 7,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3rd View Post
Was there suppose to be a STS car running this weekend? What did it run?
Jim is taking his car to the MTI Fest tomorrow... however it appears to be a road course only... no drag racing..
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #454
joejoe3rd
 
Drives: Grand Prix
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sunrise Florida
Posts: 89
Man, when are we gonna hear of some 1320 times?
joejoe3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #455
SIXJAK


 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Branson MO
Posts: 2,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Jim is taking his car to the MTI Fest tomorrow... however it appears to be a road course only... no drag racing..

Nooooooooooooooooooooo.
__________________
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #456
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture
 
stand-al0ne's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jamlando, FL
Posts: 1,112
So, if I am understanding this correctly, there have been NO 1/4 times for any STS turbo v6 camaro (with exception to the AAC Camaro, which was buggin and ran higher than stock times)

Wow, the first person to post some 1/4 times on a turbo v6 is going to get alot of publicity over it, haha.

Its times like this that it would be nice to hear what D3 has learned about the LLT.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3150697

I believe cracking the code to this motor is just a matter of time (at first they said the new Skyline GT-R was uncrackable too)

I'm just hoping a big company takes interest and realizes the potential to supplying another FI kit for the v6 crowd.
__________________
EBC Brakes| DOT 4|Bigworm| SickSpeed| BMR | IPF | Vararam| MRT |MGW | Nitto | Rx |
Iggee |ZL-1 Sways| Hurst | Apex Racing|Past: Srt-4| 6.0L GTO- RIP | '98 Integra
stand-al0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #457
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!
 
scrming's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Second Brick
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: at my pulpit
Posts: 7,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by stand-al0ne View Post
So, if I am understanding this correctly, there have been NO 1/4 times for any STS turbo v6 camaro (with exception to the AAC Camaro, which was buggin and ran higher than stock times)

Wow, the first person to post some 1/4 times on a turbo v6 is going to get alot of publicity over it, haha.

Its times like this that it would be nice to hear what D3 has learned about the LLT.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3150697

I believe cracking the code to this motor is just a matter of time (at first they said the new Skyline GT-R was uncrackable too)

I'm just hoping a big company takes interest and realizes the potential to supplying another FI kit for the v6 crowd.
got a note from rditten... he is hoping to wrap his install up this week.. and if possible he may try and run it this weekend...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #458
SIXJAK


 
SIXJAK's Avatar
 
Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Branson MO
Posts: 2,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
got a note from rditten... he is hoping to wrap his install up this week.. and if possible he may try and run it this weekend...

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:19 AM   #459
JohnZ
 
JohnZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT V6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Posts: 412
Sorry to barge on the track conversation but i was wondering Z Madness if you had done any 0-60 times. I don't know much about 1/4 miles and stuff of that nature. But as far as 0-60 times, I am curious how the turbo system competes with the V8.

Thanks
JohnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Updated - Twins almost here! - STS (Twin Turbo) Camaro SS 5th Gen SS Forced Induction - V8 249 08-19-2012 10:45 PM
Granatelli / Turbo Tech Twin Bottom Mount Turbo Systems Granatelli Forced Induction 20 11-30-2010 07:47 PM
Why TT over SC? Jefe's SS Forced Induction - V8 10 10-02-2010 04:14 AM
STS Remote Mount Turbo Kit for V6 ZNOLMT Forced Induction - V6 102 06-09-2010 01:18 PM
ULTIMATE PERFORMANCE* TURBO Camaro SS -- 750hp Custom Single Turbo Kit (T04Z) Ultimate Performance Forced Induction - V8 496 10-11-2009 02:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.