Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 11:12 PM   #69
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13
 
TLSTWIN's Avatar
 
Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vermilion, Ohio
Posts: 3,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post
Someone please tell me why a top-mounted supercharged engine would even need any ram air opening at all on the top of the hood??

Cooling? Wouldn't the sc have it's own cooling? So if it's just ancillary cooling, fine, but I'm not gonna get excited over that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
It's not going to be ram air; probably a heat extractor or such. Good luck forcing more air into the engine than the alleged SC, lol
the SC that is on the ZR1 and the CTS-V could both be hooked up to a ram-air set-up. They both hook into an "air box" because the inner cooler is self contained. The ZR1 has a "ram-air" induction...
__________________
R.I.P. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373249
Back Street Performance has done a great job with ALL my Performance & Suspension mods, highly recommend them (Rich@BSP) he's in my friends list. https://youtu.be/Lht8sKe1Maw
TLSTWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:45 AM   #70
tylermoore
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss/LS3 Victory Red
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: kinston, NC
Posts: 251
it would be cool to see an intercooler behind that lower grille with the old style z28 emblem on the intercooler itself JMO. gonna be a awesome car...
__________________
2010 Camaro SS/LS3
1998 Camaro Z28 A4
tylermoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:40 AM   #71
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro
 
Scarrzz's Avatar
 
Drives: Suzuki Hayabusa
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana, CO, GA, TX, etc.
Posts: 1,992


If that's going to be my hood, I am officially doing the freakin' Dance of Joy in the parking lot when it shows up. For my money, that's the hottest, most futuristic look possible.

If that's not the hood, I'll try to find one, maybe in carbon.

.
__________________
.
__________________________________
................................................The Faithful are Watching.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #72
ParisTNDude

 
ParisTNDude's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, TN
Posts: 2,078
Geeeeesh, no body colored roof plastic thingy? Who would want one without that!!!
ParisTNDude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #73
SS-screamer
 
Drives: SIM RS/SS L99
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post


If that's going to be my hood, I am officially doing the freakin' Dance of Joy in the parking lot when it shows up. For my money, that's the hottest, most futuristic look possible.

If that's not the hood, I'll try to find one, maybe in carbon.

.
Ditto. That is the absolutely best hood out there right now. I will be more than happy if it shows up to my house with that
SS-screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #74
The Flash
 
The Flash's Avatar
 
Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Panama
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
nothing official, still speculation. more then likely the manual will be a tr6060 or if you're into the aftermarket called the t-56 magnum. as for the engine. some 6.2L that's supercharged. . .lol.

What about suspension??. . .i think that will make or brake the car as much as the engine and transmission setup.
Thanks for the clarification boxmonkeyracing!!!!

You're totally right in that the suspension set up is also critical, however my guess is that GM marketing people and engineering Dept. will concurr in that the Z28 will appeal and attract a particular niche of the sports/gt car market.

In so, I expect them to offer a very highly tuned sport suspension, biased towards improving lateral grip first (roadracing), then launching capabilities (drag racing) as a second priority and leaving a marginal level of comfort for daily street driving as their third goal.

I remain puzzled as to the engine and tranny choice since at times I feel that GM as painted itself into a corner here: a Z28 "raison d'etrè" is to be a superior performing version of the standard issue CAMARO, which means higher power and torque, so, what space does GM have to do this??.

In the upper echelons of their cars line up is the LS9 engine (a supercharged version of the LS3 with some additional interesting engineering modifications) which powers the CORVETTE ZR1: all the day dreaming in the world will not make an auto manufacturer shot itself in foot and offer its most potent engine in a less expensive car package which is also as visually appealing as its most expensive sports car yet goes one tier up the ladder with a decent/usable back seating for two and a huge closed trunk!!

So forget about the LS9 600+ hp for the Z28. It is an unreal option imho.

Then there is the LS7, displacing 7+ liters and powering up the CORVETTE Z06.

Similar reasoning applies here: the Z06 remains in the line up since most enthusiasts covet a higher dose of hp and torque than offered by standard VETTE's but few can afford the price tag of the ZR1 and, let's face it, once that amount of money comes into perspective even hard core american automobile loyalists begin to have visions of european exotics.

So the Z06 has a market and its unlikely its engine will be offered in the Z28 for the same issues I refered to about the ZR1 engine.

Then the other issue is the horsepower plateau: the LS7 is already in the 500+ bracket, some 80hp above the CAMARO's stock LS3, but its max torque output is just about 470 lb/ft, hovering a stone throw above the LS3's 420 lb/ft benchmark.

There is not much distance beween these engines in terms of output performance, so I believe it is difficult for GM to come up with an engine configuration for the Z28 that improves on the performance capabilities of the LS3 used in the standard CAMARO, while at the same time avoiding to invade the turf of its other best selling sports cars and simultaneously there is the need of having such engine based on a powerplant being manufactured now (I do not think a business case can be made for making a new engine and tranny designed solely for the Z28 -- the car selling figures will never justify it).

What options remain??? In my humble view, a way out of this cunundrum is to outsource the engine & tranny, and perhaps some other specs too, from a specialty shop, like GM used to do with Street Legal Performance (SLP) when they offered the FIREBIRD FIREHAWK, which you could buy back then from any PONTIAC dealer.

Anyway, this is why I asked about the final engine & tranny choice being announced or not: there is a lot of speculation, desiformation and wishful thinking about this, but until GM makes a product and marketing decision on this front and commits to it, I do not see the Z28 happening, despite how much I'd love it.

The release date will keep on being postponed and pushed further in the calendar until this issue is dealt with, imho.

Incidentally, tommyn2, watch your words.!! This is the same company (despite its bankruptcy reorganization) who once had the foresight of making a dashing car like the FIERO, only to juggle with at least four different engine configurations during its production cycle, all of them vastly inadequate, leading to the early demise of an otherwise cool looking design.

They also made the Caddy Allanté, the Aztek, the ... shall I go on????

So while you think that your joke was cute, better watch what you write... there are always those clueless souls that cannot differentiate sarcasm from intelligent expression... and some of them, unfortunately, are also car company executives!!!

Safe driving to all,


The Flash
__________________
The Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #75
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...
 
DroptopZ's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 495
I see your point, but don't you think that using the LS7 would make just as much sense as using the LSA, to a certain degree? While we can debate about whether 470 torque and 420 torque are a 'stone's throw' from each-other, I don't see the difference between using the two power-plants as it relates to the Camaro.

Logically, if the Z28 is using the LSA then THAT version of the Camaro SHOULD draw buyers from the base 'Vette, right? Probably not as much as you'd think. They are completely different cars... and while I see your logic that the Camaro being in a second, visually appealing package coupled with a back-seat might be 'added benefits' that lure buyers, I think the Corvette appeals to a narrow segment of the population and its nameplate alone draws customers (as evidenced by the fact that LS1 Camaros and Firebirds were nearly as fast in a straight line, and still sold, but so did the 'vette). The cars DO compete... if what you're looking at is straight line performance. HOWEVER, the Corvette is a vastly superior setup for track applications... and if you are craving a higher dose of HP than a standard Vette but also want blistering cornering, the Z06 is an excellent platform for that.

I suppose the essence of my point is that GM using the LSA or LS7 both make sense... and I could easily see them churning out an LS7 version of the Camaro to out-do the Mustang Laguna Seca edition, etc. After all, the LS7 is known to have a more difficult time with boost (in stock form) than the LS3 or LS9. It can be a BEAST with heads/cam, though. In fact, I think many of the people who like tuning N/A motors might be drawn to a 7.0L COPO Camaro that was slightly less expensive than the Z28. Do I think they'll do it? Probably not... but mostly because, for the small segment-gap in price, it wouldn't be efficient to do R&D on a 6.2L SS, a 7.0L "COPO" or similar, and the 6.2L supercharged LSA Z28. I agree with you that they likely won't use the LS9 as that is reserved for the flagship car, though...

