Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #86
REAPER SS
 
REAPER SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CAMARO BLK 2SS/L99
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Birmingham,Al
Posts: 453
This for $100,000= EPIC FAIL!!!
REAPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #87
jklipan
 
jklipan's Avatar
 
Drives: Druid 2SS/RS LS3 Summit White
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 77
I couldn't agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUGG View Post
Saleen needs to stick with the Mustangs.......he does a better job with them. This Camaro looks totally 2nd rate effort. Sure the horsepower is impressive, but then what? A different hood and some extra braking? Saleen seems to think out of the box on the Mustangs, but for the Camaro, it looks very mediocre at best....my thoughts.
At best this looks like a rushed after thought. The other design would have been an effort worthy to call "American Exotic."
Attached Images
 
jklipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #88
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended
 
Drives: pontiac
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Md
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
Saleen fell flat on it's face with this one. $100,000? LAUGH OUT LOUD!

Its a 100k tax right off for charity. no one is saying its a sticker showroom price. its a charity auction.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #89
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended
 
Drives: pontiac
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Md
Posts: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklipan View Post
At best this looks like a rushed after thought. The other design would have been an effort worthy to call "American Exotic."


A Buck toof Camaro.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #90
Supercamaro64
Right, right.
 
Supercamaro64's Avatar
 
Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,351
Meh. I dont see anything special. Id probly rather have a stock camaro. I dont hate it, i just dont especially like it either.
__________________
"You wanna lay the fate of the world on the kids camaro? Thats cool."
"When reporters asked what it was, one official stated, 'It's a small, vicious animal that eats Mustangs.'"
The Creampuff Fleet-
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #91
sub zero

 
sub zero's Avatar
 
Drives: RED@2SS
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UAE
Posts: 1,380
Hey SMS...

U show us before 2 years the concept SMS camaro and after that time u show us know this??? What is this ???
__________________
sub zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:19 PM   #92
Maro99

 
Maro99's Avatar
 
Drives: Heel toe express..
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Charleston, S.C
Posts: 1,501
Wow... Nothing special at all. What a complete failure. More time was spent on the renderings than was spent on the actual car.
__________________
Camaro SOLD :(
Maro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:26 AM   #93
matt
 
matt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss rs
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: modesto
Posts: 37
saleen camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklipan View Post
This concept is wicked! I like the design (save painted wheels and the wing on the back). This is a very cool looking desgin.
that concept came out in 2007 who knows what happened
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:20 AM   #94
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,842
Not a fan :/
__________________

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #95
orangeonwhite
 
orangeonwhite's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PC Socialist WA
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1SS View Post
Wow, I would have thought that this car would have "popped" a little more. I am not really that impresses. Especially for $100,000

if this car brought 100k, paul jr will probably do 80k,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just shows you the bad taste people have in autos and how money /value are a lost art.
__________________
------------------------------------------------
orangeonwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #96
Wondering
 
Wondering's Avatar
 
Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 278
I find it hilarious that all his cars now carry the "SMS" label. The pretentious jerk lost his ass trying to qualify at Indy years back & had to sell his name.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #97
Butcher
 
Drives: '03 MY/MR Z06, '09 Sliver/Red G8 GT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 179
Wow, I'm kinda surprised at how many clueless people are posting in this thread.

The $100,000 was for three things. 1) The name of the car builder. 2) The first car of a production line. 3) For charity. If the person that bought this car payed the full tax rate, they really only would have payed $64,000 for it. They would have saved $36,000 in taxes. Of course the person that bought this car won't pay anywhere near the full tax rate, so this car probably cost them a little over $80,000. By the way, I would bet that Rick Hendick bought this car.

This car probably has more than just a few bolt-ons. If this car is sold through Chevy dealers, it will probably have a 3/36,000 warranty. That means that they didn't just bolt a supercharger on to it. At a minimum they had to upgrade the clutch, and possibly upgrade the half-shafts. Saleen upgraded the body, interior, motor, drivetrain, brakes, suspension and wheels & tires. Steve probably realized that He would have to keep the price point below that of the ZL1. The only way He could charge more than a ZL1 is if his car out-performed the ZL1 in every way. I doubt Chevy would let that happen. The reason it doesn't look like the rendering is because renderings don't have a price point, but actual production cars do. I'll be curious to see what the MSRP is and what the performance numbers are when this car hits the street. But that's what is great about the car culture. If you think that you can build a better car than SMS for less money, then you are more than welcome to try it.
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #98
Maro99

 
Maro99's Avatar
 
Drives: Heel toe express..
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Charleston, S.C
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
Wow, I'm kinda surprised at how many clueless people are posting in this thread.

The $100,000 was for three things. 1) The name of the car builder. 2) The first car of a production line. 3) For charity. If the person that bought this car payed the full tax rate, they really only would have payed $64,000 for it. They would have saved $36,000 in taxes. Of course the person that bought this car won't pay anywhere near the full tax rate, so this car probably cost them a little over $80,000. By the way, I would bet that Rick Hendick bought this car.

