Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Old 02-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #26
Bond
Heritage Hanger

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, Black.
Everyone knows the whole "save the best for last" saying.
There's a reason for it.

My prediction is that the Zed WILL return, simply cause it's always been the most coveted of the Camaro lineup. I however think that it won't be as unique as the ZL1, but rather relieve the ZL1's ride components, with a tuned LS3. It was always said after all that the LS3 has potential beyond the 426 horses that the SS currently produces. I think that doing a mash of the two models would be effective, financially, and do the job that would bring the Z28 back to it's right name.

Oh, and they should also built it as a manual tranny only!

Keeping The Spirit Alive!
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #27
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
With the BOSS (3600 lbs., 444 hp, 8.1 lb/hp) arguably called "the Best all-round Mustang ever" by magazine testers, it will take a Camaro of great(er) substance to equal/better its foe. 1SSs curb at 3850 lbs. and a few tricks may get that down by 50-100, after adding heavier upgraded suspension pieces. Which, to = BOSS, requires well over 460 hp. And the only non-boosted engine on the RPO shelf ready-to-go would be the LS7 (converted to wet-sump) which, @ 505 hp and a curb of 3750 (?) = 7.43...very close to the ZL1 but MUCH lighter (especially up-front) and therefore MUCH more nimble...

If the Mustang is BOSS, then meet the CAMARO C.E.O.!!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I think it's incredibly ironic that the Z28 speculation continues with the announcement of the ZL1...only because many (including myself), thought it would end with the revealing of the King of Camaros....

Anyways, it should be very interesting to see how it turns out. Especially given the boss-prostrating that's going on...I won't get nasty - Ford did a good job - suffice it to say that there are no magic bullets, and sometimes it's necessary to read beyond the hype....
Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #29
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Postulating about a Z/28 akin the BOSS is based on the "suggestion" from the Camaro Team...

Just as the BOSS will make a much more enjoyable "track car" than the GT500, I suspect the Camaro folks are aware of the merits of something with 200+ fewer pounds over the front wheels and, perhaps, even "racier" feel/appeal. At least those with some "twisty" experience and intent would be readily aware and willing.

The precedent in-house would be a ZR1 vs. a Z06/Z07 vs. LS3/GS. Arguably, the "track star" Vette is the Z06/Z07, and that is where a Z/28 should be...
Old 02-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #30
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Postulating about a Z/28 akin the BOSS is based on the "suggestion" from the Camaro Team...

Just as the BOSS will make a much more enjoyable "track car" than the GT500, I suspect the Camaro folks are aware of the merits of something with 200+ fewer pounds over the front wheels and, perhaps, even "racier" feel/appeal. At least those with some "twisty" experience and intent would be readily aware and willing.

The precedent in-house would be a ZR1 vs. a Z06/Z07 vs. LS3/GS. Arguably, the "track star" Vette is the Z06/Z07, and that is where a Z/28 should be...
Correct, I'm certainly not disagreeing with you on most of those points. Only one I would contend is that the ZR1 will outrun the Z06 in most scenarios. The benefit is the loose and nimble feeling the Z06 (or any track-designed production car) inherently has.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #31
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
IMVHO makeing the Z/28 nothing more than a "Track Pack" would be a crime and somebody would need to be shot.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #32
Bond
Heritage Hanger

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, Black.
Is it possible that GM are waiting to get their hands on a Boss to delevope a track competitor, as we saw in the spy shots of the ZL-1?

Keeping The Spirit Alive!
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #33
camaro5

Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
The problem I have with this information is that the car is scheduled to be released next April. The new ZL1 starts production Jan. 2012 and gets to dealers in March 2012. I don't think the Z28 will come into showrooms a month later.

I think they are guessing GM will announce it in April 2012, and bring it to production a year later.

If you read the C&D article, they live a lot of wiggle room for variables, but I see a lot of truth to their reporting.

The ZL1 WAS the Z28, GM changed their minds.

The most interesting conjecture is that the Z28 may have the LS7. That's a torquey a meat a ball!

And how about the GEN V tidbits. I found Direct Injection info a year ago, related to future GM inventory. CD is right on the money there.

