Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #43
GTAHVIT
Blessed
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,495
couple things on that list i'm really interested in... the MSD 2 stage... clutch... and the MGW shifter.

I've always been parial to centerforce clutches? any thoughts there.

How easy is it to set up the msd?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #44
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
couple things on that list i'm really interested in... the MSD 2 stage... clutch... and the MGW shifter.

I've always been parial to centerforce clutches? any thoughts there.

How easy is it to set up the msd?
1. The ACT/Stillen dual Disc clutch I had the dealer put in in while they were fixing the output shaft. So I only have a few km on it and not even broken in yet. Pumpkin is now off the road til Fest. But my first impressions are good for the few days that I drove it with the new clutch. I love it, butter smooth.

2. MGW shifter, simply the best in my opinion. It's more money , but you get a lot more. Have yet to miss a 2-3 shift.

3.MSD 2-step is a bit tricky. I have yet to use it. As far as installing and powering it up it's a piece of cake. The problems is the Camaro is a can bus system and there is no way of using the stock clutch switch to release the 2-step on the leave. SOO you have to install a micro switch in the clutch pedal assembly to make it work. I bought a micro switch from NOS, but yet to finish that project. Might have it done by Fest. I plan on taking the drivers seat out while I install the micro switch.


Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #45
GTAHVIT
Blessed
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
1. The ACT/Stillen dual Disc clutch I had the dealer put in in while they were fixing the output shaft. So I only have a few km on it and not even broken in yet. Pumpkin is now off the road til Fest. But my first impressions are good for the few days that I drove it with the new clutch. I love it, butter smooth.

2. MGW shifter, simply the best in my opinion. It's more money , but you get a lot more. Have yet to miss a 2-3 shift.

3.MSD 2-step is a bit tricky. I have yet to use it. As far as installing and powering it up it's a piece of cake. The problems is the Camaro is a can bus system and there is no way of using the stock clutch switch to release the 2-step on the leave. SOO you have to install a micro switch in the clutch pedal assembly to make it work. I bought a micro switch from NOS, but yet to finish that project. Might have it done by Fest. I plan on taking the drivers seat out while I install the micro switch.


Cool, I'm very interested in that 2 step. Please do a DIY so we can see how it's done if possible.
I Need some help with launches. I learned pretty quickly that 550 to the wheels is not that easy to launch...

Not that I've been to a stip yet but I'm getting the itch...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #46
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Cool, I'm very interested in that 2 step. Please do a DIY so we can see how it's done if possible.
I Need some help with launches. I learned pretty quickly that 550 to the wheels is not that easy to launch...

Not that I've been to a stip yet but I'm getting the itch...
DIY on the switch installation is all you would need. The actual electronics is plug and play. It will take some tinkering. The timing when the clutch grabs the motor and the 2-step dis-engages is crucial.

Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #47
GTAHVIT
Blessed
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,495
So the launch rev limit won't disengage until the micro switch is engaged for the first time... then after that the 2nd stage keeps the engine from over reving???

I'm kinda confused on how the second stage works... is that another rev limiter for max RPM?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #48
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
So the launch rev limit won't disengage until the micro switch is engaged for the first time... then after that the 2nd stage keeps the engine from over reving???

I'm kinda confused on how the second stage works... is that another rev limiter for max RPM?

K I'll try to explain the best I can how it works.

2-Step set @ 3000 rpm & power on. You roll into lights @ 1000 rpm or less. Once your in the lights firewall the throttle pedal 2- Step will hold the motor @ 3000. Light go's green you let the clutch out and the motor instantly goes the rpm that coresspones with the throttle pedal position at the time the 2-Step comes off. That's why the timing is so crucial and micro switch has to have some adjustment.

Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #49
GTAHVIT
Blessed
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,495
ahhh. so the micro switch is just to get rid of the launch RPM limit. after the launch and as long as the RPM's don't drop to below 1K (which it shouldn't on the drag strip) the rev limiter in the ECM will work as normal..
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #50
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
ahhh. so the micro switch is just to get rid of the launch RPM limit. after the launch and as long as the RPM's don't drop to below 1K (which it shouldn't on the drag strip) the rev limiter in the ECM will work as normal..
Yes Sir. You got it. The fail safe in the MSD 2 step the rpm has to drop 2/3 below the set rpm. The rpm is adjustable in 100 rpm increments.

Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:48 PM   #51
Outlaw77

 
Outlaw77's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS I.O.M. Camaro 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary AB, Canada
Posts: 1,595
wow! I'm glad I read this thread. You sir have done basicly everything I want to do to my camaro! I love what you have done and how you've tracked everything. I'm looking forward to the next get together to meet you and the other locals so I could pick your brains to help me mod mine the right way.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #52
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw77 View Post
wow! I'm glad I read this thread. You sir have done basicly everything I want to do to my camaro! I love what you have done and how you've tracked everything. I'm looking forward to the next get together to meet you and the other locals so I could pick your brains to help me mod mine the right way.
No Prob!
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #53
speedster
SST...
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: East Coast of Florida
Posts: 5,935
Merc -

You'll have to get some video of the 2-step in action. Show the members how you light up a manual trans at launch !!
__________________
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #54
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Merc -

You'll have to get some video of the 2-step in action. Show the members how you light up a manual trans at launch !!

To be honest I have not got the 2 step operational yet. All my time slips were without it. Should have operational by Fest. I do have a private Utube video of the 12.35 pass. I'll see if I can send you the link. I might make it public one day.

Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #55
the rich dude

 
Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
To be honest I have not got the 2 step operational yet. All my time slips were without it. Should have operational by Fest. I do have a private Utube video of the 12.35 pass. I'll see if I can send you the link. I might make it public one day.

Send me a link as well please
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #56
Merc
In The Circle
 
Merc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abbotsford BC Canada
Posts: 10,619
Suspension Day #1

With help from my buddy Bill we got Pumpkin into a million pieces. Got the bushings to press out of the rear upper control and change springs on the rear coilovers. Then were ready to put Pumpkin back together.
Attached Images
              
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can ring and pinion be installed w/ pumpkin in car? GMRULZ V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) 2 01-19-2011 07:33 PM
Pumpkin Fixed Merc Canada 12 10-24-2010 08:38 PM
Nekoosa Pumpkin Fest blackgoldhtr USA - Great Lakes 1 10-14-2010 08:18 PM
Pumpkin Gets Signed Merc Canada 9 09-03-2010 11:12 PM
Pumpkin is moving to the city Noah 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 0 11-27-2009 01:12 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.