Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
How to adjust front camber?

Got my car aligned and they couldn't figure out how to adjust the front camber. Can someone enlighten me on how to do it? Don't you just loosen the strut knuckle?
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
GreyLS3SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Id find another shop,because they obviously don't know what they are doing. lower bolts on shock
GreyLS3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Both bolts on the strut lower connection point needs to be loose the top bold of the 2 can be moved inner or outer until correct camper degree is achieved then tighten. Some shops just shouldn't be in business.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Well it was a friends place so I gave them
The benefit of the doubt. I figured that was how you do it. I should have just showed them.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
oh sorry about that didn't mean to insult your friend forgive me. Also I would advise you to take it and get a proper alignment from the dealership or a good shop, guess work is not good here.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Haha no. Insult away. It was a friend of a friend deal. I wanted it done right! Lol
Old 02-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
Haha no. Insult away. It was a friend of a friend deal. I wanted it done right! Lol
If you're in SD you've got an option of a couple different shops to get it done right. CMS Motorsports in Murietta has a lot of experience with the Camaro and should definitely be able to get your alignment dialed in correctly.

To directly answer your question it's just as the posters above have mentioned, loosen the bolts at the shock mounts and the assembly pivots. It's pretty easy, and similar in adjustment to any other MacPhearson strut assembly.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
Got my car aligned and they couldn't figure out how to adjust the front camber. Can someone enlighten me on how to do it? Don't you just loosen the strut knuckle?
The 5th Gen Camaro, the Pontiac G8, the Pontiac GTO and the new Police Caprice are the easiest cars in the USA to set front camber. You use the camber screw in the knuckle.

It is a 10mm 1.5 pitch screw / bolt.

Loosen both clevis bolts. Use and extension on your socket wrench to reach through the wheel spokes with the alignment heads mounted. Turn it to the right and you decrease camber. Turn it to the left to increase camber. Get it exactly where you want it and tighten the clevis bolts.

It is all in the THE Book on 5th Gen Suspension right here on Camaro5.

Last edited by JusticePete; 02-14-2012 at 09:16 AM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The LSX Dr. View Post
I'm starting to think he may be mistaking Caster and Camber...
There is no caster adjusstment on the 5th Gen as it delivers from the factory. You can use Pedders Caster eXtreme Range Eccentrics to create caster adjustment. Drill holes on either side of the radius arm bolt.

Grind out the material between the holes. Grind all the way to the fence for optimal adjustment range.

The slot is good to go on the left, but it needs a bit more material removed on the right. Install Pedders eXtreme Range Caster Bolts. They are sold with 10mm 1.5 Camber screws.

It is all in the THE Book on 5th Gen Suspension right here on Camaro5.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS A6 SC LPO Rallies
Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Turn it to the right and you decrease camber. Turn it to the left to increase camber.
HUH? Threading the bolt into the knuckle against the strut (to the right) will push the knuckle out (this causes camber to go positive/increase) and threading the bolt out (to the left) allows the knuckle to move inward (this causes camber to go negative/decrease)....

So I disagree with your wording above unless you meant to say "decrease negative camber" and "increase negative camber"...
Old 02-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
HUH? Threading the bolt into the knuckle against the strut (to the right) will push the knuckle out (this causes camber to go positive/increase) and threading the bolt out (to the left) allows the knuckle to move inward (this causes camber to go negative/decrease)....

So I disagree with your wording above unless you meant to say "decrease negative camber" and "increase negative camber"...

I must have missed the part of your post where you said thank you for posting a picture showing the location of the camber screw and explaining how to use it. I know you were thinking that so I'll say you're welcome.

Camber is adjusted on an alignment machine, or with plumb-bobs or with camber gauges. The corresponding result of a turn in or turn out of the camber screw will be clear to the technician.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The LSX Dr. View Post
Yes I know there is no caster adjustment from the factory. That was my point. I cannot believe that a alignment tech could not figure out the camber.
Most technicians rely on the how to adjust section of the alignment machine software. The camber screw is not listed for the 5th Gen nor are the slots in the clevis. The camber screw is not available as a part for the 5th Gen. The use of the camber screw is not in the GM shop manual, or wasn't when last I checked. Slots in a strut are nothing new. Not all cars come with slots for camber adjustment. If they don't and experienced tech will create a slot. To save money, a lot of cars leave the factory without camber and caster adjustment. They have only toe.

Not only did Chevrolet leave out the camber screw, they installed fences for Caster adjustment with a round hole so it cannot be adjusted with grinding.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
hypurone

Send a message via AIM to hypurone Send a message via MSN to hypurone Send a message via Yahoo to hypurone
Quote:

I must have missed the part of your post where you said thank you for posting a picture showing the location of the camber screw and explaining how to use it. I know you were thinking that so I'll say you're welcome.

Camber is adjusted on an alignment machine, or with plumb-bobs or with camber gauges. The corresponding result of a turn in or turn out of the camber screw will be clear to the technician.

Well, there are those of us who have done alignments for a living and don't need pictures and your explanation was flawed

You are always so quick to take offense to any correction and can never just deal with it nicely. Like saying "whoops, you know that's right".
Old 02-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Well, there are those of us who have done alignments for a living and don't need pictures and your explanation was flawed

You are always so quick to take offense to any correction and can never just deal with it nicely. Like saying "whoops, you know that's right".
Oh sir, forgive me. Please post your mobile number here in the thread so I and other C5 members can call you for editorial assistance before we post.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
hypurone

Quote:
Oh sir, forgive me. Please post your mobile number here in the thread so I and other C5 members can call you for editorial assistance before we post.
You are forgiven....
Old 02-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #16
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
I think the issue may be that there is no bolt in that threaded hole to do the actual adjustment, unless they added them to the later models. There is a bolt in the rear of the car that will work but I forget which one. Pete posted the thread dimensions so they should be good to go.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #17
yungd83

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2
Anyone know where I can get the screw/bolt from
yungd83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #18
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungd83 View Post
I got a pair of hardened ones from Star Bolt here in Arkansas. Any place that sells bolts should have them. Just note the size and pitch from the reply above and you'll be good to go. Make sure you don't get them too long either.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #19
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungd83 View Post
You can order them from Pedders 248.522.8021 or find a local source for a 10mm 1.5 pitch screw.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS 1LE
Is everyone leaving the adjuster bolt/screw in the knucle after the alignment or are you pulling them back out after you are done? I just aligned ours and it was a pain keeping the camber setting in while i was tightening the bolts this would have helped alot, but just wondering if one set of bolts/screws would work or if i need a set per car?

Wichita Region SCCA Autocross
#23 FS
http://www.wichitascca.org/SoloII.html
ICTsccaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #21
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Is everyone leaving the adjuster bolt/screw in the knucle after the alignment or are you pulling them back out after you are done? I just aligned ours and it was a pain keeping the camber setting in while i was tightening the bolts this would have helped alot, but just wondering if one set of bolts/screws would work or if i need a set per car?
The Pontiac GTO and G8 used the same camber adjustment system and came with the camber screws installed from the factory. I would leave the screws in so they are there when needed.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #22
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
I have the Hotchkis Track Pack which includes their lowering springs. When I had my car in for an alignment at the Chevy dealer, he said he couldn't get the camber right and was going to have to drill out the mount. Ended up that he could not get my wheels off since the key I have for the lugs was misplaced so he did not do any drilling. In the end, he said that he got it right (I'm doubtful since I didn't get a printout showing the final specs in green).

I guess my question is should I expect camber issues with these drop springs on the stock struts that can't be adjusted? I have noticed my inner front tires wearing more than the outside.

Thanks for any help.
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!! I wonder if the state would allow this vanity plate---> KISSMYSS
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #23
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfansince73 View Post
I have the Hotchkis Track Pack which includes their lowering springs. When I had my car in for an alignment at the Chevy dealer, he said he couldn't get the camber right and was going to have to drill out the mount. Ended up that he could not get my wheels off since the key I have for the lugs was misplaced so he did not do any drilling. In the end, he said that he got it right (I'm doubtful since I didn't get a printout showing the final specs in green).

I guess my question is should I expect camber issues with these drop springs on the stock struts that can't be adjusted? I have noticed my inner front tires wearing more than the outside.

Thanks for any help.
1. With lowering coils, your Camaro can be aligned with the range specified by the factory.

2. With a tech that says I have to grind, but I couldn't and your alignment just magically fell into place and we don't have a print out so we don't know what the specs are your only option is to get a real alignment.

3. Print out the alignment information a couple of posts above, go back to the same shop, review it with them and ask them to do this one on their dime or find a new dealer and start from scratch.

4. The only limitation on alignment with a lowered Camaro compared to a factory height Camaro is rear camber. The lower you go the higher the negative rear camber will become. This is a priority with wider than stock rear wheels or to optimize handling or drag launches, Th fix is simple. Replaces the factory camber eccentrics with Justice Pete Signature Series Rear Camber bolts that have an additional 1 degree of adjustment. Part Number HW-CAM8-R-CAM-ADJ
Old 09-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #24
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Use lots of loctite when you leave them in. Some goober tech left the bolts in loose and I didn't notice right away. I could only imagine the suck factor of my day if it flew out and jammed in the rotor/caliper or clipped a brake line as I stomped on the brakes at the end of a straight. One was 3 turns from out when I noticed the rattle.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #25
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Quote:
1. With lowering coils, your Camaro can be aligned with the range specified by the factory.

2. With a tech that says I have to grind, but I couldn't and your alignment just magically fell into place and we don't have a print out so we don't know what the specs are your only option is to get a real alignment.

3. Print out the alignment information a couple of posts above, go back to the same shop, review it with them and ask them to do this one on their dime or find a new dealer and start from scratch.

4. The only limitation on alignment with a lowered Camaro compared to a factory height Camaro is rear camber. The lower you go the higher the negative rear camber will become. This is a priority with wider than stock rear wheels or to optimize handling or drag launches, Th fix is simple. Replaces the factory camber eccentrics with Justice Pete Signature Series Rear Camber bolts that have an additional 1 degree of adjustment. Part Number HW-CAM8-R-CAM-ADJ
Thanks! I just love this website.
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!! I wonder if the state would allow this vanity plate---> KISSMYSS
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote