Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Tower Decals
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
delius
David Hayter
 
delius's Avatar
 
Drives: F-body
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greensboro
Posts: 195
Alright...got a whipple in my sights

Im lookin at this one

No more roots for me

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1230

I've always known the benefits of twin screw over roots...but the price difference always bounced me back to roots. BUT I AINT PLAYIN NO MO
__________________


I want my camaro....NOOOOOOOOOOW!!! /turn yellow
delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 22,965
Definitely looks promising
__________________
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
gunslinger
 
Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 254
Aren't roots S/C's twin screw?

I thought the Whipple chargers were just a brand of roots type superchargers...

From what I understand there are three type of FI, turbo, centrifugal and roots style...
__________________
GTR: Get Transmission Replaced
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Nexus6
More human than human
 
Nexus6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The mouth of hell
Posts: 1,901
Its also a non-emssions whipple charger
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Ad Wizard
Risking Life and Limb
 
Ad Wizard's Avatar
 
Drives: K5 Blazer
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Aren't roots S/C's twin screw?

I thought the Whipple chargers were just a brand of roots type superchargers...

From what I understand there are three type of FI, turbo, centrifugal and roots style...
There are two types of "roots" superchargers: lobe-type and twin screw. Magnacharger and Eaton use the older, less efficient lobe type, where as Whipple and KB use a twin screw design. Twin screws do not heat up the air as much, allowing for more boost, and thus, more power.
Ad Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 14,307
Add the cost of a new hood for that big daddy.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
gunslinger
 
Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Wizard View Post
There are two types of "roots" superchargers: lobe-type and twin screw. Magnacharger and Eaton use the older, less efficient lobe type, where as Whipple and KB use a twin screw design. Twin screws do not heat up the air as much, allowing for more boost, and thus, more power.
But isn't the heating of the incoming air charge a function of how compressed that air is, meaning that no matter the lobe design going from "0" PSI to 5 PSI will increase the air temperature the same?

(Thinking out loud->)Unless a more gradual rate of compression is used that might allow some of the heat to dissipate or maybe the friction from the lobes is what makes the twin screw have a lower temperature air charge...
__________________
GTR: Get Transmission Replaced
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
Robert91RS

 
Robert91RS's Avatar
 
Drives: Everywhere
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Wizard View Post
There are two types of "roots" superchargers: lobe-type and twin screw. Magnacharger and Eaton use the older, less efficient lobe type, where as Whipple and KB use a twin screw design. Twin screws do not heat up the air as much, allowing for more boost, and thus, more power.
Huh? Eaton gen VI? Magnacharger 2300?

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...romcatalog.pdf

I should add, the above link is just to clarify the differences. It doesn't go into great detail or give the pro's to using a roots because frankly kenne bell wants to sell you a twin screw for your daily driver, not a roots for your pro mod.

Last edited by Robert91RS; 02-02-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:05 AM   #9
headpunter
Not That sad..considering
 
headpunter's Avatar
 
Drives: Man
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: the part of washington the capital forgot about.
Posts: 3,784
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Huh? Eaton gen VI? Magnacharger 2300?

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...romcatalog.pdf

I should add, the above link is just to clarify the differences. It doesn't go into great detail or give the pro's to using a roots because frankly kenne bell wants to sell you a twin screw for your daily driver, not a roots for your pro mod.
roots are less efficient, but since most people cant tell the difference from the outside, people throw all top mount s/c's out.

considering Chevy, Cadillac, SMS, Audi, and mercedes all use Eaton superchargers, it makes it pretty clear who the oems prefer since they are concerned with longevity of parts and quality
__________________
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 21,983
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
from an engineering standpoint, screw type pumps (a supercharger is an air pump) are more efficient and quieter than regular gear (lobe) types. They are also more expensive.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
roots are less efficient, but since most people cant tell the difference from the outside, people throw all top mount s/c's out.

