Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-30-2010, 09:05 AM   #15
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2dbaker View Post
I just got my new Camaro last Tuesday evening and I plan to wax it this weekend. I have never owned a car with decal stripes. Are there any recommendations for the car's first coat of wax? Do I have to do something different with the decal stripes? Any waxy favorites? Want to wax poetic?

Inquiring minds want to know.
You can wax the stripes but do NOT use any Carnuba based wax on vinyl stripes regardless if they are matte or glossy. Carnuba will eventually ruin vinyl if you keep using it. For example, Meguair's NXT 2.0 is Carnuba based and should never be used on vinyl.

The three most known products that are safe for vinyl are;
- Turtle Wax Ice
- Adam's Clear Polish
- Zaino's Z-2

There are more products that are safe but those are the most used and known.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #16
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I've had my Camaro 15 months now and have never waxed my factory IO rallys. I keep any cleaner or wax away from them and they still look like new. One suggestion though is to watch out for bird crap on the stripes. I have one spot where I didn't remove the poop for a couple of days and it actually made a very small melted spot.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #17
Parkmad

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Black/Orange Stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I've had my Camaro 15 months now and have never waxed my factory IO rallys. I keep any cleaner or wax away from them and they still look like new. One suggestion though is to watch out for bird crap on the stripes. I have one spot where I didn't remove the poop for a couple of days and it actually made a very small melted spot.
I have the same and it didn't take a couple days. A bird crapped on my stripe during a hot day this summer. By the time I got it home, it had etched the stripe. I have used clear and revive polish on it but it's still there.
Parkmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #18
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkmad View Post
I have the same and it didn't take a couple days. A bird crapped on my stripe during a hot day this summer. By the time I got it home, it had etched the stripe. I have used clear and revive polish on it but it's still there.
Yea bird dung and vinyl are a bad combo. Unfortunately there is no way to polish vinyl.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #19
Uncle Harvey

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
That bird crap will mess up your paint to. Get if off as soon as you see it. I had a bird attack my car and within an hour it had etched the paint. It took a lot of work to polish that out.

Last edited by Uncle Harvey; 12-01-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Uncle Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #20
zero

Drives: Black 2SS/RS LS3
I waxed my Cyber Grey Metallic stripes with adams and pc no problem.
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #21
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
I waxed my Cyber Grey Metallic stripes with adams and pc no problem.
I have CGM stripes as well and I wax them often.

Tags
decals, stripes, wax