Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #57
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Well ... if you add 125 lbs to the front end, and 125 lbs to the back end its going to balance out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I think that is somewhat true. That rear end I hear is heavy. Bombproof but heavy.
Added as low as you can go, though...excellent for Center of Gravity...hmmm....

Do you suppose if the Z28/1LE got that differential, but not the supercharger, it would achieve a perfect 50/50? (ZL1 is 51/49, I think). But that would still mean a net increase in weight...hmmmm....
Old 02-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #58
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
That has been my question all along, does a 1LE or even an LS7 based Z28 need that rear end? For drag racing yes, but track work??? I think stronger axles should be all that is needed. I think?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #59
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Added as low as you can go, though...excellent for Center of Gravity...hmmm....

Do you suppose if the Z28/1LE got that differential, but not the supercharger, it would achieve a perfect 50/50? (ZL1 is 51/49, I think). But that would still mean a net increase in weight...hmmmm....
I have had that very thought as well. And I think the ZL1 is 52/48 like the other Camaros but it could be 51/49.

Anyway, it would indeed move the CG down & towards the rear. To move the weight distribution back by 1 point on the Camaro, you need to add about 75 lbs over the rear axle (or remove that much, if your reference is the ZL1)
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #60
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
That has been my question all along, does a 1LE or even an LS7 based Z28 need that rear end? For drag racing yes, but track work??? I think stronger axles should be all that is needed. I think?
If the added weight is offset by the benefit of a lower, more balanced Cg...maybe it's worth adding just because? It certainly wouldn't hurt durability! And the cost/development is covered with the ZL1...

To cover their bases, I'd just as soon use it. ...especially if the LS7 is used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I have had that very thought as well. And I think the ZL1 is 52/48 like the other Camaros but it could be 51/49.

Anyway, it would indeed move the CG down & towards the rear. To move the weight distribution back by 1 point on the Camaro, you need to add about 75 lbs over the rear axle (or remove that much, if your reference is the ZL1)
+1
Old 02-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #61
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
At the risk of being branded a heretic (or worse!), there were issues with certain SSs re: axles/diff/trans. Not all Z28s/1LEs will be road course radicals...some are gonna get "stripped" a 1/4-mile at a time (and some will never leave the street/hiway!). Build 'em "like a rock" (where have I heard that before?!), so "downtime" isn't. Better customer satisfaction, statistically and in actuality. And charge once, up-front, for the "good stuff". A little weight...a LOT more satisfaction...for the owner AND GM. It's cheaper, all around, to do it right the first time and make the car more worry-free and trouble-free...

Lower Cg? Check. Less "unsprung weight"? Yuup. Pricier? Yes, but only a bit.

Now, to play devil's advocate: With an "enhanced FE4" (read: no MRC), with ZL1 drivetrain/brakes and ZL1 rims/rubber and EITHER LS3/LS7 engine AND 1LS seats (non-powered, non-heated, no-slip) AND coolers AND MRC OPTIONAL, I believe you'd be really close to a 1SS Curb...and, compared to ZL1 Curb, that's HUGE!

The mitigating circumstance? Does a better mousetrap (enhanced FE4) exist within GM, good-to-go? If NOT, there may not be time/budget/will...and IF its final result would be little $aving$ and sub-ZL1 results, make 'er MRC.

BTW, the proper term is "ZL1 Lite", Bud...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 02-21-2012 at 02:59 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #62
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Thanks don't mind if I do.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #63
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
I think that is somewhat true. That rear end I hear is heavy. Bombproof but heavy.
I believe it's cast iron? Bigger ring and pinion, the works. It's got to weigh 50-75 pounds more than the aluminum housing. But, in order to answer your question, one must look for any common catastrophic failures in the currently used SS rear axle assembly under maximum stress racing conditions to see where the weak points are. I am sure there are some links in the chain prone to failure, but I have not done any research.

Tags
announced soon