considering Chevy, Cadillac, SMS, Audi, and mercedes all use Eaton superchargers, it makes it pretty clear who the oems prefer since they are concerned with longevity of parts and quality
That's what I'm screamin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
from an engineering standpoint, screw type pumps (a supercharger is an air pump) are more efficient and quieter than regular gear (lobe) types. They are also more expensive.
Touche teacher. It seems like the new TVS rotors are ?hybriding? toward a screw design. That illustration from the OP from KB's website made the differences a lot clearer though. Still, I wonder how much of a difference there is between the current screws and newer TVS-style. Who's going to do a shootout ?...
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
2010_5thgen


 
2010_5thgen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Acadia Denali
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,274
will that think fit under the hood?
__________________

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
Robert91RS

 
Robert91RS's Avatar
 
Drives: Everywhere
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
will that think fit under the hood?
Haha, not a chance. Oh well, it's a good excuse for a bigger cowl.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #14
SAE05
inconspicuous observer
 
SAE05's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 GTO
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dayton
Posts: 160
it's all about squeez

_________
Attached Images
 
__________________

_________________________________
Dodges . . . we don't need no stinking Dodges `O~O>
SAE05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #15
headpunter
Not That sad..considering
 
headpunter's Avatar
 
Drives: Man
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: the part of washington the capital forgot about.
Posts: 3,784
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
That's what I'm screamin'.



Touche teacher. It seems like the new TVS rotors are ?hybriding? toward a screw design. That illustration from the OP from KB's website made the differences a lot clearer though. Still, I wonder how much of a difference there is between the current screws and newer TVS-style. Who's going to do a shootout ?...
actually, the tvs is the ultimate in screw type charger
__________________
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #16
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 2,680
tvs = ??
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #17
headpunter
Not That sad..considering
 
headpunter's Avatar
 
Drives: Man
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: the part of washington the capital forgot about.
Posts: 3,784
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
the newest series of Eaton/Magnacharger superchargers, that currently sits in the zr1, the CTS-V the new audi S4, they are also used as the internals on the SMS supercars (steve mark saleen supercars) exclusive supercharger, also the new Edelbrock Eforce superchargers

for ls3 size motors there are two sizes. the TVS 1900 (1.9L displacement) (same rotors and guts as the as the CTS-V's supercharger) and the TVS 2300 (2.3l displacement) (same rotors and guts that are used in the special supercharger they use in the ZR-1)
__________________

Last edited by headpunter; 02-03-2009 at 10:33 PM.
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:42 AM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
the newest series of Eaton/Magnacharger superchargers, that currently sits in the zr1, the CTS-V the new audi S4, they are also used as the internals on the SMS supercars (steve mark saleen supercars) exclusive supercharger, also the new Edelbrock Eforce superchargers

for ls3 size motors there are two sizes. the TVS 1900 (1.9L displacement) (same rotors and guts as the as the CTS-V's supercharger) and the TVS 2300 (2.3l displacement) (same rotors and guts that are used in the special supercharger they use in the ZR-1)
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #19
peteypab2133
 
Drives: Mitsu EVO / 3 series
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 94
where can one get one of the new eaton SC's for a decent deal to slap on there?
peteypab2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #20
Robert91RS

 
Robert91RS's Avatar
 
Drives: Everywhere
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypab2133 View Post
where can one get one of the new eaton SC's for a decent deal to slap on there?
There is technicly not a kit available yet, but soon after the Camaro's release start looking for the magnacharger tvs 2300 and you will get what you seek.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #21
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 2,680
I found this, pretty cool illustration of the system:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...VSr_198555.htm
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:34 AM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
There is technicly not a kit available yet, but soon after the Camaro's release start looking for the magnacharger tvs 2300 and you will get what you seek.
I just read an older blurb from a G8 website about Maggy' releasing a 2300 kit but that it should require powertrain enhancements to cope with all the power. It seems that the G8 kit might fit Camaro too, but we'll find out soon
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alright who's the wise guy.. Boomer Sooner Off-topic Discussions 8 01-05-2009 08:32 AM
Is it alright for Asians???? minibus135 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 45 08-02-2008 03:42 PM
Alright, totally off topic, but I have to ask..... Silverado Off-topic Discussions 6 08-15-2007 12:23 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.