Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #267
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator
 
Milk 1027's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
I know it would cost money to develop a new car, I'm just not sure it would be just as expensive using a majority of the existing Camaro to do it. Nobody knows if it will sell because there hasn't been anything to look at, I think that an Auto show would be the best place to show a new car. I think you missed the whole point of my post, so that GM could continue to make money off the existing platform, the changes to the Zeta were done in 2009 and I would hope that GM would get a little more time out of it before they scraped it...

I was under the impression that this new car being shown at Chicago was going to be "exciting". Is a new Chevelle not exciting? A Chevelle has no heritage behind it? I'm not sure what you mean by that, so you are willing to bet that a new Zeta model, that nobody knows would be a better idea than a nameplate some recognize? or are you hoping that this will be the HP Camaro?
The Camaro was expensive to develop. Even though it was based off of the G8. Which was based off the Holden Zeta platform.
It will cost just as much to develop any other car than it did to develop the Camaro.
And no, the Chevelle has no heritage behind it. In fact it only lives on in the Chevy lineup through the Malibu. How much heritage can the Chevelle line hold, if all that survived it was what used to be nothing more than a trim level.
Sorry, but no a Chevelle is not viable. At least not more than a sporty sedan that both families and enthusiasts can enjoy.
__________________
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #268
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator
 
Milk 1027's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by black magic View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster.

As an owner of a G8 GT I am very interested in this debut. I would love to see what Chevy does with the Zeta sedan. Of coarse, if it IS a Camaro that would be great as well, as long is its not just some appearance package. I've seen a few post about what folks think this "Chevelle" should look like. Well, in 2008 Holden made a concept called the Coupe 60. This was based on the Zeta platform and looks amazing. I also stumbled across a Buick rendering of this as well. Both cars look great and the Buick would actually be deserving of the GN title. Take a look.



Now That is more appealing than the "Chevelle"
__________________
Milk 1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #269
black magic
 
black magic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 4
I'm not sure this has been answered, but is this debut going to be a concept or a production car?
__________________
~ Go ahead, buy a Prius... I WANT YOUR GAS! ~
2009 G8 GT
2010 Avalanche LTZ
black magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #270
BlkThndr66
I'm not car-ist
 
BlkThndr66's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 RY 2LT Camaro '96 Mustang Cobra
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by black magic View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster.

As an owner of a G8 GT I am very interested in this debut. I would love to see what Chevy does with the Zeta sedan. Of coarse, if it IS a Camaro that would be great as well, as long is its not just some appearance package. I've seen a few post about what folks think this "Chevelle" should look like. Well, in 2008 Holden made a concept called the Coupe 60. This was based on the Zeta platform and looks amazing. I also stumbled across a Buick rendering of this as well. Both cars look great and the Buick would actually be deserving of the GN title. Take a look.




LOVE the idea of bringing the GNX back!! I never even thought of that; I really hope this comes out. Imagine if somehow GM figured out how to safely and consistantly add boost with a turbo to the 3.6L DI..... maaaan
__________________
35% tint, faded gill stripes, yellow stitching, black spoiler, decklid stripes
To-Do List:
Oracle HALO multicolor headlight + fogs kit; Bumblebee striping kit; Flowmaster 3-chamber cat-back; Roto-Fab Intake.
Team LLT-M6
BlkThndr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #271
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,063
Both of those coupes are full of WIN!

No announcements have been made other than they're CAMARO related.
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.4:1 408 LQ4 (K1 crank & rods; Mahle pistons)/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam/home ported L92 intake manifold/ported 90mm TB/custom Volant CAI/mid-length headers/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/Sphon poly adjustable TA/Sphon adjustable rear LCAs/e'fan conversion/DirtyMax radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners/HID conversion/LED exterior lighting/LED interior accents/Autometer Cobalts/AEM WBPioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4s/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other little stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #272
thePill
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kaiserslauthern, Germany
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
The Camaro was expensive to develop. Even though it was based off of the G8. Which was based off the Holden Zeta platform.
It will cost just as much to develop any other car than it did to develop the Camaro.
And no, the Chevelle has no heritage behind it. In fact it only lives on in the Chevy lineup through the Malibu. How much heritage can the Chevelle line hold, if all that survived it was what used to be nothing more than a trim level.
Sorry, but no a Chevelle is not viable. At least not more than a sporty sedan that both families and enthusiasts can enjoy.
Just wishful thinking on my part...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #273
Stl_chevy_guy
 
Drives: Company Demo
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 17
Send a message via Yahoo to Stl_chevy_guy
Based on the info I received from my not-to-be-named GM rep... I can all but guarantee that the vehicle unveiled will be the new Impala SS.
Stl_chevy_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #274
Lucky SOB

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 756
...testing - it's not allowing me to view page 12...

EDIT: what the............................................... .......................? Posted this on page 11....

Anyways... I heard it's going to be a carb'd 454 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight........................................
__________________
Lucky SOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #275
havocnmayhem2005
 
Drives: 1999 Z28, 2007 Saurn Aura
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: texas
Posts: 50
My vote is a diesel Camaro with the 2.9 V6 turbo diesel that GM had been working on with 255 hp and 406 lb ft of tq..........Oh wait, GM would never do anything reasonable and put a deisel in anything in America. A car that would hall balls and get close to 40mpg if not more on the highway. It'd never happen though.
havocnmayhem2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #276
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,063
Though an Impala SS is not the car I want to hear about, that sounds pretty legit, just based off of what the police can get their hands on now
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.4:1 408 LQ4 (K1 crank & rods; Mahle pistons)/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam/home ported L92 intake manifold/ported 90mm TB/custom Volant CAI/mid-length headers/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/Sphon poly adjustable TA/Sphon adjustable rear LCAs/e'fan conversion/DirtyMax radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners/HID conversion/LED exterior lighting/LED interior accents/Autometer Cobalts/AEM WBPioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4s/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other little stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #277
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 28,631
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocnmayhem2005 View Post
My vote is a diesel Camaro with the 2.9 V6 turbo diesel that GM had been working on with 255 hp and 406 lb ft of tq..........Oh wait, GM would never do anything reasonable and put a deisel in anything in America. A car that would hall balls and get close to 40mpg if not more on the highway. It'd never happen though.
How reasonable is a $5000 premium over a comparable gas engine, and almost impossibly-met diesel emissions standards that literally "suffocate" their usage in the US.

GM's very 'in' the diesel game in Europe...it's not the company, it's the country.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #278
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
How reasonable is a $5000 premium over a comparable gas engine, and almost impossibly-met diesel emissions standards that literally "suffocate" their usage in the US.

GM's very 'in' the diesel game in Europe...it's not the company, it's the country.
Is that the problem - the emissions? I kinda' figured the money, but it seems that diesels are the way to go in Europe, but if emissions are a problem here, that would explain it some. Though I don't have any desire for a diesel CAMARO, if others are, I support it I'd consider a diesel for the family at this point, seeing how far they've come along.
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.4:1 408 LQ4 (K1 crank & rods; Mahle pistons)/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam/home ported L92 intake manifold/ported 90mm TB/custom Volant CAI/mid-length headers/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/Sphon poly adjustable TA/Sphon adjustable rear LCAs/e'fan conversion/DirtyMax radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners/HID conversion/LED exterior lighting/LED interior accents/Autometer Cobalts/AEM WBPioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4s/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other little stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #279
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,795
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28350 View Post
I would rock the one on the left, looks like a Chevrolet S5. That to me is a good thing.
Probably because the guy that photoshoped that used an Audi as his inspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
I know it would cost money to develop a new car, I'm just not sure it would be just as expensive using a majority of the existing Camaro to do it. Nobody knows if it will sell because there hasn't been anything to look at, I think that an Auto show would be the best place to show a new car. I think you missed the whole point of my post, so that GM could continue to make money off the existing platform, the changes to the Zeta were done in 2009 and I would hope that GM would get a little more time out of it before they scraped it...

I was under the impression that this new car being shown at Chicago was going to be "exciting". Is a new Chevelle not exciting? A Chevelle has no heritage behind it? I'm not sure what you mean by that, so you are willing to bet that a new Zeta model, that nobody knows would be a better idea than a nameplate some recognize? or are you hoping that this will be the HP Camaro?
It would be just as expensive to introduce a new car based off the Camaro's platform as it was to do the Camaro in the first place. A lot of the cost isn't in the platform the car rides on (though this is still significant) but rather from 2-3 years of design, engineering, testing, and validation which has to happen on any car.

About the only difference between a possible Chevelle and the Camaro would styling. Performance would be about the same, and so would price. But the majority love the styling of the Camaro, which means that the Chevelle would have to appeal to the minority who don't like the Camaro (and still want to buy a Chevy). If you have something that appeals to those who like the Camaro, you're going to be stealing sales which doesn't get you anywhere. The same arguments were made against a Firebird, long before Pontiac was killed off.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #280
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE...Drove: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 28,631
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Is that the problem - the emissions? I kinda' figured the money, but it seems that diesels are the way to go in Europe, but if emissions are a problem here, that would explain it some. Though I don't have any desire for a diesel CAMARO, if others are, I support it I'd consider a diesel for the family at this point, seeing how far they've come along.
It's both. Lutz once quoted the premium over a gas engine as uneconomical, and then of course there's the emissions standards here that require after-after treatments (which contribute greatly to that cost premium)....it's rediculous. I'd love a deisel Cruze, for example...but it's not gonna happen so long as we have such strict standards here...because diesels are "dirty"...
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Twice Before You Post.
...Anxiously waiting to order a silver "Z"...

Mr. Wyndham is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very exiting news for cat lovers... Auntie Crazy Off-topic Discussions 25 08-17-2010 10:12 PM
I bought it!!! I finally got my camaro!!! Wooohoo! salsteeler 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 56 03-11-2010 01:25 AM
I finally left the 1100 club quickdraw Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 7 05-08-2009 10:55 PM
Detroit's 3 finally on track, tough critic says TAG UR IT General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 1 10-14-2007 01:16 PM
bad personal news ChevyNut Off-topic Discussions 4 02-23-2007 12:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.