Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > Transmission / Driveline

Transmission / Driveline Shifters, differentials, gears, rearends, clutch

View our official forum sponsors list.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,901
GROUP BUY ON NEW PISTOL GRIP SHIFTER WITH TAP SHIFT

UPDATED POST 12/28/2011

Hi everyone. I am updating this post so that some important info will be easier to find.

Link to installation instructions.
http://www.cartersfabanddesign.com/carters_011.htm

Link to youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0UbMJ7ebYHk

Link to pic and sketck of purple wire and connector
http://camaro5.com/forums/showpost.p...&postcount=332

The best and fastest way for C5 members to get more info or order is here in the thread or by PM.

Wrinkle black and textured black are usually in stock. Custom colors usually take 2-3 days to assemble.

Here is the price breakdown as of 1/1/2012

Wrinkle black and textured black with polished or brushed frame $259.00

Wrinkle black and textured black with colored frame $269.00

colored grips with polished or brushed frame $269.00

Colored grips with colored frame $279.00

Fully polished grips with polished or colored frame $289.00

Carbon Fiber grips with polished or brushed frame $289.00

As always, free shipping to the US.



Below are a couple of pics of a variety of the colors used. Keep in mind any combo of the pictured colors can be used
Attached Images
  

Last edited by CFD; 03-08-2014 at 05:39 PM.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
AC
***GO HOGS GO***
 
AC's Avatar
 
Drives: 68/327 & 10 2SS SIM w/ CGM Stripes
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 2,217
This is what I've been looking for. I have ran into a couple corner were I have lost the location of the taps because the corners were to shape and would love to be able to use the shifter. Thanks, I will follow your progress.
__________________
Halltech, VMax, BBK Headers, Solo Cats, Custom Exhaust, BMR Suspension, CCW's 10"/11.5", Drilled/Slotted Rotors, 3.91's, 384/402 RW

Halltech CAI, VMax TB, BBK Headers, Solo H/F Cats, Full Custom Exhaust, BMR Suspension & 4 Point Strut Tower Brace, 1LE 3.91 Gears, Drilled & Slotted Rotors
Heritage Grille, CCW SP16a Wheels 10"/11.5" Nitto 275/40 315/35, Painted Calipers, Blackout: Bowtie, Rear Panel, Markers & Side Vents,
SS Fender Badges, 6.2L Cowl Lettering, Pistol Grip Shifter, RPI SS Door Kick Plates, Billet Cup Holder, Fesler Shift Boot, Lloyd Floor Mats..(1/4: 12.917 @ 109.63)
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...
 
ArkySS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,409
Nice!
__________________
It was fun while it lasted.....
ArkySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
This is what I've been looking for. I have ran into a couple corner were I have lost the location of the taps because the corners were to shape and would love to be able to use the shifter. Thanks, I will follow your progress.
All that use these shifters agree it's the most user friendly method of shifting. Button location is the same as our original design for same ease of use and comfort.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
Entaille

 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Everett
Posts: 995
this one looks much cleaner then the original!
__________________

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
decepticon
 
decepticon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: earth
Posts: 89
I like em' if the price is reasonable, I'll definitely get one. is this DIY worthy?
decepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
Entaille

 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Everett
Posts: 995
I think his other shift was priced around 350-400$. I like the newer design better and I don't see anyone designing a stationary column attached shifter set up anytime soon - I'd be a buyer if you end up doing some intro runs around 200$.

definitely DIY worthy and the difficulty of the work is not bad at all.
__________________

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entaille View Post
I think his other shift was priced around 350-400$. I like the newer design better and I don't see anyone designing a stationary column attached shifter set up anytime soon - I'd be a buyer if you end up doing some intro runs around 200$.

definitely DIY worthy and the difficulty of the work is not bad at all.
The original shifters started in that price range but have come down. In re-designing the current pistol grip machine time has been substantially reduced so the price will reflect this with a lower list price. It will be a big savings.

Last edited by CFD; 11-24-2010 at 05:15 AM.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Entaille

 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Everett
Posts: 995
cool deal. I will check it out when it's ready!
__________________

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by decepticon View Post
I like em' if the price is reasonable, I'll definitely get one. is this DIY worthy?
The installation is quite easy and is the same as the original shifter. This link may have some usefull info and a link for the instructions.http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100021
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
Entaille

 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Everett
Posts: 995
-how does the new design feel in your hand?

-button placement still pretty spot on? did the grip style add length making it harder for your fingers to reach, or are you using your thumb?

-typically the shifter has the button to unlock the shifter and allow you to change it's position, where will this have it?

thanks, you've peaked my interest with this one.
__________________

Entaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entaille View Post
-how does the new design feel in your hand?

-button placement still pretty spot on? did the grip style add length making it harder for your fingers to reach, or are you using your thumb?

-typically the shifter has the button to unlock the shifter and allow you to change it's position, where will this have it?

thanks, you've peaked my interest with this one.
The buttons are in pretty much the same location. I rest my hand on top of the shifter and shift with a flick of the thumb. Some hold it as a grip from the side and shift with the thumb, it is very natural.

The release mechanism is internal and is not seen.

