Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

4th Generation Camaros 1993-2002

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
96z
Youngest z28 owner.
 
Drives: 1996 Camaro z28
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Humble
Posts: 202
How to find out if this car is a real "SS"

I am buying a 2002 SOM Camaro SS tomorrow. Im pretty sure its a real ss but it dosent have the SLP LID/SLP Exaust. So how can I tell? I dont have the car, but I have the VIN.

Thanks!
96z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
demonspeed

 
demonspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,757
The lid and exhaust are actually pretty rare options for SS's. They were standard on the Firehawks, but the SS was pretty basic.

WU8 is the RPO you'll want to see on the door sticker to verify that it's a real SS. You can also call SLP with the VIN to get its build number and verify if it happened to come with any other options.
__________________
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
motorhead
bars suck
 
motorhead's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: central, Pa
Posts: 7,804
if the drivers door has a WU8 code then its a real SS. There should also be a build number from SLP.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
73camarolt


 
73camarolt's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2010 SS, 73 LT
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 2,326
I have the WU8 code but no SLP sticker? No lid or exhaust. I wish my car SOM. good luck I love my SS.
__________________
2002 Camaro SS- BBK LT's, ORY, SLP Dual-Dual, Lid, Ported TB, 4.11's, Hurst STS, UMI STB, LCA's, Relocation Brackets, SFC's, Adj. Panhard, Chrome ZR1 wheels, All Tuned and Perfected by John at Broadview Automotive.. 354hp and 360tq
73camarolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
demonspeed

 
demonspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73camarolt View Post
I have the WU8 code but no SLP sticker? No lid or exhaust.
I may be mistaken, but I believe by 2002, SLP only added a sticker if Y2Y options were ordered.
__________________
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
73camarolt


 
73camarolt's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2010 SS, 73 LT
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
I may be mistaken, but I believe by 2002, SLP only added a sticker if Y2Y options were ordered.
Makes sense. My dad used to have a SOM SS with no SLP options and had no sticker as well.
__________________
2002 Camaro SS- BBK LT's, ORY, SLP Dual-Dual, Lid, Ported TB, 4.11's, Hurst STS, UMI STB, LCA's, Relocation Brackets, SFC's, Adj. Panhard, Chrome ZR1 wheels, All Tuned and Perfected by John at Broadview Automotive.. 354hp and 360tq
73camarolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #7
96z
Youngest z28 owner.
 
Drives: 1996 Camaro z28
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Humble
Posts: 202
Thanks guys! Hopefully ill be posting pictures of it in my driveway tomorrow!
96z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
73camarolt


 
73camarolt's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2010 SS, 73 LT
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 2,326
Your going to have a lot of people asking for rides lol. It's a lot of fun but be careful. Ive yet to see triple digits in my car. I'm not trying to risk anything.
__________________
2002 Camaro SS- BBK LT's, ORY, SLP Dual-Dual, Lid, Ported TB, 4.11's, Hurst STS, UMI STB, LCA's, Relocation Brackets, SFC's, Adj. Panhard, Chrome ZR1 wheels, All Tuned and Perfected by John at Broadview Automotive.. 354hp and 360tq
73camarolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
SS4Fun
and that it is!!
 
SS4Fun's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SLP ZL575 #70
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 1,019
Are you talking about this SLP lid?
Attached Images
 
__________________
SS4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
demonspeed

 
demonspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,757
Unfortunately, you live in an area where there is just a lot of traffic at all times. You'd have to go quite a bit north on 270 to really open it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Fun View Post
Are you talking about this SLP lid?
No, that's the SLP Performance Parts lid. Below is the SLP "Blackwing" Lid from SLP Engineering.

It was available as a Y2Y option mid-2001 and all through 2002. It was standard on the Firehawk during the same time period, though. It was part of the 345hp package which included either the center mount exhaust or dual/dual.

__________________

Last edited by demonspeed; 03-22-2012 at 09:39 AM.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
Lee0123567
Nope! v6.
 
