Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,350
car is making a noise

i have recently noticed my car will make a noise at idle. it doesn't happen all the time. i drove for about 30 mins today and only happen after a hard acceleration then i came to a idle and hear a few ding or click like noises. then after normal driving i don't hear at idle at stop lights. also i heard it one time when reversing. i think the noise is either coming from front or middle of the car. my mods are cam + supporting mods.

thanks for any help.
__________________
2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
2015 C7 ordered - 2LT Z51
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,795
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
sounds kinda like excess fuel in the exhaust and/or exhaust cooling down from being heated higher than normal during your hard acceleration popping and cracking.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED
 
jsharp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ar
Posts: 2,329
Lifters
__________________
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Nitto 555R@25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,350
thanks for the info guys, i am no expert this really helps. you think GM would cover me on lifters ? i would be going to a mod friendly dealership. is it safe to drive this to dealership or shop if the lifters are bad ?
__________________
2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
2015 C7 ordered - 2LT Z51
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,795
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
thanks for the info guys, i am no expert this really helps. you think GM would cover me on lifters ? i would be going to a mod friendly dealership. is it safe to drive this to dealership or shop if the lifters are bad ?
with the cam? most likely not.

but... you wont know till you ask.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #6
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
with the cam? most likely not.

but... you wont know till you ask.
well if thats the case i would be better off replacing it with better lifters. you think its ok to drive the car ?
__________________
2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
2015 C7 ordered - 2LT Z51
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #7
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,350
i was listening to bad lifters on youtube, and its not making that "clicking" type noise. its more of a ping or clink type noise. i feel like its coming from the headers. the noise kind of sounds like what a car does when its turned off. and it starts to makes those weird noises to cold off or something.

ok heres what it sounds like, listen from 3:35-3:45 on this vid. but this car is off. my car will do this when its on.




Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
sounds kinda like excess fuel in the exhaust and/or exhaust cooling down from being heated higher than normal during your hard acceleration popping and cracking.
i also recently got a re-tune, and they changed a few things. hopefully this is the case.
__________________
2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
2015 C7 ordered - 2LT Z51

Last edited by mikeSS; 08-14-2011 at 01:44 AM.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,795
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
i was listening to bad lifters on youtube, and its not making that "clicking" type noise. its more of a ping or clink type noise. i feel like its coming from the headers. the noise kind of sounds like what a car does when its turned off. and it starts to makes those weird noises to cold off or something.

ok heres what it sounds like, listen from 3:35-3:45 on this vid. but this car is off. my car will do this when its on.





i also recently got a re-tune, and they changed a few things. hopefully this is the case.
its not lifters, its just the exhaust cooling off and pinging. damn near every car I've ever driven does that, modded or not
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
A group as a whole tends to be smarter than the smartest person in that group until one jackass convinces everyone otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
its not lifters, its just the exhaust cooling off and pinging. damn near every car I've ever driven does that, modded or not
ok see why i was worried was because the car was on when it happen. i am use to car being off when a hear a noise like this.

thanks again for the help.
__________________
2010 camaro cammed- sold
2013 E92 V8 M3 DCT ZCP
2015 C7 ordered - 2LT Z51
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White Camaro ZL1 with Automatic Transmission... First Pics... BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 182 08-12-2011 09:13 AM
2010 Chevrolet Camaro makes finalist list for 2010 World Car Design of the Year Tran 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 37 02-17-2010 04:22 PM
Sports Car???? Eduk8r 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 50 09-21-2009 02:31 AM
09 Mustang GT and 09 Challenger R/T test drives CamaroSpike23 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 19 04-10-2009 04:27 PM
"The car of the future may turn out to be no car at all." Scotsman General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 2 11-03-2007 12:22 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.