The shifter is comfortable, although not as cosmetically pleasing to some the original shifter is more comfortable IMHO. There is a photo here with my hand in the shift position, I use the same hand position on both designs. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100021
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS
 
Caspers2SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Somewhere north of a midlife crisis.
Posts: 2,872
George, Your incredible shifters and the time you've taken, energy and expence to design, build and supply them is worthy of many Kudo's. In time as it allows I'd like join the ranks of other who are appreciative of the opportunity and purchase one as well. Have you considered building one where the swiches are internally mounted and controlled by having the upper portion of the shifter handle alone articulate to the left and right. Once Again Thank You......... Dave/Casper
__________________
I'm not paranoid, they're following me !
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #14
svtjackal
in love with Olivia now.
 
svtjackal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM camaro-2001 svt Lightning
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,012
I like that one much much better than the original, thanks for listening to the criticism and upgrading your product,
__________________

Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin Camaro Owners check out www.chicago5thgen.com
svtjackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtjackal View Post
I like that one much much better than the original, thanks for listening to the criticism and upgrading your product,
I'm a stubborn prick but I do listen.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #16
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspers2SSRS View Post
George, Your incredible shifters and the time you've taken, energy and expence to design, build and supply them is worthy of many Kudo's. In time as it allows I'd like join the ranks of other who are appreciative of the opportunity and purchase one as well. Have you considered building one where the swiches are internally mounted and controlled by having the upper portion of the shifter handle alone articulate to the left and right. Once Again Thank You......... Dave/Casper
Hi Dave. Here is the scoop. In re-designing the shifter (unlike the first version) I came up with some very simple yet innovative design features that allow a lot of flexibility in design capabilities. I have been working on a shifter as you are describing and it functions properly, some more testing to combine shifter function with switch function is needed and is in the very near future.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #17
tarheel34
Go Heels!!!
 
tarheel34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: WV
Posts: 244
When is this gonna be available? I'm thinking this and the Hurst plate = massive win
__________________
Team L99

2010 Summit White 2SS/RS L99: TSP 1 7/8 LTs - Off-Road Pipes | Tuned By BLUECAT | CAI Cold Air Intake | ADM Race Scoop | SLP UD Pulley | VMAX Throttle Body | Magnaflow X-Pipe | Muffler Delete | SLP 160* T-Stat | MSD Wires
tarheel34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #18
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel34 View Post
When is this gonna be available? I'm thinking this and the Hurst plate = massive win
The testing on the prototype is pretty much complete, I will be machining a handfull next week,if there are no glitches with the first run there will be a few ready in two weeks and more to follow upon arrival of switches.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #19
2010 SSRS



 
2010 SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Ocean State
Posts: 123,977
I like it.
__________________
Jannetty Racing JRE Street Package
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #20
D666MAN
D666MAN
 
D666MAN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS Rally Yellow
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jamison,PA
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Hi Dave. Here is the scoop. In re-designing the shifter (unlike the first version) I came up with some very simple yet innovative design features that allow a lot of flexibility in design capabilities. I have been working on a shifter as you are describing and it functions properly, some more testing to combine shifter function with switch function is needed and is in the very near future.
Will this future design operate like the tap shifter I had in my 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T ?
D666MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #21
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by D666MAN View Post
Will this future design operate like the tap shifter I had in my 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T ?
I am not familiar with the Dodge shifter so I cannot answer that.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #22
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged
 
kmcd's Avatar
 
Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,105
George,

I'm already a fan of your first shifter, but I agree that the articulating version would be even better. Please let us know when they're available, as I'm quite sure I'll want one.

Keep up the good work!

- Kevin
__________________
"If it's too loud...well, you know the rest."
kmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #23
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
George,

I'm already a fan of your first shifter, but I agree that the articulating version would be even better. Please let us know when they're available, as I'm quite sure I'll want one.

Keep up the good work!

- Kevin
Hi Kevin, That shifter is a work in progress but will still be a bit. I will keep everyone posted. Other than testing I still use the original version in my own car, still my favorite.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #24
D666MAN
D666MAN
 
D666MAN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS Rally Yellow
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jamison,PA
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
I am not familiar with the Dodge shifter so I cannot answer that.
No buttons on shifter. Just tapped left or right to downshift or upshift.
Mercedes built this tranny for Dodge. It comes from the previous-generation Mercedes-Benz E-class.
D666MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:18 PM   #25
decepticon
 
decepticon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: earth
Posts: 89
PM me when you have a price.

also.. are there any videos of this or the first kind you made? i really want to see this thing in action
decepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TAG's 2010 THRSS #2 TAG UR IT Member Car Journals 3129 08-14-2014 09:29 AM
L99 shifter with tap shift CFD Transmission / Driveline 50 07-29-2011 11:32 AM
What's up with tap shifter users fitzi7 V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) 11 01-07-2011 09:21 AM
Do you use your tapshift? ROD1 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 71 09-01-2010 09:52 AM
Hurst Billet/Plus 2 Shifter $319.95, get Skip Shift Eliminator FREE! Apex Motorsports Transmission / Driveline 22 06-15-2010 09:55 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.