Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #26
Z_Rocks

 
Drives: a Jet :-)
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Yes, me too. But if it is that high, then I will buy the CTS-V instead.
Took a ride in my friend's brand new CTS-V coupe and I tell you, look & feel wise, it's even better than M5 [that he traded in]. Might be a tad slower than ZL1, but it turns ahead every where.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #27
tooslow
Account *********
 
tooslow's Avatar
 
Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I think that GM knows that if the ZL1 is priced much more than ten percent higher than a "similarly equipped" GT500 or in the CTS-V range, most potential ZL1 buyers will choose to purchase other vehicles. The ZL1 needs to be priced in the range where its target demographic can and will purchase it.
I respectfully disagree. I think GM has already done it's homework and knows how many of these cars they can sell on an annual basis based on brand-loyalty alone. Let's face it, even if the updated GT500 outperforms the ZL1, there are still a ton of people who would never buy one based simply on the fact that it is produced by Ford. IMO, GM is counting on those people to buy this car, not your average unbiased consumer. And if the price is too high for "a Camaro", they will likely lean to staying in the GM family and go for a Corvette (performance) or CTS-V (luxury/performance).
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #28
1BADZL1
THE CAMARO KING
 
1BADZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 on order #PZSD7S
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Out Somewhere Driving My 'BADZL1'
Posts: 2,290
I would not worry about the comment on pricing...
Jay said something to the effect of...."under $70k?"
They simply cannot disclose any pricing atm... Period...
its not like he would say..."oh jay...its going to be more than 75k..."
or ...."oh Jay....it will be less than "$70k....
He simply cannot say... or WONT say.... is the fact of the matter...
He also said the car would do 177mph something.... Is that fact?
"Think" people before you assume... all I am saying...
__________________
2012 Camaro ZL1 Car Name: Bruce
ZL1, LSA, MN6/MG9, DSX, RTQ, VR,
Current Status:
2030
1000 Initial Order 11/11/2011 Chevyland
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 11/11/2011 - PZSD7S
2000 Order accepted by GM: 12/14/2011
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 00/00/2011 - TPW 00/00/2011
3100 Sequenced: 00/00/2011
3300 Scheduled For Production:0/0/2012
3400 Broadcast: 0/0/2012
3800 Produced: 0/0/2012
4000 Available To Ship: 0/0/2012
4200 Shipped: 0/0/2012
5000 Delivered To The Dealer: 0/0/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer:0/0/2012
1BADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #29
Shurenuff

 
Shurenuff's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I think that GM knows that if the ZL1 is priced much more than ten percent higher than a "similarly equipped" GT500 or in the CTS-V range, most potential ZL1 buyers will choose to purchase other vehicles. The ZL1 needs to be priced in the range where its target demographic can and will purchase it.

Exactly. Everyone just needs to calm down and think logically. While the ZL1 won't start at $48k, it definitely won't start at $60+k. The CTS-V starts at about $63k.

I'll eat my words if it starts at $60+k.
__________________
Factory Badassery
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #30
OldJedi
Use the Force
 
OldJedi's Avatar
 
Drives: 1967 FI Corvette and CRT ZL1 #336
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Davie, Fl.
Posts: 3,098
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I think that GM knows that if the ZL1 is priced much more than ten percent higher than a "similarly equipped" GT500 or in the CTS-V range, most potential ZL1 buyers will choose to purchase other vehicles. The ZL1 needs to be priced in the range where its target demographic can and will purchase it.
I might be able to pull the extra money if it costs $75,000 but I am not sure that I would. They have a loaded Black Diamond CTS-V with 4500 miles on it for $62,000 at Carmax. I really want the ZL1 but I think $75,000 puts it into a totally different range for most of us. Justice Pete and Ligenfelter are putting together a L/28 Camaro and they will announcing pricing soon. At $75,000 there will be a lot of other alternatives to the ZL1.
__________________
Walk softly, carry a light saber and drive a ZL1!
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #31
OldJedi
Use the Force
 
OldJedi's Avatar
 
Drives: 1967 FI Corvette and CRT ZL1 #336
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Davie, Fl.
Posts: 3,098
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Took a ride in my friend's brand new CTS-V coupe and I tell you, look & feel wise, it's even better than M5 [that he traded in]. Might be a tad slower than ZL1, but it turns ahead every where.
I spent a week in a CTS Coupe and loved it. If Chevy over prices the ZL1 ($75,000), my going to a CTS-V will not be too hard a decision.
__________________
Walk softly, carry a light saber and drive a ZL1!
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #32
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I spent a week in a CTS Coupe and loved it. If Chevy over prices the ZL1 ($75,000), my going to a CTS-V will not be too hard a decision.
If the price even gets CLOSE to that amount, I'll be banned for what I'll be posting...
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #33
Inferno Orange 2SS-RS
US Army Retired
 
Inferno Orange 2SS-RS's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2SS-RS - A6 (L99)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 621
Very Nice, I know I will not be getting one, but can't wait to see them at the car shows when the wealthy people buy them.
__________________
SMKIN SS
2SS/RS L99, LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE Custom Tune, JRE Air Scoop, CAI Intake, VMAX CNC Throttle Body, Doug Thorley Catback Exhaust, RX Oil Catch Can, Racing Pedals, FR41 Wheels.

Inferno Orange 2SS-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #34
Inferno Orange 2SS-RS
US Army Retired
 
Inferno Orange 2SS-RS's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2SS-RS - A6 (L99)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
If the price even gets CLOSE to that amount, I'll be banned for what I'll be posting...
My guess is somewhere between $60k to $74k.
__________________
SMKIN SS
2SS/RS L99, LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE Custom Tune, JRE Air Scoop, CAI Intake, VMAX CNC Throttle Body, Doug Thorley Catback Exhaust, RX Oil Catch Can, Racing Pedals, FR41 Wheels.

Inferno Orange 2SS-RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #35
Rice Killer
Cooter
 
Rice Killer's Avatar
 
Drives: my wife crazy
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SW WI
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I might be able to pull the extra money if it costs $75,000 but I am not sure that I would. They have a loaded Black Diamond CTS-V with 4500 miles on it for $62,000 at Carmax. I really want the ZL1 but I think $75,000 puts it into a totally different range for most of us. Justice Pete and Ligenfelter are putting together a L/28 Camaro and they will announcing pricing soon. At $75,000 there will be a lot of other alternatives to the ZL1.
Don't know where you live but my wife wanted to get a CTS-V instead of the ZL1 and she found a CTS-V coupe on auto trader in black diamond with 9xx miles for $54,995 in Texas. I called her a liar and had crow for supper haha.

This was a week or so ago.
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #36
GoldenBear
Bear Backer
 
GoldenBear's Avatar
 
Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
I respectfully disagree. I think GM has already done it's homework and knows how many of these cars they can sell on an annual basis based on brand-loyalty alone. Let's face it, even if the updated GT500 outperforms the ZL1, there are still a ton of people who would never buy one based simply on the fact that it is produced by Ford. IMO, GM is counting on those people to buy this car, not your average unbiased consumer. And if the price is too high for "a Camaro", they will likely lean to staying in the GM family and go for a Corvette (performance) or CTS-V (luxury/performance).
It would be interesting to see GM's actual marketing information and surveys with respect to the ZL1. I think that GM is trying to expand its customer base with the ZL1 and is not just relying on current Chevy loyalists to purchase the ZL1.

I'm not so sure there are a large number of potential ZL1 customers that GM can count on based solely on brand loyalty, especially at likely ZL1 prices. I think there is a relatively limited market for a Camaro with an MSRP over $50K, and with each $1K price increment over $50K, the pool of potential Camaro buyers shrinks. I think that there are many potential ZL1 buyers who are Chevy loyalists who will be stretching to make the purchase with a price in the the low to mid $50K's, and if it's priced much beyond that, those buyers will be forced to purchase a different vehicle.

There are the potential ZL1 buyers who can afford the vehicle at whatever price, but are wiling to (or who have a boss that will let them) pay only so much for a Camaro (remember the difficulty there was in selling the 9560 COPOs). Of those buyers, those who want a 2+2 vehicle will not purchase a Corvette. Some may purchase a CTS-V, but some will likely purchase a GT500, and I think that many will opt for a Porsche, BMW, or Mercedes.

There are some Chevy enthusiasts who won't buy a Ford, and vice-versa, but I think those individuals make up a very small percentage of the automobile buying public. One may tend to get a skewed view of those loyalist percentages if one tends to frequent enthusiast sites.
__________________
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #37
kudzu74
Account Suspended
 
Drives: SS 08' Trailblazer
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 251
You all need to stop the hype your gonna scare the common man! I think what he meant is there is not other current production car under 75k that has this kind of power and performance for the price. The price will still be a lot less than a CTS-V8. I would say it still has to be below the 55k mark...if not well they just lost a customer who will now sit and wait on a new platform with a Z28 badge and if that does not happen then o well it will be time to supercharge my current ride for 5k.
kudzu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #38
Sid Irons
loven it
 
Sid Irons's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: hamilton Ont.
Posts: 5
Still love my SS but the ZL1 is a monster
Sid Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #39
OldJedi
Use the Force
 
OldJedi's Avatar
 
Drives: 1967 FI Corvette and CRT ZL1 #336
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Davie, Fl.
Posts: 3,098
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Killer View Post
Don't know where you live but my wife wanted to get a CTS-V instead of the ZL1 and she found a CTS-V coupe on auto trader in black diamond with 9xx miles for $54,995 in Texas. I called her a liar and had crow for supper haha.

This was a week or so ago.
Did it have the yellow brake calipers? IF so, that is a really good deal. The one here is a 2011 fully loaded with Recaros and bigger sunroof and Nav. I went back and checked again. I was wrong, it is $60,995.
__________________
Walk softly, carry a light saber and drive a ZL1!
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #40
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Killer View Post
Don't know where you live but my wife wanted to get a CTS-V instead of the ZL1 and she found a CTS-V coupe on auto trader in black diamond with 9xx miles for $54,995 in Texas. I called her a liar and had crow for supper haha.

This was a week or so ago.
That'll probably be the route I have to go if we're talking that kind of money. I was really hoping for a different senario, but it is what it is. That price doesn't sound bad at all for that 'V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
It would be interesting to see GM's actual marketing information and surveys with respect to the ZL1. I think that GM is trying to expand its customer base with the ZL1 and is not just relying on current Chevy loyalists to purchase the ZL1.

I'm not so sure there are a large number of potential ZL1 customers that GM can count on based solely on brand loyalty, especially at likely ZL1 prices. I think there is a relatively limited market for a Camaro with an MSRP over $50K, and with each $1K price increment over $50K, the pool of potential Camaro buyers shrinks. I think that there are many potential ZL1 buyers who are Chevy loyalists who will be stretching to make the purchase with a price in the the low to mid $50K's, and if it's priced much beyond that, those buyers will be forced to purchase a different vehicle.

There are the potential ZL1 buyers who can afford the vehicle at whatever price, but are wiling to (or who have a boss that will let them) pay only so much for a Camaro (remember the difficulty there was in selling the 9560 COPOs). Of those buyers, those who want a 2+2 vehicle will not purchase a Corvette. Some may purchase a CTS-V, but some will likely purchase a GT500, and I think that many will opt for a Porsche, BMW, or Mercedes.

There are some Chevy enthusiasts who won't buy a Ford, and vice-versa, but I think those individuals make up a very small percentage of the automobile buying public. One may tend to get a skewed view of those loyalist percentages if one tends to frequent enthusiast sites.
I'd like to see how their brains are ticking. I'm just not seeing what it seems like they might be seeing. I don't have a real pulse on the market, but I wonder how many buyer would laugh at the thought of a +$60K CAMARO...
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #41
TJ91
:chevy:
 
TJ91's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,507
why the hell do they keep showing two different cars?! The dash is clearly different
__________________
CAMARO
Consult your doctor before taking Camaro
Side effects include Sudden increase in Heart Rate, Insomnia and occasional hallucinations
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #42
Rice Killer
Cooter
 
Rice Killer's Avatar
 
Drives: my wife crazy
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SW WI
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Did it have the yellow brake calipers? IF so, that is a really good deal. The one here is a 2011 fully loaded with Recaros and bigger sunroof and Nav. I went back and checked again. I was wrong, it is $60,995.
Yeah it had the black diamond package with black wheels, yellow calipers, and recaro seats. It was funny, I had told her if she could find one under $55k I'd buy that instead. Luckily she didn't make me hold true to it. Not to mention, I'm from WI and that was in Texas, although if in the market for one, it would have been worth the trip.

