Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Thumbs up My Camaro Story, 2012 2SS 45th, "Black Widow"

If you're not ready for a long read, I advise you not look at this thread.

Current Status of the "Black Widow"

Favorite pic to date:

To begin, I'll give a little background on myself. I'm a college student from Madison, GA. I've been driving my dad's old truck (2005 Chevy Avalanche) since I got it when I turned 16 (with 130,000 miles on it). The first indications of needing to get rid of my truck were the violent vibrations felt at speeds exceeding 70mph on rough interstates. After a look from the shop, we were talking $2,000 or so for new shocks and tires. While it might surprise you, I was not the highschool kid with a 6in lift and 33inch mud tires. I left my truck stock, and put nothing but my own effort into maintaining it. No mods, just changing the oil and filter and keeping it up. So when the clock hit 175k, and the car asked for money, it was decided by my old man that the vehicle should go.

It's an exciting and nervous time when looking at a new vehicle. Thinking I was getting a used car, I wanted to spend my money wisely. As far as a budget goes, I was under the impression that I was going to sell my truck on the market and use the money to get myself a car I wanted. I started looking at mustangs in the late 90s and early 2000s. "Wait, did this kid just say mustang?!" Don't bring out the pitchforks yet; let me explain. I'm in the process of restoring a 1968 mustang coupe. I love classic cars. And let me tell you, I would have LOVED for my first restoration to have been a '68 camaro. But some of you out there might know that a good condition '68 camaro roller body is pretty hard to find for $1,500. Especially here in GA. So that's why I went with a mustang for my first restoration project. Cheap, easy, plenty of parts available. Also on the list was the fact that a 1994-2004 mustang fit with my budget (selling price of my truck). So it was natural for me to look at mustangs at first.

Then I told my old man I wanted a mustang. And let me tell you, that didn't fly to well with him. His first car was a brand new Pontiac GTO back in 1968. 400ci V8 with a 4 on the floor. He's bought GM cars since then. So the idea of a Ford shot right down the drain. In a text I mentioned to him the new mustang 5.0. His response was "If you want a Ford, I'll leave that up to you when you're own your own. If Papa Joe (his father) found out I was buying you a Ford, he'd roll over in his grave."

So the mustang was out, and I was just as lost as before. I turned to the 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO. I felt a bit of nostalgia thinking of a GTO being my first "muscle car" just as my dad had gotten when he was a teenager. But my dad still seemed reluctant. And I wondered all the time, what does he want me to get?

A week later or so he gives me a call. "What do you think of the new Camaros?" The question caught me off guard. I remembered seeing the concept camaros back before production started. My dad had taken me to new car shows where concepts and new production vehicles were introduced. I remember seeing the camaro at a show in Atlanta. It was an unmistakable vehicle. The years passed and I always did love the look of the 5th Generation Camaro. But there I was with the question ringing in my ears "What do you think of the new Camaros?" "Well dad, I didn't expect that, but I absolutely love them."

Was there really a chance of me getting a 2010 camaro? I didn't bother getting my hopes up. It seemed far fetched to me. But my dad revealed to me his plan. I have 3 older sisters, and each one of them received a car in highschool when they turned 16 (just as I did), and upon graduation they received a new or lightly used vehicle to take them further in life. Lets not say they had the same taste in vehicles as their choices were: 2002 Civic (new), 2004 Volvo (lightly used), and 2008 Honda Fit (new). But my dad knew I would appreciate a true driver's car. In his 60's, he's loved to see me spend his summers working late nights for his General Contracting company and seeing me come home and spend much of my free time restoring my '68 mustang. He decided to make me a deal.

My old man decided that I could have a new model camaro if I understood the fact that I wouldn't get another car when I graduated. I considered this, figuring if I got a low mileage used 2010 SS that I would enjoy it and keep it long after college. I agreed to the idea but then my old man broke out the requirements:

1. I maintain a 3.6 or higher GPA.
--Ok so I'm not the smartest of the bunch but my parents always assure me that if I actually put in the effort, I can succeed past my expectations. That advice and support has brought me far, and if it helped bring me to my new car, I was all in for it.

2. I work for my dad for the next 3 summers until college graduation.
--9:00-5:00 job right? Wrong. Since I was 15 I've worked as a General Contractor for my dad in Atlanta. Wake up at 5:30 AM, travel 70 miles west to ATL with my dad. Start work at 7:00AM. Finish at 6:00PM. Drive home and arrive at 7:30PM or later, depending on traffic. I bet this is similar to some of your jobs. But being a teenager, I was bound to complain. However, as the years pass I've grown accustomed to it and accepted it for what it is; a job. It's taught me real world experience and in this economy it seems like any job is a good one. So I'm willing to take on this part of the deal.

3. Be responsible with the car.
"F*ck up and these keys are mine." Don't worry, that's not what my old man said.... exactly. But it is what he said, just in a nicer way. If I remember correctly, the camaro SS has a top speed of 171.5mph, but is limited to 155mph. I will never in my life approach either of those speeds unless I am on a designated track. And no street racing for me. I don't need to drive around town revving it up like some douchebag who wants to race everyone he finds. This part of the deal I was ok with before it was even asked of me.

So the ground rules were set, and now we get to the part you've all been waiting for... What car did I end up going with? Well, from the start let me repeat myself in that a 2010 camaro SS was far fetched in my expectations. From the moment my father mentioned it, I couldn't help but ponder the feeling of a 2010 SS. I told my old man outright that I wouldn't drive an automatic. And that I'd be willing to pay the difference of an LT vs an SS. I could tell over the phone he liked my outlook. He asked me other questions like what interior? Leather or cloth? My truck was leather, so I couldn't go cloth. And color he asked? Well as you all know, a camaro looks good in any color. I preferred black, white, grey and IOM, but I told him whatever he got the best deal on. A few days later he called again, mentioning the 2SS vs SS packages. It seemed too good to be true; a 2010 2SS?! I told my father that I would be enthralled with either choice, and that it was honestly up to him.

About this time I joined the Camaro5 forum. I wanted to get a head start if I could, and began to scrounge the forums for information. What I found was a plethora of it, and I was wrapped up in the feeling of a good group of owners that I might one day be a part of.

Now comes the moment of truth. This past week on friday 11/11/11, I called my parents to tell them I was coming home. Since my truck was at home (being sold), I rode home with my roommate, a buddy of mine from highschool. I arrived back at my roommate's house where my parents picked me up. I was surprised to see them both picking me up as usually one or the other would pick me up and take me back to our house 15 minutes out of town. When we arrived home, my father asked me to go down to the barn (a 1/4 mile from our house) and let my dog out of his kennel. I stepped out of the car and was yet again surprised when my mother said "I'll walk with you". Figuring my mother was simply praising having her only son back for the weekend, I thought nothing of it. As we walked towards the barn, the light out front came on. I stopped in my tracks and my jaw dropped. In the dim light I could see a 5th Generation Camaro. My mother smiled as I began to say "you've gotta be kidding me".

From the distance of probably 150 feet, I could tell this camaro was exactly what I dreamed I would never have. I noticed a distinctive stripe on the hood. The stripe changed color halfway up the hood, and I could see the shape of a 45 on it. I couldn't believe my eyes as I stared at the beautiful piece of art. Even at a distance I could see the "45th" emblems on the side, and the red "SS" emblem in the grill. I walked closer and it hit me that I was actually going to be driving a 2012 45th Anniversary Edition 2SS Chevrolet Camaro. What a mouthful that was, such that I couldn't say it out loud without trembling. I couldn't keep the giant grin off my face as I gazed at the Camaro and a warm fuzzy feeling crawled all over me. I turned back to see my father, one who isn't very good at surprises, standing up at the house watching me. My mother took my arm and brought me closer to see the car. It was after I had spent 5 minutes meticulously scanning the incredible machine's exterior, and pointing out every feature to my mother, that my father finally came down to meet us. I could see his eyes were red but no tears. I've only see him cry once, and that was at his father's funeral. He handed me the keys and said "These are yours son. We love you."

So I'll leave it with that. I have no doubt in my mind that I'm one of the happiest people on earth. I couldn't appreciate more what my father and mother have done for me. They've taught me well and have assured me that they will always support me. I would be nothing without them.

Okay, I've dragged it out enough. I appreciate those who have listened/read my personal story. I apologize for the length. I don't have many pictures as I was only able to snap a few before I left back for school with my roommate Sunday morning. The Camaro needs a license plate and a certification sticker from my college's Housing Administration before I can park it here at school without getting a ticket. I wish I had taken more pictures, but I will be reunited with my beautiful Camaro when I return home this friday for Thanksgiving (and boy do I have a lot to be thankful for!). I'll be taking dozens of pictures with my father's Nikon D60 and I will upload them all as soon as possible.

For now, here are some iphone photos:

First time the lights ever lit up:

And after I moved it into the garage I got a better shot of the Halos, it was the first time I had seen them light up at night:

The beautiful stripe I noticed from a distance away. I love the design:

And the emblems on the side:

Pics of it outside after I drove my dad to Atlanta to get his truck from his office:

Also, my dad has had the Camaro since Monday. Lets just say he had a little fun with it. As evident by the mileage. And I'm totally fine with that.

And I hold these with great pride and appreciation:

Again, I apologize for the shortage of photos and their not too stellar quality. I will have many more up this coming weekend.
I encourage everyone to take from this thread what they choose. I'm not trying to show off or gloat, just telling my personal story as it stands. I look forward to spending time here on this forum and getting to know a few folks. I'm a proud Camaro owner and feel very fortunate to be one!!!

-Chip

Last edited by hightower; 07-01-2014 at 07:47 PM.
hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
KnuckleBuster
A Virginia Drifter

Drives: Pick-um-up
That is an excellent post and congratulations on the new car.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:34 AM   #3
Madness11
086YN

Drives: Black 2SS/RS Demon of Madness
That almost brought a tear to my eye when I read the part of you first seeing the car and your dad being on the porch and then walking down and saying something simple. My dad would have been the same way.

That is awesome for you man. Have fun with her. She's beautiful. Now I must ask you. What is your first mod going to be?
Madness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:04 AM   #5
1BADZL1
THE CAMARO KING

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 on order #PZSD7S
Congrats.. Do you always refer to your dad as ol man?
Does he know you do this?

Awesome car.. when you are wanting to read another long post ( i read yours lol)
check out where I have been. Something you might enjoy...
My camaro story... about a 68 camaro..
I have owned 9 of them. Here is the story..
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173491
I will know if you read it if you reply on the last post
Your car is awesome bro!
1000 Initial Order 11/11/2011 Chevyland
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 11/11/2011 - PZSD7S
2000 Order accepted by GM: 12/14/2011
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 00/00/2011 - TPW 00/00/2011
3100 Sequenced: 00/00/2011
3300 Scheduled For Production:0/0/2012
3400 Broadcast: 0/0/2012
3800 Produced: 0/0/2012
4000 Available To Ship: 0/0/2012
4200 Shipped: 0/0/2012
5000 Delivered To The Dealer: 0/0/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer:0/0/2012
1BADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:34 AM   #6
yzrider58
Aviation guru

Drives: 10 1SS, 12 Terrain, 90 K1500 Z-71
Cool story bro. Sounds like you and your dad could educate your sisters on vehicle choice as well!
Old 11-14-2011, 04:04 AM   #7
RIPws6

Drives: Black 2011 1SS
Beautiful Camaro, Beautiful story! Long may you ride, my friend.
RIPws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:17 AM   #8
Gigachip
Yea...

Drives: Depends on game
Send a message via AIM to Gigachip
Congrats! And nice ride
Old 11-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
Lgndryhr
Camaro for Life

Drives: Nothing.... :-(
Congrats man! Awesome story. You are a lucky guy and enjoy that car!

Side note: How are his DRLs on at the same time as the headlights?
Best run: not until after break-in

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Lgndryhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
insidethreat07

Drives: 2001 Camaro 3.8
Good read and awesome story. Glad you have a good head on your shoulders. Treat it good and it will return the favor.
Berger Panel, Cardinal Red Camaro Rear Insert, 10 Spoke SS Wheels, Bowtie Center Caps, BMR Shock Tower Brace, Air Silencer Delete, SLP Lid, K&N Air Filter, Whistler/BLS Headlights, Eaton Limited Slip, UMI Rear LCAs PHB & SFCs, Nitto 555s/Nitto 555R, Flowmaster Axle Back Exhaust, Pacesetter Mid-Tube Headers & Y-Pipe, 3'' Exhaust, SS Front & Rear Sway Bars, !EGR, !Cat, Poly Bump Stops, Custom Ash Tray Switches, SJM Line Lock Kit, SLP Fan Switch

insidethreat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Wow, I love my parents but surprises were never their thing, (besides a Nintendo64 when they came out), but this is the kind of stuff I will definitely do with my kids, I couldnt imagine a greater feeling than what you described man, even getting a 2010 v6 camaro would have excited you and he got you a brand freaking new decked out 45th SS.

Awesome
Old 11-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckleBuster View Post
That is an excellent post and congratulations on the new car.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness11 View Post
That almost brought a tear to my eye when I read the part of you first seeing the car and your dad being on the porch and then walking down and saying something simple. My dad would have been the same way.

That is awesome for you man. Have fun with her. She's beautiful. Now I must ask you. What is your first mod going to be?
I'm glad to hear it hit home for someone else. It wasn't easy writing that part.
I'm not sure about my first mod. When I was thinking I was getting a 2010 SS I had all sorts of mods planned. Now that I have the 45th, I feel like it's more of a collectors/special edition vehicle and that I shouldn't mess with it too much. I'd like to keep this Camaro for the rest of my life and restore it (if it needs it) many years from now when I get much older.
Mods I've considered are ones that are easily reversible:
-CAI (not sure which brand to go with)
-Window tint
-Tail light lens tint
Other ideas?
Maybe headers? I feel like that might be a bit much for now.

I also love the exhaust as is. I don't want to mess with it. It sounds great.

Oh and I won't be doing anything rim wise either I don't think. My old man got a 5 year road hazard warranty so I'd rather ride around on the rims knowing a $50 deductible will replace them if I need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
Congrats... great story!
Thanks! Nice mods there on your LT. How are you liking it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY68RS View Post
Congrats.. Do you always refer to your dad as ol man?
Does he know you do this?

Awesome car.. when you are wanting to read another long post ( i read yours lol)
check out where I have been. Something you might enjoy...
My camaro story... about a 68 camaro..
I have owned 9 of them. Here is the story..
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173491
I will know if you read it if you reply on the last post
Your car is awesome bro!
Haha yes he does. He always calls me his "best buddy". I wanted to get that as a vanity plate for the Camaro but it wouldn't fit and I couldn't find a good way to shorten it. :(

And I'll be more than happy to read about you're '68! I'm always excited to hear others' stories.
Thanks for reading mine as well. I know I probably dragged it out and got carried away, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzrider58 View Post
Cool story bro. Sounds like you and your dad could educate your sisters on vehicle choice as well!
Haha I think you're right there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPws6 View Post
Beautiful Camaro, Beautiful story! Long may you ride, my friend.
Thank you so much, I hope to be driving it for a very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigachip View Post
Congrats! And nice ride
Thanks, same to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
Congrats man! Awesome story. You are a lucky guy and enjoy that car!

Side note: How are his DRLs on at the same time as the headlights?
Thanks! I'll sure be enjoying it!
I'm pretty sure that's when I hit the lock button when it was dark outside and they both came on. I was all "ooooohhhhhh" and snapped a pic with my iphone, hahaha.
Wish I could run outside and confirm that for you, but I'm a good 200 miles from my lovely camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethreat07 View Post
Good read and awesome story. Glad you have a good head on your shoulders. Treat it good and it will return the favor.
Thanks! I'll be sure to do so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Wow, I love my parents but surprises were never their thing, (besides a Nintendo64 when they came out), but this is the kind of stuff I will definitely do with my kids, I couldnt imagine a greater feeling than what you described man, even getting a 2010 v6 camaro would have excited you and he got you a brand freaking new decked out 45th SS.

Awesome
It's quite a feeling and every time I get in the Camaro I'll remember why and how I got it. I'd like to do the same for mine, but that's a bit away I think, haha.
Beautiful '98 you have there by the way.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I appreciate the warm welcome!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
xVengeancex28

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
great story!, congrats and good luck with your new ride!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
colemanvoice
team chicklet camaro

Drives: MOTL3Y
Hey hightower,

I don't have time to read your whole story right now, but welcome and congrats. Since you're in the ATL area, I thought I would pass on ace5.org. ace5.org will take you to an Atlanta camaro5 club located on the camaro5 site. Your welcome to check us out and hang with us whenever you're availabe.

Have a good time at school, do well, and take care of that car.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
BlueDragonVT

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Congrats, brother, and welcome to the club. Now take care of that beast, and she will take care of you.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #16
Beck

Drives: Moped
Congratulations. That's a great car and a great story to go with it.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #17
Solocus

Drives: 87 Iroc 350, 2001 SS, 45th 2LT
Great Story and car!

Delivered 9-29-2011 exactly 45 years to the day from the
first 1967 Camaro showing up in dealer showrooms!
Solocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #18
bztoybox

Drives: 2011 2SS 6-speed
Great story and what an awesome car. I love hearing that parents are still raising great kids. I like the fact that you accepted all his requirements and didnt complain. A lot of kids these days think it is just our job as parents to buy them cars. Enjoy your car and good luck on the restore of the 68 Stang.
bztoybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #19
LarryCook

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
Congratulations.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #20
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by xVengeancex28 View Post
great story!, congrats and good luck with your new ride!
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemanvoice View Post
Hey hightower,

I don't have time to read your whole story right now, but welcome and congrats. Since you're in the ATL area, I thought I would pass on ace5.org. ace5.org will take you to an Atlanta camaro5 club located on the camaro5 site. Your welcome to check us out and hang with us whenever you're availabe.

Have a good time at school, do well, and take care of that car.

No problem at all, just read it if you get a chance. I joined the club and I'd be happy to meet up sometime. I look forward to it. Thanks for the reference and kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDragonVT View Post
Congrats, brother, and welcome to the club. Now take care of that beast, and she will take care of you.
Thanks for the welcome. It's a beast indeed, and I need to find her a name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck View Post
Congratulations. That's a great car and a great story to go with it.
Thank you, I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solocus View Post
Great Story and car!
Thanks! Nice 45th you have there as well! Cool delivery date too!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #21
jasonsk287

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT
Really enjoyed reading your story. Sounds like you're very responsible and you have loving parents. I just bought my 2012 so I know the excited feeling!! Beautiful car, take care of it!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #22
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bztoybox View Post
Great story and what an awesome car. I love hearing that parents are still raising great kids. I like the fact that you accepted all his requirements and didnt complain. A lot of kids these days think it is just our job as parents to buy them cars. Enjoy your car and good luck on the restore of the 68 Stang.
Thank you so much. And I would never complain with how I was raised, I am very fortunate. I went to a private school to get a good education and there were far too many kids who went to the same school who were, in short, spoiled brats. Almost all of them drove brand new BMWs or whatnot. I'm not gonna argue with that, but not many of them seemed to appreciate what they had. One girl 2 years younger than me has a "summer car" (BMW 3 series convertible) and a "winter car" (BMW SUV).

I never would've expected such a fine automobile to be mine. But I couldn't be happier. As for those requirements, I'm sure my dad will add even more as he sees fit. And no matter what they are, I'll be willing to accept them. I'm very fortunate to have what I have. And I hope to someday pass it on to my kids.

As for the '68, I'll probably start a thread on it pretty soon to showcase my progress. It's on a rotisserie right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryCook View Post
Congratulations.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsk287 View Post
Really enjoyed reading your story. Sounds like you're very responsible and you have loving parents. I just bought my 2012 so I know the excited feeling!! Beautiful car, take care of it!
Thank you for the kind words! Glad to hear you've got a new 2012 as well. Hope you enjoy it!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #23
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
[QUOTE] "These are yours son. We love you."[QUOTE]

Lost my POPS two years ago and not afraid to say your story brought a tear to my eye!
Don't take what your parents, espicially your "Old Man" has done for you. Take the time out of your day to remind him how "thankful you are" and for god sakes toss him the keys once in awhile!!
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #24
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SS2SS View Post
Quote:
"These are yours son. We love you."
Lost my POPS two years ago and not afraid to say your story brought a tear to my eye!
Don't take what your parents, espicially your "Old Man" has done for you. Take the time out of your day to remind him how "thankful you are" and for god sakes toss him the keys once in awhile!!
Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure you had a wonderful father.
I will never take what they've done for granted.

Like I said, he's been driving it one and off since monday last week, and I'm totally fine with it. They were actually going to surprise me when I came home over thanksgiving break (this coming friday). My dad was talking to me saturday night and asked me "Do you mind if I drive it while you're gone? I planned on taking your mother out on a date but when you came home we decided to wait and let you drive it. So I'd like to take her out on a date this week in the Camaro. Is that ok?"

I was surprised he even asked. I smiled and told him "Dad, you're welcome to drive the Camaro any time you wish. You may have gotten it for me, but you paid for it, it's your car. Anytime you want it you don't even need to ask, just take the keys!"

A little off topic but I've actually been hunting with my dad out near Cypress TX.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #25
crateish

Drives: 45th Anniversary 2LT/RS Coupe
Hey! That looks almost like mine, except they spelled 'RS' wrong on yours. You should take it back.

I kid... I kid...

Congrats!