Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nightowl LED
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
011silver 2SS

Drives: 2011 2ss inlaid silver seats a6
aftermarket car cover

whats a good quality car cover for the camaro without spending the big dollar for the gm oem. getting ready to store it for the winter.
011silver 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Empire covers sell good covers for a good price!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
011silver 2SS

Drives: 2011 2ss inlaid silver seats a6
any one else use them?
011silver 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
kd4hey
Motorhead Wannabe

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (L99) RJT
Send a message via Skype™ to kd4hey
California Custom Car Cover has several lines for different uses (indoor only, indoor/outdoor, water resistant, etc.) depending upon your needs. Available in several colors with or without custom embroidery. Not cheap, but certainly worth the $$. I bought the StormWeave model & couldn't be happier.

2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT VIN# 116938 Del: 27AUG2010 "Veronica" is a wet dream on wheels!
Former Ride: 2010 1LT RJT 15AUG2009 - 27AUG2010 "Victoria" was one fine lady! CamaroSouth - Columbia Chapter Member
kd4hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
Memphis SS

Drives: 2011 SS/RS A6 White/Orange Stripes
Covercraft Noah is a very good car cover. I have one for the Corvette and the SS. Very good fit.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I've used California car covers for over 15 years- there the best in my opinion.
myold88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Memphis SS

Drives: 2011 SS/RS A6 White/Orange Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I've used California car covers for over 15 years- there the best in my opinion.
Both California and Covercraft use Kimberly Clark's NOAH material and both have a good fit so you can't go wrong with either brand
Old 10-31-2010, 09:58 AM   #8
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
garage.

*TROPHY RECIPIENT - GREATEST SHOW ON TURF 9/11/11*
*1ST PLACE MODERN MUSCLE - CORONADO SPEED FESTIVAL 9/23/11*
*AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - GOOD GUYS DEL MAR FALL NATIONALS 11/27/11*
*1ST PLACE / '82&UP CAMARO/FIREBIRD- FORT WALTON BEACH FF SHOW 2/16/13*
BUILD THREAD: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120353
GB EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Both California and Covercraft use Kimberly Clark's NOAH material and both have a good fit so you can't go wrong with either brand
NOAH material is excellent. Any cover manufacturer using this material is good. Just shop for the best price and you're done.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
Shadowjack

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS RS
I got a Weathershield HP from covercraft. They rate it equal to the NOAH except in thermal and dent protection. It's lighter and packs smaller but it does cost about 100 more. I'm quite satisfied so far. (indoor/outdoor)
Shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
mad@gm

Drives: was a 2010 2SS/RS
Don't waste your money on the oem cover like I did. It's made out of some tent like material with rough thread stitching and absolutely scratched the crap out of my clear coat last year, won't use that cover anymore!
mad@gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I have to ask, do any of the ones mentioned above scratch the car up? I want to...NEED to get a car cover but don't want to scratch the paint.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
Kendell347
Doc

Drives: BLACKOUT (2SS/RS)
+1 for Noah...great quality
1100-7/20/2009 * 6000-2/4/10 Proud Owner of Autographed Litho # 128Mods: CAI CAI, Emblempros Dash Plaque, R/C Lic. Plate, Fbodfathers signature, AAC SMD SML, AAC P13 LED DRL, TF center console, Full dash ABL, Noweed Exhaust Diverters, Heritage Grille, Door Projectors, 20watt LED reverse lights with strobe features, S.S. black billet grille with air scoops, custom designed engine cover, custom designed "BLACKOUT" cross drilled / slotted rotors, Borla S-type exhaust, Elite Engineering oil catch can, Nitto Invo Tires WWW. NY5THGEN.COM
Kendell347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #14
Shadowjack

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS RS
If you cover it dirty, you risk scratching no matter what cover you choose. If you keep your car clean, scratching should not be a problem.
Shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Which Cover is Right For You? That's a good question!

Ready-fit, custom-fit, Noah, Evolution, WeatherShield HD, WeatherShield HP, Reflec'Tect, Dustop, mirror pockets, antenna grommets, colors, tie downs...How's a person to figure this all out?

Here are the information on our Car Cover's for your review:

Q: WEATHERSHIELD HD:
A: This fabric was designed for the RV market where vehicles may have sharp edges and are stored outdoors for long periods of time. We like to describe WEATHERSHIELD HD as being almost bulletproof. It's overkill for most car cover applications but
it's perfect for long term, outdoor storage in high UV conditions (i.e. Florida, Texas, Arizona, Hawaii, etc,) because the material is solution dyed making it extremely fade resistant.

Q: WEATHERSHIELD HP:
A: Our all around best cover material. WEATHERSHIELD HP sheds water on contact, has excellent UV resistance and is by far the easiest cover material to install and remove. Even if you want an indoor cover that might
be used outdoors only occasionally, we would still recommend WEATHERSHIELD HP because of this material's excellent dust resistance. WEATHERSHIELD HP covers are fully breathable, pack up tightly for vehicles with small trunks (Corvettes!), can be machine washed at home in a home-sized washer and dryer and are available in 8 colors. This is the perfect every day use cover.

Q: REFLEC'TECT:
A: Reflec'Tect was designed for hot and sunny climates. The unique silver coating reflects sun to keep your car cooler than it
it normally would be. Plus, the material is a very lightweight making it easy to manage and stores in a small bundle.