Lee0123567's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 SOM v6
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ottawa, OH
Posts: 458
As you can see mine is SOM and people always ask me for rides, for me to give it to them, or if they can have it lol
__________________
3" Magnaflow cat-back, MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires, NGK Iridium plugs, KN Air Filter, Halo Headlights, Shaved Air Lid, Chrome ZR1 Rims, SS Hood Scoop/Spoiler


Last edited by Lee0123567; 03-22-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Lee0123567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
demonspeed

 
demonspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee0123567 View Post
As you can see mine is SOM and people always ask me for rides, for me to give it to them, or if they can gave it lol
And then they're sorely disappointed when they realize it's a V6
__________________
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,860
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
http://camaro5.com/forums/showpost.p...postcount=1138
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
demonspeed

 
demonspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,757
It's unfortunate friendly banter is deleted in this forum. I would have thought the smilies to indicate my facetious intentions. We're all adults -- I think we can handle it.
__________________
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
IROCanSS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 89 IROC 350
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Back roads, southern Ohio
Posts: 12,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
It's unfortunate friendly banter is deleted in this forum. I would have thought the smilies to indicate my facetious intentions. We're all adults -- I think we can handle it.
Think again...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:46 AM   #16
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,860
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
It's unfortunate friendly banter is deleted in this forum. I would have thought the smilies to indicate my facetious intentions. We're all adults -- I think we can handle it.
Thats not completely true (we do have some younger members on here), and unfortunately, not everyone on here has thick skin either.

but since you bring up the point of being adults, where is the adult maturity in pointing out that a member has a v6 instead of a v8?

__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #17
IROCanSS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 89 IROC 350
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Back roads, southern Ohio
Posts: 12,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
Thats not completely true (we do have some younger members on here), and unfortunately, not everyone on here has thick skin either.

but since you bring up the point of being adults, where is the adult maturity in pointing out that a member has a v6 instead of a v8?

OK, guess I missed something...


EDIT... my previous post just got majorly edited... at least the key comment was left.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #18
demonspeed

 
demonspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
Thats not completely true (we do have some younger members on here), and unfortunately, not everyone on here has thick skin either.

but since you bring up the point of being adults, where is the adult maturity in pointing out that a member has a v6 instead of a v8?

I respect that we have "under 18" members here, however, my first car, at age 16, was a L98 IROC. While very weak by today's standards, I "drove it like I stole it." These kids are not naive.

As for the V6 comment -- it has nothing to do with maturity. It is the truth. He has a V6. Nothing wrong with that It's a Camaro, he's proud of it, and that's great! However, this is Camaro5 -- someone could tell me how weak my "325hp" LS1 is compared to their 426hp LS3. Aren't adults and near-adults allowed some friendly, and non-threatening, smack talk? It's truly out of fun -- and I'd say the same thing to his face -- and I'd expect it right back!
__________________
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
73camarolt


 
73camarolt's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2010 SS, 73 LT
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 2,326
I love that lid! I want to get one after I do my exhaust. But for me I'm only 17 and this car is like a rocket ship for me. Every now and then I will get on it. Mainly through second gear and lay off. I love my car to much for anything to happen lol. Im sure as I get more used to it, she will want to stretch her legs but for now I am happy.
__________________
2002 Camaro SS- BBK LT's, ORY, SLP Dual-Dual, Lid, Ported TB, 4.11's, Hurst STS, UMI STB, LCA's, Relocation Brackets, SFC's, Adj. Panhard, Chrome ZR1 wheels, All Tuned and Perfected by John at Broadview Automotive.. 354hp and 360tq
73camarolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #20
demonspeed

 
demonspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73camarolt View Post
I love that lid! I want to get one after I do my exhaust. But for me I'm only 17 and this car is like a rocket ship for me. Every now and then I will get on it. Mainly through second gear and lay off. I love my car to much for anything to happen lol. Im sure as I get more used to it, she will want to stretch her legs but for now I am happy.
You're obviously head and shoulders above many of your peers as you recognize and respect the power that you have available to you.

As for that Blackwing lid -- you're best to consider other options. They are treated like gold when they come up for sale -- just check eBay right now. $400+! You can get a SLP "aftermarket" lid for $90.
__________________
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #21
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky
 
CamaroSpike23's Avatar
 
Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 22,860
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
OK, guess I missed something...


EDIT... my previous post just got majorly edited... at least the key comment was left.
you missed a little... not too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
I respect that we have "under 18" members here, however, my first car, at age 16, was a L98 IROC. While very weak by today's standards, I "drove it like I stole it." These kids are not naive.

As for the V6 comment -- it has nothing to do with maturity. It is the truth. He has a V6. Nothing wrong with that It's a Camaro, he's proud of it, and that's great! However, this is Camaro5 -- someone could tell me how weak my "325hp" LS1 is compared to their 426hp LS3. Aren't adults and near-adults allowed some friendly, and non-threatening, smack talk? It's truly out of fun -- and I'd say the same thing to his face -- and I'd expect it right back!
I know right where you are coming from (first car was a 78LT at age 15... was driving a 70 cuda with a 440 six pack by age 16), but that doesnt mean everyone feels the same.

I enjoy the back and forth as much as the next person, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut... we do get reported posts from time to time and just because someone puts a smiley in their post, doesn't mean that they are just joking around.
For us as mods, its usually a lot simpler to edit a post or delete it, then deal with the fall out. Which... I might add is usually not from the person that the post in question is directed at, but another member entirely... kinda like real life (the two people having the conversation don't have any issue with the words being used, but someone else sees/hears it and thats where things go down hill.)


Also... be careful about posting your S's&G's highway fun. It does fall under the street racing category of our rules and I could have given you an infraction for it, but I didn't because I know you were just furthering the conversation.

We're not out to be arrogant overlords of the forum. We are just trying to keep the peace. Sometimes we have to stop the truck when it starts rolling downhill rather than have to clean up the wreck at the bottom.
__________________
Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #22
MMC

 
MMC's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spencerport, NY
Posts: 897
http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/
__________________
MMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #23
Bulldogwinters
SS #2431
 
Bulldogwinters's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Pewter Camaro SS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
You're obviously head and shoulders above many of your peers as you recognize and respect the power that you have available to you.

As for that Blackwing lid -- you're best to consider other options. They are treated like gold when they come up for sale -- just check eBay right now. $400+! You can get a SLP "aftermarket" lid for $90.
Not all off us are bad, however it is definitely a select few "kids" that don't fall into that stereotype. Though in all technicality I'm an adult at 18, I'm still a high school student and still have to deal with the incessant immaturity on a day to day basis. I take better care of my car than the majority of adults that I know. I spent 2 years of my life saving up for my car, there is not way I would ever let my, nor anyone else's, immaturity do anything to put my safety or my car's safety in jeopardy.

I don't really know where I'm going with that ^^ post, just felt like interjecting.

As for the OP, my SS is a WU8 with Y2Y and no second sticker options. The only thing you really need to look for is that WU8 to make sure that it is an actual SS. Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
__________________

2001 SS Lid, LT's, 3" Y to 4" Borla XR-1 dumped, LCA, LCA Brackets, Dbl. Adj. Panhard, Subframe Connectors, Shock Tower Brace, Eibach Prokit, Eddlebrock Shocks, C6 ZR1 Wheels 18x9.5
Bulldogwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #24
OffseT
AkA Maroboy2001
 
OffseT's Avatar
 
Drives: Success
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Not all off us are bad, however it is definitely a select few "kids" that don't fall into that stereotype. Though in all technicality I'm an adult at 18, I'm still a high school student and still have to deal with the incessant immaturity on a day to day basis. I take better care of my car than the majority of adults that I know. I spent 2 years of my life saving up for my car, there is not way I would ever let my, nor anyone else's, immaturity do anything to put my safety or my car's safety in jeopardy.

I don't really know where I'm going with that ^^ post, just felt like interjecting.

As for the OP, my SS is a WU8 with Y2Y and no second sticker options. The only thing you really need to look for is that WU8 to make sure that it is an actual SS. Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
+1 Also theres always fun with a convertible or T-top if the cars not modded!
__________________
OffseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #25
73camarolt


 
73camarolt's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2010 SS, 73 LT
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 2,326
Yea for us younger guys there is a huge stereotype. But i get a ton of conpliments at how clean my car is. They say they can believe how a 10 year old car looks so good. It from alot of time and effort put into the car. To more, my car is my baby lol ask anyone at my school, I love her Lol
__________________
2002 Camaro SS- BBK LT's, ORY, SLP Dual-Dual, Lid, Ported TB, 4.11's, Hurst STS, UMI STB, LCA's, Relocation Brackets, SFC's, Adj. Panhard, Chrome ZR1 wheels, All Tuned and Perfected by John at Broadview Automotive.. 354hp and 360tq
73camarolt is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Washing/Detailing for Newbies MRK III Z28 Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection 114 11-17-2014 01:16 PM
Winner, winner - Jalopnik compares the Big 3 Number 3 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 31 04-17-2011 04:24 PM
Drying after a rain? KLow7777 Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection 7 02-17-2010 11:41 AM
2010 Chevy Camaro SS Indy 500 Pace Car Drive linkwpc Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 0 05-23-2009 10:47 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.