Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #26
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Modding has started. I was getting sick of looking at the gray bezel on the center air vents. So decided to paint them. Did the driver and passenger ones as well.

*EDIT: A few people have asked me how I did this mod (and considering I wasn't polite enough to post a DIY on it I figured this is the next best thing.*

How to Remove the Bezels
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
the side vents were easy, the end panel on the dash pops out and there's a couple screws holding that vent trim in place. It's very easy to see once you've got it open. I can't remember exactly how many there are but i think it's about 2 or 3.

The center vent however you basically need to take the whole dash out to get at the trim piece. So I made good with the masking tape and VERY carefully brush painted it with the little tube of color matched touch up paint from GM. Turned out just fine. I ripped up garbage bags and covered my whole center console and dash with it plastic in case there were any drips. There weren't but I'd recommend it just to be sure.

Last edited by The Stig; 06-07-2011 at 06:32 PM.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #27
The Stig

So on Thursday I got fieldgoal00's DRL harness in the mail, and I have spent the past 2 ish hours installing it. Except the problem is that the driver's side halos and front side market are always on. Even with the car off. Any help on this would be appreciated, hint hint.

Well either way I undid the wiring for the 4 channel remote (temporary fix to the lights problem) and I will be tackling it again in the morning.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #28
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet

Drives: SS/RS 6spd,Pace Car,ZL1,1LE,C7/Z51
WOW!

You're doing GREAT!!!

I can't wait for more pics...

Becky
734-479-7117 ...
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet.com
Available Camaro Inventory///Body Color XM Antenna
My Summit White SS///My Pace Car
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #29
The Stig

OK so I started today planning on painting my door panels and dash trim. Following one of the DIY I was able to get my door panels off in just under an hour. Here are a couple shots of Kaylee with her panels off.

So after I got all of these panels off I went to unscrew the door inserts. Well it turns out that only 3 screws hold the inserts in place, but about two dozen melted plastic studs.

Needless to say I was pretty PO'd with the situation. But I figured that while I had the door panels off I could do a mod that I had put on the back burner about a year ago. I used some AAC ABL colored LED strips and tied the wiring into the ambient lighting. So while I didn't get to paint, the day wasn't a total loss.

Day 2 of my modding marathon is almost over. Depending on how things play out tomorrow I may be painting my wheels, but Just need to see if I have the time to do it all.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #30
MANAWAR

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Nice looking Camaro......

Philadelphia Phillies Fan
GPC
MANAWAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #31
10spokess
Wild and Cammed

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
so you wont be painting the door pannels now?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #32
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
so you wont be painting the door pannels now?
Not unless I can figure out a way to take them off without breaking them.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #33
The Stig

UPDATE:

So I did some hunting and I found a DIY by BumbleBeeSS2009. Here is the link. Post number 2 - 6 about cover how to deal with the plastic rivets problem that I encountered yesterday. So, I'll be stopping by home depot a little later tonight to pick up some of the screws I need for the swap and tomorrow I will be painting

My finding this goes to show, for whatever mod you want to do odds are someone else has already done it and posted a DIY and/or instructions on how to do so.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #34
The Stig

So drove around a bit tonight to see what the new ABL pockets looked like. Honestly I'm not feeling it. Its a it too bright if you know what I mean.

So I need to figure out what I'm going to do now. I'm picking up the screws needed for the door panels tomorrow morning and will be painting them. So I guess I'll figure it out then.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #35
The Stig

Some pics of Kaylee's front end disassembled.

Some of the headlights taken apart.

Needed to take a food break so I'll be finishing up the wiring later today/tomorrow.

Wiring Instructions: Dual Halos on a Single Switch

Wiring Instructions for AAC Halos (Single Color)

Things you Need:
  • (1) wire cutters/strippers
  • (1) wire coat hanger or straight wire rod
  • (1) LED rocker switch (or any switch, your preference)
  • (2) short lengths of black wire #2 and #3
  • (1) length of black wire, #1
  • (1) length of red wire
  • (2) yellow wire caps
  • (X) assorted t-taps/splice connectors

Installation Instructions:

1) First, congratulations on installing your halos. It is not an easy task.

2) We are going to start with the red (+) wires coming from each halo. You should have (2) red wires in your hand now, one from each fog light. Check the ends of these wires, if no copper is showing then you need to strip them. This can be done with a wire stripper, or any sharp knife. Once you can see the copper wire move onto the next step.

3) Now pick up the length of red wire from your kit and a yellow wire cap. You want to use the yellow wire cap that has a (+) drawn on it. Take hold of both red (+) wires from your halos (make sure that you have stripped them) and the red wire from the kit. Now twist them all into the yellow wire cap. Make sure it is nice and snug.

4) Take the length of red wire from the kit, now attached to the yellow wire cap, and run it to the positive post on the fuse box. This is the metal post near the front of the fuse box.

5) Put the ring terminal, marked with a (+) near this post. You will bolt it to the post at the end. You don’t want to fry yourself installing this wiring.

6) Take the two black (-) wires, one from each halo, and the black wire marked #1 in your hand.

7) Strip the two black wires coming from your halos if they have not been already.

8) Take the ends of the two black halo wires and the end of wire #1 and twist them into the (-) yellow wire cap. Make sure it is nice and snug.

9) You will need a stiff piece of metal for this next part. A wire coat hanger is best.

10) If you are using a wire coat hanger, please do the following steps.

a. Straighten the wire coat hanger.
b. Use wire cutters/hedge trimmers to cut roughly a one foot piece of straight coat hanger, we will call this piece “wire rod”
c. Using needle nose pliers make a small bend creating a small loop one end of the wire rod.
d. Continue to step 11

11) Looking in the engine bay, find a rubber gasket on the firewall that has wires going through it. These are very easy to locate, just trace some wires back to the firewall and that is it.

12) Using the black wire from step 8, put the spade terminal end (end with the blue plastic part on it) into the loop on the wire rod.

13) Using the other (non loop end) of the wire rod, push it through rubber gasket you found in step 11. It will take a bit of force but that is OK. You are not breaking anything, so don’t worry.

14) Once you have it about half way through the rubber gasket go inside the cabin of the car. Looking underneath the steering wheel, locate the part of the wire rod that is sticking through.

15) Pull the wire rod and wire number 1 through the firewall.

16) Remove the driver’s-side side panel for the center console. It is held in with clips, so just pull it will pop right off.

17) Looking at where the center console meets the dash you should see a bolt with a marker mark on it. That is your ground.

18) Unscrew the nut (13mm) and mount the ring terminals of wires #2 and #3 ring to this bolt. Rescrew the nut onto the bolt.

19) Now we will be mounting the switch. So first step, pick where you want to mount the switch. May I suggest the side of the center console (the side wall plastic panel.)

20) Using a 11/16 inch drill bit drill a hole in where you want to mount the switch.

21) Collect all 3 black wires. You should have a hold of (3) blue female connector terminals. These are labeled #1, #2, #3.

22) Looking at the switch, you will see that the spades are numbered #1, #2, #3.

23) Wire #1 goes to spade #1, wire #2 goes to spade #2, and wire #3 goes to spade #3.

24) Once all of the wires are connected push the switch into the hole. Be sure that you have it nice and straight.

25) Going back to the engine bay. Bolt the red (+) wires ring terminal to the positive post in front of the fuse box.

26) Your wiring circuit should now be complete. Go into the cabin and flip the switch. The LED on the switch should turn on, as well as your halos.

Last edited by The Stig; 08-11-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #36
The Stig

I drove up to Erie today to visit the body shop at Dave Hallman's Chevrolet and man am I impressed. They were super nice and friendly. I showed them the paint chip spoiler TSB and they were more than happy to repaint my trunk lid. They actually have already redone a few camaros so they knew the drill.

I completely forgot to ask them if they could install my street scene spoiler. (Had to take it off to show them the chipping and just put the stock back on to make things easier). Hopefully they will be able to do all that for me. I might also get a price quote for them to paint the door and dash trim gloss black. Save myself the hassel of a DIY.

Not going to lie, I have been pretty mod crazy this week. The worst part is that I wouldnt want it any other way.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #37
The Stig

Also, I want to touch on safety and the use of proper protective equipment when handling power tools. When I was installing the OEM halo ring over my LED halos I had to cut the bottom portion of the OEM halo so that it would fit in front of the LED halo. I attempted to cut the plastic halo ring with a sawzaw. BAD IDEA.

I ended up cutting my thumb pretty bad from the splintering/melting plastic. Took a safer route and used bolt cutters. Much better idea, worked like a charm and no further injuries.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #38
The Stig

Just got off of the phone with Jonathan at Advanced Automotive Customs and the paperwork for my partial sponsorship is all done. So I am officially sponsored by AAC, partially at least.

I figured it was good enough news to put into the journal. That and I have a few more pictures to boot. I haven't yet gotten around to wiring the dual halos up again. I have fieldgoal's wireless DRL harness, but it's currently not really working. So I'm on the fence with the following

1) wire the halos up to the remote box and turn them on that way

2) leave them plugged into the parking lights and they are only on when the car turns them on

3) Then my third option, is I can rig up a switch that runs power from the fuse box and then just change the colors of the halos via the remote box. This way I would still be able to leave them tied into the parking lights.

Last edited by The Stig; 06-07-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #39
The Stig

I pulled Kaylee into one of the empty bays at the fire station to do some wiring. I recently bought fieldgoal's wireless DRL harness, but had been having problems with it. Jeff (Fieldgoal) suggested that I take it out and send it to him so he could look at it. Well what do you know, I'm getting to taking it all apart and bam! I find out the the ground for the harness isn't screwed in all the way. Needless to say I fixed that problem and shazam! Wireless DRLs.

With that set up I'm thinking about redoing my wiring set ups. I could just run my RGB scanner ground to the remote box and control it that way. Instead of having a switch for it on the center console. Then I could also wire all of the halos into the remote as well, not sure if I like that idea yet. But we will see.

I'm just happy I figured out why the harness wasn't working. Damn thing was expensive.

On another note: Lets talk modding.

I have been exchanging emails with Jason from Grabiak Performance Center and I've got a long list of mods that I'm looking to get done.

- powder coat wheels black chrome or gloss black. I'm going with powder coating because A) it doesnt cost too much and B) its more durable.

- repainting trunk lid (spoiler chipping) and reinstalling my street scene spoiler.

- powder coating my calipers cobalt blue. Again more durable than paint.

- possibly ACS T3 bumper ports

- SURPRISE. I need to talk to Jason to see if this is possible, but I really really hope it is. Lets just say I'll be the 2nd camaro with this mod
Old 03-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #40
The Stig

Really excited, so I just had to post this even though I haven't technically done it yet. I figured out how to have my halos work as DRLs and my DRLs be off.

I am tapping the sets of halos (headlights and fogs) power supply into the DRL positive lead. This is essentially doing the same thing that AAC's DRL harness does. Having the halos and the DRLs on at the same time. But, this is where I have to give myself some credit. By using fieldgoal's harness I can disrupt the ground in the DRL circuit. Thus turning them off. But the halos are still receiving power from the DRL's positive.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #41
The Stig

No updates today, as of yet. I will be doing the wiring for her halos later this evening/afternoon. Have to do some "real" work first. But I wanted to do this before anything else, mostly because it has been bugging me FOREVER, and here we go...

So I requested to have my build thread combined with Kaylee's journal from this past summer. Thank you to Milk for helping me with that This doesn't really add anything new to my build thread, but it gives you the back story to Kaylee and my time with Eleanor. Hope you enjoy
Old 04-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #42
The Stig

Yesterday I installed a separate clutch fluid reservoir, on the recomendation of 2SSRS. But, I ended up using the instructions from flht99b. Here is is post on how to do it

Then I also did the glove box light install. Via these instructions Ended up not being able to get it to light up. It worked fine on the work bench though. I will have to do some more digging to find the right wire to plug into, I think that may have been the problem. Needless to say that I got pretty frustrated with being all contorted underneath the glove box and with having a flashlight in my face, etc etc. So I had to cut it short and will be picking up on it later tomorrow/Wednesday.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #43
MANAWAR

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
So how's the Camaro coming along? I know it look super. Can't wait to see it.

Philadelphia Phillies Fan
GPC
MANAWAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #44
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man'o'war View Post
So how's the Camaro coming along? I know it look super. Can't wait to see it.
She's coming along great. Got a few plans for the weekend (need to finish up some wiring and hook a couple more things into my new wireless remote). But mostly I am waiting around twiddling my thumbs until I can take her down to Grabiak Performance. She's getting a LOT of cosmetic surgery.

- calipers are getting painted blue
- wheels getting powdercoated gloss black
- repainting the trunk lid per the spoiler paint chipping TSB
- reinstalling the street scene spoiler

Then possibly an XM antenna delete/relocation. Have to figure that out with Jason and the body shop.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #45
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Congrats on the AAC Sponsorship!!!!!!!

Totally geeked for ya man. Keep up the good work for The People.

Thanks,
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #46
The Stig

Finished up wiring the halos this afternoon. Wired them into a 5 pin relay so that they are white normally and blue when I want them to be.

I also took some pics of my afterburners. About a week ago I put on blackout tint from www.thecamarodecalstore.com
Old 04-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #47
The Stig

I have some presents in the mail

A carbon fiber wrapped Showstoppers front splitter that I bought from linkwpc (aka the punching cat). Great to deal with, orginally he didn't want to ship it but I kept harrassing him about the splitter and eventually he gave in

I also ordered some carbon fiber side gill accents from RPI designs late last week. So those are in the mail too. The splitter is due on the 14th, and hopefully I will have the gill accents by then as well. Can you say photo shoot time? I think it is.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #48
The Stig

RPI Cabon Fiber Side Vent decals

So my carbon fiber side vent decals came (no they are not real carbon fiber, just hydro dipped carbon fiber. I spent the extra cash and got the ABS plastic ones over the vinyl. Not particularly happy with the ABS plastic. NOTE: I am not referring to the quality of the product, it is top notch quality. Just that the plastic does not want to conform to the shape of the side vents so parts of them are not actually sticking on. I am planning on emailing RPI in a few moments to talk to them about this issue. I'm driving to Pittsburgh tonight for a dinner at the Pittsburgh Brewery and I don't want them to fly off while I am driving. That'd be bad.

The box for my splitter, and on the table the box for the decals
Name:  IMG_0697.jpg
Views: 2486
Size:  67.6 KB

The decals
Name:  IMG_0699.jpg
Views: 2492
Size:  237.0 KB

Before picture
Name:  IMG_0698.jpg
Views: 2476
Size:  199.0 KB

after picture (driver's side)
Name:  IMG_0701.jpg
Views: 2516
Size:  239.9 KB

after picture (passenger side)
Name:  IMG_0702.jpg
Views: 2494
Size:  202.4 KB

Close up
Name:  IMG_0703.jpg
Views: 2449
Size:  162.6 KB

Again I'm very happy overall, just wishing I had gone with the vinyl so that they could conform better. But oh well, not a big deal. I'll post what RPI says about the topic, hopefully it is good news.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #49
The Stig

Had to take the splitter out of the box to look at it. Too excited
Old 04-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #50
The Stig

quick photoshop

So I have spoken with Jason at Grabiak and we are planning on taking my car in the week of the 25th. They are really busy so the only things that are getting done are: wheels powdercoated gloss black, redo the tint at 20%, tint the entire windshield at 70%, and paint the calipers cobalt blue. Though I am not sure if I want the calipers blue, maybe black? I requested some photoshops to see the difference between the two. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by The Stig; 06-07-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, black chrome, boom, build thread, carbon fiber, cotw, fireball, gen5diy, kaylee, pedders, phantom black metallic, sad, the stig, this guy needs a lithograph, zl1