Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Old 10-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #26
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
While only a concept, it borrows production components from both the Camaro SS and forthcoming Camaro ZL1 to deliver a competition-ready package.
Verbage sounds hauntingly familiar to another thread discussed here about the 26th letter of the alphabet with the numbers 2 and 8, doesn't it Lowdown?
Old 10-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #27
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
That would be cool. Or to see the SSX hit the showroom...... or both
Old 10-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #28
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
For the same reasons that the SSX and the 'track pack' are there
But according to the listing above the 1LE's built were Z28's first with a 1LE option added. In other words the 1LE's were Z28's+. Also wasn't the ZL1 information (before known to be a ZL1) in the Z28 threads not general?
2cnd chance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #29
LOWDOWN
Account Suspended

Drives: Daily
2cnd, don't get too hung up on, or put too-too much em-PHA-sis on the wrong sy-LAB-le, in all this rhetoric. The lead-in for the 1LE states, and I quote, “The Camaro 1LE concept is all about the track,” said Al Oppenheiser, chief engineer for the Camaro. “It’s an all-out race car package that pays tribute to that special option from the past.”

What they have on display is NOT the SSX, which is the closest they've got to "all-out race car package" (MR-excluded) that you'll NEVER buy off a Chevy showroom floor.

Is there a case for the 1LE? Likely.

Is it, fully, a "Z/28"? Not quite, in MY mind...

...but it's pretty damned close...just a little more "boil" in the boiler room, pleaZe!

Those 3 magic alpha-numerics, in my sig, would do jus' fine!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #30
Blitz

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Sedan
Just get a 1LE, slap some Z/28 badges on it and call it day.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #31
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Just get a 1LE, slap some Z/28 badges on it and call it day.
Epic Fail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #32
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

If they don't build a 5th Gen Z28 and do build a 1LE I may buy one and add an LS7 and badge it a Z28 myself!!!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #33
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I hope I don't strike any nerves....

But I'm sincerely wondering why some of us are restricting all Camaro history to the first generation cars when discussing the "should's and shouldn'ts of a Z28?

It is 2011, guys...Why couldn't the Z28 represent a modern take on its lineage through the 1LE package as-is....

*donning flame suit*
Old 11-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #34
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

The 5th Gen is a reinterpretation of the 1st, hence the comparisons. Also the 2cnd Gen was the beginning of the theory that stickers make it faster.

Mainly why settle GM obviously doesn't.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #35
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
The 5th Gen is a reinterpretation of the 1st.
Only in design...and even there it borrowed from all generations...that's why I've always been confused why some (not necessarily anyone here) Camaro enthusiasts believe the first gens were the only "real Camaros" Seems mistaken to pigeon-hole the 5th gen like that, to me...
Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #36
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

But I'm sincerely wondering why some of us are restricting all Camaro history to the first generation cars when discussing the "should's and shouldn'ts of a Z28?

It is 2011, guys...Why couldn't the Z28 represent a modern take on its lineage through the 1LE package as-is....

*donning flame suit*
If the 1LE were renamed the Z28, or if we found out that they'll be offering it as an option package on the SS I think I'd be satisfied. But I'd be ecstatic if they came out with a Z28 with a good conventional suspension, a few ZL1 bits like brakes & tires, and an engine making power between the SS and the ZL1.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #37
wildpaws

Quote:

*donning flame suit*
I just don't think the 1LE "as is" is quite a complete enough package to be this generations representative for a Z/28. The 1LE is a nice package but I think it needs more engine to be exactly right. And that's based on my honest feelings, not on other generations of the Camaro.
Clyde
Old 11-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #38
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
If the 1LE were renamed the Z28, or if we found out that they'll be offering it as an option package on the SS I think I'd be satisfied. But I'd be ecstatic if they came out with a Z28 with a good conventional suspension, a few ZL1 bits like brakes & tires, and an engine making power between the SS and the ZL1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
I just don't think the 1LE "as is" is quite a complete enough package to be this generations representative for a Z/28. The 1LE is a nice package but I think it needs more engine to be exactly right. And that's based on my honest feelings, not on other generations of the Camaro.
Clyde
These were the kinds of answers I was hoping to get. I read a lot of "The original Z/28 was this...." or "The intent of the first Z/28 was this...." And I'm thinking....that's all well and good, but...what about the other 20+ years of Z28? And what does today's buyer want versus the late 60s?