Q: NOAH:
A: We like to think of NOAH and EVOLUTION as the "Best Value" twins. Both are in what we call the mid-price range and both are typically $100. less than a WEATHERSHIELD HP cover.
Each material has different strengths. NOAH has a better moisture barrier which gives it better water resistance and is a lighter, more flexible fabric. It's easier to put on and remove than an EVOLUTION cover but not close to the ease-of-use of WEATHERSHIELD HP. In a nutshell, for most men and women, a great value, use-every-day cover.

Q: EVOLUTION:
A: Originally designed in 1983 this material was the industry's first non-woven car cover material and was king-of-the hill for nearly a decade. It has been upgraded recently with additional UV inhibitors and is now one of our "Best Value" twins.
The Evolution is an extremely tough, hard-to-tear material which cushions against scuffs and bumps, parking dings and punctures from small animals (small cats, birds, lizards and squirrels). Again we have to state that no cover is "critter proof" and damage from animals scratching or climbing on the fabric is not covered under warranty. EVOLUTION is more breathable than NOAH allowing for more rapid evaporation of trapped moisture (condensation) and now has a higher UV resistance than NOAH. Because this is a 4-layer material, it is heavier (especially when wet) and bulkier than NOAH making it harder to put on, remove and store. We recommend EVOLUTION as an occasional use cover or extended storage cover. If you're going to be storing a vehicle outdoors (especially in the sunbelt) for weeks at a time (not months), EVOLUTION is an excellent choice.

Q: BLOCK-IT 200:
A: Previously called Sentrex, this is our budget priced, three-layer material for good, basic protection against dew, frost and rain. It's a good indoor cover and can still be used outdoors occasionally. We have customers
that need a cover for two to six months while a house is being finished or remodeled and don't want to invest a lot of money in a cover that will ultimately be discarded. BLOCK-IT 200 is perfect for that application. While we understand the limitations of this material, it is still head and shoulders better in fabric quality, construction quality and fit than the Chinese-made cover you'll find at mass-market and chain auto parts stores

Q: FORM-FIT:
A: This is our best, top-of-the-line, indoor only material. It's more like lingerie for your car. These covers are sexy! We use a polyester knit with a Lycra/Spandex added to the yarn. It's like a soft, fleece robe yet it follows the lines and contours of the car. This approach requires us to make all new patterns so applications are limited to selected collector, exotic and enthusiast cars.

Q: DUSTOP:
A: This is our best value in an indoor only fabric. It's a 4-layer non-woven composite, ultrasonically laminated to provide a high degree of dust protection. It actually offers over 4 times the dust protection of woven flannels yet is breathable to allow for moisture evaporation. The DUSTOP
fabric is lighter, stronger, and easier to handle than woven flannel yet pampers your car’s finish. This is the cover most enthusiasts use for indoor only storage.

Q: Will covers fade?
A: Yes, all covers, especially those of dark colors, will fade over time. WEATHERSHIELD HD is our most fade-resistant material. On other fabrics, silver or gray is the most fade-resistant color. Fading is one reason it was introduced the WEATHERSHIELD MULTI-COLOR.
If the car is stored outdoors, the top of the cover will fade first because it gets the most sun exposure. Instead of making the entire cover in red, black, green or blue, do the top in silver and the sides in the color of your choice. The two tones look great together and the silver top doesn't show fading. There is a small surcharge for doing two tone covers because we have to bring over and lay out two different fabrics for cutting.
Q: Are these covers water resistant or waterproof?
A: All of our covers are highly water resistant. They are not waterproof. The fact is, you do not want a waterproof cover because it would not allow moisture to evaporate. Let me explain. Depending on temperature and humidity conditions it is normal for condensation to form on the vehicle's surface just like dew on the morning grass. Our fabrics are breathable to allow this moisture to evaporate. If the cover were 100% waterproof, when the sun comes out it would super heat the water droplets on the finish and etch water spots into the paint.

Q: How do I care for my car cover?
A: WEATHERSHIELD HP, WEATHERSHIELD HD and FORM-FIT covers can be washed at home in a home-sized washer and dryer by adding 1/2 cup of powder detergent to the wash water.

Other covers can be hosed off while they are on the car and allowed to air dry. To remove a stain, spray the cover with water, spot mist with Fantastik All-Purpose Cleaner, lightly sponge, thoroughly rinse and allow to air dry on the vehicle. Covers can also be cleaned by a commercial Laundromat. Wash using 1/4 cup of Fantastik in warm or cold water in the "Normal" or "Permanent Press" setting. Wash in a machine without an agitator. DO NOT WASH IN HOT WATER. Do not use bleach or fabric softeners. Air dry only. DO NOT put cover in an automatic dryer. DO NOT DRY CLEAN.

I hope this helps any of our forum members is looking for a car cover for their Camaro.

Any help, you can find me at the Vendor Section and PM me there.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:23 AM   #16
Cyber/Orange10

Drives: 2010 2SS 96 CE LT4, 12 CRUZE ECO
Send a message via AIM to Cyber/Orange10
Check out www.calcarcover.com............
Cyber/Orange10 is offline   Reply With Quote