Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Bumleb
 
Bumleb's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Rally Yellow
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lemoore
Posts: 41
Bumleb's Camaro battery cable issue is almost Fixed, Issue Solved

Original thread stating problem with car -- http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20125

First and foremost I want to THANK EVERYONE who responded with great ideas and suggestions. I'm so thankful to all that lended their experiences and wise knowledge. I joined this forum because I googled my car and found it on this website. Wild it was my car that brought me here. Also, I want those that thought I was kidding or lying to know that I simply posted what I did for information purposes. I hope that my experience could only be heard by others and maybe prevent or help someone else. I understand that this car is new and the first one in a long time, I know there will be bumps, this is why I wish to share and be shared with. Knowledge is power afterall. I will not pretend to know a lot about my car, for I am a girl... Just kidding. I have already learned so much from this website.

To all that said the Decepticons had a hand in it. I concur. That was absolutely my first thought.

So without further ado. We heard from the dealership, not but 3 hours after they opened and get this.... the battery cable that is routed from the trunk was routed near the starter and rubbed against it. The insulation wore through and the cable shorted out the starter causing a chain reaction, shutting the car down. They have not replaced the battery, and don't plan to. They are going to test it though. I sure do hope it's ok. I don't want to think about my battery being compromised. It's covered though, right? A new battery cable is reordered and should be installed Wednesday morning. They have also rerouted the cable. I should have my baby back Wednesday. I'm so so thankful.

So to all new camaro owners , hopefully my incident is isolated and I am one of few, rather one of one! But, if for any reason your new camaro should just shut down, check the battery cable near the starter.

Again, thank you all for the wonderful responses. I'm so grateful to have joined such a wonderful forum. Glad I became a member, wish I would have joined years ago, or whenever it was started. I will be sure to hold a photo session when I get my car back and I will post for all to see.

Speechlessly Gracious,
S. OR BUMLEB
__________________
Owner: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS Rally Yellow with Custom Black Racing Stripes
Bumleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
bbody ss
 
Drives: couple
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nc
Posts: 9
Easy fix and glad it wasnt nothing major, probaly a lazy factory worker.
bbody ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me
 
GothamCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NW Gotham, IL
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumleb View Post
First and foremost I want to THANK EVERYONE who responded with great ideas and suggestions. I'm so thankful to all that lended their experiences and wise knowledge. I joined this forum because I googled my car and found it on this website. Wild it was my car that brought me here. Also, I want those that thought I was kidding or lying to know that I simply posted what I did for information purposes. I hope that my experience could only be heard by others and maybe prevent or help someone else. I understand that this car is new and the first one in a long time, I know there will be bumps, this is why I wish to share and be shared with. Knowledge is power afterall. I will not pretend to know a lot about my car, for I am a girl... Just kidding. I have already learned so much from this website.

To all that said the Decepticons had a hand in it. I concur. That was absolutely my first thought.

So without further ado. We heard from the dealership, not but 3 hours after they opened and get this.... the battery cable that is routed from the trunk was routed near the starter and rubbed against it. The insulation wore through and the cable shorted out the starter causing a chain reaction, shutting the car down. They have not replaced the battery, and don't plan to. They are going to test it though. I sure do hope it's ok. I don't want to think about my battery being compromised. It's covered though, right? A new battery cable is reordered and should be installed Wednesday morning. They have also rerouted the cable. I should have my baby back Wednesday. I'm so so thankful.

So to all new camaro owners , hopefully my incident is isolated and I am one of few, rather one of one! But, if for any reason your new camaro should just shut down, check the battery cable near the starter.

Again, thank you all for the wonderful responses. I'm so grateful to have joined such a wonderful forum. Glad I became a member, wish I would have joined years ago, or whenever it was started. I will be sure to hold a photo session when I get my car back and I will post for all to see.

Speechlessly Gracious,
S. OR BUMLEB
Good to hear! I was reading your post earlier today and was hoping for a fast fix. Awesome!
__________________
Own- "Does it come in Black?" Exterior/ Grey Interior 2LT/RS Automatic
_____________________________________
The Batman would only drive a 2010 Camaro and buy from Camaro Scotty. 'Nuff said.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
Bumleb
 
Bumleb's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Rally Yellow
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lemoore
Posts: 41
Gosh I hope not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbody ss View Post
Easy fix and glad it wasnt nothing major, probaly a lazy factory worker.

I'm sure they are all on their toes. Just a simple mistake, hopefully.
__________________
Owner: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS Rally Yellow with Custom Black Racing Stripes
Bumleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #5
69er
 
Drives: 69 Z/28 , 83 Z/28 (L69), 10 2SS CGM
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico
Posts: 281
I will keep this fix for future reference. I gonna see if there is a routing problem on my car similar to yours. I wonder if they are all routed where there is a chance of chafing or if yours was just routed incorrectly?

Also, who can explain why/how the key can't be removed if there is no power? Doesn't make sense.
69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
fazm
 
Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: arizona
Posts: 606
glad its an easy fix for you. whats scary about this though is its a problem that could effect more than 1
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
CWI
Helping Build America
 
CWI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nationwide
Posts: 3,736
Great to hear it was something simple. Sounds like the protection circuits did their job. Hopefully this did not create any other electronic issues with your car. I'll forward this thread to my dealer so they can check mine during PDI. Thanks for making us all aware of this issue right away and welcome to Camaro5.
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"
CWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #8
Panther67
 
Panther67's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Fernando Valley
Posts: 332
Thumbs up Happy to hear that

Very happy to hear that it was not something major to deal with, thank you for sharing your ordeal experience that didnt turn out to be a serious headache this is the reason for the forum so every one of us can lend a helping hand in case something comes up,KUDOS to you Bumleb from the people at Camaro5 happy trails..................... .........
__________________
"Objects in mirror are farther than they appear"....
Panther67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
DkknightX
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Emerson, NJ
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbody ss View Post
Easy fix and glad it wasnt nothing major, probaly a lazy factory worker.
I think The Mole thought it was my car.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
catmaster1
 
catmaster1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 370
I will be checking this issue along with any other that may pop up on my car when it arrives.
catmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
TomServo
 
Drives: 2007 Z06
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Swansea IL
Posts: 727
I've lurked on this, did the car just DIE w/o warning?? If so I'd hate to have that happen at freeway speeds or in a turn. And I hope it was just "your" cable that was "mis-routed" and not a design flaw. That would most likely spell our first RECALL.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #12
PewterPhil
 
PewterPhil's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lakeland, TN
Posts: 159
Whatever normally holds that cable in place must have come loose giving the cable enough slack to rub on the starter or what ever it was rubbing on. Also must have been doing it for a while because it is not super easy to rub off the insulation that quickly unless there is some semi-violent bouncing around of the cable itself. How many miles on the car when you got it?

This (to me at least) is wierd. I have worked on cars all my life and all I can think is that someone on the line was having a bad day that day. Something was not secured correctly from the start. Hopefully it is isolated. You should ask them to show you the worn cable so you can get a pic of it and post it here. I would love to see it as I'm sure everyone else would as well.

Glad your car is fixed though. I hope that this is the last problem you ever have. Good luck.
__________________
VIN = 2G1FK1EJ4A9112201
1100 = Preliminary Order: 3/21/2009
2000 = Accepted By GM: 3/27/2009
3000 = Accepted By Production Control: 3/28/2009
3300 = Scheduled For Production: 5/9/2009
3400 = Broadcast:5/13/2009
3800 = Produced: 5/22/2009
4150 = Invoiced: 5/25/2009
4200 = Shipped: 5/25/2009
5000 = Delivered To Dealer: 6/9/2009

Ordered: Victory red, black stripes, RS/SS auto, sunroof, painted engine cover.
PewterPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
Bumleb
 
Bumleb's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Rally Yellow
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lemoore
Posts: 41
Gosh, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
I've lurked on this, did the car just DIE w/o warning?? If so I'd hate to have that happen at freeway speeds or in a turn. And I hope it was just "your" cable that was "mis-routed" and not a design flaw. That would most likely spell our first RECALL.
That was my husbands first thoughts. What if we were on a mountain road passing, with minimal shoulder space. Not even a thought I want to think about.

So thankful it happened going only a few miles per hour and thankfully the car didn't catch fire. Not even a thought I want in my head. "out, out, out"....
__________________
Owner: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS Rally Yellow with Custom Black Racing Stripes
Bumleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #14
Bumleb
 
Bumleb's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Rally Yellow
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lemoore
Posts: 41
Less than 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewterPhil View Post
Whatever normally holds that cable in place must have come loose giving the cable enough slack to rub on the starter or what ever it was rubbing on. Also must have been doing it for a while because it is not super easy to rub off the insulation that quickly unless there is some semi-violent bouncing around of the cable itself. How many miles on the car when you got it?

This (to me at least) is wierd. I have worked on cars all my life and all I can think is that someone on the line was having a bad day that day. Something was not secured correctly from the start. Hopefully it is isolated. You should ask them to show you the worn cable so you can get a pic of it and post it here. I would love to see it as I'm sure everyone else would as well.

Glad your car is fixed though. I hope that this is the last problem you ever have. Good luck.

Less than 40 miles. There were 3 miles when it got off the delivery truck. And other 20 put on my the dealership. Before I drove it home there were either 22 or 24 miles on it.
__________________
Owner: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS Rally Yellow with Custom Black Racing Stripes
Bumleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #15
One Mean Chevy
Future Vette Owner (201?)
 
One Mean Chevy's Avatar
 
Drives: A Mobile Road Block
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: GM Country
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
I've lurked on this, did the car just DIE w/o warning?? If so I'd hate to have that happen at freeway speeds or in a turn. And I hope it was just "your" cable that was "mis-routed" and not a design flaw. That would most likely spell our first RECALL.
I doubt it is a design flaw because they would have had CTF dropping like flies. More Likely human error.
__________________
Horsepower Means Nothing without the Torque and Transmission to back it up.

GM, WILL SURVIVE AND WILL BE BETTER THAN EVER.

2011 Camaro SS (6-Speed) w/RS Package. Its Great to be back in Black and a Chevy Again.

----------------------------
One Mean Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #16
Bumleb
 
Bumleb's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Rally Yellow
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lemoore
Posts: 41
I will ask for the old parts. Evidence right.... I asked the service advisor what the life of the battery should be. He said 4 years. So I said, if it goes bad in a year, it's covered, right. With this happening, speculations are that the life of the battery is compromised.
__________________
Owner: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS Rally Yellow with Custom Black Racing Stripes
Bumleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #17
superstockcam
Member
 
superstockcam's Avatar
 
Drives: a
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: here
Posts: 931
Ah, sounds like when my 69 Camaro rear starter bracket came loose shorted right on the terminal... the main issue then was being in the middle of the desert between Kingman and Phoenix at 3am! that problem took 20 minutes to repair and the battery was fine.
________
Bbw japanese

Last edited by superstockcam; 04-19-2011 at 02:38 AM.
superstockcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #18
CommandoSS
 
Drives: 05 Chevy Avalanche, 67 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumleb View Post
I will ask for the old parts. Evidence right.... I asked the service advisor what the life of the battery should be. He said 4 years. So I said, if it goes bad in a year, it's covered, right. With this happening, speculations are that the life of the battery is compromised.
Personally, I would just go buy an Optima Redtop (or Yellowtop), take it to the dealership, and tell them to put it in.

I've had HORRIBLE experiences with GM's stock ACDelco batteries. They SUCK. They barely last 2 years out where I live. Not sure where you live but if you have cold winters or hot summers and know that you will be putting the car through some cold starts, I would just swap out that battery now.

The first mod I do to all of my GM vehicles is swap the battery. It will be the same with the camaro.
__________________
CommandoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #19
Eighty-Six Z
2G1FK1EJ0A9109635
 
Eighty-Six Z's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 CGM Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 289
Glad to hear that is was an easy fix. Thanks for sharing the info with everyone here. I know I will be checking out my car for this potential problem once it arrives.

Thanks and I hope you hang out here with the rest of us now that you found us.
__________________
Ordered 10/13 - Classic Chevrolet, Grapevine TX
2SS/RS CGM, L99
4/3 -3000
4/28 -3300
5/11 - 3400
5/13 - 3800 VIN #9635
6/16- Arrived & Delivered!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrigan View Post

I don't think I have ever had this much fun in a car...by myself.
Eighty-Six Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #20
carfansince73

 
carfansince73's Avatar
 
Drives: Carefully
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandoSS View Post
Personally, I would just go buy an Optima Redtop (or Yellowtop), take it to the dealership, and tell them to put it in.

I've had HORRIBLE experiences with GM's stock ACDelco batteries. They SUCK. They barely last 2 years out where I live. Not sure where you live but if you have cold winters or hot summers and know that you will be putting the car through some cold starts, I would just swap out that battery now.

The first mod I do to all of my GM vehicles is swap the battery. It will be the same with the camaro.
I'm interested to see how long the battery will last now that it's not subject to the heat from the engine compartment.

Sounds like a new TSB maybe? Glad to hear it was a minor problem that can be fixed easily.
__________________
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!! I wonder if the state would allow this vanity plate---> KISSMYSS
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #21
BeermanSS
 
BeermanSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wilson, NY
Posts: 214
Had my balt since may 2005, its been through two years of buffalo winters and two years of phoenix heat, so far no problems with the stocker, still going strong and putting out good volts.
BeermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #22
Teleplayer
 
Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandoSS View Post
Personally, I would just go buy an Optima Redtop (or Yellowtop), take it to the dealership, and tell them to put it in.

I've had HORRIBLE experiences with GM's stock ACDelco batteries. They SUCK. They barely last 2 years out where I live. Not sure where you live but if you have cold winters or hot summers and know that you will be putting the car through some cold starts, I would just swap out that battery now.

The first mod I do to all of my GM vehicles is swap the battery. It will be the same with the camaro.
That's interesting - I've had great luck with Delco batteries and always use them as replacements. And I live in MA.
__________________

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #23
z06invb
 
Drives: 2001 Chevy Corvette Z06
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 138
You havent lived until you have had your Delco battery leak all over the electronics on your C 5 Vette. When you own one it is one of the first things you look for. I was lucky mine did not leak but the negative terminal fell out of the battery. My friend was not as lucky.

Hopefully your Camaros wont have something like our Column Lock screw up. The final fix from GM never worked except to remove the lock. So now all you have to do with most C 5's is tie a rope to it get in and tow her away.
z06invb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:21 PM   #24
Super83Z
 
Super83Z's Avatar
 
Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: City of Champions,MA
Posts: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandoSS View Post
Personally, I would just go buy an Optima Redtop (or Yellowtop), take it to the dealership, and tell them to put it in.

I've had HORRIBLE experiences with GM's stock ACDelco batteries. They SUCK. They barely last 2 years out where I live. Not sure where you live but if you have cold winters or hot summers and know that you will be putting the car through some cold starts, I would just swap out that battery now.

The first mod I do to all of my GM vehicles is swap the battery. It will be the same with the camaro.
I bought my 04 silverado new and the original battery went 118K before it didn't start one 2 degree morning.

MY 95 Camaro's delco battery went 98K and my 00 Blazer went 95K.
__________________
Current cars:
1983 Z28
1999 Z28
201x Z28?
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #25
CommandoSS
 
Drives: 05 Chevy Avalanche, 67 Camaro
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeermanSS View Post
Had my balt since may 2005, its been through two years of buffalo winters and two years of phoenix heat, so far no problems with the stocker, still going strong and putting out good volts.
There's a difference between starting a 2.0L v4 Cobalt and a 8.1L Big Block V8 that sits in my avalanche. GM only drops a 600 CCA battery which is the same battery they use with the 5.3L V8's that are in 1500 Suburbans, tahoes, avy's, etc. I'm sure the stock battery's are fine when they have to turn over smaller engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
That's interesting - I've had great luck with Delco batteries and always use them as replacements. And I live in MA.
No such luck here. I had the same thing that happened to z06invb happen to me in my 02 suburban. Battery leaked acid, we saw new stains on the garage floor but didn't think anything of it. Dad goes to start the car one day to come home from work and nothing happens. Everything dies, power locks, etc. When we went to remove the battery, terminals fell out, acid went everywhere. F'd battery tray - had to get a new one. (luckily that's all it damaged) Dropped in an optima - car started better, maintained voltage better, lights were brighter, etc. Great purchase and the battery still runs strong to this day.
__________________
CommandoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 06:10 PM
Camaro Laws ChevyNut Off-topic Discussions 102 06-06-2011 10:34 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 07:33 PM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 07:05 PM
Detroit News panel wants GM to build Camaro concept Tran 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 12 03-15-2009 04:38 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.