Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #26
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Couple of issues here:

Sand is primarily to equalize weight distribution. This is why it's so popular with the pickup truck crowd--especially in light pickups with long beds, there truly isn't enough weight for decent traction in the rear, especially with an open differential.

The Camaro has a very good weight distribution, and I would *not* advise adding weight. Not to mention, it probably makes a mess out of your trunk if any of the bags, tubes, or whatever leak sand.

I would also not advise to drive in snow with traction control ON. Turn it OFF. Contrary to popular belief, traction control does not give you traction, it only cuts power. This is detrimental, say, when you are trying to go up a hill and your only chance of making it is if you keep even pressure on the gas pedal and allow the wheels to spin a bit.

What the Camaro needs in snow is a good set of tires; studded, or winter/all season. Most of all, it needs a confident driver.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I'd recommend no more than 1 bag of tube sand, keep it in case you ever get stuck. Otherwise, don't bother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
My car is usually 57/43, f/r weight distribution. Too little weight in the back makes oversteer harder to control, like a Mustang or truck. If there is weight in the back and you slowly, but surely, go around a corner you have much more control. Like a pickup truck with an empty bed versus with weight in it. Also the weight in the back makes it more stable when going a steady speed in one direction, versus wildly fishtailing if you steer one direction slightly ?
Typically, a pickup is designed to handle best with a partial load in its bed. This is because the trucks are meant to be used as trucks.

In general, adding weight to the back does two, counteracting things with regard to handling. First, its adds rear grip which counters oversteer. Secondly it changes the centre of gravity which, if pushed too far back, will cause the car to be inherently unstable in the corner. It will want to swing out, particularly if there is a single lump of mass in the back (ie, an engine or a lot of sand).

That said, practically every single car on the road today will understeer when pushed, and that includes driving in the snow. In fact for a new car, you usually you have to actively try and induce oversteer by doing things like turning off traction control. If you are encountering oversteer in the winter, drive slower and wait until the wheel is straight before hitting the gas. And get some snow tires.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #28
Cyber/Orange10

Drives: 2010 2SS 96 CE LT4, 90 Beretta Indy
Send a message via AIM to Cyber/Orange10
20" Scorpions, scraper and.............awesome,.......never any trouble. Better than my '93 Z/28 with snows!!! DRIVE IT DON'T HIDE IT !
Cyber/Orange10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:44 AM   #29
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Would I drive MY Camaro in snow? Nope. That's what I have a DD for.

Is the Camaro a capable vehicle in the snow? Most definately when equipped with proper tires.

If you are driving in the snow with the stock RS P-Zeroes, you are asking for an accident or a 'Aww man I wrecked my Camaro" thread. It was proven time and again in last winter's threads.

You are spending good money on a vehicle. Spend the extra money on some actual winter tires and save yourself the headaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:20 AM   #30
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
One says over steer (ass end coming around), another says lifted front end will lose traction in front, causing under steer (pushing straight ahead). Which is it?

Driving slower will solve all traction problems.

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #31
jpizzle007

Drives: '10 LS3, '11 328i, '78 El Camino
Tube Steak

I was just about to post how much tube steak, but I re-read the thread and noticed it was sand not steak.
Custom stainless steel catch-can, Halltech Yellow Jacket CAI, T-304 MBRP 3" CB, Solo HiFlow Cats, TSW Interlagos Matte Black, Nitto Invos 275/315, SkipShift Eliminator, MGW ShortThrow Shifter, Flux Capacitor - fully tweeked
jpizzle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #32
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
I have driven my RS in the snow. We dont get much, but I have not had any problems whatsoever driving with the RS 20 inch Pirellis.

2013 ZL1, Victory Red, Auto, Sunroof
Microfiber Suede Interior, Premium Mats, Cargo Mat
Illuminated Footwell and Cupholders
Chevy MyLink Touchscreen System
tonyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #33
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
[QUOTE=1 1/2 fingers gap (used to be 2)

3 fingers gap (used to be 2 1/2)[/QUOTE]

I used this measurement in High School.....

M
Mark Myles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #34
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLarry View Post
One says over steer (ass end coming around), another says lifted front end will lose traction in front, causing under steer (pushing straight ahead). Which is it?
Both

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #35
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Myles View Post
I used this measurement in High School.....

M
Well you want me to go out and measure it ? That's the thinking of the designer for the CTS coupe, he used the exact same terminology, he doesn't like "wheel gaps less than 2 1/2 fingers width"(in his very own words he stated this).
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #36
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpizzle007 View Post
I was just about to post how much tube steak, but I re-read the thread and noticed it was sand not steak.

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #37
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
Well it helps tremendously in my car, after I left the car wash and got the tires dried, I put it in first and stomped on it for a second, it just hooked up immediately(30 seconds after leaving car wash nonetheless), where I normally get wheel spin. Winter storms on monday, so might as well leave them be(had them out for a while). I can feel the weight when braking though, but the rear seldom kicks out now, feels more stable when cornering...
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote