Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > Exterior Parts & Accessories

Exterior Parts & Accessories All exterior parts and accessories.

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
HeadlightArmor

Drives: Company Car
Post 3D Textured Carbon Fiber Wrap Now Available From Headlight Armor

3D Textured Carbon Fiber Film Now Available at Headlight Armor!

Guaranteed Lowest Delivered Price on 24" and 60" Wide Rolls of Carbon Fiber Wrap! We will not be undersold.

Carbon Fiber is one of the hottest looks now and after Months of research and product testing Headlight Armor is pleased to announce the addition of Hexis 3D Carbon Fiber Film to its product lineup! This revolutionary material is manufactured by Hexis S.A. under ISO 9001 standards. HX30000 films are Cast vinyl’s specially designed for full vehicle wraps - unlike other materials you may have seen from other manufacturers. The film is a multi-layered 3D / textured / structured cast PVC vinyl. It's textured / 3D / woven looking surface catches light just like true dry carbon giving it a rich depth as well as a tactile response! Because of its extreme flexibility, high conformability, HEX’Press adhesive facilitates air egress thus avoiding bubbles and creases during application - fast and risk free applications are practically guaranteed. It is particularly recommended for complex compound curved surfaces and long-term outdoor applications. Hexis HX30000 is the ideal high-end solution for vehicle applications with long life cycles.

The material is very flexible and highly conformable. What can you cover? You can overlay almost anything with a clean smooth surface! Popular applications include smart phones, laptop cases, and other electronics. Popular vehicle applications include the roof panel, hood, trunk lids, spoilers, chrome trim, interior trim and more. The list really does go on!
Highly Flexible and thermo formable!

Apply to small electronics – Western Digital Portable Hard Drive

Bow Ties

Chrome Exterior Trim

Your Hood or Roof

Spoilers

Interior Trim

Creativity is your main limit!

We are so confident that once you see it you will love it, we are offering a free sample! We will even mail it to you for free! Nothing to lose. Click HERE for your Free Carbon Fiber Sample.

We have added a variety of sheets and rolls to the site here and will be adding more over the coming weeks. Check it out. If you are looking for a specific dimension for a project and don’t want a long length, please let us know and I can see if we can have the size added to the site.

Last edited by HeadlightArmor; 10-28-2014 at 12:26 PM.
HeadlightArmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Wow that stuff looks awesome. Might have to pick up a few rolls of that stuff. If you guys want some shots of your wrap on a camaro just let me know.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
HeadlightArmor

Post DIY Tutorial is up for wrapping your bow ties in Carbon Fiber Film

Thanks! We just added a DIY tutorial in the Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions here - DIY Wrapping your Bow Ties with Carbon Fiber Film

The piece needed for the bow ties is on the site here.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
Jaysin
I Void Warranties

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Nice product. I ordered a sample.

Can it be clear coated?

Kooks Headers, CAI Inc. Intake, Catch Can, Pedders Supercar Coilovers, Sway Bars, All Pedders Bushings, Spohn Trailing Arms and Toe Links...
Jaysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro, 2012 370Z
Isn't this 3M DI NOC? It looks like it. I did my bowties and engine cover with this stuff and I also clearcoated it a couple times.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
Isn't this 3M DI NOC? It looks like it. I did my bowties and engine cover with this stuff and I also clearcoated it a couple times.
Sure does.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
Cmlloveless

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Yea the only real difference I noticed on your site was that it says that this stuff can be removed without damaging what it was on. To me that sounds like it just doesnt stick as well...
Cmlloveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:13 AM   #8
mst504

Drives: 2010 Orange SS L99 HPE Supercharged
A camaro body completely covered in carbon fiber would be so sick.
mst504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:17 AM   #9
Cmlloveless

Oh P.S. That is a very nice Aston Martin, not sure why someone with the money for a car like that would want to put any kind of fake carbon fiber on it!!
Old 10-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #10
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
id like to do my roof in this
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
HeadlightArmor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
Nice product. I ordered a sample.

Can it be clear coated?
The sample should go out Monday, you should have it toward the end of the week. Somebody asked on another forum we sponsored yesterday. I don't think clear coating it would work, we have not tried it. You could always try with the free sample and see how it goes.

Quote:
Isn't this 3M DI NOC? It looks like it.
No, it is not 3M Di Noc, it is better and a for automotive uses a lot better choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmlloveless View Post
Yea the only real difference I noticed on your site was that it says that this stuff can be removed without damaging what it was on. To me that sounds like it just doesn't stick as well...
No, what it means is that it wont damage what you apply it to when you go to remove it. If you apply 3M Di-Noc to say your roof or interior trim and then go to remove it down the road, you will likely damage what it was applied to. i.e pulling the paint off your roof...

Some of you may have heard of 3M's Architectural Finish called Di-Noc. We also looked into this but given what it was designed for along with its overall properties we determined it was not the best solution for automotive applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mst504 View Post
A camaro body completely covered in carbon fiber would be so sick.
Sound like an ambitious plan, I know where you can get a lot of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmlloveless View Post
Oh P.S. That is a very nice Aston Martin, not sure why someone with the money for a car like that would want to put any kind of fake carbon fiber on it!!
The Aston Martin is a FIA GT race car being campaigned and sponsored by the manufacturer in Europe - this one was used in a show to show the application of the material on highly complex surfaces more info here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
id like to do my roof in this

As always, please let us know if you have any questions.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
those bowties look great. Mine are allready blacked out, but i think im gonna switch them to this.

I also have some other ideas for this, are you guys able to pre cut them?
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #13
TaylorRyanSS

I tried doing my roof with 3M DI NOC a couple months ago but it was too hard. It did not damage the paint when I removed it. I think the 3M is probably just as good, but this stuff seems like it is a little cheaper. I paid $150 for a roll that was barely big enough for the roof.

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
Old 10-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #14
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Quote:
I tried doing my roof with 3M DI NOC a couple months ago but it was too hard. It did not damage the paint when I removed it. I think the 3M is probably just as good, but this stuff seems like it is a little cheaper. I paid $150 for a roll that was barely big enough for the roof.
how did you apply it? water and squegee it out? i can do deals, but something that comes in a square sheet that needs to be custom cut will drive me nuts..
Old 10-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #15
Allen English
Every day is a happy day

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS BLK/BLK
Looks like a viable product to try. I have been thinking about purchasing some real carbon fiber to skin my ground effects with. PM me the cost and how I could get a small sample please.

P.S. I have some clear coat that I could spray on the sample to see how it reacts if you would like.

Thanks

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS A6 Black on Black
2002 S10 PickUp
2007 Victory Red SS Cobalt "For Sale, My wife wants a Chevrolet Volt"
Allen English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #16
TaylorRyanSS

Quote:
how did you apply it? water and squegee it out? i can do deals, but something that comes in a square sheet that needs to be custom cut will drive me nuts..
You are supposed to dry install it. It was hard dealing with a piece that huge, I used a blow dryer to keep it warm but I should have used a heat gun.

Here is a vid I used to help me with mine, but it was still too hard to do.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #17
HeadlightArmor

Quote:
how did you apply it? water and squeegee it out? i can do deals, but something that comes in a square sheet that needs to be custom cut will drive me nuts..
For all applications, big and small, they are done dry. The adhesive has air release channels to facilitate a smooth install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen English View Post
Looks like a viable product to try. I have been thinking about purchasing some real carbon fiber to skin my ground effects with. PM me the cost and how I could get a small sample please.
We have a variety of sizes of sheets & rolls of the carbon fiber material on the site here, and will likely be adding more in the coming weeks.

The free carbon fiber wrap sample is on the site here

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
those bowties look great. Mine are already blacked out, but i think I'm gonna switch them to this.

I also have some other ideas for this, are you guys able to pre cut them?
Thanks, we have a DIY for the application of the bowties on Camaro5 here in case anybody missed it. They are a pretty simple DIY. We don't have any current plans for precutting them as it really in easier for this particular application to use a larger sheet.

The sheet you need to do wrap both Camaro bow ties in carbon fiber wrap is on the site here

Quote:
With Di-Noc the longer you leave it on the more difficult it is to remove.

Snippet from 3M's technical bulletin on the removal of Di-Noc

Unlike 3M's, this material we have was made for automotive wrapping first and foremost! So removal is going to be a heck of a lot easier than with 3M's stuff.

Quote:
You are supposed to dry install it. It was hard dealing with a piece that huge, I used a blow dryer to keep it warm but I should have used a heat gun.

Here is a vid I used to help me with mine, but it was still too hard to do.
Interesting video. Lots of hands on that one... For the roof you can remove just half the backing paper - apply that half, then do the other side, then finish the edges. An extra set of hand can be helpful. Oh, and we do recommend a heat gun over a hair dryer.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:40 PM   #18
HeadlightArmor

Post Camaro Carbon Wrap Roof Size

Quote:
Update: I just measured the roof of the Camaro for those that are interested, I am not surprised you has so much trouble with 3M's material. 3M is limited to 48 inches wide where ours comes 54" wide, and by our standards 48" wide would not be wide enough to adaquetly work with the material on a Camaro roof application.

The necessary size is 54" wide by 60" (5 feet) long
Old 10-31-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

looks like ima need 3-4 people to do my roof...
Old 11-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #20
HeadlightArmor

Post Headlight Armor's Carbon Fiber on Bow Ties - Different Color Camaro's

Took some photos holding up the rear bow tie we wrapped with the 3D Carbon Fiber film on a variety of different colors

We have a DIY for the application of the bow ties on Camaro5 here in case anybody missed it. They are a pretty simple DIY.

The sheet you need to do wrap both Camaro bow ties in carbon fiber wrap is on the site here
Old 11-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #21
Cmlloveless

How plyable/stretchy is this stuff? A flat or slighlty curved surface is one thing, but if someone was looking to wrap accent pieces such as the bezel around the speedometer is this stuff plyable enough to make those angle without wrinkling up around the edges?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #22
HeadlightArmor

When warmed the material is very pliable and can be stretched 50%. The following show the pliability

First the stock chrome grill surround:

The bumper cover was removed and the chrome surround removed completely and brought to a workbench. A single sheet was used and the piece was completely wrapped - including the outside perimeter that is mainly covered by the bumper cover once installed.

Closeup of the lower corner - the one with the most stretch.

The grill surround was laid on a work bench and the sheet laid on top of it. The material was heated and slowly stretched down to the back of the material. In the above photo the material would be applied to the front surface and pressed into the photo. Hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any other questions or need some clarification on anything.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #23
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
sample ordered!

How resistant to road damage is this stuff? have you seen any long term installs yet? In an area that would be subject to rocks/bugs etc?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #24
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

^ would like to know cause i go to alot of shipyards, and i would like to do this to avoid overspray from the sandblasting on the paint...
Old 11-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #25
HeadlightArmor

As far as impact resistance goes, it is going to be better than nothing as far as protecting the paint goes, but it is not as strong as paint protection film - it was designed as a wrap material not as paint protection. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.