Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
2ndCamaro79

 
Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 939
Den318; I see all of your points on the Zl1 and its performance. I thought the ZL1 was going to have crazy track and strip numbers(Most guys on here thought the 1/4 would be in the 11s and 0 to 60 better than CTS-V). After reading all the reviews it seems the ZL1 is mainly a track car. I know GM wants the Camaro to be a world class car in all areas, and it is. I guess I am old school and want to leave the track stuff to the Vett and the euro/asian cars. To me Challegers, Mustangs, Firebirds, and the Camaro are straight line cars. Again most people who want a race car buy the Vett or something from Europe or Japan. I love the Camaro I don't care if the interior is cheap or it weighs 10 tons, but I am a Fanboy always have been always will be. I just kinda wish GM would stop trying to turn beer into wine with the Camaro, and give me a Camaro that will kick the crap out of the mustang in a straight line!
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #19
EvilZL1
Snake Eater
 
EvilZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 2,442
Personally I favor the ZL1. Everyone likes the mustang, but at the end of the day most common people own a mustang. Its such a common car, GM chose to be different with the ZL1 and produce a rare car that Camaro lovers will cherish. Be different and get a ZL1 if you can, cause I am
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
camarofreak
 
camarofreak's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Silverado LT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 168
How is the ZL1 not a drag strip car it runs a 12, whats the difference between a 11.8 and a 12, 2 tenths of a second, when your driving it can you feel the difference?
camarofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:29 PM   #21
2ndCamaro79

 
Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 939
May not feel the difference, but you can watch the other guy go by you! Football is a game of inches, muscle cars are a game of seconds (tenths in this case).
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #22
camarofreak
 
camarofreak's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Silverado LT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
May not feel the difference, but you can watch the other guy go by you! Football is a game of inches, muscle cars are a game of seconds (tenths in this case).
That may be. But how many times will they do it consistently.
camarofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #23
2ndCamaro79

 
Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarofreak View Post
That may be. But how many times will they do it consistently.

Who knows??? All these magazines have different times and such. It would be nice if there was one standard place all cars went for official times.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #24
camarofreak
 
camarofreak's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Silverado LT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
Who knows??? All these magazines have different times and such. It would be nice if there was one standard place all cars went for official times.
Agreed.
camarofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #25
O2BQIK
 
Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dallas area
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown355 View Post
"During development, one ZL1 endured 600 clutch-dumping launches"

WOW!!
That's funny, my 2010 SS clutch was dead after one. If the actual production clutches can handle that kind of abuse, that would be a welcome change.
__________________
2010 Camaro SS in black/beige: Sold. | '91 Camaro RS: Still the dream car!
'98 Camaro SS: Incon twin turbo. Sold | '99 Camaro SS: Heads/cam/bolt-ons. Sold.
O2BQIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #26
evolve
 
evolve's Avatar
 
Drives: 03 Cobra
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cyber Space
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
May not feel the difference, but you can watch the other guy go by you! Football is a game of inches, muscle cars are a game of seconds (tenths in this case).
SIGWORTHY!!!
__________________
2003 Cobra (Stock Motor/Boost Only)
640rwhp/ 550rwtq on 93...
Well over 700rwhp on CORN
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #27
bluebox
 
bluebox's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 1SS LS3 IBM/SIM
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Delawhere
Posts: 198
FE4

Quote:
And for Camaro fans without the requisite $54,995 for a ZL1, that character trickles down to SS coupes for 2012 with the standard FE4 suspension, which revises the front and rear dampers and specs new antiroll bars to address the terminal-understeer issue that made the Camaro feel so unwilling when driven hard.
First time I've seen any mention anywhere of what the FE4 may do for the 2012. Good to see, as I'm days away from taking delivery... so I guess I'll see soon enough!
__________________

Now: Invo's on Nurburgs | Ext. Eng. catch can | heritage grille
Next: a few Pedders bits, tighten it up | better sways | drop coils, maybe | CAI, exhaust, JRE tune
Then I'm done, I swear.

.
.
bluebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #28
motorhead


 
motorhead's Avatar
 
Drives: Stormtrooper
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bartertown
Posts: 9,048
I don't believe the ZL1 was built with the quarter mile only in mind. It's a bad ass track car and with a set of slicks and someone that knows what to do it will also be a very good daily driver drag car. Like others have said if your buying the ZL1 to drag well then your doing massive overkill.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #29
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebox View Post
First time I've seen any mention anywhere of what the FE4 may do for the 2012. Good to see, as I'm days away from taking delivery... so I guess I'll see soon enough!
I've been trying to keep my eyes open for '12 reviews, too! Ultimately - if I were to get an SS instead, these changes wouldn't matter too much (because I'd go through all the bushings front to back and new sway bars, too), but it would be nice to get comparisons. I'm sure there's still going to be understeer for safety, but hopefully these are effective. There were many changes that we were told of with FE4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I don't believe the ZL1 was built with the quarter mile only in mind. It's a bad ass track car and with a set of slicks and someone that knows what to do it will also be a very good daily driver drag car. Like others have said if your buying the ZL1 to drag well then your doing massive overkill.
WORD. There are many SSs people here have mod'd to surpass ZL1 in nearly all respects. If you set the rear up good, I'm not sure ZL1 is right for strictly drag strip racing. There's so much more that's not being appreciated
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #30
Gen5
 
Gen5's Avatar
 
Drives: Z28 2002 Maroon/Silver 1SS 2010
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
Den318; I see all of your points on the Zl1 and its performance. I thought the ZL1 was going to have crazy track and strip numbers(Most guys on here thought the 1/4 would be in the 11s and 0 to 60 better than CTS-V). After reading all the reviews it seems the ZL1 is mainly a track car. I know GM wants the Camaro to be a world class car in all areas, and it is. I guess I am old school and want to leave the track stuff to the Vett and the euro/asian cars. To me Challegers, Mustangs, Firebirds, and the Camaro are straight line cars. Again most people who want a race car buy the Vett or something from Europe or Japan. I love the Camaro I don't care if the interior is cheap or it weighs 10 tons, but I am a Fanboy always have been always will be. I just kinda wish GM would stop trying to turn beer into wine with the Camaro, and give me a Camaro that will kick the crap out of the mustang in a straight line!
TRACK CAR not really. I thought GM was talking about losing weight, instead of adding pounds ?????????

Last edited by Gen5; 01-19-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Gen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #31
BigHemiSrt
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 07 Dodge Charger SRT8
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In Space
Posts: 614
WOW!!!......Highly disappointed times at the track I must say!! I was expecting atleast a 119mph trap speed and very close to an 11.99 considering 4 mags tested it. 12.3-12.6 is hardly anything to brag about. The current GT500 and this car will be a drivers race. The new GT500 wont be a race at all. To be honest this car isnt running much faster/quicker than the 392's, and theyre down 110hp and weigh more. I mean even bone stock 392's have ran 12.2 @ 115mph.

Edit: Just read MT got a 12.1 @ 119. Thats about what I expected. Does it amaze me? No. Is it an all around impressive car? Id have to say yes!
BigHemiSrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #32
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemiSrt View Post
WOW!!!......Highly disappointed times at the track I must say!! I was expecting atleast a 119mph trap speed and very close to an 11.99 considering 4 mags tested it. 12.3-12.6 is hardly anything to brag about. The current GT500 and this car will be a drivers race. The new GT500 wont be a race at all. To be honest this car isnt running much faster/quicker than the 392's, and theyre down 110hp and weigh more. I mean even bone stock 392's have ran 12.2 @ 115mph.

Edit: Just read MT got a 12.1 @ 119. Thats about what I expected. Does it amaze me? No. Is it an all around impressive car? Id have to say yes!
What were the conditions of these tests? I wonder how similar they were the conditions these were under...
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #33
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
What were the conditions of these tests? I wonder how similar they were the conditions these were under...
Absolutely Radz, as I recall temps were cool to cold...with altitude involved. Honestly, lets get 'em out on the track with warm temps, warm tires, and warm track conditions and see. Huge difference one will see...
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #34
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Absolutely Radz, as I recall temps were cool to cold...with altitude involved. Honestly, lets get 'em out on the track with warm temps, warm tires, and warm track conditions and see. Huge difference one will see...


People wonder why we don't get information for so long... Jumping to conclusions never happens...
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
2012 camaro z1l review, 2012 camaro zl1, 2012 camaro zl1 reviews, 2012 zl1, 2013 camaro zl1, 2013 camaro zl1 review, 2013 camaro zl1 reviews, 2013 zl1, camaro zl1, camaro zl1 forum, camaro zl1 forums, camaro zl1 info, camaro zl1 review, camaro zl1 reviews, chevrolet camaro zl1, chevy camaro zl1, chevy camaro zl1 forum, chevy camaro zl1 info, zl1 camaro, zl1 forum, zl1 forums, zl1 info, zl1 review, zl1 reviews

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CAMARO WIKI Tran Wiki 54 02-06-2016 12:33 PM
NEW Official Details on Camaro ZL1 -- 580hp / 556 lb-ft torque!! DarthNacho08 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 420 09-27-2011 05:17 PM
The DEFINITIVE EXPLANATION OF CAMARO SUSPENSION, ISSUES, AND UPGRADES Info@PeddersUSA.com Suspension / Brakes / Chassis 106 10-19-2009 07:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.