Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
Another radius rod bushing question

I just got my radius rods out. It was more of a pain in the @ss than I thought it was going to be. I have a set of Pedders inserts to install, but now as I look at them I wonder if I shouldn't get full replacements while I have them out.

I guess I'm wondering if the inserts are going to take the mush out of it. I'm going with full replacements for all the other bushings.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
what's the part number for the Pedders bushings? Only asking because I don't think they make just inserts, the bushing is tiny already to begin with.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
The radius rod bushes are actually quite large. I have the full bushing replacement and i remember it took even the man himself (Justice Pete) some fighting to get the old one pressed out even a little more struggling to get the new one in.

The have the regular inserts and the HD inserts and the full bushing replacement which is what i had. I thing the inserts will tighten up the steering some but on the full bush replacement,

Pete clamped the radius rod in a vice with the new bush and told me to apply force to the other end.....no movement whatsoever. He did the same thing with the radius rod before with the OEM bush and it moved side to side at least 1/2 inch.
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: STUPID SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 300M axles, 3.5"alum DS, MCLeod RXT clutch, 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads

Last edited by BullF-16; 03-13-2012 at 08:14 PM.
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
what's the part number for the Pedders bushings? Only asking because I don't think they make just inserts, the bushing is tiny already to begin with.

https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au...rodCode=EP6577

https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au...rodCode=EP6578

https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au...rodCode=EP6579
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: STUPID SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 300M axles, 3.5"alum DS, MCLeod RXT clutch, 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
I was skeptical of the radius rod inserts too when I saw them, but the improvement is noticeable.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Here is some info on the radius rod insert and yes Pedders does have them. It's best bought with their Stage 1 Street kit so you get a small discount.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ght=radius+rod

I ended up having full bushings put it but not that I was really disappointed in the insert but more of a...while I was at the shop kind of thing. If you have a press it's not all that bad but it's definately more of an install than just the insert.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
I was skeptical of the radius rod inserts too when I saw them, but the improvement is noticeable.
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
A press will make removing the factory trailing arm bushings a snap. Just find the appropriate sized socket and push it on out.

With our front trailing arm sphericals the reinstallation is a breeze. Just clean up the bore of the arm of any left over pieces of the factory bushing, put on the supplied LocTite retaining compound, slide the bearing in place and install the snap ring. Instead of pressing in a firmer piece of polyurethane that will bind during normal operation of the arm, we replace that bushing with an ultra low deflection spherical bearing. This bearing will allow the arm to freely rotate how that arm was designed to in the factory rubber bushing, but eliminate deflection to help braking and steering response. We know these are going to be installed on street cars, so we use a heavy duty teflon lined bearing for these spherical bearings to prevent any extra noise from being transmitted to the cabin.

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
I just got my radius rods out. It was more of a pain in the @ss than I thought it was going to be. I have a set of Pedders inserts to install, but now as I look at them I wonder if I shouldn't get full replacements while I have them out.

I guess I'm wondering if the inserts are going to take the mush out of it. I'm going with full replacements for all the other bushings.
Put the inserts in. Pedders guarantees your satisfaction. Call me if you are anything less than very pleased with the result.