GEN V debut will probably be limited to C7 at first - I also saw a ramp-up in GEN V volume after late 2012 launch.

But when the GEN V's hit Camaro, it's a whole new ball game.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #34
Good2go
Team Chevrolet

Drives: 2007 Z06 and 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post

And how about the GEN V tidbits. I found Direct Injection info a year ago, related to future GM inventory. CD is right on the money there.

GEN V debut will probably be limited to C7 at first - I also saw a ramp-up in GEN V volume after late 2012 launch.

But when the GEN V's hit Camaro, it's a whole new ball game.

I also wonder if the Z28 will debut on the smaller, lighter Alpha platform, and not the current one.
Good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #35
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
The most interesting conjecture is that the Z28 may have the LS7. And how about the GEN V tidbits. I found Direct Injection info a year ago, related to future GM inventory. CD is right on the money there.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #36
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: '13 WRX STi
Thats awesome!!!

I hope it looks better than ZL1.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #37
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
A high compression, 5.5L, direct injection engine fits in nicely with the Z/28 moniker. I highly doubt that it will be out in March, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it out say....October, 2012.

Cut the MR out of the ZL1, keep the weight down, maybe eliminate the back seat..... Have it come with very few options available (like the original Z06), something like factory coil-over suspension, a good downforce package.......... There has to be a way to get the weight back down to 3500lbs.

Get 450hp/tq out of the 5.5L and get the weight down to 3500-3650lbs and presto, the Z is back.

Their is something to say about a track monster wearing the Z/28 badge. With 450hp and a weight of 3650, the H.P : Weight ratio = 8.1. Sounds familiar doesn't it???
Old 03-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #38
BustedCrank

Drives: Broken
3500lbs for this platform is not going to happen. Doesn't sound like 5.5l is either, expect 5.3 and 6.2l for the new engines.
BustedCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #39
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
Is it possible that GM are waiting to get their hands on a Boss to delevope a track competitor, as we saw in the spy shots of the ZL-1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedCrank View Post
3500lbs for this platform is not going to happen. Doesn't sound like 5.5l is either, expect 5.3 and 6.2l for the new engines.
Little is known about the Gen V smallblocks...we know they'll have direct injection, VVT, and AFM...but we don't know the displacement.

It's also pretty interested that they said in a press release it'll have a "new combustion process"...I'm looking forward to reading more about these things.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #40
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 1967 FI Corvette and CRT ZL1 #336
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post

I also wonder if the Z28 will debut on the smaller, lighter Alpha platform, and not the current one.
I do not believe that the ZL1 will be more than a 2 to 3 year model, depending on when the current Camaro switches to the new Alpha chassis. When it does switch to the new chassis, I think that Z28 will take its place. I personally do not want to wait any more than a year for the ZL1 and definitely NOT 2 to 3 years for the Z28. I also do not see Chevy bringing the Z28 on the current chassis, unfortunately I have never been right on any of my guesses or predictions on what Chevy was going to do.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #41
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I do not believe that the ZL1 will be more than a 2 to 3 year model, depending on when the current Camaro switches to the new Alpha chassis. When it does switch to the new chassis, I think that Z28 will take its place. I personally do not want to wait any more than a year for the ZL1 and definitely NOT 2 to 3 years for the Z28. I also do not see Chevy bringing the Z28 on the current chassis, unfortunately I have never been right on any of my guesses or predictions on what Chevy was going to do.
Why don't you suppose the ZL1 will carry over into the 6thgen as the "Top Dog", too?

(I think there's room for both nameplates, btw...)
Old 03-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #42
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedCrank View Post
I can't see it being that hard to drop 350-400 pounds off this platform. Go back to 18" rims, put in a lighter/smaller displacement engine, lighter suspension components, remove the back seat, etc.....

The Z06's LS7 weighs in @ 458 pounds, the LS3 is 415 pounds. Both of these engines are dated and the 5.5L is already in use in the Corvette GT2 race car. That is a pretty good indication that it will be hitting the streets in the Corvette. I can't see it being over 350 pounds. That is 1/5 the weight the car needs to loose, and a good chunk off the front end.