Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 01-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #169
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Dexos wont protect that motor no matter what GM claims (or chevy....same motor in the caddy & buick requires full syn). The design of the timing chains, etc. require the best protection you can get.

As for the oil usage, it is well documented as an issue. Cars driven hard during break-in do better as the rings seat properly than if babied.

The main causes of failures are from the hydraulic chain tensioners. If your even 1 qt low and during aggressive driving, or even a sudden stop the oil pump can suck air and cavitate and even if for just a few seconds the tensioners loose the hydraulic pressure allowing the chains to slip on the shallow gears and then piston-to-valve contact. That and any starvation will cause damage to begin with scoring to the bearings and journals.

I cant stress enough the importance to at least check your oil every 1000 miles and run a top grade synthetic.

I know these motors inside and out and am just sharing knowledge, not picking a fight. I know this is a generation that expects zero maintanance when buying a new car, and many are close to that....but checking oil is just part of owning ANY combustion engine. It is the life-blood.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #170
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
What he said ^^^^^^^ Just to add a little something, I sat down with my service manager and talked about the timing chain failures that were pretty well documented and fairly wide spread in some Caddy's, Traverse's etc.

Being a Chevy dealer he changed out a handful of Traverse chain failures under warranty. He said every one was caused by oil that was old and dirty.

He showed me a cut away of the LLT on his 'puter and pointed out the chain tensioner and guide where sludge would build up and cause the chain to stertch and **** up everthing. lol

I have the dealer change my oil on average every 4k with mobil1 and he said I don't have anything to worry about.

I asked about cost for changing chains on the Camaro. He never did one but looked up the labor and parts and said about $12-13 hundred.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/VMax IM isolator/MACE Ported IM +Plenum Spacer/IPF Tuned
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #171
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
What he said ^^^^^^^ Just to add a little something, I sat down with my service manager and talked about the timing chain failures that were pretty well documented and fairly wide spread in some Caddy's, Traverse's etc.

Being a Chevy dealer he changed out a handful of Traverse chain failures under warranty. He said every one was caused by oil that was old and dirty.

He showed me a cut away of the LLT on his 'puter and pointed out the chain tensioner and guide where sludge would build up and cause the chain to stertch and **** up everthing. lol

I have the dealer change my oil on average every 4k with mobil1 and he said I don't have anything to worry about.

I asked about cost for changing chains on the Camaro. He never did one but looked up the labor and parts and said about $12-13 hundred.

These motors will last as long as any if cared for like you are. They are amazing with the power output, DI technology, etc. that it is worth putting a little more care into it to keep it in shape. It's only 3.6 lyer....almost 1/2 of a 6.2 and puts out the kinda of power with the fuel economy. Something I could not imagine 20 years ago.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #172
cjt037
boost+v6=me=:)

Drives: Turbo'd 6er
kevin will you give me updates through here i do not have acess to a phone bc i am on ship at the moment, PM's prefered
cjt037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #173
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Thanks for the great info guys. Ill continue checking my oil then since I drive it pretty hard.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote