Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #85
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
I have no problem buying a buffer, but was always afraid of burning through my paint in the high spots or putting swirl marks on it or just doing something dumb when I wasn't totally paying attention, like a hot girl walking her dog or something......Can it go bad that fast???
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #86
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
I have no problem buying a buffer, but was always afraid of burning through my paint in the high spots or putting swirl marks on it or just doing something dumb when I wasn't totally paying attention, like a hot girl walking her dog or something......Can it go bad that fast???
Did you watch my PC videos and see how I laid on my Corvette with the polisher? If so, why in the world do you think you could mess up your paint? If you could, do you think that I would let this little girl work on MY CAR? She's even buffing on an edge!

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #87
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
I know you're giving me good advice Junkman. Another question. Adam's Waterless wash applied with soft plush microfiber towels, good or bad?

I have a feeling you'll tell me it's scratch-zilla.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:02 AM   #88
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
I know you're giving me good advice Junkman. Another question. Adam's Waterless wash applied with soft plush microfiber towels, good or bad?

I have a feeling you'll tell me it's scratch-zilla.
Have you watched my Waterless Wash video series which addresses this very question in detail?

Old 11-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #89
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
Great videos.

I am ready to order. Before I spend the money, I just want to know about hand polishing. I'm hearing some people say it takes 30 minutes per fender. Any truth in this?
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #90
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Quote:
Great videos.

I am ready to order. Before I spend the money, I just want to know about hand polishing. I'm hearing some people say it takes 30 minutes per fender. Any truth in this?
It honestly depends on how you want your car to look. Hand polishing can only go so far, but using common sense the longer you go the better it will look to a point. You will never have flawless paint hand polishing.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #91
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Can you post a photo of your car and your buddys car...say the hoods side by side so some of the pros in here can look at the paint. Not likely but it almost sounds like you have a chemical reaction going on. Are you in an area with an environmental exposure...smoke stack, chemical manufacturing? I have seen identical cars here in LA have a similar problem and we were next to a rendering plant!!!

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:54 AM   #92
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Great videos.

Thirty minutes would be a miracle unless you started with darn near flawless paint. If you actually have swirl damage in your paint, 30 days per panel would be more accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
It honestly depends on how you want your car to look. Hand polishing can only go so far, but using common sense the longer you go the better it will look to a point. You will never have flawless paint hand polishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
Can you post a photo of your car and your buddys car...say the hoods side by side so some of the pros in here can look at the paint. Not likely but it almost sounds like you have a chemical reaction going on. Are you in an area with an environmental exposure...smoke stack, chemical manufacturing? I have seen identical cars here in LA have a similar problem and we were next to a rendering plant!!!
A photo like that won't remotely show what needs to be seen. He would need to take an extreme close up of a piece of the hood so that you can actually see the condition of the paint. Anything further back than 12" is worthless. Check out this pic. I can not only see the condition of this paint (scratches and all), I can see the dust sitting on this paint. That's the kind of picture that would need to be taken.

That's why a 10' shot of a car is worthless when someone says look at how flawless their paint is. If you really want to see how flawless it is, you gotta stick your nose in it.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:09 AM   #93
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
I hate my corvette mirrors. ugh