By the way, I'm terribly sorry if I misunderstood your point. I'm exhausted and running on very little sleep
__________________
'88 IROC-Z vert (14.9 @ 92.3) //
'10 2SS/RS LS3 - 423 RWHP, 418 RWTQ

DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #76
The Flash
 
The Flash's Avatar
 
Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Panama
Posts: 246
Will GM dare manufacture the Z28 on an existing upper level engine??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptopZ View Post
I see your point, but don't you think that using the LS7 would make just as much sense as using the LSA, to a certain degree? While we can debate about whether 470 torque and 420 torque are a 'stone's throw' from each-other, I don't see the difference between using the two power-plants as it relates to the Camaro.

Logically, if the Z28 is using the LSA then THAT version of the Camaro SHOULD draw buyers from the base 'Vette, right? Probably not as much as you'd think. They are completely different cars... and while I see your logic that the Camaro being in a second, visually appealing package coupled with a back-seat might be 'added benefits' that lure buyers, I think the Corvette appeals to a narrow segment of the population and its nameplate alone draws customers (as evidenced by the fact that LS1 Camaros and Firebirds were nearly as fast in a straight line, and still sold, but so did the 'vette). The cars DO compete... if what you're looking at is straight line performance. HOWEVER, the Corvette is a vastly superior setup for track applications... and if you are craving a higher dose of HP than a standard Vette but also want blistering cornering, the Z06 is an excellent platform for that.

I suppose the essence of my point is that GM using the LSA or LS7 both make sense... and I could easily see them churning out an LS7 version of the Camaro to out-do the Mustang Laguna Seca edition, etc. After all, the LS7 is known to have a more difficult time with boost (in stock form) than the LS3 or LS9. It can be a BEAST with heads/cam, though. In fact, I think many of the people who like tuning N/A motors might be drawn to a 7.0L COPO Camaro that was slightly less expensive than the Z28. Do I think they'll do it? Probably not... but mostly because, for the small segment-gap in price, it wouldn't be efficient to do R&D on a 6.2L SS, a 7.0L "COPO" or similar, and the 6.2L supercharged LSA Z28. I agree with you that they likely won't use the LS9 as that is reserved for the flagship car, though...

By the way, I'm terribly sorry if I misunderstood your point. I'm exhausted and running on very little sleep

Au Contrair, DroptopZ!!!!

You got the point correctly. And your logic is sound too, although I beg to differ on the end result.

You are probably correct in that an LS7 engined Z28 will not draw too many buyers from the CORVETTE, however my point is: will GM dare to thread in such delicate ground???

As much as we, car enthusiasts, hate it, cars are manufactured as an enterprise product, profitability being at the core of each production cycle scheme.

While in better times I believe GM might have risked it and carry on the approach that you suggest, I believe that today's GM will not dare so.

The smell of bankruptcy is still pungent on its executive corridors and I'm sure more than one company director is secretly surprised, elated (and relieved) that during the economic debacle of the last 24 months, their flag sports car, CORVETTE and the new sport offering, CAMARO, made not only the black ink, but actually posted good returns and sustained sales figures.

Let's remember that these are dedicated platforms which share very, very little components with other cars produced by GM. Their figures have to make it on their own for them to continue being viable and to continue being a profit center for the company.

I do not know this for a fact but I will not be surprised if there is some corporate directive forbidding the Z28 to be developed at the expense of jeopardizing or affecting the market niche and the sales figures of the CORVETTE icon, which is making money in these hard times: the directive might be akin to "bring in more customers, not divide the ones we already have".

Then again perhaps I'm too locked in this train of tought and your proposal might make the best business model to follow for both model vehicles.

On one thing I'm certain though: there is still a debate within the powers that be at GM and until this is settled one way or another, we will have no real commitment to deliver the Z28.

Finally: my absolute respect to the businessmen and businesswomen of the car industry. My words towards them might sound harsh, however, without their focus on the business part of the equation required to manufacture, distribute and sell autos in a profitable manner, most of the automotive dreams that were once seated or are now awaiting inside our garages will have never seen the light of day.

I guess some boneheads have to do the dirty job...Ooopps!! Here I go again!

Best regards,


The Flash

p.d.: sorry about the previous incomplete posting... let's call it a botched gearshift..!
__________________
The Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #77
MainStMafia
Trevor Moore
 
MainStMafia's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Chevy Camero
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8
Oh yea I've gotta have the 2012 z28. Steve Pace at Gus Palos chevy says no worries I'll be one of the if not first on the list when they are available to order. I'm friggin stoked.
__________________
Trevor Moore
Handle: MainSt Mafia
cell: (801) 682-3975

Last edited by MainStMafia; 09-24-2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Misspelling
MainStMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #78
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...
 
DroptopZ's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 495
Flash, I see your point I disagree slightly, but I do understand exactly what you mean.

I suppose I think they'll be unlikely to use the LS7 only because there wouldn't be a market for mass-production of an LS3/L99 Camaro, an LS7, AND and LSA... but I do think that using the LSA is practically like intruding on the exclusivity of the Corvette's powerplants in the sense that it is more powerful than the LS7 and much like a de-tuned LS9. I suppose the end result of our reasonings are the same though: we will likely not see an LS7 Camaro :(

I'm still holding out for some kind of a 'special edition' that they might throw together with larger motor and factory warranty. But then, a 427 5G Camaro is my wet dream :P
__________________
'88 IROC-Z vert (14.9 @ 92.3) //
'10 2SS/RS LS3 - 423 RWHP, 418 RWTQ

DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #79
The Flash
 
The Flash's Avatar
 
Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Panama
Posts: 246
Now there, we see eye to eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptopZ View Post
Flash, I see your point I disagree slightly, but I do understand exactly what you mean.

I suppose I think they'll be unlikely to use the LS7 only because there wouldn't be a market for mass-production of an LS3/L99 Camaro, an LS7, AND and LSA... but I do think that using the LSA is practically like intruding on the exclusivity of the Corvette's powerplants in the sense that it is more powerful than the LS7 and much like a de-tuned LS9. I suppose the end result of our reasonings are the same though: we will likely not see an LS7 Camaro :(

I'm still holding out for some kind of a 'special edition' that they might throw together with larger motor and factory warranty. But then, a 427 5G Camaro is my wet dream :P

Agreed DroptopZ : an LS7 engined Z28 is unlikely, much to our chagrin and automotive sorrow.

I have two hearts on the LSA though and that's why I was not even mentioning it: I fully concur with you in that using an LSA for the Z28 is like you presented it "intruding in the exclusivity of Corvette powerplants"... yet also it seems a logical option for a Z28 model from the pure standpoint of availability.

I agree with your view that to employ the LSA is a further transgression in this regard because of its output levels placing it just above the LS7 but below the LS9 (of which it is a detuned version of sorts as you wrote). This makes its use for a Z28 even harder to occur.

On the other hand, I cannot believe that GM will spend all the costs of developing this engine (even if its a spin off the LS9 there must have been some costs involved in re-designing, testing, etc.) plus the factory tooling costs and then relegate it to be exclusively used in the CTS-V.

No matter how good are that car sales (the CTS-V), I do not think they reach the levels required to justify a stand alone engine.

So this is where I harbor a little hope that this engine might find its way into a CAMARO chasis.

I have to be honest here: I do not believe it would be inside a Z28 though.

Probably towards the end of the production cycle of the fifth generation CAMARO, there will be a kind of special edition offering called an IROC edition, an Anniversary SS, a YENKO Classic, or whatever else.

It might not be manufactured in the higher production figures of a Z28 and so it will not detract much from the CORVETTE market, therefore abiding by all corporate canon and directive.

If I'm lucky that will not occur for another five years at least, so by then I hope to be able to sell my 2SS taking about 50% loss in its original purchase price, and put forward the additional cash for such collectible car.

I also have my delusional expectations on a more powerful GM manufactured CAMARO.

My brain's right hemisphere wishes it were a Z28 though, but the left side is very skeptical.

Let's see. In the mean time it was very pleasant discussing this issue.

Have a safe and enjoyable weekend,


The Flash
__________________
The Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #80
Shelby
 
Shelby's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS (hers), 2013 ZL1 (his)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pekin, IL
Posts: 40
Suhweeet!
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #81
wildpaws

 
wildpaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Blazer
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
Agreed DroptopZ :

On the other hand, I cannot believe that GM will spend all the costs of developing this engine (even if its a spin off the LS9 there must have been some costs involved in re-designing, testing, etc.) plus the factory tooling costs and then relegate it to be exclusively used in the CTS-V.

No matter how good are that car sales (the CTS-V), I do not think they reach the levels required to justify a stand alone engine.
The Flash
The LSA has never been a standalone engine for the CTS-V only, Holden Motors (a GMC subsidiary/partner) has a Holden vehicle in Austrailia with the LSA and Vauxhall has an LSA variant in the UK (though it is built by Holden). So the LSA is already in at least three different GM lines/models.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #82
The Black Stig
 
Drives: almost
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lakemoor
Posts: 70
IMHO LSA engine making 580-600 Horse but rated at 550H.P. lets be honest this works too underrate it an people will think it's the shit and it won't compete with the other cars on a paper or real life a 600 horse maro Will not touch a zr1 x2 at the current vehicle weights. What the public is told and believes are usually far fetched from the truth. They could bump the power up in the cts-v but lets be honest it's a fast luxo barge who cares if you get beat by a camaro i got heated leather reacros for Christ's sake lol...
__________________
¿ʞuıɥʇ noʎ ʇ,uop 'ǝɹɹɐzıq
The Black Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #83
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover
 
calbert1999's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario (Canada)
Posts: 2,856
Don't see the big deal. Put an SC, and some rubber on your SS and you have a Z28 ta-da.
__________________
2010 Camaro SS, P1SC SuperCharged Livernois LSX429ci., 1 7/8" LT Headers, full 3" MBRP exhaust, SPI built/tuned, a total
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #84
2010_5thgen


 
2010_5thgen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Don't see the big deal. Put an SC, and some rubber on your SS and you have a Z28 ta-da.
ive been saying that the whole time
__________________
http://www.gofundme.com/n7ne44

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #85
tweeter81
 
tweeter81's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gillette, WY
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
ive been saying that the whole time
You two can both simply slap on a supercharger on your LS3s and try and fit some wider tires (good luck making 285s and 325s fit, by the way), and then do a drag run or, even better, take a lap around a road course and see how close your non-Warranty SS comes to the Z/28. It won't even be close, you would get destroyed. There is a few other tiny details that you are forgetting about that will make the Z/28 a vastly superior platform: MR shocks, huge rubber, better cooling, more aggressive bodywork, awesome CTS-V brakes, and an intact GM Warranty.

But, by all means, keep modding those SS's of yours (and see if you can match the list above and come in under $50K), meanwhile the guys who buy Z/28s will mod them as well, and basically have supercar performance at that point.
__________________

2004 CTS-V
Mods: CAI, Spoiler, SW Heat Extractor Hood, PC'ed CCW SP600 wheels (19"x9" and 19"x10"), Toyo R888 (F: 235/35ZR19 - R: 295/30ZR19), Magnaflow Cat-back, UUC Shifter w/ bushings, Ground Control Coilover Kit (750f/800r), FG2 shocks, Hotchkis Swaybars, Custom FRCs, Kooks 1 3/4" Coated LT Headers, ARP Header Studs, NGK TR55ix, SS Brake Lines, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk HP+ Pads, GForce Axles, Monster Stage 2 w/ 18 lb Flywheel, D.P.S.E. Dyno Tune = 351 hp/ 365 ft-lbs (corrected)
tweeter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.