Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
DROPIMP
 
Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ciudad Obregon, Mexico
Posts: 41
Borla S Type owners!

Hey Guys, I'm about to buy an exhaust for my 2010 auto SS but, as everyone does in the begining, I can't take a decision.
I really love the sound of the S type catback by Borla, but i heard about the "drone" (my car is bone stock and still have the afm on).
Does anybody have this cat back system on his Camaro?
I heard of the drone free Solo perf., they sound really mean, but a little too agressive for me...
Please help me with your experiences and comments!
Thnx!!
DROPIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
lightner75
President LoneStarCamaro
 
Drives: 2010 cyber gray 2ss
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: dfw
Posts: 528
i have the axel back s-type and yes with all exhaust it does have a little drone between 75 and 80 in 6th gear but not to bad.....the drone is a personal preference thing...whats bad to one is not that bad to others
__________________
lightner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
010 Camaro SS

 
010 Camaro SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,493
Borla Type S here from the start...No issues at all...I did the
Hypertech Programmer at first took out the AFM...This year i
did headers finished exhaust & custom tune...Love it...Good
luck with your decision and was at your point lat year...
Did not regret Borla Type S at all...
010 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
DROPIMP
 
Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ciudad Obregon, Mexico
Posts: 41
You're right, it's something personal, maybe I'm gonna like it...What I am sure of, is that I don't like the noise the car does in 3rd gear around 1500 rpm when afm comes on...
DROPIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
DROPIMP
 
Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ciudad Obregon, Mexico
Posts: 41
Quote:
Borla Type S here from the start...No issues at all...I did the
Hypertech Programmer at first took out the AFM...This year i
did headers finished exhaust & custom tune...Love it...Good
luck with your decision and was at your point lat year...
Did not regret Borla Type S at all...
Thank you man, in the begining, did you run the car with the cat back alone (I mean without any tune)?
The only way to tune out the afm is by buying a 300 dlls tuner no??
DROPIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
State Funded
 
State Funded's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Black SS w/IOM painted stripes
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPIMP View Post
Hey Guys, I'm about to buy an exhaust for my 2010 auto SS but, as everyone does in the begining, I can't take a decision.
I really love the sound of the S type catback by Borla, but i heard about the "drone" (my car is bone stock and still have the afm on).
Does anybody have this cat back system on his Camaro?
I heard of the drone free Solo perf., they sound really mean, but a little too agressive for me...
Please help me with your experiences and comments!
Thnx!!
It's there, but I got used to it 'till everytime the old lady rides in the car and complains about it. I don't notice it if the radio is on, well worth the trade off of having a nice sound at idle and an aggressive note at wot. (very satisfied) Tried sound dampening skin in trunk just to see if it would quiet it down a little and didn't notice a difference. Maybe I should try it on the girlfriend.
State Funded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!
 
HufferSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SC
Posts: 3,333
I have the Borla Stinger on my car and if I had to do it all over again I would buy the exact same exhaust. I LOVE it!! My car is an M6 and I do have some drone if I am lazy with shifting and lug the motor.....if I am in the right gear then no drone.

Easily the best sounding exhaust on the market in my opinion.
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
1FAST SS
 
1FAST SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 576
I have a L99 with DT shorty headers, JBA Hi Flow cats, and Borla S type catback. There is drone around 65-70 in drive mode. In manual mode it isn't as bad. Love the sound, but hate the drone.

I am planning to have a tune both for performance gains and to solve the drone issue. Until the tune I can live with the drone. Love the sound when I take off, so I would buy it all over again even with the slight drone. I hope this helps you.
__________________
2011 Camaro SS Synergy Green

CAI Cold Air Induction, ADM Race Scoop, Apex Washer Bottle Kit, Doug Thorley Shorty Headers, JBA Hi Flow Cats, Borla S-Type Catback, o2 Sensor Extensions, AAC Plasma DRL's, Showstopper LED Sidemarkers,Carbon FIber Bow Ties, 35% Window Tint, Llyod's Floor Mats, JBL MS-8 Sound Processor, 2 Alpine PDX-1.600, Alpine PDX-4.100, JL Audio C5-650, JL Audio C5-650x, Alpine T10 Type R Shallow Mount, Stinger Dry Cell Battery
1FAST SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
010 Camaro SS

 
010 Camaro SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPIMP View Post
Thank you man, in the begining, did you run the car with the cat back alone (I mean without any tune)?
The only way to tune out the afm is by buying a 300 dlls tuner no??
Bought the Hypertech tuner first...Actually had the Axle Back Type S...
I found a huge difference with just the tuner and axle back...But i's like anything else your gonna want more...
010 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #10
DROPIMP
 
Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ciudad Obregon, Mexico
Posts: 41
Thank you very much everybody!!

When you buy a tuner it already comes with the tune to disable AFM right?
Or do I have to buy it too?
I don't really understand how tuners work, does it come blank?
Lol sorry for all these questions I am a beginner!
Thnx!
DROPIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
DROPIMP
 
Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ciudad Obregon, Mexico
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 010 Camaro SS View Post
Bought the Hypertech tuner first...Actually had the Axle Back Type S...
I found a huge difference with just the tuner and axle back...But i's like anything else your gonna want more...
Thnx man, so the Hypertech is a good tuner... In which ways did it change your car? Or did you only use it to tune out AFM?
As I am only going to put cat back on, 380 dlls seems to be a lot of money just to tune out AFM...
Thnx!
DROPIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
bannonm

 
bannonm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,379
And realize if you change the factory tune, your power train warranty may be affected. Search the forum and you'll find all kinds of info about it.
bannonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #13
mrvenicess

 
mrvenicess's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Venice Fl
Posts: 1,074
I have a Borla S type cat back with LT headers which I modified with Solo's J pipe. No drone anymore.
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #14
brantley847
v It bites.
 
brantley847's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 3,402
A lil bit between 70-80 mph on the freeway... if you don't do much highway driving, you won't notice it.

I have long tube headers with mine and it still doesn't bother me much. I listen to my music between 7-13 and don't notice it at all.

You can always do SOLO or Corsa to remove drone, but I went to multiple shows/meets with 5th gens and nothing... NOTHING rivals the TONE of the Borla S type. With headers, I drive with the windows down for city driving because it sounds so incredible.
__________________
2011 2SS/RS
Performance: 439 RWHP A6: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, FTI Converter, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Appearance:Smoked side markers and black bowties. Blk / Blue Carbon Fiber interior trim.

Next in order: F14s, 3.70 gears, DSS Axles, End links/Toe rods/trailing arms, Ported heads, S/C.







1100 7/02 Ordered
3800 8/09 Order produced
4200 8/13 Shipped
6000 8/24 HOME!
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #15
DROPIMP
 
Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ciudad Obregon, Mexico
Posts: 41
Quote:
And realize if you change the factory tune, your power train warranty may be affected. Search the forum and you'll find all kinds of info about it.
Thnx man, my warranty voids in less than a month!

Quote:
I have a Borla S type cat back with LT headers which I modified with Solo's J pipe. No drone anymore.
Quote:
A lil bit between 70-80 mph on the freeway... if you don't do much highway driving, you won't notice it.

I have long tube headers with mine and it still doesn't bother me much. I listen to my music between 7-13 and don't notice it at all.

You can always do SOLO or Corsa to remove drone, but I went to multiple shows/meets with 5th gens and nothing... NOTHING rivals the TONE of the Borla S type. With headers, I drive with the windows down for city driving because it sounds so incredible.
Thank you for your opinions, I am really willing to buy this muffler, moreover I saw it was only 1077 dlls in apex!
I still don't know if I will buy tuner from the begining...
DROPIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #16
Ratt
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2ss
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 199
If you have an auto you will have drone with any system until you remove the AFM or get headers. I have the Borla S Cat back with ARH headers and I love it. The headers took away any drone. The only time I get a strange hollow sound is when the AFM kicks in. I'm having the car tuned later this month and the AFM will be gone then. I can let you know if there is any difference after the AFM is gone.

Your better off going to a shop and putting it on a Dyno rather than buying your own tuner.
Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:28 AM   #17
brantley847
v It bites.
 
brantley847's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 3,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
If you have an auto you will have drone with any system until you remove the AFM or get headers. I have the Borla S Cat back with ARH headers and I love it. The headers took away any drone. The only time I get a strange hollow sound is when the AFM kicks in. I'm having the car tuned later this month and the AFM will be gone then. I can let you know if there is any difference after the AFM is gone.

Your better off going to a shop and putting it on a Dyno rather than buying your own tuner.
That isn't drone. That is just the audible sound generated from having AFM. Drone is a generated frequency that will occur in an auto or manual...

Yes, once you tune it out the sound will go away COMPLETELY. You will have the true drone at 75 mph or so on the highway, but the AFM is awful. I cannot believe you were able to handle it for that long... you deserve an award for your troubles.

I tuned AFM out within a week of header install. After getting a good performance tune with efficiency in mind, I actually gain MPGs. (barely). Still around 17 city.
__________________
2011 2SS/RS
Performance: 439 RWHP A6: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, FTI Converter, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Appearance:Smoked side markers and black bowties. Blk / Blue Carbon Fiber interior trim.

Next in order: F14s, 3.70 gears, DSS Axles, End links/Toe rods/trailing arms, Ported heads, S/C.







1100 7/02 Ordered
3800 8/09 Order produced
4200 8/13 Shipped
6000 8/24 HOME!
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:23 AM   #18
DROPIMP
 
Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ciudad Obregon, Mexico
Posts: 41
Quote:
If you have an auto you will have drone with any system until you remove the AFM or get headers. I have the Borla S Cat back with ARH headers and I love it. The headers took away any drone. The only time I get a strange hollow sound is when the AFM kicks in. I'm having the car tuned later this month and the AFM will be gone then. I can let you know if there is any difference after the AFM is gone.

Your better off going to a shop and putting it on a Dyno rather than buying your own tuner.
Thanx man, I would love to, but I am in Mexico and this is not really easy to find a dyno, I would have to go to tucson and it means lots of money lol!
DROPIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:28 AM   #19
MarylandSpeed



 
MarylandSpeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,679
I have no drone on my M6. Never installed one on an A6..maybe soon.
__________________
www.marylandspeed.com * 443-730-9428 * Great Prices and Experienced Service!

MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #20
NavyDood
Retired Navy
 
NavyDood's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NW of DFW
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROPIMP View Post
Thnx man, my warranty voids in less than a month!
Unless you have driven 100,000 miles already your powertrain warranty is not over yet.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #21
DROPIMP
 
Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ciudad Obregon, Mexico
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
Unless you have driven 100,000 miles already your powertrain warranty is not over yet.
Right, I was confused with the 2 years warranty, what includes the powertrain warranty? And for the tune, can't I take it back to stock before taking it to the dealer so it doesn't voids the warranty?
DROPIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #22
Switchback700
 
Switchback700's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IBM L99
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 274
Put Borla Axle back on my A6 when I first got it...... the 8 cylinder sound is much improved and the drone is not bad, the sound of 4 cylinders and the 4 cylinder drone was bad for me.... 73mph, 4 cylinders, harmonic drone would make my dash vibrate. Had mine tuned off pretty quick! Do some searches here.... manual paddle shifting kept AFM off on mine 100% of the time, some say it still activates in paddle mode, try yours. This was a brain saving technique for me when taking my 3-4 hour drive to our cottage. Manual shift to 6th gear on the highway and AFM stayed off the whole time.
__________________
-Lloyd's Mats
-GMPP Axle Back Exhaust (Street Version)
-JL Audio Stealthbox W/12" W6V2 Sub
-JL Audio 500/1v2 Amp
-Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers, Livernois Dyno Tune
-Borla Mid Pipe
-Roto-Fab C.A.I. Custom Paint, Full CF Inlet.
-Roto-Fab Custom IBM, SIM Engine Covers, Fuse
Box Cover, Radiator Cover, CF Plenum Cover.
-Unique Auto Depot Complete Engine Billet
Aluminum Dress, Billet Trunk "SS" plaques.
-Emblempros Custom Stainless Underhood Bowtie
-Stock 333 rwhp, 380 rwhp now
Switchback700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #23
Switchback700
 
Switchback700's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IBM L99
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
That isn't drone. That is just the audible sound generated from having AFM. Drone is a generated frequency that will occur in an auto or manual...

Yes, once you tune it out the sound will go away COMPLETELY. You will have the true drone at 75 mph or so on the highway, but the AFM is awful. I cannot believe you were able to handle it for that long... you deserve an award for your troubles.

I tuned AFM out within a week of header install. After getting a good performance tune with efficiency in mind, I actually gain MPGs. (barely). Still around 17 city.

You will have the sound of a 4 banger with a Borla, and the sound of a 4 banger in the "Drone" zone with a Borla when AFM is activated. AFM is not some mechanical noise under your hood........ AFM is like driving around with a 4 banger... which when hitting the "Drone" zone is much worse than the 8 cylinder drone you will also encounter with a Borla.
__________________
-Lloyd's Mats
-GMPP Axle Back Exhaust (Street Version)
-JL Audio Stealthbox W/12" W6V2 Sub
-JL Audio 500/1v2 Amp
-Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers, Livernois Dyno Tune
-Borla Mid Pipe
-Roto-Fab C.A.I. Custom Paint, Full CF Inlet.
-Roto-Fab Custom IBM, SIM Engine Covers, Fuse
Box Cover, Radiator Cover, CF Plenum Cover.
-Unique Auto Depot Complete Engine Billet
Aluminum Dress, Billet Trunk "SS" plaques.
-Emblempros Custom Stainless Underhood Bowtie
-Stock 333 rwhp, 380 rwhp now
Switchback700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #24
brantley847
v It bites.
 
brantley847's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 3,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback700 View Post
You will have the sound of a 4 banger with a Borla, and the sound of a 4 banger in the "Drone" zone with a Borla when AFM is activated. AFM is not some mechanical noise under your hood........ AFM is like driving around with a 4 banger... which when hitting the "Drone" zone is much worse than the 8 cylinder drone you will also encounter with a Borla.
I know, I have been there and you are preaching to the choir... but drone to me is not some obnoxious sound that just activates at 35 mph in the city out of the blue when you were maintaining 35 with 8 cylinders and there was no sound at all...when AFM activates *POOF* now you have drone? .... That sir...that is the sound of death and avoidance of a gas guzzler tax...
__________________
2011 2SS/RS
Performance: 439 RWHP A6: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, FTI Converter, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Appearance:Smoked side markers and black bowties. Blk / Blue Carbon Fiber interior trim.

Next in order: F14s, 3.70 gears, DSS Axles, End links/Toe rods/trailing arms, Ported heads, S/C.







1100 7/02 Ordered
3800 8/09 Order produced
4200 8/13 Shipped
6000 8/24 HOME!
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
afm, axle back, borla s-type, cat back, catback

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Borla S Type owners.... Tantalizer43 Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 13 02-03-2011 04:06 PM
FS Borla S Type Axle Back for SS 428SS V8 - Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons, Tuning Equipment 6 12-20-2010 04:42 PM
F/S BORLA "S" TYPE EXHAUST jrpxxii V8 - Engine, Exhaust, Bolt-Ons, Tuning Equipment 3 09-06-2010 11:36 PM
Borla S Type with Headers caverman Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 10 08-23-2010 09:52 AM
Borla S type catback group buy??? Jeffro Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 10 12-10-2009 02:27 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.