I think sometimes we get lost in the past when working with these nostalgic names. Thank heavens the people who pulled the Camaro together in 2006 were who they are...What a wonderful job they did making a car for 2010 that remembers where it came from.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #39
Gramps69Z
Still waiting on the Z

Drives: 69 Z/28, 06 Denali, 09 CTS
Send a message via AIM to Gramps69Z Send a message via Yahoo to Gramps69Z
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Clyde

I have a first gen. and would love to have an early second gen.

A friend at the fire department has a 1985 IROC he's wanting to sell. If I had the room and didn't love my wife I would buy the IROC.

A fifth gen. Z/28 is just to easy of a built for G.M. and hopefully we'll have one soon.
2009 Cadillac CTS

The Six Old Guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
The last thing we want is to ship something that isn't right.
Gramps69Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #40
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

I believe it's been covered many times in these threads.

Simply put I'm looking for a 1LE with more power. 475 plus would be fine.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #41
LOWDOWN
Account Suspended

Drives: Daily
I have been a "banner carrier" for a "proper" (MY definition!) ZEE since forever...and my personal reasoning for a "conventional suspension" (or, as I called it, "enhanced FE4") was the co$t$ saved could then be used to upgrade the LS3 to "heavy artillery" status: LS7. So...

1) I see "room at the inn" for BOTH an SS-1LE AND a Z/28...just like you have two price points for the so-called BOSS...which suddenly must be quivering just a lil bit at the possibility of going back to an hourly rate!

2) MRC vs. Enhanced FE4: I'd say the jury has spoken...and the Team is certainly the final jury. Last year we had the SSX to think about and react to; this year we have the 1LE to munch on. 1LE is certainly more likely, and more quickly, to be Oshawa-buildable...and more saleable and in greater volumes...than the back-seatless SSX.

However, there IS, from a purist and budgetary point of view, something quite compelling (at least for me) about the SSX's "racy" suspension... From a GMPP point of view, more folks would be likely to consider the cost and job of upgrading to an SSX-type suspension system, than would consider the complexity and probable co$t of an MRC refit...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #42
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Lowdown I as well still hope that an LS7 ends up in a Z28.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #43
wildpaws

Quote:
These were the kinds of answers I was hoping to get. I read a lot of "The original Z/28 was this...." or "The intent of the first Z/28 was this...." And I'm thinking....that's all well and good, but...what about the other 20+ years of Z28? And what does today's buyer want versus the late 60s?

I think sometimes we get lost in the past when working with these nostalgic names. Thank heavens the people who pulled the Camaro together in 2006 were who they are...What a wonderful job they did making a car for 2010 that remembers where it came from.
Well this particular buyer wants much the same thing I wanted when I bought a Z/28 in '69, I want a performance coupe with good straight line performance along with an excellent handling package/suspension that is a determined corner carver. I love twisty, curvy roads with short straights, I want a well balanced car that handles all areas well. I still think the ZL1 is an excellent car, just not what I'm looking for, a 1LE with an engine between the SS and the ZL1 (but not just 30/40 or so HP more than the SS, more like the 490-510HP range) would likely fill that niche for me.
Clyde
Old 11-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #44
oldfriend

Drives: 2010 SS BLK IO interior
ss

Quote:

I know very little about the 3rd gens. I know even less about the 2nd gens.
How much do you know about the 1st Generation ? Or should we assume that the answer will be even less , or nothing ? Not to worry , you are not alone in here !!!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #45
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
How much do you know about the 1st Generation ? Or should we assume that the answer will be even less , or nothing ? Not to worry , you are not alone in here !!!
I know more about 1st & 4th gens than 2nd or 3rd. But I probably know more about 5th gens than all others combined.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #46
Bond
Heritage Hanger

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, Black.
Quote:
I know more about 1st & 4th gens than 2nd or 3rd. But I probably know more about 5th gens than all others combined.
So tell us big guy.... what's that plan for the future?
Is it coming or not? And in what form?
Lay out how you see it.

Keeping The Spirit Alive!
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote