Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #76
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
In the video he says it's accomplished by 'Steging the oncoming clutch of the next upshifted gear before the driver even requests it.

So is that a mechanical change as well? Does the 6L80E have that ability?

He did say it was implemented in the 2012 Camaro, Corvette, and CTSV. He didn't specify the ZL1 or ZR1.

Any thoughts?
It's not a mechanical change. How I understand it is the programming, under acceleration, pre-fills the hydraulics for the next gear (clutch pack). So, whereas before you hit the paddle, the transmission confirmed a gear change - fills hydraulics - shifts gears....now you hit the button and it's already ready to shift.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #77
YourBlindingBias
Banned
 
Drives: GT500/ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LA
Posts: 336
Nice tuning they did on that! kind of ironic an automatic shifting gears lol
but I am sure it's more comfty than a manual. just can't beat a manual for fun though!
YourBlindingBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #78
MyIBMssRS

 
Drives: 10 IBM SS RS/12 RAV4
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 1,576
Damn, I thought I was in the ZL1 subforum, not the post whore lounge.

Anyone from GM want to address this software's potential availability to pre 2012 A6s?
MyIBMssRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #79
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
I also heard that it anticipates going "lower" in gears so you don't over rev! So downshifts won't be so dangerous! Something about being based on your MPH the tranny will select the proper gear going into corners ..... ??? TBD......
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #80
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,787
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
I also heard that it anticipates going "lower" in gears so you don't over rev! So downshifts won't be so dangerous! Something about being based on your MPH the tranny will select the proper gear going into corners ..... ??? TBD......
The automatic will never let you downshift if it puts RPMS past the rev-limiter.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #81
bobmac427
 
bobmac427's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Z06
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
It also claims no hardware changes and the improvement is in the software, I wonder if our cars can be upgraded?
Yes!

My tuner has been doing it in tap shift Corvettes for some time now.


Bob
bobmac427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #82
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
Heres a quote from a magazine last year around October... forget which one...but it is on target.

___________________________

Likewise, he stressed that the optional six-speed Hydra-Matic 6L90 automatic gearbox is “not for poseurs who don't know how to shift.” As a general rule, hard-core enthusiasts will choose the six-speed Tremec manual transmission, but at least the auto 'box is built for performance, with three different driving modes including a manual setting that only shifts when a driver commands. Automatic upshifts will not occur even at redline, and Oppenheiser promised that it will select and hold the appropriate low gear into corners to match the manual-equipped ZL1's performance.

“Contrary to what we could have done [by taking the easy way out with a simple, off-the-shelf transmission], the automatic is not a compromise,” he said. “We spent a lot of time working on it for the track.”

________________
It certainly sounds like even the auto is track ready! Up and Down the gear range! Holy Sheet..... I forgot to make the bed before my wife gets home...... BRB


I also read somewhere that in driving mode 1 & 2 the auto starts out in 2nd. Anybody else know about that?
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #83
1MtnGoat
 
1MtnGoat's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western NC
Posts: 393
Yes, when in 'D" the tranny starts out in 2nd gear. Tapshift or "M' will start in 1st.
1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #84
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MtnGoat View Post
Yes, when in 'D" the tranny starts out in 2nd gear. Tapshift or "M' will start in 1st.
I thought you could leave it in "D" and still select 5 different modes, and it was the "modes" that determined which gear you start out it. IE, if you are in D AND in Mode 5, you will start in 1st gear!
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #85
CAM....ZL1

 
CAM....ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BENTON, IL.
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBlindingBias View Post
Nice tuning they did on that! kind of ironic an automatic shifting gears lol
but I am sure it's more comfty than a manual. just can't beat a manual for fun though!
I have a 2SS now, and if u use competetive performance mode and trac off it will surprise you, and with the new tranny improvements,from what i hear [ were really gonna like this auto ] should be very exciting....I can't wait to get my hands on it sitting beside a M..Turd. Ops did I say that..
CAM....ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #86
RonnieSVT
 
Drives: 2001 Lightning
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 105
Sorry but i still believe that the auto is only going to be quicker for the average driver !I bet a good driver with a 6 spped is still going to be quicker
RonnieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #87
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.
 
Revo1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,812
I'd like to see a firmware update for the '10s. Shift response is my only beef with the current setup...
__________________

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #88
1MtnGoat
 
1MtnGoat's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western NC
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Heres a quote from a magazine last year around October... forget which one...but it is on target.

___________________________

Likewise, he stressed that the optional six-speed Hydra-Matic 6L90 automatic gearbox is “not for poseurs who don't know how to shift.” As a general rule, hard-core enthusiasts will choose the six-speed Tremec manual transmission, but at least the auto 'box is built for performance, with three different driving modes including a manual setting that only shifts when a driver commands. Automatic upshifts will not occur even at redline, and Oppenheiser promised that it will select and hold the appropriate low gear into corners to match the manual-equipped ZL1's performance.

“Contrary to what we could have done [by taking the easy way out with a simple, off-the-shelf transmission], the automatic is not a compromise,” he said. “We spent a lot of time working on it for the track.”

________________
It certainly sounds like even the auto is track ready! Up and Down the gear range! Holy Sheet..... I forgot to make the bed before my wife gets home...... BRB


I also read somewhere that in driving mode 1 & 2 the auto starts out in 2nd. Anybody else know about that?
"The ZL1’s automatic is a Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed with additional clutch plates, a strengthened output shaft, and the extra planetary pinion gears needed to ensure survival in this trying assignment. The transmission is programmed with three operating modes. The normal Drive mode uses second-gear starts, quick upshifts in the interests of fuel economy, and temporary manual operation when a down-shift button is tapped or the lever is moved. The Sport mode ups the ante with first-gear starts, more aggressive gear changes, and shifts delayed to higher rpm. In Manual mode, there are no shifts until the driver commands one; gear changes are as fast as possible for maximum acceleration."
1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #89
Wondering
 
Wondering's Avatar
 
Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieSVT View Post
Sorry but i still believe that the auto is only going to be quicker for the average driver !I bet a good driver with a 6 spped is still going to be quicker
Maybe....but the number of people who can really shift is dwarfed by the number who think they can.


See it at the track all the time. Some guy in a Z06 will walk around with his chest out blabbing about how he owns a 10 sec car. Then go rip off a few mid 12's,park it,and stand there scratching his head wondering what's wrong with his car.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #90
Blue Maro Demon

 
Blue Maro Demon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 AQUA BLUE CAMARO RS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,196
ZL1 Automatic Tap Shift Video!

Not sure if this has been posted yet but here you go!

__________________
Blue Maro Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #91
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Maro Demon View Post
Not sure if this has been posted yet but here you go!

Thanks for the video, Blue'

Dragon' had a link in his initial post
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #92
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Thanks for the video, Blue'

Dragon' had a link in his initial post
I'd like to see the best manual driver out shift that besides the fact you never disengage the drivetrain by putting in the clutch
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #93
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,524
I have always felt a properly built auto is better for the quarter mile. I have yet to drive one yet that I like as well on a road course.

That upshift response in the video looked good. Would like to see a vid on the track with up and downshifts. That is where the feel awkward to me.
__________________
2013 ZL1
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #94
CFD



 
Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MASS.
Posts: 4,856
I have driven many manuals and here are my thoughts, putting aside the "fun factor" as that is a matter of personal preference, when driving an auto, especially with tap shift and the two hands and feet god gave you, you have the ultimate control. You can brake, accelerate ,shift and steer simotaneously without ever disengaging your drivetrain, this disengaging and re-ingaging your drivetrain is what gives the undesireable charecteristics when shifting in corners. These charecteristics although not completely eliminated, are drastically reduced allowing precise shifting and control.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #95
SilentSonic
 
SilentSonic's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
I'd like to see a firmware update for the '10s. Shift response is my only beef with the current setup...
Have you checked out the Jannetty tune? It does wonders for shift response (plus a whole lot more)
__________________
SilentSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #96
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MtnGoat View Post
"The ZL1’s automatic is a Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed with additional clutch plates, a strengthened output shaft, and the extra planetary pinion gears needed to ensure survival in this trying assignment. The transmission is programmed with three operating modes. The normal Drive mode uses second-gear starts, quick upshifts in the interests of fuel economy, and temporary manual operation when a down-shift button is tapped or the lever is moved. The Sport mode ups the ante with first-gear starts, more aggressive gear changes, and shifts delayed to higher rpm. In Manual mode, there are no shifts until the driver commands one; gear changes are as fast as possible for maximum acceleration."

I think this is a quote from a source from some time ago before more specific details have been revealed.. or designs fully finalized.. kind of like when we just knew the car would have >550 HP.... do you have your source and time by any chance? I would think in Sport Mode in D, you will have 1st gear.
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #97
1MtnGoat
 
1MtnGoat's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 SIM ZL1, 1 of 49
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western NC
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
I think this is a quote from a source from some time ago before more specific details have been revealed.. or designs fully finalized.. kind of like when we just knew the car would have >550 HP.... do you have your source and time by any chance? I would think in Sport Mode in D, you will have 1st gear.
The source was from one of the "sticky" threads above. I'll look later. The Camaro Manual on page 9-20 Driving and Operating mentions 2nd gear starts only in the "D" mode. After the first start in that mode.
1MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #98
Whorable MPG1975
I'd rather be Blown.
 
Whorable MPG1975's Avatar
 
Drives: 1975 CAMARO 454ciBBC/TKO-600
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Japan, Yokosuka
Posts: 148
Cool video, my 2011 SS rental was a bit slow on the tap shift but this seems to be far more improved.

I wonder how the ZL1 will do when someone installs a torque converter in it for the 1st time... those CTS-V guys are saying the all get AT least a .5 decrease in there 1/4 mile times. When I do order mine, I am going with the auto for sure!


a smaller pulley change will happen as well, har har har....
Whorable MPG1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #99
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorable MPG1975 View Post
Cool video, my 2011 SS rental was a bit slow on the tap shift but this seems to be far more improved.

I wonder how the ZL1 will do when someone installs a torque converter in it for the 1st time... those CTS-V guys are saying the all get AT least a .5 decrease in there 1/4 mile times. When I do order mine, I am going with the auto for sure!


a smaller pulley change will happen as well, har har har....
BINGO!!! A stall will absolutely make ZL1 a beast. Throw some DRs on it, and it's going to humble many other cars. I'm curious to see if a lot of the calibrations are similar to what tuners have already been doing for some time.
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #100
Ject
aka Patrick
 
Ject's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Derby Kansas
Posts: 3,096
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Yet more money to spend to get the tapshift to respond faster.
__________________
Current Modifications: Your average Bolt-ons & Suspension Upgrades
GForce Engineering: 9" Rear End, Strange Pro Iron Case w/Moser Nodular 3.70:1 Detroit locker, 3.5" Solid Drive Shaft
Ject is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FE3 to ZL1 Zway Bar UpgradeZ and ZL1 ZuZpenZion PackageZ JusticePete Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 111 05-08-2013 10:38 PM
Camaro ZL1 Laps Nurburgring in 7:41.27. Enters Supercar Territory!! Tran Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 547 11-15-2011 01:53 PM
New Camaro ZL1 Video Feature - Phase Four: Aerodynamic Testing 1BADZL1 Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics 104 11-13-2011 03:24 PM
Automatic faster than the manual??? 2sharp Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 319 09-30-2008 09:20 AM
Camaro does the Nurburgring test track in 8:20 2sharp 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 45 07-23-2008 03:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.