Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HRE Wheels
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #113
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Culley View Post
I'm curious as to how this weatherstripping forces the insert to lay a certain way. I thought it was for having the tube lay on top?
Well, ...it does (trying to think of the best way to explain this). The weather stripping forces the light pipe to stay up higher (when behind the dash insert). The light pipe sits against the dash and the insert. I'm sure the weather stripping that is attached to the back of the insert is also sitting against the dash (imagine a triangle with the light pipe forced up into the top of the corner with the weather stripping holding it up there. The higher the weather stripping, the higher the light pipe sits. Eventually, the weather stripping is going to be touching the dash too, right?

Ah hell....I'll remove it and just take pix tomorrow....lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman2SSRS View Post
I've got another trick for shimming the trim piece to get the proper gap.
I used clear hockey tape.
I layed layer after layer onto itself kind of like a deck of cards and cut it to the size I needed. About 20 layers was perfect. With the tape I could keep adding layers, or take some away to get the gap thickness right. It cuts easily with a razor blade. The pieces were about 3/4" square.
If a shadow showed up I just trimmed the tape pile smaller.
It worked really good.
I didn't think of taking any pictures, and don't want to tear it apart again, as it looks good and is all back together.
And I know exactly what you are talking about because I did the same exact thing.

The problem I found was that I was taping the problem areas...which led to taping more problem areas that came up due to the first problem areas being taped. Next thing I knew, I had pulled the part out 5 times trying to tape new area behind the insert and it getting to be a pain in the butt.

Using weather stripping from Home Depot has really been the perfect solution thus far. It took me all of 4 minutes to open the package, remove the insert, cut 3 to 4 inch pieces to go between each "rail," and snap it back together against the dash. I had to take off the insert one time...to move all of the weather stripping pieces up to hold the light pipe up higher (which pushed the insert out just enough so that more space was made for more light to come out).
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #114
Gene Culley
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boyertown, PA
Posts: 1,374
Smile

Thanks for the explanation guys. That does make sense to me that the tube would now act as a spacer since it is higher up. Pictures would be great though! And exactly what weatherstrip material are you guys buying?
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #115
overhaulengines

 
overhaulengines's Avatar
 
Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Culley View Post
Thanks for the explanation guys. That does make sense to me that the tube would now act as a spacer since it is higher up. Pictures would be great though! And exactly what weatherstrip material are you guys buying?
hello Gene, its home depot 1/4 inch weather stripping, sticky on one side. look again at the video i posted, you can see the stripping stuck to the trim. i found this link from home depot, not the same size but same kind
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

lupe
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #116
SummoneR
Paul
 
SummoneR's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOR*CAL
Posts: 6,280
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by overhaulengines View Post
hello Gene, its home depot 1/4 inch weather stripping, sticky on one side. look again at the video i posted, you can see the stripping stuck to the trim. i found this link from home depot, not the same size but same kind
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

lupe
Same stuff I used to keep my rear deck from rattling because of the sub. LOL Home Depot is making a killing off Camaro modders.
__________________
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #117
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.
 
ihaveacamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: #198
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 4,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Culley View Post
Looks like they answered your previous question before I got back. But, yes, I did tape the tube to the LED. For me, this was also necessary to control the lighting coming out of the LED where it meets the tube.
ahh I see... I might do that one day, but I actually like the look of having the two ends brighter lmao

Thanks for the info
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #118
Gene Culley
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boyertown, PA
Posts: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by overhaulengines View Post
hello Gene, its home depot 1/4 inch weather stripping, sticky on one side. look again at the video i posted, you can see the stripping stuck to the trim. i found this link from home depot, not the same size but same kind
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

lupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
Same stuff I used to keep my rear deck from rattling because of the sub. LOL Home Depot is making a killing off Camaro modders.
Thanks guys. I'll have to check it out and play around with it.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #119
Gene Culley
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boyertown, PA
Posts: 1,374
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
ahh I see... I might do that one day, but I actually like the look of having the two ends brighter lmao

Thanks for the info
I understand. I wanted mine to be more even and not brighter on each end, but either way is good!
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #120
jmart53
 
jmart53's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Cruze LTZ RS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Badger State
Posts: 565
so Ofer's drill method will result in the trim piece being flush like normal against the dash and not sticking out the 2-3mm that the no-drill method has?

Also, waiting to see what this weather stripping business is and how that helps the light comes through... I'm guessing you're using the sticky side on the dash to hold the light tube correctly all the way across the dash and have equal light emitting because the tube is not uneven with the white reflector in it?

there are multiple version of this DIY and I'm trying to find a way to combine them all for the best result
__________________
jmart53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #121
Gene Culley
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boyertown, PA
Posts: 1,374
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart53 View Post
so Ofer's drill method will result in the trim piece being flush like normal against the dash and not sticking out the 2-3mm that the no-drill method has?

Also, waiting to see what this weather stripping business is and how that helps the light comes through... I'm guessing you're using the sticky side on the dash to hold the light tube correctly all the way across the dash and have equal light emitting because the tube is not uneven with the white reflector in it?

there are multiple version of this DIY and I'm trying to find a way to combine them all for the best result
The only way to really get the light to shine up through is to have it sticking out 2-3mm. People have been putting the weatherstrip, sticky side, on the actual ABL panel. All it is doing is holding up the tube so it doesn't fall down.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #122
SummoneR
Paul
 
SummoneR's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOR*CAL
Posts: 6,280
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Culley View Post
The only way to really get the light to shine up through is to have it sticking out 2-3mm. People have been putting the weatherstrip, sticky side, on the actual ABL panel. All it is doing is holding up the tube so it doesn't fall down.

So sanding down the paint off the top edge wont either?
__________________
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #123
Gene Culley
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boyertown, PA
Posts: 1,374
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
So sanding down the paint off the top edge wont either?
I've had several customers call me recently and tell me that the sanding results in new panels, lol.

But, let's just say you sand the panel. I can see getting the passenger side panel to fit flush, but there's no way you're getting the left side flush. I also don't think it will look as good as shining behind the panel either, but that is my own opinion.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:13 AM   #124
SummoneR
Paul
 
SummoneR's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOR*CAL
Posts: 6,280
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Culley View Post
I've had several customers call me recently and tell me that the sanding results in new panels, lol.

But, let's just say you sand the panel. I can see getting the passenger side panel to fit flush, but there's no way you're getting the left side flush. I also don't think it will look as good as shining behind the panel either, but that is my own opinion.
Interesting. Yeah my passenger side lays flush, but hardly any ligt gets through I figured sanding would help it as that edge has paint on it so if the paint was off it would shine through better. As far as the driver side, the tabs that hold it need to be ground out like mentioned a while ago and it would allow the light pipe to lay down further thus allowing the panel to lay flush to teh dash, and sanding that edge again to me would allow light through, just the way when you sand the last 3-4 inches of the door to allow the light through, that would look more natural and OEM to me personally. I am going to wait though until I get around to sanding the doors, and see how it's done over there, better. Probably won't get to it for a few more days still, but I did get the pipe installed and the lights plugged in yesterday as my power was out, so I was unable to work in the house, it forced me to go outside and do it LOL perfect!

Anyway thanks Gene for the reply.

Question, can just the passenger piece be bought by itself? I may try to sand it and see the result, if it goes bad it would be cheaper to replace that one piece.
__________________
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #125
Gene Culley
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2013 SS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boyertown, PA
Posts: 1,374
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
Anyway thanks Gene for the reply.

Question, can just the passenger piece be bought by itself? I may try to sand it and see the result, if it goes bad it would be cheaper to replace that one piece.
Yes, you can buy them separately. They are like $60 or $70 I think, off the top of my head.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #126
Santos
Santos
 
Santos's Avatar
 
Drives: 1SS Blk 6M
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 400
Can u do this with the cloth panels or do I need the plastic panels for it to work?
__________________
380whp and growing
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 06:10 PM
4th Annual GM Performance Parts LSX Shootout!! nmcajeff Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 3 07-30-2010 12:05 PM
Installation Camaro Needed for Manual for a Justice Install Package in SF Bay Area Info@PeddersUSA.com USA - California 6 04-30-2010 08:02 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 07:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.