This car probably has more than just a few bolt-ons. If this car is sold through Chevy dealers, it will probably have a 3/36,000 warranty. That means that they didn't just bolt a supercharger on to it. At a minimum they had to upgrade the clutch, and possibly upgrade the half-shafts. Saleen upgraded the body, interior, motor, drivetrain, brakes, suspension and wheels & tires. Steve probably realized that He would have to keep the price point below that of the ZL1. The only way He could charge more than a ZL1 is if his car out-performed the ZL1 in every way. I doubt Chevy would let that happen. The reason it doesn't look like the rendering is because renderings don't have a price point, but actual production cars do. I'll be curious to see what the MSRP is and what the performance numbers are when this car hits the street. But that's what is great about the car culture. If you think that you can build a better car than SMS for less money, then you are more than welcome to try it.
You seem to be the clueless one here.. Not much effort put into this car. Basically they Just slapped on some aftermarket parts that was not even made by them and anyone could buy. People were expecting more like what they do with there mustangs. New bumpers, grills, and GFX etc. There are plenty of better built Camaros on this site that cost less.
__________________
Camaro SOLD :(
Maro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #99
Butcher
 
Drives: '03 MY/MR Z06, '09 Sliver/Red G8 GT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maro99 View Post
You seem to be the clueless one here.. Not much effort put into this car. Basically they Just slapped on some aftermarket parts that was not even made by them and anyone could buy. People were expecting more like what they do with there mustangs. New bumpers, grills, and GFX etc. There are plenty of better built Camaros on this site that cost less.

I'm not going to argue with you, but Saleen NEVER built a Mustang similar to the rendering of that Camaro. For a long time Saleen Mustangs were just bumper covers, ground effects and rear wings. He didn't change the hood, and He NEVER changed the doors and rear quarter panels. It will come down to MSRP and performance. If the car stickers for just under $50,000 and has performance equal to, or greater than a BOSS 302 and a GT 500, then it should do well. If not, they probably won't move many.

By the way, please show me a car similar to this for less money. Which car on this site has 620 HP, similar body mods, interior mods, wheels and tires, better brakes, better suspension and a 3/36,000 warranty? That car also has to cost around $50,000. Keep in mind that you're buying a complete car, so none of the work can be done buy the owner. You would have to pay labor costs for all of the modifications.
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #100
Maro99

 
Maro99's Avatar
 
Drives: Heel toe express..
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Charleston, S.C
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
I'm not going to argue with you, but Saleen NEVER built a Mustang similar to the rendering of that Camaro. For a long time Saleen Mustangs were just bumper covers, ground effects and rear wings. He didn't change the hood, and He NEVER changed the doors and rear quarter panels. It will come down to MSRP and performance. If the car stickers for just under $50,000 and has performance equal to, or greater than a BOSS 302 and a GT 500, then it should do well. If not, they probably won't move many.

By the way, please show me a car similar to this for less money. Which car on this site has 620 HP, similar body mods, interior mods, wheels and tires, better brakes, better suspension and a 3/36,000 warranty? That car also has to cost around $50,000. Keep in mind that you're buying a complete car, so none of the work can be done buy the owner. You would have to pay labor costs for all of the modifications.
Now I see why you are so confused.. If you think this car will be selling for just under 50k you are out of your mind.. They took the base model 1SS without the RS package and and slapped on some bolt on parts that can all be found on Ebay. My guess is this car will retail for close to 60k or better with all of the options showed in the pics and because of the Saleen name plate. The rendering looked nice, but that is not anything close to what the final product is. They did not put much effort into the appearance of this car at all. If it had been a mustang they would have gone all out with custom bumpers and GFX kits as they always have. I have always liked the look of Saleen Mustangs but this is nothing more than a pathetic attempt of bolting on parts that weren't even made by them and attaching a brand name to it so they can sell them for a high price. Really the only thing custom is the hood and there are alot better looking ones on the market IMO. It was as if they looked at the rendering and said to them selves, "man that looks like alot of work. Forget it lets just buy other peoples parts and bolt them on instead". lol
__________________
Camaro SOLD :(
Maro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #101
Maro99

 
Maro99's Avatar
 
Drives: Heel toe express..
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Charleston, S.C
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS;
The SMS 620 Camaro has a striking design that makes it stand out in the market. Chief Creative Officer of SMS, Phil Frank notes, “We have incorporated our well-known functional SMS Red ButterflyDual Side Induction Hoodas well as our race-proven aerodynamics in this third vehicle in our SMS Signature Series. The SMS 620 Camaro is a dramatic and iconic visual statement that very clearly bears the SMS design DNA.”

Striking design and a dramatic iconic visual statement?
All that they designed was a hood.. lol You have got to be kidding me. I could pick out 50 Camaros on this site that look way better than his "Striking design and a dramatic iconic visual statement" What a joke.
__________________
Camaro SOLD :(
Maro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #102
Butcher
 
Drives: '03 MY/MR Z06, '09 Sliver/Red G8 GT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maro99 View Post
Now I see why you are so confused.. If you think this car will be selling for just under 50k you are out of your mind.. They took the base model 1SS without the RS package and and slapped on some bolt on parts that can all be found on Ebay. My guess is this car will retail for close to 60k or better with all of the options showed in the pics and because of the Saleen name plate. The rendering looked nice, but that is not anything close to what the final product is. They did not put much effort into the appearance of this car at all. If it had been a mustang they would have gone all out with custom bumpers and GFX kits as they always have. I have always liked the look of Saleen Mustangs but this is nothing more than a pathetic attempt of bolting on parts that weren't even made by them and attaching a brand name to it so they can sell them for a high price. Really the only thing custom is the hood and there are alot better looking ones on the market IMO. It was as if they looked at the rendering and said to them selves, "man that looks like alot of work. Forget it lets just buy other peoples parts and bolt them on instead". lol

Well, if the car stickers for $60,000 or more, you won't have to worry about seeing them on the street. Nobody will pay that much for a car that isn't any better than a ZL1. If you add the 2SS option and the RS option, then that car will sticker for about the same as a very nicely equipped Grand Sport Corvette. I don't see a market for a car like that. By the way, that body kit would add well over $10,000 to the price. I can't see anyone spending Z06 money for a car that can't out-perform a ZL1. Time will tell...
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UFC Camaro Limited Edition unveiled in Vegas SSIN Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 89 10-22-2010 06:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.