Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #276
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Holy sh!t, man...that's HORRIBLE.

If they refuse, call the bank. Deny the charges. Then file a complaint on them with the BBB. One complaint won't change the world, but as they begin to tally up, stuff happens...kind of like a little old shop in Dallas.
but that seems like so much work. hahaha. i need a secretary or lawyer to handle all this for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
That pretty much blows Kyle.
Definitely stay on them. Send a dispute to the credit card company.
...and on a good note - glad your car is running so well NOW !!!
thanks Bruce, the car is running pretty awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
...and he really needs a radar detector... I was right behind him and my radar was PEGGED. It was a trap, as the guy was sitting behind a fence just waiting on Kyle.
yea yea.... i am going to buy one this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Great build thread!
SSOOOOOOCH... thanks for stopping in buddy... leave the spatula at home!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #277
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
LOL... kind of up and down isn't it...:updown:
i like to keep you guys guessing.

what will he break next so he can get a new mod
Old 05-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #278
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

LIKE>>>>> can you imagin if I snapped a belt....

Then the only logical course of reasoning would be to go to a Beltless system such as this gear driven procharger set up..... and while we are at it.....

shit, mine as well get two of them.

I actually researched these last week..... not as tempting as I originally thought. Guess its not very streetable... here is an email from Chris Alston, the owner of this company. Chassis Works

Single drive $2900
Dual drive $4000

To make work you will need a harmonic balancer with a standard chevy pulley bolt pattern and you will also have to remount your accessories (Water pump, altenator, power steering and a/c). its not really intended for a street style car with these accessories.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #279
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

dammit Mike... went ahead and got a radar detector today... now I am moving to Michigan where we hardly have any coppers. haha.

I would be even if Monster didnt rape me out of almost the same amount as this Radar Detector. hahahaha

Old 05-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #280
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Bout damn time... Here's the thread for install...
post 57 & 91 have some good pics
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34844&page=4

and the link for an awesome mount..
http://www.southerncarparts.com/cama...nt-p-2653.html

Enjoy your ticket free driving...
Old 05-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #281
GearheadSS
Member #63

Drives: Lots
Awesome read, Kyle.

That sucks about your ordeal with XHP. You're not the first person I've heard that has had a bad experience with them. I've seen a lot shops like them over the years and the ones like that, don't stick around.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:09 AM   #282
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
Good stuff bro!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #283
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Busted!!!!

Looks like the GM photographer got a pic of the LSX getting a speeding ticket..

Attached Images

Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #284
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
Looks like the GM photographer got a pic of the LSX getting a speeding ticket..

oh crap... they got some...

oooooh well.

Live Laugh Love...

or is is Live and Learn.. i dont know... i still had lots of fun that day
Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #285
racer778
Camaro Sold

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS
Kyle, if you swing by dayton anytime soon HOLLA at me. I will be here for a month or so. got a ticket myself on the way to Ohio. couldnt talk him out of it, first ticket in years, oh well youve got to pay to play.
racer778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #286
GTAHVIT
One Lucky Guy.

Drives: #22 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Gah... I'm still ticketless... :fingerscrossed:

Leave it to mike to share it with 40K others.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #287
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

write up I did for my new ARD Trans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Soooo… it happened again…. At CamaroFest I messed up another clutch. But mind you I do not take responsibility in either occurrence. Hahaha.
At Fest 1, I just had too much power for the stock clutch, so the failure was almost expected.. almost
For Fest 2, well that was still under investigation until a few days ago when Monster said they would not warranty my clutch because there was organic material on it (oil) and this was due to improper installation. I will give you one guess as to who installed my clutch… if you read the first few posts of my build thread you will know.

Anyway, with my whole transmission already out of the car, it did not take much convincing from Russ/Deaver/Mike/Jason/Ronnie and even Owen to push their ways on me and convince me to put an Automatic into Detroit Muscle. Owen from ARD in Houston built up his own 4L80E and built it to RUN!!
To put in perspective, Owen’s daily driver has this same transmission and he has not had to touch the tranny in 2 years….. oh, and his car is well over 1000 rwhp and I believe… 4th fastest 5th gen in the world. So I was pretty stoked to have something similar in my car.

From what I hear the build went fairly smoothly, other than actually getting the yolk, but in the end, the Drive Shaft Shop came to the resuce and theirs turned out better than what was going in. Owen’s transmission went into an Automatic Camaro with a few headaches here and there, but it turns out that installing a 4L80E into a Manual Camaro makes for a much easier and cleaner build.
Below are pictures of the transmission, the B&M Proratchet shifter with LockUp mechanism, and a few internet shots of the hardware I did not have actual pics of.

4l80E: ARD stage 3 (manual)
• 3800 stall Circle D multi disk billet
• Upgraded servo piston
• Carbon rear band, carbon lined coast band
• Alto red eagle Power packs all forward gears
• 36 element sprag drum
• Trans Go 4l80E-3 full manual valve body kit
• New lower roller sprag
• New overdrive sprag roller type
• New Borg warner High energy 4th gear clutches
• All new bushings and seals

I do love the new transmission, it is fast and keeps me in boost pretty much all the time when you are above the stall converter. I have not been to the track yet, but with this, it will be almost impossible not to run mid-10s.

There are a couple downfalls to it though.
• The MPG, we expected it to drop a couple miles per gallon, but it was almost 7-8 mpg at 70mph. Even with the LockUp it still does not drop the RPMs low enough. I think another reason for this is the stall converter; quite a bit of fuel is used at lower speeds. I was getting at best, 21mpg with 708rwhp. Now with the new trans I am getting 14.5 at 70mph, if I drop it to 60 and use cruise control I can muster out about 17.5mpg. So this was a bit of a surprise for me, but you got to play to pay as we all know.
• Tranny noise – there is definitely a lot more road noise, especially in first gear, but this is all expected when dealing with the high performance parts that we have.

So those little things set aside… I love the transmission and to know it is “bulletproof” (hope I did not jinx myself) makes me feel secure that it will last a long time even with me beating on it.
I picked up car on a Friday night, Owen took me for a “spin” literally, hahaha. He showed me how it drives, and how to use the ProRatchet shifter. This took me a few hours to get into the groove, so I didn’t have to count what gear I was in. Those that have used this type of B&M shifter know what I mean. The LockUp feature, for those that dont know what it is, is described as “A lock-up clutch physically links the impeller and turbine, effectively changing the converter into a purely mechanical coupling. The result is no slippage, and virtually no power loss.”
I have an on/off switch on my console that I can use to LockUp when I am driving at highway speeds to help reduce my RPM and increase my MPG. It is a great feature, but I learned the hard way… you have to remember to turn it off before coming to a stop. Hahahaha

So, I headed over to Mlee’s house to have dinner with DaHose and DangerRuss that night, we also cleaned the car so it was ready for the Houston 2011 Camaro Convertible GM Media Event the next day. We had a blast at the event, but I tell you what… that new tranny helps me hit speeds much faster….
I am sure if you Search hard you can find some pictures proving that

So all in all, I am very pleased with my new automatic 4l80E ARD stage 3 (manual) transmission, the fit and finish that Owen puts into this is fantastic. Nothing was affected, the cruise control still works, the trans temp reads accurate, tires spin uncontrollably, and the stitching he did on my stock shifter boot is ingenious!! All I do is have to hit the throttle part way and I am off like a rocket in a straight line, when i get to the rev limiter I just smash the shifter forward, then again, then again. It is way different than having to lift and shift.

One more point to how great of a shop ARD is, my B&M shifter broke the second day, no fault at all associated with ARD, it was just a bad mechanical part. Owen sent his driver and mechanic to Austin to pick up my car, brought it back to Houston and welded up inside of the shifter to make it better than it originally was. Then brought it back to me the day before I needed it for a Cruise in my honor (going away party cruise). I cannot express how genuine and caring this shop is.

PICS BELOW -

The shifter pic does not show the LockUp button on the console, must not have been installed at the time of the pics, but there is also an intermediate LockUp button on the handle of the shifter
Oh, and I through in my Dyno sheet WITH the auto and Meth Injection.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #288
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147719
Old 05-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #289
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
That looks gay.... lol j/k

Very nice Kyle ! Looks like a first class rebuild, install and tune.

You must be having a blast with that. If people really knew how fun an auto can be, I bet you more would go that way. A stock tranny/converter/shifter is one thing, but once you set it up for some serious hp, they are just a blast to drive. ...and yeah, you aren't the only one who has forgotten to unlock the converter and sometime forget to put the tranny back in first at a light... Have done that on a few cars in the past.

But overall glad you are enjoying it. Like a brand new toy !!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #290
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
write up I did for my new ARD Trans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Awesome bro. I've been wanting this for months, but you beat me to it.

BTW...parts are on order for mine as we speak!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #291
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
I only understand "it's faster". That's good enough for me. Really though, I don't understand the automatic manual transmission. You just step on the loud pedal and bump it to the next gear when ready? Forgive my ignorance, I'm just figuring out suspension parts.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #292
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
I only understand "it's faster". That's good enough for me. Really though, I don't understand the automatic manual transmission. You just step on the loud pedal and bump it to the next gear when ready? Forgive my ignorance, I'm just figuring out suspension parts.
Yea...the 4L80 is really the best of both worlds. You get the thrill of shifting without the clutch. The shift is immediate which means you can stay in boost as you shift.

With the shifter Kyle has you simply push forward to upshift and pull back to downshift. There are some things to learn to get to reverse and park, but it doesn't take long to get used to.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #293
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:

Kind of a Manumatic...
Old 05-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #294
garcmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
Yea...the 4L80 is really the best of both worlds. You get the thrill of shifting without the clutch. The shift is immediate which means you can stay in boost as you shift.

With the shifter Kyle has you simply push forward to upshift and pull back to downshift. There are some things to learn to get to reverse and park, but it doesn't take long to get used to.
Okay, now I know what he means by staying in boost, no lifting. That is cool. So what does the little toggle next to the B&M shifter do?

Quote:
Kind of a Manumatic...
Sounds Dr Evil~ish
Old 05-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #295
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
Okay, now I know what he means by staying in boost, no lifting. That is cool. So what does the little toggle next to the B&M shifter do?
Reverse lockout. This transmission does exactly what you tell it to, and you certainly wouldn't want to put it in reverse at 80mph!
Old 05-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #296
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
and sometime forget to put the tranny back in first at a light... Have done that on a few cars in the past.
guilty as well. hahaha. Thanks Bruce. Robert and I are still planning that Florida trip to see you...!

Quote:
Awesome bro. I've been wanting this for months, but you beat me to it.
BTW...parts are on order for mine as we speak!

Quote:

what he said.

Quote:
Kind of a Manumatic...
yea.. can you imagine if I had a PneuManumatic....

that would be

Lengen

waaaait for it....

Dary
Old 05-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #297
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Quote:
Reverse lockout. This transmission does exactly what you tell it to, and you certainly wouldn't want to put it in reverse at 80mph!
Right... keeps you from going into Reverse or Park unless you push that lever....

but I also have another button for the LockUp, not shown in the pics,
Russ explain that... I have to run to a meeting..... haha
Old 05-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #298
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
Right... keeps you from going into Reverse or Park unless you push that lever....

but I also have another button for the LockUp, not shown in the pics,
Russ explain that... I have to run to a meeting..... haha
The lever is for locking out reverse and park. The button on the handle and the button not seen in the picture (wasn't installed yet) is for locking the torque converter. These performance converters heat up the transmission (this is also why you want a transmission cooler). I honestly don't know the ins and outs, but I know if you don't have a lock up you'll have too much heat and horrible gas mileage. The lockup is for cruising in 4th gear. On a full auto transmission like mine the computer triggers the lockup (at 61mph in my case). In the 4L80 it can't be automatic. The black button on the side of the shifter triggers it. Obviously it could get tiring holding down that lockup button all the time on the freeway, so Owen installed a button next to the shifter for that purpose. You do have to push it again to unlock the converter though or the car will die when you come to a stop (at least I think that's what happens). Speedster could probably explain this better than me.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #299
garcmol

Quote:
Oh wow! No, that would be bad. Thanks for explaining.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #300
garcmol

Quote:
do have to push it again to unlock the converter though or the car will die when you come to a stop (at least I think that's what happens). Speedster could probably explain this better than me.
Basically if it's locked and you try to stop it would lurch/bog down and die kind of like not pushing the clutch in before you stop? That would make sense.

Now with it locked, would that make the ratio 1:1 flywheel to 4th gear? Wonder if that's why the RPMs stay up and fuel mileage suffers. I'm just thinking out loud.

Tags
427, camaro of the week, detroit, gilmour, texigan, the circle, the mother of all twins