Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #197
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Ya baby!

...and, as I have been known to say, "stay tuned"...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #198
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,306
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo9043 View Post
You really think the 6th gen will come out that soon? I don't think we will see a 6th gen till 2018ish.

Look at the 4th gen. 93-2002. 9 years with a big revamp half way through. I can definitely see GM doing the same thing.
The days of GM letting cars languish on for years and years are pretty much gone. Most of their recent vehicles are getting replaced on about a 5 year life cycle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
The 5th is selling extremely well, why would GM risk changing things before they have to?
Because the continued use of old platforms for cars that are barely competitive was one of the major causes of GM decline throughout the 80's and 90's. In a few years time the Camaro will be up against the next generation Mustang, as well as the new Genesis Coupe, the Subaru BRZ, and the Scion FR-S. When you're behind the competition, you either have to accept a lower sales volume or pay people to buy your car with heavy incentives.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:18 AM   #199
Arachnyd
Master of all trades
 
Arachnyd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2many2count
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: West Chester, OH (near cincy)
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The days of GM letting cars languish on for years and years are pretty much gone. Most of their recent vehicles are getting replaced on about a 5 year life cycle.
Not to mention, don't forget the cafe standards of 2016!
__________________
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #200
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5
 
CamaroC-17's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,647
Why does it really matter? GM could have easily slapped on the Z28 badge instead of ZL1. In all reality if they would have released a Z28 it would have been the same Zl1 we are getting now.
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #201
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Z06, GS or ZL1?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,826
It's only that each of those cars were brought to life to be something different special. So if tradition means anything in a name...
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #202
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
It's only that each of those cars were brought to life to be something different special. So if tradition means anything in a name...
Agreed. ZL1 and Z28 will have different target audiences, objectives and price ranges. ZL1 is a special tribute to Chevy's past history and modern technology where not many will be produced. Truely the Camaro for the modern ages. It will do everything an automotive performance enthusiast wants extremely well, with comfort, convienence and style. Pricing will reflect that, and to that end it will be limited in numbers. Z28 will fill the gap between SS and The Big Bad Brother Z. It will carry some of the design improvements and enhanced technology developed from the ZL1 program. It will be more focused for cornering and handling, hopefully with a N/A engine. Pricing will be more suitable for mainstream consumption, therefore it will be more widely produced without the designed in collectability factor as in the ZL1. All opinions here, but all presented as summary to most of what has been widely discussed on C5 for some time. An over the top tribute to racing history and modern mechanical genious named Z28 would not bode well, especially for the MSRP this will come in at. On the other hand, a piece of collectible living history, intended to be kept within a tight bloodline and finite reproduction level with a higher end MSRP named ZL1.....yes...they, and we, will jump throught hoops to get this rare bird. Z28 is our old friend from the past, meant to be taken seriously as Fbodfather said, and not have it's name taken in vein. It will come back soon, as it rightfully should, above the SS platform. And produced without limitation in mind. But The Beast is appropriately named in my opinion, and only a Beast should sport a Mohawk...not a Z28. Chevy has their eye on the rock and 'aint gonna miss...
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #203
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Agreed. ZL1 and Z28 will have different target audiences, objectives and price ranges. ZL1 is a special tribute to Chevy's past history and modern technology where not many will be produced. Truely the Camaro for the modern ages. It will do everything an automotive performance enthusiast wants extremely well, with comfort, convienence and style. Pricing will reflect that, and to that end it will be limited in numbers. Z28 will fill the gap between SS and The Big Bad Brother Z. It will carry some of the design improvements and enhanced technology developed from the ZL1 program. It will be more focused for cornering and handling, hopefully with a N/A engine. Pricing will be more suitable for mainstream consumption, therefore it will be more widely produced without the designed in collectability factor as in the ZL1. All opinions here, but all presented as summary to most of what has been widely discussed on C5 for some time. An over the top tribute to racing history and modern mechanical genious named Z28 would not bode well, especially for the MSRP this will come in at. On the other hand, a piece of collectible living history, intended to be kept within a tight bloodline and finite reproduction level with a higher end MSRP named ZL1.....yes...they, and we, will jump throught hoops to get this rare bird. Z28 is our old friend from the past, meant to be taken seriously as Fbodfather said, and not have it's name taken in vein. It will come back soon, as it rightfully should, above the SS platform. And produced without limitation in mind. But The Beast is appropriately named in my opinion, and only a Beast should sport a Mohawk...not a Z28. Chevy has their eye on the rock and 'aint gonna miss...
Damn Pops! That was really good!
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #204
9sk
 
Drives: 611 HP. 600 TQ
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: OC
Posts: 8
Personally, I am glad GM is not abusing the Z28 nameplate. Making the Camaros answer to the GT so many years was just wrong.

I was expecting GM to do that again, but glad they made the SS the standard V8 performer, while the ZL1 is the legendary answer to Ford's "legend" car.

And the Z28 is special. A racecar. THAT should be the answer to the Boss 302.

Right now, GM has a competitor in the base car, the SS/GT, the ZL1/GT500, but zero competition vs the Boss 302. I have a feeling that is where the Z28 will come in. Maybe not until 2013, but it will be there. I imagine they are staggering new car intros to give each the attention they deserve. Just like the ZL1 upped the ante, the Z28 will set the bar higher as well.
9sk is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2002 Z28 dtm4192 Member Car Journals 40 06-13-2012 08:41 AM
SS vs Z. Why?? Not another Z28 Thread!! Just curious. TRIXXTERR General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 29 01-21-2011 09:27 AM
I specially ordered a Z28! (unlike all of you) 496BIGBLOCK Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 70 01-02-2011 01:44 PM
Bob Lutz interview radz28 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 113 08-28-2008 01:30 PM
Z28 - Please try and understand..... GTAHVIT Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 73 07-24-2008 12:30 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.