Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #52
WILDRACER
WILDRACER
 
WILDRACER's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2ss/rs IOM.
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mass
Posts: 97
clay baring over stripes

hello guys... im new to this site and i have watches all the vids on claying and washing/ waxing ... but the one thing i didnt see and am wondering about is.. is it ok to clay over the stripes?? i have a 2010 2ss/rs and im getting ready to clay the car and wax if but dont want to hurt my stripes. thanks for all your help..
WILDRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #53
DetailersDomain

 
Drives: Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDRACER View Post
hello guys... im new to this site and i have watches all the vids on claying and washing/ waxing ... but the one thing i didnt see and am wondering about is.. is it ok to clay over the stripes?? i have a 2010 2ss/rs and im getting ready to clay the car and wax if but dont want to hurt my stripes. thanks for all your help..
congrats on the car and welcome to the site.

I would avoid claying the strips as you can scratch them.

other than that make sure you use plenty of clay lube.

clay can also mar or scratch the car so you want to use plenty of lube and make sure you keep folding the clay bar. if you drop it throw it out and get a new piece.

if you do get some marring or fine scratches you will need to polish them out.

then finish off with a wax.

let me know if that helps.
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #54
WILDRACER
WILDRACER
 
WILDRACER's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2ss/rs IOM.
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mass
Posts: 97
thanks for your help on this.. and i plane on doing the whole thing wash ,clay,polish, and wax, seeing how its out of the snow for the winter.. and its killing me to walk by her every day... started all my mods and now i want to get her looking her best come the spring... thanks again for all your help...
WILDRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #55
DetailersDomain

 
Drives: Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDRACER View Post
thanks for your help on this.. and i plane on doing the whole thing wash ,clay,polish, and wax, seeing how its out of the snow for the winter.. and its killing me to walk by her every day... started all my mods and now i want to get her looking her best come the spring... thanks again for all your help...
no problem post up pics when you are done.
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #56
mbonet
1NF3RN0
 
mbonet's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro - 1LT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Posts: 209
I just got my 2011 Camaro in April. I was wondering how often I should wax my car? I've washed it every week since I've gotten it, and I use a California duster in between since I live in the desert and sand flies on it when the wind picks up around here.
mbonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #57
DetailersDomain

 
Drives: Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonet View Post
I just got my 2011 Camaro in April. I was wondering how often I should wax my car? I've washed it every week since I've gotten it, and I use a California duster in between since I live in the desert and sand flies on it when the wind picks up around here.
some have stated you can wax every oil change or you can wax every month if you like.
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #58
RanDMC
 
RanDMC's Avatar
 
Drives: 1LT/SS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 63
Do I need to do anything special for clayig and waxing on a car with vinyl stripes? I know I am supposed to avoid the area, but do I need to mask them or just try not to get too close?

Last edited by RanDMC; 05-20-2011 at 10:00 AM.
RanDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #59
Blackshirt56
 
Blackshirt56's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 57
I have a Black SS. I wash and wax it with whatever they use at the car wash or I do the wax myself with Turtle Wax's "black box", Black Carnauba Wax.... The next day I park outside my office and even if it doesn't rain here in Miami, I come out at the end of the day and I have water marks all over the car that burned in from sitting all day.... PLEASE HELP!!!!!

What wax do you recommend for a new black car that sits in the sun all day and might get rained on???
__________________
[SIZE="2"]2014 Red Rock Metallic 2SS/RS 1LE
Kooks 1 7/8 Headers
Roto Fab CAI,
10% tints all around
Blackshirt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #60
DetailersDomain

 
Drives: Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanDMC View Post
Do I need to do anything special for clayig and waxing on a car with vinyl stripes? I know I am supposed to avoid the area, but do I need to wask them or just try not to get too close?
avoid the vinyl stripes don't clay them. it will mar up the vinyl, ask me how I know.
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #61
DetailersDomain

 
Drives: Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshirt56 View Post
I have a Black SS. I wash and wax it with whatever they use at the car wash or I do the wax myself with Turtle Wax's "black box", Black Carnauba Wax.... The next day I park outside my office and even if it doesn't rain here in Miami, I come out at the end of the day and I have water marks all over the car that burned in from sitting all day.... PLEASE HELP!!!!!

What wax do you recommend for a new black car that sits in the sun all day and might get rained on???
are you parked near a sprinkler...

you may need to polish the water spots off.
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #62
RanDMC
 
RanDMC's Avatar
 
Drives: 1LT/SS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
avoid the vinyl stripes don't clay them. it will mar up the vinyl, ask me how I know.

So I don't need to mask them, just avoid going over the edge? Is the same true for using Klasse Sealant?
RanDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #63
DetailersDomain

 
Drives: Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanDMC View Post
So I don't need to mask them, just avoid going over the edge? Is the same true for using Klasse Sealant?
if you are afraid of hitting them while you polish and wax you should mask it.
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #64
race29
Robin
 
race29's Avatar
 
Drives: 1983 Z28, 2010 2SSRS Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ashburnham, MA
Posts: 826
Hi
Just got my new Camaro SS. Wondering what the best products are to buy to keep it clean and shiny without damaging anything.
Thanks
Robin

Last edited by race29; 06-08-2011 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling
race29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #65
DetailersDomain

 
Drives: Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 760
you can't go wrong with

Adam's Essentials Kit
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #66
MLP52
 
Drives: 2011 1LT Inferno Orange
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Melvin,MI.
Posts: 3
Rally Stripes

What is the best product to use on my flat black stripes on my car?
MLP52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #67
DetailersDomain

 
Drives: Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP52 View Post
What is the best product to use on my flat black stripes on my car?
vinyl matte black?
DetailersDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #68
babaron
Totally into it
 
babaron's Avatar
 
Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 654
drying the car

Would you recommend a specific brand of Microfiber towel to use that would minimize risk of scratching clear coat; or would you recommend something else to dry the washed car, like a chamois?

thanks,

Ron
babaron is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Detailers around York region SWRocket Canada 13 07-30-2010 06:53 PM
Detailers in San Diego??? Roddd 1SS Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection 3 07-18-2010 10:15 PM
NOVA Detailers Rafsanjani USA - Mid-Atlantic 2 04-01-2010 04:02 PM
Car Detailers XAnimal Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 0 12-21-2008 06:13 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.