Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #101
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoachDad View Post
ok, sorry for the confusion. I only watched it once. SHould have watched it a couple times before commenting.
Hey - if I'm wrong, then I want to know, so maybe I missed something
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #102
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
What 'Bear said.

I'm trying to find if there is an "OFF" function for PTM. I believe the Reviewer said that he ran without it, and that he launched just over 2000 RPMs for a faster, but not as consistant time. Maybe he just meant Mode 4...
Yes radz, I am looking for clarification on that as well...from GM it says...
"Mode 5 – Traction control set on Race, with stability control off and Magnetic Ride Control set on Track. Launch control tuned for VHT-prepped drag strips."

Sooo, I ask what does TC "track" setting mean?, and MRC "track" setting mean exactly? And launch control "tuned" for "VHT" prepped race tracks? Sounds to me like the electronics are still on to some degree limiting and/or monitoring something designed to control some function of the vehicle.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #103
Anniecamaro

Drives: yellow LT2 RS
For those that hate Chevy and gm .how many car under 60 run 3.8 0 to 60 and 12 sec 1/4 mile ??
Anniecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #104
zero

Drives: Black 2SS/RS LS3
For those of us who are server blocked from you tube does anyone know any other sites this video is on?
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #105
2SSJIM

Drives: CRT ZL1 #1400
Very impressive! I'm looking forward to the GT500 review they'll do for camparison, it should be interesting.
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #106
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Yes radz, I am looking for clarification on that as well...from GM it says...
"Mode 5 – Traction control set on Race, with stability control off and Magnetic Ride Control set on Track. Launch control tuned for VHT-prepped drag strips."

Sooo, I ask what does TC "track" setting mean?, and MRC "track" setting mean exactly? And launch control "tuned" for "VHT" prepped race tracks? Sounds to me like the electronics are still on to some degree limiting and/or monitoring something designed to control some function of the vehicle.
Well - it seems that TC is probably somewhat there, because it has to manipulate power/traction, so there still has to be some intervention. On ZR1 - the MR was softened, too, to allow more weight transfer, but I'm not sure if that's going to be on ZL1, too - I wouldn't see why not...

So many questions, lol. I think you're right, though. I would like to see if everything can be turned off, though, because I've read and heard that Mr. Link's 'Ring run was with everything "OFF", so that leads me to believe that is something we're going to see, too...
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
Old 02-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #107
72MachOne99GT

Drives: 1972 Mach 1, 1999 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniecamaro View Post
For those that hate Chevy and gm .how many car under 60 run 3.8 0 to 60 and 12 sec 1/4 mile ??
Don't even bother acknowledging these people. Someone who hates something, isn't going to admit or conceed anything even with facts staring right at them.

You'll be wasting your own breath.

As far as that peformance group, I'm certain it's a very small group of Cara compared to the population of factory showroom stock cars out there, but at the same time, it's not supercar territory, and I for one am perfectly fine with that.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #108
jose1003

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Cyber Gray
wow
Old 02-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #109
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Well - it seems that TC is probably somewhat there, because it has to manipulate power/traction, so there still has to be some intervention. On ZR1 - the MR was softened, too, to allow more weight transfer, but I'm not sure if that's going to be on ZL1, too - I wouldn't see why not...

So many questions, lol. I think you're right, though. I would like to see if everything can be turned off, though, because I've read and heard that Mr. Link's 'Ring run was with everything "OFF", so that leads me to believe that is something we're going to see, too...
When you initially turn the car on, PTM is off and stability control is on. If you tap the stability control button once (located in front of shifter) you will have turned of stability control, you have now turned off all electronic aides.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #110
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
When you initially turn the car on, PTM is off and stability control is on. If you tap the stability control button once (located in front of shifter) you will have turned of stability control, you have now turned off all electronic aides.
I'm not arguing - just confirming , but the car starts with Stability Control, but you have to activate PTM?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #111
Frankzl1

Drives: 2012 Ashen ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniecamaro View Post
Frankzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #112
69NMYSS

Quote:
I'm not arguing - just confirming , but the car starts with Stability Control, but you have to activate PTM?

Thanks
No worries, I have read enough of your post to understand you just want all the facts as do I. I had to read for 18 hours straight to understand it, finally found the new manual for the Camaro which includes all the ZL1 functions and it helped explain a lot.
That is correct, upon starting the car, the PTM is off and stability control is on (as a safety feature). You can select the mag ride, sport or tour. Pressing the stability control button one time will disengage the stability control which essentially turns off all electronic aides. Pressing the Sport button twice engages PTM, you can then select which mode of PTM you would like by using the - (tour button) or + (sport button).
Old 02-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #113
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
Thanks, now a question...so then at this point one would be able to boil the tires off the car and run the motor up to the rev limiter without the electronics taking any power out of the motor? We would be then in the full tilt/balls to the wall mode?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #114
69NMYSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Thanks, now a question...so then at this point one would be able to boil the tires off the car and run the motor up to the rev limiter without the electronics taking any power out of the motor? We would be then in the full tilt/balls to the wall mode?
You got it, however realize the the rear may be sliding all over the place with stability control disengaged. Traction control is what limits torque/power to the rear.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #115
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
I had to read for 18 hours straight to understand it, finally found the new manual for the Camaro which includes all the ZL1 functions and it helped explain a lot.

Where did you find that at and how come it's not a sticky????

Or did I just miss it......
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #116
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Yet another question: I believe the reviewer stated that mode 5 is also meant to be used with drag radials. What happens if you're in this mode on stock tires?
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #117
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post

Looking for this to add to the FAQ.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #118
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
You got it, however realize the the rear may be sliding all over the place with stability control disengaged. Traction control is what limits torque/power to the rear.
Yes that's true, may I note I am an old drag racer who didn't have the luxury of electronic Nannies to watch my derriere...just a Guardian Angel...
Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #119
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
Yet another question: I believe the reviewer stated that mode 5 is also meant to be used with drag radials. What happens if you're in this mode on stock tires?
It might sound like I'm arguing a semantic, but I'm not

I don't think anything will happen. I think they're stance would likely be that you can't expect the maximum benefit from that mode without VHT or DRs. If you're thinking that you shouldn't run in Mode 5 without either of those, I'm only suggesting that those are just not the conditions that mode was designed for and you wouldn't get the maximum benefit from it without those details We didn't see any videos with ZL1 on DRs from the track tests, so, once again - I have more questions than answers.

All in due time
Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #120
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Nope, that's a fine answer.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #121
toilets

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:

I wonder then what setting they designed for road course? I thought it was setting 5 but if it softens the suspension for weight transfer then this would not be ideal.
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #122
IOMZL1

Drives: 1991 Z28; 2008 SRT 10 Viper Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by toilets View Post
I wonder then what setting they designed for road course? I thought it was setting 5 but if it softens the suspension for weight transfer then this would not be ideal.
If they do this it would only be during launch mode. Mode 5 would still be the most advanced mode for the road course.

Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand. Ignorance, prejudice, and fear walk hand in hand...

http://dougshelbyengineering.com/Viper.html
IOMZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #123
Uneducated Guess
'12 ZL1 #742

Drives: his wife crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post

It's on the chevy website now. I told Dragoneye he should put it in his sub-stickies.
Uneducated Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #124
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uneducated Guess View Post
It's on the chevy website now. I told Dragoneye he should put it in his sub-stickies.
Good to know!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #125
Uneducated Guess
'12 ZL1 #742

Drives: his wife crazy
ZL1 Manual.

http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/...2k12camaro.pdf
Uneducated Guess is offline   Reply With Quote