Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
FNKNSTN
Banned
 
Drives: A Black Car
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 818
Auto-Trans Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post
Why is the price of the 2LT/2SS auto transmission higher than the 1LT/1SS?

Did they put a $200 shifter on the 2SS?

Would I notice a difference in the transmission/shifter if I drove and compared the 1SS to the 2SS?

(this is the auto-trans on the L99)
What's the deal?
Attached Images
  
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Vash


 
Drives: 00 Blazer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,128
It's the tapshift.

It's on the high end SS and the higher end LT V6.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
FNKNSTN
Banned
 
Drives: A Black Car
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
It's the tapshift.

It's on the high end SS and the higher end LT V6.
So the 1SS in the picture doesn't have tapshift?
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Camaro509

 
Camaro509's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,087
I think it also may have been beefed up to handle the higher horses in the V8 trims as well, hence the extra cost.

Edit: apparently I can't spell the word 'horses'.
__________________
Understeer, Oversteer, Wheel Alignment (Camber etc), Torque, Horsepower, Camaro

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Ject
aka Patrick
 
Ject's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Derby Kansas
Posts: 3,096
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
you are both missing the bullet, his photos show an Auto Tranny for the 1SS and the 2SS.... but yet the 2SS costs more then the 1SS... according to his photo.

Why this is? I dunno.. they are exactly the same tranny ... same engine... maybe its just an error?
__________________
Current Modifications: Your average Bolt-ons & Suspension Upgrades
GForce Engineering: 9" Rear End, Strange Pro Iron Case w/Moser Nodular 3.70:1 Detroit locker, 3.5" Solid Drive Shaft
Ject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 2,690
They all get the tap shift. I ordered a 2SS and I only paid $995. Maybe the cost is changing for some reason? Tomorrow GM is supposed to announce price increases. I'm curious to know too.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
FNKNSTN
Banned
 
Drives: A Black Car
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 818
Yeah dude, I was quoted the $995 price when I ordered my 2SS with auto-trans. I could understand if there was a price difference between V6 and V8, but what's the deal with the difference between 1SS/2SS and the difference between 1LT/2LT?
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
FNKNSTN
Banned
 
Drives: A Black Car
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post
Yeah dude, I was quoted the $995 price when I ordered my 2SS with auto-trans. I could understand if there was a price difference between V6 and V8, but what's the deal with the difference between 1SS/2SS and the difference between 1LT/2LT?
The Chevy "build your own" section has been like this since it was put up. This isn't a recent change. I actually posted this question in another section but didn't get many hits on it.
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #9
jam466
Soon to have 2010 CAMARO
 
jam466's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CAMARO 6/15
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fort Myers Florida
Posts: 4
Hello everyone this is my first post been on here for a while just reading and now sharing some info that I also have asked ?'s too, and the price difference is because of the remote start on the 2SS and 2lt
jam466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
GM'r_For_Life
9A108207
 
GM'r_For_Life's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 S10
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 200
The 2LT and the 2SS trany is more because they include remote start.
GM'r_For_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
Vash


 
Drives: 00 Blazer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,128
Ah cool.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
GM'r_For_Life
9A108207
 
GM'r_For_Life's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 S10
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 200
Jam you just beat me to it
GM'r_For_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #13
Rodrunner
Senior Member
 
Rodrunner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: So. Maryland
Posts: 2,333
No, sorry, Vash, all auto trans have the tap shift. I see what you mean, FNKNSTN. I was under the impression only the SS trim lines, both 1SS and 2SS, were being increased from $995 to $1,185, but possibly it's an increase across the board.

EDIT: Yes, it must be the remote start making the 2LT and 2SS more.
__________________
2SS/RS - Black/Black - CGM Rally Stripes - Auto - VIN 10171
Rodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #14
GM'r_For_Life
9A108207
 
GM'r_For_Life's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 S10
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 200
Transmissions:
MXO Transmission, Automatic 6 Speed $995.00
MXO Transmission, Automatic 6 Speed &2LT or 2SS $1,185.00

Extra cost is for Remote start.
You can not get remote start on a 1SS
You can get remote start on a 1LT if you choose the Convenience and Connectivity Package (SRJ)
GM'r_For_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #15
FNKNSTN
Banned
 
Drives: A Black Car
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM'r_For_Life View Post
Transmissions:
MXO Transmission, Automatic 6 Speed $995.00
MXO Transmission, Automatic 6 Speed &2LT or 2SS $1,185.00

Extra cost is for Remote start.
You can not get remote start on a 1SS
You can get remote start on a 1LT if you choose the Convenience and Connectivity Package (SRJ)
Maybe I'm just clueless... but what does starting a car and letting it idle while it's already in "Park" before you get into it have to do with the Transmission?
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:41 AM   #16
FNKNSTN
Banned
 
Drives: A Black Car
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 818
If the Convenience and Connectivity Package is a standard option once you upgrade to the 2SS, then why would it be tacked onto the price of the transmission?
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:57 AM   #17
Grape Ape
 
Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PNW
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post
If the Convenience and Connectivity Package is a standard option once you upgrade to the 2SS, then why would it be tacked onto the price of the transmission?
Think of it as a $200 discount for the 2SS & 2LT stick shift buyers who don't get the whole Convenience and Connectivity Package (no remote start).
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:07 AM   #18
Grape Ape
 
Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PNW
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post
Maybe I'm just clueless... but what does starting a car and letting it idle while it's already in "Park" before you get into it have to do with the Transmission?
No automaker will offer remote start with a stick shift because sooner or later someone is going to hit the start button while the car is in gear and kill or maim someone. And I bet there is a law (or five) against it.

I imagine that in the 2040s some of these cars might be old and busted enough that the keys can be removed in park and started in drive. But I also know that autos creep pretty slowly on the starter motor and I bet the ECM is programed to kill the starter and slam on the brakes if it starts to move while being remote started.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:55 AM   #19
FNKNSTN
Banned
 
Drives: A Black Car
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
No automaker will offer remote start with a stick shift because sooner or later someone is going to hit the start button while the car is in gear and kill or maim someone. And I bet there is a law (or five) against it.

I imagine that in the 2040s some of these cars might be old and busted enough that the keys can be removed in park and started in drive. But I also know that autos creep pretty slowly on the starter motor and I bet the ECM is programed to kill the starter and slam on the brakes if it starts to move while being remote started.
Ahhhhhhh dude, you're right.

Now that I think about it... that's wiggity wiggity wiggity whack!!
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Consensus Feb 6th Plus lots of other key dates UCF w00t 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 16 01-22-2009 11:39 PM
Camaro does the Nurburgring test track in 8:20 2sharp 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 45 07-23-2008 03:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.