Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #51
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Yes automatics can be downshifted, but especially in simple automatics with manual modes (as is present in the Camaro) there is a delay, so manually downshifting an automatic isn't necessarily much faster than downshifting a manual. The performance gap is certainly shrinking, and some say DCTs and other auto-clutch manuals will make true manuals obsolete, but I still see some degree of greater control with a true manual.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #52
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
The delay in most automatics I've driven is no longer than the time it takes to execute a friendly non-DC shift. If you're good at double-clutching you can certainly get it done faster with a manual. Then again, maybe the Camaro will be programmed to respond immediately.

However, the reason cited for downshifting being so important to manuals (but incorrectly cited as unavailable in automatics) is to prepare ahead of time. For that you don't need a DC-speed downshift.

If you've been taken by surprise, an automatic in "Sport" or "Power" mode will be way faster and more responsive to the gas pedal than manually downshifting the automatic or any driver's shifting of a manual transmission.

I still prefer manual.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote