Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #51
Vash


 
Drives: 00 Blazer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,128
I thought that was a CTF? I would be pissed and the car would be right back at the dealers service center till they came off.

Apologies to the original poster I was just joking when I said it was faked at a show.

I can NOT belive they would deliver a car like that. Not at least without telling the owner why they where on there.

Unacceptable.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #52
UCF w00t
Geek
 
UCF w00t's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
I thought that was a CTF? I would be pissed and the car would be right back at the dealers service center till they came off.

Apologies to the original poster I was just joking when I said it was faked at a show.

I can NOT belive they would deliver a car like that. Not at least without telling the owner why they where on there.

Unacceptable.
And did you miss the post where another owner said his car had them too? And my post where I noted that it looked like Rick's #1 had them as well? Sounds like they are there for a reason.... what reason is the question.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #53
Vash


 
Drives: 00 Blazer
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,128
I didn't see the other post. Requardless of the reason they of course can't stay on there and have to come off. One way or another.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #54
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
I didn't see the other post. Requardless of the reason they of course can't stay on there and have to come off. One way or another.


rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #55
camarorick

 
camarorick's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: .
Posts: 2,105
Well, I just got back from my dealer.... He has a " Media car " stored in his lot, and it has them too !? Very bizarre !!

Last edited by camarorick; 11-28-2010 at 02:37 PM.
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #56
camaro5


 
camaro5's Avatar
 
Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 4,430
I'm checking my Bimbos right now!
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #57
rex113
 
rex113's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2ss silver/cyb
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: nj
Posts: 202
Maybe this is how the Mole is marking his cars I remember someone asking him to leave some evidence behind.
rex113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #58
cam2fst4u


 
cam2fst4u's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: stanley va
Posts: 6,299
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
he said it was in the contract that they could not do that. so still waiting for someone in the know to answer it must be some reason.
__________________
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #59
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar
 
Chevyrocker's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day...
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 1,445
Subscribed...curious to see how this one turns out...
__________________
Shortcuts can slow you down...
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 PM   #60
romli
 
romli's Avatar
 
Drives: Holden G8 GT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 10
They're probably intended to be one of these:

romli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #61
Teleplayer
 
Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 268
If the weights have any real purpose, it is probably something to do with vibration.
Or else GM is looking for a way to dispose of a bunch of lead so they don't have to pay to get rid of it !!
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #62
KJS

 
KJS's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cut Throat, NY
Posts: 1,631
40+ years of working on my cars and plenty years of checking out other people's cars and NEVER saw or heard of something like this. Someone on the line with a "different" sense of humor?
Can't wait for the answer to this one....
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #63
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13
 
TLSTWIN's Avatar
 
Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vermilion, Ohio
Posts: 3,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
If the weights have any real purpose, it is probably something to do with vibration.
Or else GM is looking for a way to dispose of a bunch of lead so they don't have to pay to get rid of it !!
If this were a motorcycle I would agree, but hard to believe that GM has gone to such great attention to detail.....

Subscribed...
__________________
2SS/RS 400RWHP, Hurst Shifter, Vararam Tune model,SLP Loudmouth axle back, Pedders Camaro Pace Car Kit &, EP7323, PDUSACAM2800, EP1167, ZL1 Calipers, CTS-V rotors, ZL1 Wheels, GTO clutch resevoir, Pedders Camber plates.
Back Street Performance has done a great job with ALL my Performance & Suspension mods, highly recommend them (Rich@BSP) he's in my friends list.
TLSTWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #64
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM
 
Xmicro_SS's Avatar
 
Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 2,894
I bet the first run of cars are being held up....JUST TO PUT THESE ON! Now that makes some sense.
__________________
ITS HERE! : 2010 Camaro 2SS / 6 Speed Manual (No other way) / Silver Ice Metallic / Inferno Orange Interior Accent / RS Package / Polished Wheels / SOLO MACH X CAT BACK
Xmicro_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #65
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM
 
kdoske's Avatar
 
Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: louisiana
Posts: 950
Ug, its pretty obvious what they are for. I decided to illustrate it with the drawing below...


(if you need more detail just ask)
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #66
Teleplayer
 
Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 268
I have it from a good source that this is a special "abuse telltale" indicator which was required by Brembo.

Apparently early on when GM wanted to get Brembo to help with the design, there was some resistance because of the notorious way that Camaro drivers like to drive their cars - to the absolute limit. And Brembo did not want to be on the hook for warranty work in the case where the brakes were abused. So part of the deal was for GM to develop a system which would detect any excessive abuse of the braking system.

