Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
bto131

Drives: 2LT/RS White with orange stripes
orange footwell lighting

i have the orange interior and i was gunna put in footwell lighting and i want to c wat the amber color is cuz i cant tell if it would like good compared to the red... and wat does SMD and CCFL mean as far as the lights go

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195089

Last edited by bto131; 01-22-2012 at 06:43 PM.
bto131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bto131 View Post
i have the orange interior and i was gunna put in footwell lighting and i want to c wat the amber color is cuz i cant tell if it would like good compared to the red... and wat does SMD and CCFL mean as far as the lights go
SMD are surface mount diodes (solid state LEDs) while cold-cathode fluorescent lamps (CCFLs) are just that, tubes. The CCFL requires a converter which bumps the voltage to the tube. The LEDs should theoretically last longer than the car, CCFL will have a shorter life span. I don't know what the life span is of the CCFL.

What I noticed based on the AAC aqua SMDs I bought, they consisted of a mix of colors to get the aqua color. If I ran my hand across the SMD strip, I could see three colors (blue, aqua, and green). I called AAC about this and I'm supposed to get replacements so not sure if the new set will fix this. The CCFL from what I can see is a consistent color throughout.

I can't say if you would have the same issue I have with SMDs in orange, but it takes yellow and red to make orange. Although I have some single LEDs in orange and they are consistent in color.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
AACstyle

Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by bto131 View Post
This is what the amber kit will look like:

We stopped offering CCFL for the Camaro because passengers tended to kick and break the tubes. You can kick the SMD all you want and it will not break
AACstyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, orange footwell