Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
v6 shivering in neutral

I noticed lately and at this time I am thinking it has something to do with the heater being on or the a/c compressor when I have the front defroster on. When I take it out of gear the rpm's come down to about 1,000, then after a few seconds still out of gear, the rpm's drop real low and pop back up, almost like its about to stall and then it catches itself. Like say im cruising 35 in 3rd or 4th gear and am going down a long hill and take it out of gear and freewheel, the rpms come down to where they should and then they drop too low, then it shudders. Happens sometimes when I get to a red light too. I turned the heater off and tried to duplicate it a couple times last night, and it didn't do it. I'm not sure yet, will take it out and try today. Oh, and i sit in my car at lunch sometimes and leave it running, and it acts perfectly normal, with heat on.
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
heRS

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
When you turn your heater on is the little "snowflake" (on the right side heater knob in the "west" position) lit up? If so, your air conditioner is on and that's what's causing your engine to lug down like that. Press it once so the snowflake light goes off and you should be fine.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
metthem

Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
When you turn your heater on is the little "snowflake" (on the right side heater knob in the "west" position) lit up? If so, your air conditioner is on and that's what's causing your engine to lug down like that. Press it once so the snowflake light goes off and you should be fine.
The snowflake isn't lit up, but it is my understanding that in most american cars, when you activate the front windshield defroster that the a/c unit comes on automatically to act as a dehumidifier. In my older corolla you had to manually activate the a/c unit with the defroster to get the moisture off the windshield. But, besides that, even with the a/c on, I dont think it should shutter and sound and feel like its gonna stall. I had a passenger the other day and got the comment, "why does it do that?" I really hated it.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
There's a couple of things at play here.

In neutral, at a stop light, you should be able to feel/hear the a/c compressor engage and disengage if you are using any HVAC setting where A/C is engaged. This will cause a slight fluctuation in RPM as the car's electronic throttle module compensates for the extra power needed. You may be able to feel it engage/disengage while driving, but that really depends on the car. I've never driven a manual V6. In some cars it's barely noticeable, and other cars, like in a Ford Focus, it feels like someone hitched up a trailer to the rear and you've lost 20hp.

If you're driving, and you clutch-in and let the RPM's fall, the RPM's should come back down to roughly idle speed. I too have observed in other vehicles, that the engine feels like it wants to die at the bottom of the RPM range. My only guess is that, in neutral, and 100% off the gas, while the vehile is at speed, the throttle cuts out. As the RPM's fall back to idle, the ECM wakes up and realizes the car is not in gear, and power has been cut, so it kicks on a little bit of power to keep the car idling. It's all momentary, so there's just a slight timeframe when the engine speed drops below idle, and then comes back up.

That's my best guess. I've had it happen in tons of other cars as well, so I don't think it's a problem, just how they're designed.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
heRS

just for kicks what octane gas are you running in it?

Old 01-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
metthem

Quote:
just for kicks what octane gas are you running in it?
Wow thats a funny question, as per some of the octane threads. This is gonna trash the whole purpose of this thread, but here ya go, I have been using 87, then got down close to 1/8 tank of gas so on a whim, I stopped and put $15 worth of 93. Now the tank is close to empty again, I think I'm going to do a blend next time
Old 01-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
spyderbuddy

Drives: v6 rs inferno orange/inferno orange
Your in Cincinnati no wonder your V6 is shivering it's cold.
Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, MBRP Exhaust tips, CNC Trottle Body,Trifecta Tune, Vararam Intake/Green Filter, Chevorlet door Sills, Trunk Black out, Side Grills and RX Catch Can/Breather Kit.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
heRS

I know, I'm a girl, I ask funny questions and I'm not a mechanic. I hear the sensors will adjust themselves to the higher octane, and there is debate as to whether higher octane helps or not. My point is, did your car run better for you with the higher octane? If not, then indeed it was a silly question. If it does run better, then hmmm meybe the girl was on to something.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
Moorepheus

Drives: 2013 Dodge Charge R/T Plus AWD
put a blanket on her, she is cold......don't you shiver in the cold when you are just standing there? J/K bro...lol
Moorepheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
OP, just a safety thing, keep it in gear going downhill or coming to a stop. I have an M6 V6 and have not experienced this, but I don't knock it out of gear and coast in neutral.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
metthem

I only did the freewheeling for an experiment. It also happens if I sit at a long redlight; long enough for the car to idle down completely, then it will drop to almost zero rpm's; just about to stall, then revs up to like 1200 rpms, then idles down to where it should be. It doesn't happen all the time tho.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
metthem

Quote:
I know, I'm a girl, I ask funny questions and I'm not a mechanic. I hear the sensors will adjust themselves to the higher octane, and there is debate as to whether higher octane helps or not. My point is, did your car run better for you with the higher octane? If not, then indeed it was a silly question. If it does run better, then hmmm meybe the girl was on to something.
I didn't really notice it till I put the higher octane in her, so I would say she ran bettter on 87 .
Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Shouldnt be doing that...its been 4 degrees here and if i pop it into neutral while moving it will stay at 1000 and drop to idle once stopped. it never starts to bog at all, id get that checked out.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
yeah it should not be doing that, I would take it to a good dealer if you can find one
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
could be the idle air control vavle, idk but seriously that shouldnt happen at all. that happened on my old car but that car had 180,000 miles and i ran nitrous through it. i ended up fixing it too. keyword FIXING as in problem! lol

do you have any mods? an intake could definitely cause that problem, might have a leak.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #16
heRS

Did you push the shiny blue onstar button and ask for a diagnostics check? Might give that a try and see if it's something they can pinpoint.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #17
BlkThndr66
I'm not car-ist

Drives: '10 RY 2LT Camaro '96 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
yeah it should not be doing that, I would take it to a good dealer if you can find one

Quote:
Did you push the shiny blue onstar button and ask for a diagnostics check? Might give that a try and see if it's something they can pinpoint.
Couldn't hurt....
Team LLT-M6
BlkThndr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #18
metthem

The only mods I have are axle back flowmasters, I had them for 3500 miles without any issues.
I did not push the blue button, I refuse to push the blue button. Even when I get mail that tells me to push the blue button, I won't. I havent registered with the blue button. I do not like the whole big brother thing. Ok, so much for the blue button.

Coming home last night it almsot died at a red light; studdered at about 250 rpms, headlights dimmed, then shot up to 1200 rpms and idled down. That's it, I called the dealer today, they said to bring it up Monday morning and I can take a technition out for a ride with me and we will go from there.

There isnt a check engine light coming on. If there is a code, that should come on right?

I'll keep ya posted
Old 01-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #19
metthem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post

If you're driving, and you clutch-in and let the RPM's fall, the RPM's should come back down to roughly idle speed. I too have observed in other vehicles, that the engine feels like it wants to die at the bottom of the RPM range. My only guess is that, in neutral, and 100% off the gas, while the vehile is at speed, the throttle cuts out. As the RPM's fall back to idle, the ECM wakes up and realizes the car is not in gear, and power has been cut, so it kicks on a little bit of power to keep the car idling. It's all momentary, so there's just a slight timeframe when the engine speed drops below idle, and then comes back up.

That's my best guess. I've had it happen in tons of other cars as well, so I don't think it's a problem, just how they're designed.

It better not be how they are designed. My corolla didnt do this, my 91 honda dont do this, my 07 civic dont do this. If the mechanic gives me that line, Im gonna go off.

Last edited by metthem; 01-28-2011 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #20
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
It's cold, get it a blanket

EDIT: No, I didn't read any of the other replies before I posted that

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote