Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HRE Wheels
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #101
The Stig

Drives: out of the ashes
Heritage Grille

So that $400 I was going to put towards suspension.......well it is now $235. I picked up a used heritage grille from blazzin1, I picked his grille up for $165 shipped. So score on my end. I have been wanting a heritage grille for a while now, though never really put the idea past "that would look nice". Not that I don't like my T-Rex grille, I do. It just bugs me a bit that I can see the stock grille underneath. But that's fixed now, so moving on.

The grille is not primed nor painted. But I figure this would be a great time for a DIY project. I'm pretty comfortable painting things and I have a semi dust free area that I can paint in so that's good. Now what I'm torn between is either:

A) gloss black

B) flat black

C) Screw painting lets just Plasti-Dip the whole thing

I feel that gloss black will just blend in with the rest of the front end, which I might actually want. Then I'm worried that I'd prefer the contrast of satin/flat black. I put plasti-dip on there as a possibility because it is a cheaper and easier way to get the satin black look (and its really fun to use).

Last edited by The Stig; 06-07-2011 at 08:40 PM.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #102
The Stig

First, I want to apologize for being a post whore. But that aside....

Earlier today, Pedders gave away 23 sets of their RLCA fix. LINK I was lucky enough to get a set

So yea, those are being added to my ever growing list of "need to be installed" mods. Which really stinks because all next week I will be in Key West SCUBA diving and then I get 24 hours before I head to Johns Hopkins for a month. That'll make the month of June the longest I have ever been away from my car I mean I started freaking out when Grabiak had her for a week, don't know how I'm going to go 4 weeks. I'll probably just set up a webcam in the garage and watch her all day. Kidding. Well kind of kidding, it is a pretty good idea.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:36 PM   #103
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I was looking at your mod list above. I'd definitely do the lowering springs first followed by the sway bars. Doing the suspension mods really make the car feel like it has more power because you can take better advantage of the power you already have. You can really take the turns a lot faster with much reduced body lean. Also, the drop springs make the car look a LOT better!

You're doing some very cool things with your car. I'm looking forward to see what you do with the grill. I have been on the fence about a heritage grill for quite a while.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #104
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I was looking at your mod list above. I'd definitely do the lowering springs first followed by the sway bars. Doing the suspension mods really make the car feel like it has more power because you can take better advantage of the power you already have. You can really take the turns a lot faster with much reduced body lean. Also, the drop springs make the car look a LOT better!

You're doing some very cool things with your car. I'm looking forward to see what you do with the grill. I have been on the fence about a heritage grill for quite a while.
I am pretty much set on getting the drop springs next, but I just can't decide on what drop I want. First the 1" all around drop looks great, but it just didn't scream *me me me buy me buy me*. Then, I saw that Apex was offering the split drop 1.4"/1", and this drop I fell in love with. The aggressive stance, the rake, everything. Now, right when I'm all set and made up my mind Tag gives me a break down on suspension. Then I'm going, hmmm after I add my bushings is the rear end going to be too high up? So that made me think of going with Tag's set up of 1"/1.4". It's really just coming down to me being indecisive.

I'll be sure to post the DIY install of the grille. I mean worst case scenario is I don't like it and can flip it for what I bought it for, or even take a little bit of a hit. Got to pay to play right?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:56 PM   #105
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I am pretty much set on getting the drop springs next, but I just can't decide on what drop I want. First the 1" all around drop looks great, but it just didn't scream *me me me buy me buy me*. Then, I saw that Apex was offering the split drop 1.4"/1", and this drop I fell in love with. The aggressive stance, the rake, everything. Now, right when I'm all set and made up my mind Tag gives me a break down on suspension. Then I'm going, hmmm after I add my bushings is the rear end going to be too high up? So that made me think of going with Tag's set up of 1"/1.4". It's really just coming down to me being indecisive.

I'll be sure to post the DIY install of the grille. I mean worst case scenario is I don't like it and can flip it for what I bought it for, or even take a little bit of a hit. Got to pay to play right?
I completely understand about being indecisive. It's a lot of money to spend and often your succession of mods depends on what you select now. The most important thing is to have fun while you're doing it! Your car is looking great!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #106
The Stig

Well I pulled the trigger: bought 1.4"/1" lowering springs from Apex Motorsports. Glad I did it, I was really getting tired of sitting around going back and forth on the springs. Now I get to play the fun one month long waiting game to get all of my new toys installed.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #107
The Stig

HDR compliments of racerrider

Name:  HDR black and white.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  HDR 1.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:  HDR 2.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  74.1 KB

Name:  HDR 3.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  HDR 4.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  79.6 KB

Name:  HDR 5.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  HDR 6.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  93.5 KB
Old 05-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #108
The Stig

Vmax throttle body?

Right so my entire life I've been pretty lucky. My junior year of high school I won concert tickets off of DC101 roughly every month. Ended up getting to know the DJs really well and what not. But that's beside the point. What I was getting at is that I got lucky this morning. VERY lucky, and no I didn't get pulled over or anything. This was something Camaro5 related. I was doing my usual, checking the new posts while at work thing when I came across this thread --> LINK. All I can say is , I know that's not actually saying anything, but you get the point. I really can't thank bad55nomad enough for doing this swap. So if you're reading this THANK YOU. Thank you so so much. I know that you're doing it because you need to get back to stock, but I really do appreciate it. Like, really really appreciate it.

So I guess I need to add a Vmax ported TB to my mod list. If I wasn't diagnosed before this about settles it. I've got 5GMD, that's 5th Gen Mod Disorder for those playing along at home. See Spymasters thread --> LINK
Old 05-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #109
FL1CK
MOVE!

Drives: 2011 Camaro
+1 on the 5MGD... just not as far along as you!
FL1CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #110
MANAWAR

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Hey guy,
Are you coming to the Erie Buffalo Wild Wing meet the Saturday at 1PM?

Philadelphia Phillies Fan
GPC
MANAWAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #111
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANAWAR View Post
Hey guy,
Are you coming to the Erie Buffalo Wild Wing meet the Saturday at 1PM?
Unfortunately no Bill. I'll be moving all my stuff into my temporary housing place at Johns Hopkins all weekend.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #112
Shardik2SS
How U Doin?

Drives: #21,644
I really like what you've done with your ride so far. Very tastefully done, and the XM antenna relocation was a great idea.
Shardik2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #113
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardik2SS View Post
I really like what you've done with your ride so far. Very tastefully done, and the XM antenna relocation was a great idea.
Thank you much. Though I can't take all the credit for the antenna relocation. I got the idea from 2SSRS.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #114
Revo1
Camaronogamous

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Lookin sweet man, keep it up!

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #115
The Stig

So, getting more mod ideas into my head. Damn 5GMD. Moving on, I have slowly been deleting any chrome/silver colored plastic from my car. One thing that I haven't had a chance to address yet are the door sills. While yes, they are a slightly minor thing it would be nice to change them up a bit. What I'm thinking is something along the lines of the BLACK concept's sill plates. See below. Going to shoot EmblemPros a PM, hopefully they will be able to help me out.

Also, two things.

1) I have a sheet of FatMat sound deadener just lying around and I want to use it. Any suggestions of where to put it? Basically where should I put it to get the best result? As of now, just my trunk is done. I'm thinking rear deck?

2) I have a G2 brake caliper kit in Blue. Don't really need it. So if anyone wants it I'll let you have it for dirt cheap.

EDIT: Look at the top right hand corner of the image. The floor mats say BLACK on them. Having seen this, I must now have it. I'm thinking an embroidery shop? Maybe? If anyone knows of a place in NoVa or online please chime in.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #116
paulsandhu
Puth Sardaran Da!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Looks like the both of us think alike. I've had my eyes on those sill plates for a while, same with the mats.

Have you thought about finding a way to get white guage faces?
Arrival Date: July 2, 2009

Project GHOST: The Member Car Journal

Follow me on Twitter @realPaulSandhu
paulsandhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:53 AM   #117
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsandhu View Post
Looks like the both of us think alike. I've had my eyes on those sill plates for a while, same with the mats.

Have you thought about finding a way to get white guage faces?
Thanks, I'll definitely let you know what Emblem Pros says whenever they get back to me. I'm hoping that they can do the sills at a reasonable price.

As for the white gauge faces, I haven't really thought about it much. But check this thread out LINK . 2SSRS and I came up with a few possible ways to do that mod.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #118
The Stig

Happy dance time

This is the PM I got back from Roger at Emblem Pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonZ28
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger
G'day,

I was wondering if you guys would be able to do a custom door sill for me? It is the door sill from the camaro BLACK concept car.

I do not know if this would/could be done with vinyl or plastic, etc. Please let me know, I look forward to hearing back from you.
Sorry for the long delay in my answer,
We can do it from flat black acrylic and the letters painted from the rear. It would look very similar to this piece, but from the picture I cannot tell what they actually used.
We are not licensed yet for the sills, but I expect it this week. Then we can use logos on them.

Thanks, Roger
I didn't really consider this a top priority mod, but now that I know Roger can do it no problem it may have jumped to the top, or at least top 5.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #119
The Stig

So no VMax throttle body :( bad55nomad was able to fix his lean problem and will no longer be needing my stock TB. *tear* while I am sad that I won't be getting his TB I am glad to hear that he was able to work everything out with his tune.

Outside of that I don't really have any updates. Should be getting a lot of parts in over the next week or so. I won't be able to get them installed until I am back from Johns Hopkins come July. I might be picking up some two tone visors from Ace Custom Steering. They are running a special LINK where you get a free leather E-brake cover with any purchase. I was toying with the idea of getting their visors anyway, but this definitely helped me in the right direction. Once they get back to me I will update Kaylee's mod list.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #120
The Stig

May 18 Photo Shoot

Old 06-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #121
The Stig

Been chatting with Brian (6LITEREATER) about doing the white gauge faces like with the BLACK concept camaro. These are the ones he did for the Dale Earnhardt camaro. I'm really liking these over the gray OEM ones. This might end up being my next mod, who knows. Only downside is that these things have a 3-5 week turn around time.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #122
The Stig

ACE Custom Steering just posted a pic of my new visors. So I figured I would add it to my build thread.

*I also saw that I broke 5,000 views, so ..... . To my readers (man that sounds weird), don't be shy. I like comments/questions/insults, well maybe not insults but the other two I'm OK with.*

Old 06-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #123
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Also, I want to touch on safety and the use of proper protective equipment when handling power tools. When I was installing the OEM halo ring over my LED halos I had to cut the bottom portion of the OEM halo so that it would fit in front of the LED halo. I attempted to cut the plastic halo ring with a sawzaw. BAD IDEA.

I ended up cutting my thumb pretty bad from the splintering/melting plastic. Took a safer route and used bolt cutters. Much better idea, worked like a charm and no further injuries.
Rookie................ Psh.........

Name:  100_0764.JPG
Views: 991
Size:  35.3 KBName:  100_0765.JPG
Views: 992
Size:  32.1 KB
Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #124
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Do you have any pics of your interior as a whole? Really looks like some nice work you've done.

I still want those side markers. Looking for a group buy with the guys in J-Ville.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #125
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Rookie................ Psh.........

Attachment 253308Attachment 253309
alright I get it, your thumbs bloodier than my thumb. Let's just see who's winning after my next mod.

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, black chrome, boom, build thread, carbon fiber, cotw, fireball, gen5diy, kaylee, pedders, phantom black metallic, sad, the stig, this guy needs a lithograph, zl1