Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 09-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #29
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Hey to all...

Just followed the advice of the OP...

Dunno how many other people did a little FB searchin, but it didn't take long. Hopefully, we don;t overwhelm him with a bunch of messages that he begins to trash them. I included links to the various widespread, unresolved issues so he/they can see it's not an isolated issue, but a concern effecting numerous customers.

I'll update with whatever info I receive.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #30
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
I am sorry if I mislead anyone. All I was trying to do is say I found the guy on facebook. If you have an issue take it to him instead of the dealer. I have not heard back except from a guy today while I was on the golf coarse saying Al told me to give you a call and make sure everything is ok so far. Told him my car goes in next week for the top so call me on Wednesday or Thursday and I'll let you know then.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:24 AM   #31
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
No need to apologize. Written comments at times don't easily convey intent or tone.

No doubt, however, I'm guessing just about every 'vert owner (registered on C5, or not) who reads any of the "top issue" threads, must be concerned with the high incidence of problems ranging from the quality of the workmanship (loose threads) to the integrity of the frame and surrounding structures to the potential for water seeping into the cabin from various sources (rain, washing, ac runoff).

Granted, the 'vert is a 1st model year vehicle and therefore may record a higher incidence of problems, but even 2012 MY owners are encountering these same problems as have 2011 MY owners. I would find it near impossible to believe that any of the individuals who were provided 'verts to drive everyday as part of the "testing" process, didn't encounter problems of one sort or another involving the convertible top.

Most of us either know or suspect at least one, if not more, members here are connected, in some capacity, directly to GM / Chevrolet and I'm hoping these folks are taking serious note of the complaints found here and are researching these in working toward resolving these seemingly common problems affecting the Camaro convetible top.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #32
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
I will pass on anything. I guess next time I find out some info and can steer people in the right direction I'll keep it to myself. Imagine if the fuse pull would of been kept quiet? A lot of us would have slow V8's.
I hear ya on that.

Like on all sites, we have our share of idiots on here. Ignore them. Pretty clear to me (from beginning to end) that you found a different way to try to address this problem and are working on it. You even gave them how you started on your path (duh, they can do the same!) If they can't understand that, in what you have posted so far (including post #6), then maybe they deserve to have problems. Geez /end rant.

I, for one, appreciate that you may have found a different leverage point to try get the problem solved. Sometimes it takes a little outside the box thinking to get things done. It may come to nothing, but at least you are trying (and I know you'll keep us updated).

As for getting no response recently, I would think he will do nothing if you are in the process of having the top replaced. He has to wait for that process to finish out before he can do anything. I imagine if that goes bad, he MAY attempt to work with you then.

Good luck.
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #33
ctinatx

Drives: 2014 SS Sedan
Old 09-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #34
whidobie

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS RS
GM can't be deaf, dumb, or blind with this. It is time for them to issue a recall on the problems. The only issue is, that they probably can't issue a recall because they do not know the fix!

Maybe it will take a mass gathering by us at their main offices. Want to chip in on a GIANT LEMON!
whidobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #35
95birdible

I agree it will probably be a recall. It was a design flaw from the beginning. I don't see how putting new canvas on will keep it from rubbing and wearing. It is the frame that is doing it. Mine supposed to get fixed next week. The guys shop is by my house so I can watch him fix it.
"Green Flash"
Old 09-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #36
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
How the hell do they not notice these problems during testing? I swear these companies must use monkeys to test everything.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #37
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
I agree it will probably be a recall. It was a design flaw from the beginning. I don't see how putting new canvas on will keep it from rubbing and wearing. It is the frame that is doing it. Mine supposed to get fixed next week. The guys shop is by my house so I can watch him fix it.
Please keep us posted, Bird. Should be interesting to hear what he does.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #38
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by whidobie View Post
GM can't be deaf, dumb, or blind with this. It is time for them to issue a recall on the problems. The only issue is, that they probably can't issue a recall because they do not know the fix! {yet}
I think you hit it right on the head (I editted in the yet for you ). I believe that they are waiting to see if they can come up with standard fixes for the problems. From what I have seen, they seem to be addressing these issues immediately and without cost considerations (for the most part). This would lead me to believe that they are "working on the problem" (yeah, I bet you've all heard that a time or two )

Oh yeah, and birdie, if you haven't already (and he contacts you back) be sure to reference a thread on here (like the long azz "Convertible top thread"). Though he may not read it, I found that in some instances, doing that helped me with my situation. Power in numbers and all........
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #39
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
I swear these companies must use monkeys to test everything.
You sir are incorrect. They are using specially trained TRUNK monkeys and not your every day run of the mill monkeys.

-Fuk
2012 Convert 2SS/RS SW/IO LS3 - Build #1081

07/21/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping.
08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
08/16/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
08/19/2011 - In my possession.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #40
95birdible

Believe me If and when he gets back to me I will forward a few links to him from not only this site but other links I have found using google about our top issues. I thought they would have it fixed by the 12 model year but I guess not. I just have the rubbing and not pinching yet. I do not want a new top but I guess I will next week. What Chevy should do is re-engineer this top and replace all of ours. Rails, canvas, everything. It is much easier to replace the top this way then strip the canvas off and replace it. Heck, that is what they did on the 4th Gens when tops needed to be replaced.
"Green Flash"
Old 09-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #41
Xorshaik
An engineer

Drives: 4 wheels and a motor
I was going to ask for a link... I found this, but is this the original post? (strange, the below is a repost, when I tried posting another URL it was editted as if I was hitting the bad word filter)

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814217

I just wanted to point out what I've said before, that Magna picked up the top in January 2010. What is being described in the article above is indeed typical of what is done, but that would be pretty compressed timing to do all of that in that timeframe. And we're talking about Michigan, there isn't exactly a lot of top-down weather before Indy 500 season.
Xorshaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #42
95birdible

That is where I got it from I think. I called him out on it in my Facebook message to him.
"Green Flash"