Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
MG
 
MG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 622
Anyone switched to Z06 brakes?

I know at least one person has the ZR1 carbon ceramics but I've read that they're computer controlled so it would be too complicated to get them right.

And I know some people are using CTS-V brakes.

How about Z06/GrandSport brakes?
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:33 AM   #2
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,192
The CTSV brakes are better. I have friends with both and the CTSV with its massive weight disadvantage is considerably better at braking than the Z06. I think it has to do with the brake pad area. The CTSV has more. I seem to remember a thread where someone posted the Camaro vs Z06 braking distance and the Z06 was no better, even with a weight advantage.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
Chris_B
 
Chris_B's Avatar
 
Drives: Several
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
I know at least one person has the ZR1 carbon ceramics but I've read that they're computer controlled so it would be too complicated to get them right.

And I know some people are using CTS-V brakes.

How about Z06/GrandSport brakes?
The Z06 brakes would be a downgrade from the SS brakes from a performance and longevity standpoint. They might look a bit better (depending on personal opinion), but that would be the only possible improvement.
__________________
Chris Bernal
Brake Maven
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
pbm457
 
pbm457's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Dodge "Cuda", 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. Pete, Fl.
Posts: 120
the Z06 brakes have padlets instead of two pads that our cars or the CTS-V has. Z06 brakes= a step in the wrong direction.
pbm457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
IROCanSS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 89 IROC 350
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Back roads, southern Ohio
Posts: 12,518
Well there ya go...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
Erik@Torq
 
Erik@Torq's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Miramar, FL
Posts: 1,494
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm457 View Post
the Z06 brakes have padlets instead of two pads that our cars or the CTS-V has. Z06 brakes= a step in the wrong direction.
I agree 100%. I have a Z06 and have tried several compounds with the stock calipers and have had nothing but issues. An easy fix for someone with that caliper is going with a Hawk or Cobalt single pad conversion, thus getting rid of those stupid padlets/hockey puck they call brake pads

The smaller pads can't control the heat the same way as a larger pad, plus the larger pads have a larger surface area which aids in stopping power, temperature and control.

The 6-piston Brembo upgrade caliper or the CTS-V kit would be a better and more affordable direction to go in!

/Erik
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
Chris_B
 
Chris_B's Avatar
 
Drives: Several
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@Torq View Post
I agree 100%. I have a Z06 and have tried several compounds with the stock calipers and have had nothing but issues. An easy fix for someone with that caliper is going with a Hawk or Cobalt single pad conversion, thus getting rid of those stupid padlets/hockey puck they call brake pads

The smaller pads can't control the heat the same way as a larger pad, plus the larger pads have a larger surface area which aids in stopping power, temperature and control.
And let's not forget that swapping in a larger, 1-piece pad still gets energized by three identically-sized pistons. This is far from the ideal of a sequentially-sized piston stagger. Pad taper issues will result where proper 6-piston caliper design eliminates taper. The larger pad will run cooler, but will not stop any better and will taper under hard use.
__________________
Chris Bernal
Brake Maven
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Erik@Torq
 
Erik@Torq's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Miramar, FL
Posts: 1,494
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
And let's not forget that swapping in a larger, 1-piece pad still gets energized by three identically-sized pistons. This is far from the ideal of a sequentially-sized piston stagger. Pad taper issues will result where proper 6-piston caliper design eliminates taper. The larger pad will run cooler, but will not stop any better and will taper under hard use.
You are absolutely right, great info right there.
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
MG
 
MG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 622
Interesting!

Thanks for the help
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ZL1 / CTS-V Brakes JusticePete Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 507 07-31-2014 12:34 PM
brakes losing power assist? 1977and2010 Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 6 02-28-2010 05:31 PM
has anybody changed the v6 brakes to the SS brakes? camarowa Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 19 01-24-2010 08:12 AM
question about brakes Fotowns Finest 4th Generation Camaros 12 11-05-2009 04:09 AM
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Ron Fellows Championship Edition KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 14 04-10-2007 09:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.