I just did a search for it and it's understandably gone but found a thunder gray Chromaflair with 514 miles for $56999. It's no black diamond but still nice. Here's the link: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #43
fiascoes1
SoCalRaceTeam new-b!
 
fiascoes1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1/WHITE/BLACK STRIPE
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: norwalk ca
Posts: 2,011
That means the zl1 will do 0-60 in less than 3.9 seconds, he said the fastest car under 75k. The gs coupe is 55k and does 0-60 in 3.9.
fiascoes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #44
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Sahara
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,562
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascoes1 View Post
That means the zl1 will do 0-60 in less than 3.9 seconds, he said the fastest car under 75k. The gs coupe is 55k and does 0-60 in 3.9.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #45
68vert
 
68vert's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 729
Actually Jay first says "Under 100" then quickly says "Under 75". It was just a number he quickly pulled out of the air. Geez, calm down people. GM will price it against its competition.
__________________
2010 SIM SS/RS see garage for mods
68vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #46
jose1003

 
jose1003's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Cyber Gray
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: El Paso, Texas
Posts: 996
nice leno
__________________
jose1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #47
LAWMAN

 
LAWMAN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 cam.2ss/rs.iom,07'escalade esv
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pasc.Ms.
Posts: 781
i still say around $49 base and up to $58,
__________________
A9120159
1100:12/19/08
3800:06/19/09
6000:07/02/09
LAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #48
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Yes, me too. But if it is that high, then I will buy the CTS-V instead.
Jedi, you are on target with this one. For mid 60's you can have a CTS-V, and for under $75 you can get it loaded. No need to talk about the pampering the CTS-V would provide. Have you seen the drivers "seat extensions" that are available on it? They make the seat under your thigh extend further out to support your legs on those long trips! A nice touch.
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #49
bumblebabe
SoCal Race Team #10
 
bumblebabe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 CTH 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA
Posts: 630
i'm MADLY in love with my SS... And I honestly would have waited for the ZL1 if I had any idea on pricing, and if I'd been able to get a similar TF3 package on it. The ZL1 in a TF3 woulda been a dream come true - but even without the package, I imagine the ZL1 pricing is gonna be way higher and doing aftermarket appearance mods would have just hiked the price up more. I am stoked that my interior is pretty identical to teh ZL1 layout

But every time I see pictures and read threads I think, DAMN shoulda waited!!! lol
__________________
"You wanna lay the fate of the world on the kid's Camaro? That's cool."
2012 CTH 2SS/RS

Current mods: CAI intake, catback exhaust upgrade
Future mods: too many to list

Tundra CrewMax SR5, TRD, 5.7L V8, 2" Lift, 381 HP; 401 ft lb
bumblebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #50
bumblebabe
SoCal Race Team #10
 
bumblebabe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 CTH 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oak Park, CA
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWMAN View Post
i still say around $49 base and up to $58,

I have a feeling the base is gonna be pretty close to 50. My 2SS was a little over 40 around invoice fully loaded and with the CTH (which included the RS package in the pricing). I would imagine there'll be a decent gap between a base ZL1 and a fully loaded 2SS to get the demographic that is really looking for that higher performance.
__________________
"You wanna lay the fate of the world on the kid's Camaro? That's cool."
2012 CTH 2SS/RS

Current mods: CAI intake, catback exhaust upgrade
Future mods: too many to list

Tundra CrewMax SR5, TRD, 5.7L V8, 2" Lift, 381 HP; 401 ft lb
bumblebabe is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
2012 camaro zl1, 2013 camaro zl1, camaro zl1, camaro zl1 forum, camaro zl1 forums, camaro zl1 video, camaro zl1 videos, carbon flash metallic zl1, cfm zl1, chevy camaro zl1, chevy camaro zl1 forum, chevy camaro zl1 forums, chevy camaro zl1 video, chevy camaro zl1 videos, jay leno zl1, jay leno zl1 video, zl1 forum, zl1 forums, zl1 video, zl1 videos

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pedders Suspension Benchmark Track Testing and New Jersey Track Day Info@PeddersUSA.com USA - NY / NJ / PA 35 10-26-2009 05:20 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.