Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

View Poll Results: Supercharger or Turbocharger?
Supercharger 11 64.71%
Turbocharger 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #26
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Supercharger (eaton,KB,Whipple type).. typically more reliable and you can't beat the low end grunt ..

Crowley
Old 04-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #27
dankss
Contract Killer

Drives: 2010 black 1ss/rs
I really want to do the KB kit, but it probly wont come out for another year.., ugg

i know the new gxp makes 550whp on a mustang dyno with a 3 inch pulley on the magnacharger kit ..
dankss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #28
TT C6
Banned

Drives: C6, 96 383ci Z28 hardtop
09 G8 GXP LS3 with TVS2300 made 550rwhp with 6psi.
STOCK camshaft, STOCK mufflers, 1 7/8" American Racing headers and cats
http://s671.photobucket.com/albums/v...ent=car061.flv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
A nice Eaton supercharger, probably the R2300 series. (ZR1 charger for those who don't know)
I love a supercharger because you have torque and power at all times, with only a small penalty. The supercharger whine is the best, and beats the sneeze of a turbo blowoff anyday!

I completely agree.
The 2300 with the addition of long tube heades (kooks or american racing) will give yo all the power and SOUND you will ever need for the street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Supercharger (eaton,KB,Whipple type).. typically more reliable and you can't beat the low end grunt ..

Crowley

I agree.

Last edited by TT C6; 04-27-2009 at 05:17 PM.
TT C6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:25 PM   #29
BeermanSS

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:

Crowley
with the right sized turbo you can.
BeermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:42 AM   #30
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
As soon as GM or my warranty go belly up, the Twins are going on!

STS (Squires Turbo Systems) has already developed a twin turbo system for the LS3 that put down over 600wrhp on a C6.

The turbos are very easy to install, and are installed in the muffler location insted of under the hood so they stay much cooler. They also have the added benifit of huge airflow from under the car helping to keep them cool.

Twin turbos will eliminate most of the lag that turbos have been know for. Plus, they will give you a 5.4 pound to 1 H.P ratio.

And did I mention that the entire system, including the tune and installation is under $8000?

I've been hooked since I saw a 04 GTO A4 go over 140 in the 1/4.

Here is a link so you can see for your selves: http://www.ststurbo.com/c6_corvette_
Old 04-28-2009, 07:38 AM   #31
Crowley
Okie doke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeermanSS View Post
with the right sized turbo you can.
You can use small turbos that will run out of boost pretty quick but spool up pretty quick but it will not be 100% instant like the supercharger. Having owned both I like the efficiency of the turbo, but the TQ curve (and cost) of the supercharger ...

Crowley

Last edited by Crowley; 04-28-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:22 PM   #32
TT C6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
STS (Squires Turbo Systems) has already developed a twin turbo system for the LS3 that put down over 600wrhp on a C6.
DO NOT GO WITH STS !
OR any other rear mount turbo......
Unless you are going to build a race car with a forged stroker with a high stalled auto.

Even if you want to build a race car, front mounts offer much better boost delivery and performance.
Rear mounts were designed for space issues. The Camaro/G8 have a TON of space.

Yes, I've driven multiple STS cars build by the best.
Their boost delivery is HORRIBLE and do not make full boost to the higher gears.
Remember, the Camaro weighs 700lbs more than a Vette and needs all the boost EARLY.
Stay Away.

Last edited by TT C6; 04-28-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #33
SSINSTR
Michelin Man Assassin

Drives: '10 IBM 2SS/RS LS3
No doubt a TT camaro would be ridiculous. However, with most of the manufacturers going to smaller, turbo engines, that spooling sound that I love so much about my car will get old after every Joe-Blo installs an intake an BOV on their ecoboost and thinks they are in the F&F. I'll probably go the SC route just because I like the idea of instantaneous torque and I think it will compliment the big motor nicely. I will most likely wait to install one when the warranty goes out so I will reserve final judgment until the time comes

Delivered: 6/20/09
SSINSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #34
Gary B

Drives: 12 SS 45th
Todays dual ball-bearing turbos spool up crazy fast! You ever ride a turbo Hayabusa with over 500rwhp? Ain't much lag there!!! I bet you'll have positive boost before 2000 rpm.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #35
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
As soon as GM or my warranty go belly up, the Twins are going on!

The turbos are very easy to install, and are installed in the muffler location insted of under the hood so they stay much cooler. They also have the added benifit of huge airflow from under the car helping to keep them cool.

Twin turbos will eliminate most of the lag that turbos have been know for. Plus, they will give you a 5.4 pound to 1 H.P ratio.

And did I mention that the entire system, including the tune and installation is under $8000?

I've been hooked since I saw a 04 GTO A4 go over 140 in the 1/4.

Here is a link so you can see for your selves: http://www.ststurbo.com/c6_corvette_
600whp is easy out of any turbo kit for an LSx. It doesn't take much boost to make massive power out of these motors regardless of what kit you run. I don't like running all the plumbing all the way to the rear of the car and then back forward. The rear mount turbo is an interesting idea, but it comes up short over a traditional turbo system in every way except for ease of install.

Personally I prefer to stay N/A. My car plans are usually full packages, not "let's throw as much power as we can at it and see if you can keep it straight." I'd rather have a car stay together for 5 consecutive 30 minutes sessions at 8-9/10ths and be able to drive home in stop and go traffic than have a car that has to sit and cool off for an hour between 9 second passes.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #36
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Normally I like to clear up turbo myths...but I'm too tired of it lately.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #37
Crowley
Okie doke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
Todays dual ball-bearing turbos spool up crazy fast! You ever ride a turbo Hayabusa with over 500rwhp? Ain't much lag there!!! I bet you'll have positive boost before 2000 rpm.
Im not saying that don't spool up fast .. the 135i I drive now, both turbos spool crazy fast ... but it still isn't like the 04 cobra I had in regards to low end
Old 04-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #38
dankss
Contract Killer

Drives: 2010 black 1ss/rs
uhhhhh, i dont know what to doooooo

im so torn, cam,exhaust,intake?

kooks headers with the magnacharger kit?

wait a year for the kb kit...
dankss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #39
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Im not saying that don't spool up fast .. the 135i I drive now, both turbos spool crazy fast ... but it still isn't like the 04 cobra I had in regards to low end
That's because of the engine, not the power-adder.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:49 AM   #40
cam10

Drives: N/A
what do ya'll think of a magnacharger mp122 supercharger with a borla cat back exhaust and headers?
cam10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:34 AM   #41
BeermanSS

Quote:
You can use small turbos that will run out of boost pretty quick but spool up pretty quick but it will not be 100% instant like the supercharger. Having owned both I like the efficiency of the turbo, but the TQ curve (and cost) of the supercharger ...

Crowley
check out the tq curve of the cobalt ss/tc vs the cobalt ss/sc. spoiler, the turbo is flat. the sc less so.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:37 AM   #42
BeermanSS

Quote:
way too many factors, weight, gearing, displacment 3.5 6cyl vs 4.6 or 5.4supercharged 8. plus bmws aren't built to snap your neck like a mustang is. Doesn't mean that turbos can't produce instant low rpm torque. This comparison is way more than turbo vs super.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:38 AM   #43
TT C6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam10 View Post
what do ya'll think of a magnacharger mp122 supercharger with a borla cat back exhaust and headers?
The Maggie MP blowers have been replaced by the TVS 1900 and 2300.

Please, for the love of God, no one ever mention the MP blowers again.
They MP should have NEVER been put on a 350ci+ engine to begin with.

Headers from Kooks or American Racing and cats are all you'll ever need for performance and sound. The stock cat backs will be fine.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #44
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Drives: C5 Vert->CGM SS RS M6->SRT8 Magnum
STS system is very appealing, but remember all that piping going from the back of the car to the front has to be pressurized. Even if you had the fasting spooling turbos ever, you've still got a LOT of piping (& intercooler/s) to pressurize.

It certainly is appealing for ease of install (at least on the C6 compared to traditional TT setups), and thus cost of install if you're not doing it yourself, keeping the heat out of the engine bay & headders/manifolds. But it is not the best setup from a pure performance only standpoint.

I dont know if SC cars suffer as badly from hot weather as turbos do, but after owning 4 turbocharged cars and going to a C5 vette I dont think I would ever turbo an already powerful NA car. I'd either go all motor or maybe SC next time around. I just dont like the turbo side effects after living with them for so many years.

That being said, I do miss the sudden crazy on boost power spike of a modded turbo setup with a lot of boost & power. Sure it's not practical, but gawd is it a lot of fun!!!
Matt'sSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:09 AM   #45
davidj

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
Turbo's have come a long way in design. Along with ball-bearings, Variable geometry Turbo's utilise a set of vanes in the exhaust housing to maintain a constant gas velocity across the turbine, the same kind of control as used on power plant turbines. These turbochargers have minimal amount of lag, have a low boost threshold (with full boost as low as 1,500 rpm), and are efficient at higher engine speeds (they are designed to operate in its optimum A/R Ratio at any RPM). In many configurations, VGTs do not even require a wastegate.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #46
Fleet1
Pres. H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Corvette & Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrat350 View Post
I would go with a turbo, i love the sound of the a turbo spooling up

Nick at Fastlane has a 2SS/RS on order and plans to add a turbo as soon as I can get it delivered to him.
Fleet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #47
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT C6 View Post
DO NOT GO WITH STS !
OR any other rear mount turbo......
Unless you are going to build a race car with a forged stroker with a high stalled auto.

Even if you want to build a race car, front mounts offer much better boost delivery and performance.
Rear mounts were designed for space issues. The Camaro/G8 have a TON of space.

Yes, I've driven multiple STS cars build by the best.
Their boost delivery is HORRIBLE and do not make full boost to the higher gears.
Remember, the Camaro weighs 700lbs more than a Vette and needs all the boost EARLY.
Stay Away.

+1000000

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #48
MCPOAJ

Drives: NOTHING
One of each! i love the sound of both and i'd probably put on a Gt40 on for a turbo and a twin screw for supercharger maybe a procharger lol the only problem is i'd need 2 diffrent cars
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #49
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPOAJ View Post
One of each! i love the sound of both and i'd probably put on a Gt40 on for a turbo and a twin screw for supercharger maybe a procharger lol the only problem is i'd need 2 diffrent cars
You could twincharge. Look it up.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #50
Flynbyu

Drives: 2008 Corvette/2001 Tahoe
I would supercharge it. It's efficient, and it makes huge horsepower without cutting the car up, and it generates less heat.

I'd like to see what a Procharger will do for this car.

~Brian
Flynbyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, supercharger, turbocharger