Now as we all know, GM is hanging by a thread, and well they sort of forgot about this agreement until the last minute. Rather than delay the release of the car and spend all sorts of $$ on development, they came up with this ingenious last-minute fix.

If a hard stop is made from any speed above 140 MPH, the lead weights will melt, thereby indicating abuse of the system.

I have also heard that production has slowed due to a shortage of wheel weights.
__________________

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #67
franknbeans
Whipped
 
franknbeans's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CAMARO
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pittsburgh-ish - PA
Posts: 4,096
what a crock of (*&*^. . . visually this looks horrible. . .
__________________
The "ManCard"

franknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #68
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM
 
kdoske's Avatar
 
Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: louisiana
Posts: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
I have it from a good source that this is a special "abuse telltale" indicator which was required by Brembo.

Apparently early on when GM wanted to get Brembo to help with the design, there was some resistance because of the notorious way that Camaro drivers like to drive their cars - to the absolute limit. And Brembo did not want to be on the hook for warranty work in the case where the brakes were abused. So part of the deal was for GM to develop a system which would detect any excessive abuse of the braking system.

Now as we all know, GM is hanging by a thread, and well they sort of forgot about this agreement until the last minute. Rather than delay the release of the car and spend all sorts of $$ on development, they came up with this ingenious last-minute fix.

If a hard stop is made from any speed above 140 MPH, the lead weights will melt, thereby indicating abuse of the system.

I have also heard that production has slowed due to a shortage of wheel weights.

This may be the best urban legend ever created. I'm not saying your wrong but lead melts at 621.43 °F. I really don't think stopping at 140MPH would create that type of heat. Even if it did get that hot there would be no need for the lead because all kinds of other stuff would be melted for sure...

For the real answer look at my post, its 3 up....
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #69
Teleplayer
 
Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 268
Actually 621 degrees F is nothing for brakes. A rotor can turn red hot with a hard stop, and for steel that is about 1500 deg. F at a color called "full cherry red". Don't EVER go up to a car and touch the rotor with your finger, because if the brake was recently used, you will leave the end of your fingertip on the rotor.

By the way, this is the reason the spare tire does not fit the SS model.
__________________

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #70
Douge
Eurotrash Connossieur
 
Drives: 1985 Mercedes 500SEL
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 188
The only legitmate reason I can come up with and was mentioned above, is brake noise. Adding a small amount of mass to the caliper could do wonders for unwanted brake noise. Its a total jackoff fix if that is in fact what it is for, but I can't think of anything else.

Its certainly not going to damage anything to remove them and if they were on my car I would have removed them already.
__________________
2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS, Imperial Blue/Gray Silver Rally Stripes
Douge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #71
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,747
I looked it up in the service manual and those are the brake shunts.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:35 PM   #72
UCF w00t
Geek
 
UCF w00t's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,456
So if I just knocked the weights off, that would void the break warranty?

It's so absurd I almost believe it.....

But I don't think the spare would fit over the brembos even without the weights. Also, if it was a last minute fix, it doesn't add up. The spare tire thing was decided long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I looked it up in the service manual and those are the brake shunts.
Am I supposed to know what a brake shunt is or did these just escape from the trunk?
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #73
oldsmobile
 
Drives: '98 Olds Aurora
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 17
Ok Teleplayer. If what you say is true how do they determine if the brakes were abused on other cars that do not have the lead weights?
oldsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #74
delius
David Hayter
 
delius's Avatar
 
Drives: F-body
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greensboro
Posts: 195
OMG...FINALLY...THE CHICK MAGNET HAS BEEN DISCOVERED
__________________


I want my camaro....NOOOOOOOOOOW!!! /turn yellow
delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #75
Rally Sport
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RJT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 34
the only thing i can think is some kind of mass damper for an NVH issue, however that would be a piss poor way to fix a problem on a production car.....
__________________



2LT RS CGM 6M on order
Rally Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question: Cars only driven by one wheel? JMROD General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 17 08-29-2010 04:04 PM
I need Camaros for an up coming event Jim Injun Ear USA - Southcentral 8 03-05-2010 05:07 PM
2SS Silver Ice Metallic at ATL Car SHow Cmurf_SS Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 40 11-09-2009 09:38 PM
Saw 2 Camaros today... Cyberfan 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 2 03-14-2009 06:43 PM
Current wheel & design,just an observation nitrokid Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack 5 07-25-2008 12:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.