Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
Don57
Drives a beast!

Drives: Yellow 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
How to disable OnStar?

Now that OnStar is planning on selling information on your personal driving habits even if you are no longer paying for their service, does anyone know how to disable the OnStar system in the Camaro entirely? Is there maybe just a dedicated fuse for it that can be pulled?

For shame, OnStar.

More information: http://www.onstar.com/tunnel-web/web...t-2011-USE.pdf

Important points from the above link:

Quote:
* We have added more detailed information about the information we collect about you and about your Vehicle, including how we collect your information, what we do with it and how we share it. For example, unless the Data Connection in your Vehicle is deactivated, information about your Vehicle may continue to be collected even if you do not have a Plan.

* In addition to other purposes set out in the prior version of the Privacy Statement, we may use the information we collect about you and your Vehicle to improve the quality of our Service and offerings and may share the information we collect with law enforcement or other public safety officials, credit card processors and/or third parties we contract with who conduct joint marketing initiatives with OnStar.

Don57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
Looks like F14 in the dash fuse panel.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
call them up and tell them you do not want them to collect your data

Unless the Data Connection to your Vehicle is deactivated, data about
your Vehicle will continue to be collected even if you do not have a
Plan. It is important that you convey this to other drivers, occupants,
or subsequent owners of your Vehicle. You may deactivate the Data
Connection to your Vehicle at any time by contacting an OnStar
Advisor.

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
Don57
Drives a beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue10CamaroSS View Post
call them up and tell them you do not want them to collect your data
I trust a broken circuit to disable an electronic device more than I trust a corporation to keep its word.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Don57
Drives a beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNo View Post
Looks like F14 in the dash fuse panel.
Do you know if that fuse affects OnStar only and not anything else like the satellite radio or bluetooth?

Old 09-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Remove the Onstar module from behind the glove box

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51929
Old 09-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
Can't say I'm surprised. I seriously considered the Mustang because i didn't want Onstar!
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Wrap your camaro in aluminum foil.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
I just did my head liner.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Old 09-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #11
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I know that Onstar likely does provide info to your insurance company without your knowledge. Maybe paid for, maybe free, I dunno. I just got a check in the mail from my insurance company. It said for "rating information received" so when I called them, they said it's for a low-mileage discount rebate because of the little amount the car gets driven. How would they know that unless someone told them? Onstar is the only other entity that knows the mileage on the car. I only gave the insurance company the miles on the car when I purchased the premium in the first place. Not since. Nobody else knows how many miles the car gets driven in a year but me and the star. Well, and now my insurance company.

Pic of what was attached to the check below. Obviously some things are covered for my privacy, but the star probably knows all that anyway.

Some may think "cool, onstar saved you money" but I'm a bit concerned over the fact that I didn't tell them. I could see this going a different direction as well. I'm not thinking the sky is falling, but I'd rather it be an opt-in situation vs. opt-out.

I lean libertarian. If you don't and think that onstar is all about helping you without interfering one bit in your personal life, then you probably don't or can't understand the concern. Which is probably why I don't understand your lack of concern.

*pulls out the tin-foil to make a new hat* <-- just in case.
Attached Images

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
Don57
Drives a beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
Remove the Onstar module from behind the glove box

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51929
Hmmm... This, too, makes it sound like the Bluetooth capabilities of the car are linked to the OnStar module. I use the Bluetooth functionality in my car for hands-free calling with my BlackBerry and would not want to lose the ability to do that.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don57 View Post
Hmmm... This, too, makes it sound like the Bluetooth capabilities of the car are linked to the OnStar module. I use the Bluetooth functionality in my car for hands-free calling with my BlackBerry and would not want to lose the ability to do that.
Bluetooth is part of Onstar, if you pull the onstar box you lose BT. You might be able to just disconnect the antenna, though, but if you love BT and hate Onstar, your bets bet is costar/bluestar.

I love how everybody always defends Onstar on here and think that those that have a problem with it are tin foil hat nutjobs. I don't want to hear any of you complain when your warranty is denied because Onstar noticed you accidentally overreved your engine, or you insurance goes up because you drove 1000 miles more than you said you would, or you have to pay a road tax because you drove x amount of miles on your local roads, etc.

The problem you all don't understand is that its a slippery slope, and the further the sled goes down the slope, the more momentum it builds up and the more difficult to stop. Sure, maybe right now they aren't going to give your information to the cops for an automatic speeding ticket because they know your car did 90 in a 65, however, give it a few years as they keep sharing more and more info. They'll keep sending out new privacy notices as you get used to it little by little, by the time you wake up, its too late.
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
that's silly, just the shark fin on top is all you need.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onstar