Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #26
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@Lingenfelter View Post
Corbeau LG1 seats. We used their bolt-in seat tracks as well. Changing the seats saved approximately 150 pounds over the factory seats.
I thought this quote was worth another look. Yeah, 150 lbs savings. HUGE!

If that is the case;
150 - seats
30 - exhaust
10 - washer fluid bottle
20 - 2 piece rotors
Anything else?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #27
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: '13 WRX STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
At this point there is not a whole lot that can be done for weight reduction without re-engineering and costly and/or exotic materials. It is what it is, the weight of the 5th gen Camaro cannot be radically altered at this point in time unless buyers are willing to pay a very substantial premium.
Clyde
a little price increase wouldn't hurt the 1LE. if its priced similar to the Boss its gonna do just fine.

and plus most people gonna be buying the 1LE are Hrdcore Track people and somebody that knows what the car is really for. those people are most of the time willing to pay a little extra.

if GM priced the 1LE at $45-$48k I personally think thats fair. Do you seriously believe that its gonna be under $40k? the Fully loaded SS sells for $39k. GM is not stupid. why buy the SS if you can have the Better one for a $1k difference?
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #28
Gramps69Z
Still waiting on the Z

Drives: 69 Z/28, 06 Denali, 09 CTS
Send a message via AIM to Gramps69Z Send a message via Yahoo to Gramps69Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I thought this quote was worth another look. Yeah, 150 lbs savings. HUGE!

If that is the case;
150 - seats
30 - exhaust
10 - washer fluid bottle
20 - 2 piece rotors
Anything else?
I'll have to keep my girlfriend out of it.
2009 Cadillac CTS

The Six Old Guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
The last thing we want is to ship something that isn't right.

Last edited by Gramps69Z; 07-28-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Gramps69Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #29
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
if GM priced the 1LE at $45-$48k I personally think thats fair. Do you seriously believe that its gonna be under $40k? the Fully loaded SS sells for $39k. GM is not stupid. why buy the SS if you can have the Better one for a $1k difference?
Simple. The SS ride quality is awesome. The 1LE ride quality is probably going to suffer. I personally wouldn't pay that much more for a 1LE especially with a track pack on a mustang GT costing $2500. Remember at that price the BOSS is essentially a whole new engine with completely forged internals and more power. Don't get me wrong. New gear ratios is nice as is transmission cooling and suspension, but that only brings so much value.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #30
Fraxum

Drives: 2013 TT IOM 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
a little price increase wouldn't hurt the 1LE. if its priced similar to the Boss its gonna do just fine.

and plus most people gonna be buying the 1LE are Hrdcore Track people and somebody that knows what the car is really for. those people are most of the time willing to pay a little extra.

The way the 1LE info was worded it is an SS option. So they are saying 1SS + 1LE is under $40K. Probably not by much. If you want to load up the 1LE with 2SS, RS, sun roof, and NAV then you are probably talking $47,500 (my guess).

The 1LE Inferno build thread
More Seat Time. Thinking the 1LE is a keeper.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #31
cbass

Quote:
If I remember correctly, a LS3 crate engine is rated at 485 hp @flywheel thru GMPP.
Interesting....what's the difference? Different cams? A non-epa tune? Other parts?

Quote:
150 - seats
Damn. 150 lbs just for different seats?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #32
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Interesting....what's the difference? Different cams? A non-epa tune? Other parts?

Damn. 150 lbs just for different seats?
no accessories, and whatever intake and exhaust they wanted to throw on it at the time. probably one that flows better then most would once installed.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #33
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:

That's what the Z28 is for. The 1LE is priced and built appropriately.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #34
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:

Why make a price increase.....????? And "track people" are more susceptible to paying a premium? Realy? They announced the price, so ...it is what it is. maybe you can't accept that. Your pricing is above base anyway. Take your fishing gear elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps69Z View Post
....at least of of the car....
Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #35
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps69Z View Post
Why???
Old 04-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #36
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Why???
...well, ....because....ummmmm....I've been down that road before.......
Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #37
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:

You REALLY lost me on that one. Especially since this is a Z28 thread.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #38
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Why make a price increase.....????? And "track people" are more susceptible to paying a premium? Realy? They announced the price, so ...it is what it is. maybe you can't accept that. Your pricing is above base anyway. Take your fishing gear elsewhere.
Exactly!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #39
GEEo
OKCamaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
The way the 1LE info was worded it is an SS option. So they are saying 1SS + 1LE is under $40K. Probably not by much. If you want to load up the 1LE with 2SS, RS, sun roof, and NAV then you are probably talking $47,500 (my guess).
I guess.

I'm just saying that Instead of investing the money on the Nav, and fancy uneccesary equipment GM should've focused more on making the car light weight, balanced, and be a track monster. I personally think that making the 1LE a light weight track built car instead of just an option package for the SS would've been better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
That's what the Z28 is for. The 1LE is priced and built appropriately.
I don't know about the Z28 but if the Z28 is something like the GT3 RS that would be great. But I doubt that there's gunna be one. I think this it. And maybe GM makes the 1LE a stripped down Street Legal Race car. I guess will not know what the 1LE is exactly gunna be till it comes out.

All we can do is wait.

Quote:
You REALLY lost me on that one. Especially since this is a Z28 thread.
The thread tittle said 1LE Horsepower. idk where you got Z28 thread.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #40
Fraxum

I hope we get that 1LE section soon. I will hang out there. I want one and it's at the limits of what I won't feel guilty about spending. Anyone else feel that guilt? And here I am a supposed Track liking guy.

But I will come back here to envy the LS7 Z28 with MRC and Recaro options once it is built.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #41
Fraxum

Quote:
The thread tittle said 1LE Horsepower. idk where you got Z28 thread.
Hoping for a 1LE section soon. But this is the Z28 forum.

And the 1LE is not a Z28 and it is not a ZL1. And something different than an SS.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #42
GEEo
OKCamaros

Quote:
Hoping for a 1LE section soon. But this is the Z28 forum.

And the 1LE is not a Z28 and it is not a ZL1. And something different than an SS.
I just reliezed that. Lol. My apologies.

I know that the 1LE is not the Z28 or ZL1 or SS. But I wus just really hopping that the 1LE would be the car that would have the Recaro Seat, stripped down interior, light weght, and Track Built suspension.

I guess the 1LE is not what I expected it to be.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #43
Fraxum

Quote:
I just reliezed that. Lol. My apologies.

I know that the 1LE is not the Z28 or ZL1 or SS. But I wus just really hopping that the 1LE would be the car that would have the Recaro Seat stripped down interior, light weght, and Track Built suspension.

I guess the 1LE is not what I expected it to be.
No worries. It will have the last thing you mentioned and it will also have a number of other track upgrades. Looks good to me for the price.

But that Track Animal you are describing is what the Z28 faithful are hoping for. Not sure about the stripped down interior. That is an easy DIY. I saw somewhere else the Camaro front seats are incredibly heavy.

That lighter Camaro is coming later. Too expensive to do much with this one me thinks.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #44
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Sorry I meant the Z28 section. Taking the car and doing some personalizing is part of the excitement. I listed my plans above.

And Fraxum I'm with you on price it's part of the reason I won't buy a ZL1. That and I want my Camaro to be NA.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #45
GEEo
OKCamaros

Quote:
No worries. It will have the last thing you mentioned and it will also have a number of other track upgrades. Looks good to me for the price.

But that Track Animal you are describing is what the Z28 faithful are hoping for. Not sure about the stripped down interior. That is an easy DIY. I saw somewhere else the Camaro front seats are incredibly heavy.

That lighter Camaro is coming later. Too expensive to do much with this one me thinks.
Ohh yea the stock seat are very heavy.

I guess we'll just have wait for the next Version of the Camaro. hopefully it's the track monster were hopping for. I dont really care what's its gunna get called but if it's like a GT3 RS version Camaro I would be interested.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #46
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter

Drives: 1SS/1LE...in 2014
Quote:
Ohh yea the stock seat are very heavy.

I guess we'll just have wait for the next Version of the Camaro. hopefully it's the track monster were hopping for. I dont really care what's its gunna get called but if it's like a GT3 RS version Camaro I would be interested.
Does anybody know the exact weight for each seat?
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Next Camaro:
CRT 1SS/RS/1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #47
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

I dont but that's a good question. They obviously are much more than most thought they'd be. No wonder why they use a lift to install them at the factory. Seems getting a 1LE down to Mustang GT weight is possible with a few changes.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #48
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Not to question anyone's stats or intent, but here's a listing of GEN-FOUR CAMARO components, throughout the car:

http://www.lt1engines.com/tech/camar...f-body-weight/

Driver's 6-way Power Leather Seat = 42 lb.
Passanger's non-powered seat = 34lb.
Passanger Air Bag = 17 lb. (includes bracket)
Driver's Air Bag = 10 lb. (which is likely the weight of the seat bags)

So, removing TWO 6-way Seats (from a Gen-5) that contain TWO Air Bags is gonna total a bit over 100 total, imho. Add back the weight of the replacements (and their tracks/adjusters/adaptors), and you have a net weight loss of (maybe) 50-70 lb... One-piece seats will weigh less, but offer NO recline adjustment beyond fore-aft. Two-piece aftermarket seats, with adjustable seatbacks, will diminish the weight savings further. And typical aftermarket seats are NOT air bag-equipped.

Notice the difference in weight between non-powered and powered seats...6.9 lb/ea, so 1LS seats would save 14 lb (with Air Bags) over 1SS seats, while maintaining OE safety standards for street driving.

Notice deleting the rear seats (29 lb) and belts/retractors (5 lb) = less than ONE front seat...

Notice the A/C compressor and condensor, and Power Windows/Locks/Keyless weigh a total of 32 lb...which pops the "urban myth" that Gen-4 1LE F-cars weighed a LOT less...they didn't!

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 04-03-2012 at 11:37 AM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #49
cbass

Quote:
I dont but that's a good question. They obviously are much more than most thought they'd be. No wonder why they use a lift to install them at the factory. Seems getting a 1LE down to Mustang GT weight is possible with a few changes.
Are both the leather and cloth seats the same weight?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #50
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
For your edification:

Engine Compartment
460.9 lbs – LT1 (5.7L) Manual with oil and flywheel
428.8 lbs – L36 (3.8L) Manual with oil and flywheel
405.5 lbs – LT1 (5.7L) Auto with oil and flexplate
391.2 lbs – L36 (3.8L) Auto with oil and flexplate
40 lbs – Optima red-top battery (sounds heavy???)
32 lbs – Madman manual rack & PA chromemoly k-member
25 lbs – Pair of stock manifolds with AIR tubes off LT1
18 lbs – AC compressor with lines
18 lbs – ATI 3 core F-Body intercooler
17 lbs – AC compressor with lines
14 lbs – Dyna Battery
12 lbs – Plastic insulation on firewall
12 lbs – ATI 2 core F-Body intercooler
11 lbs – Full windshield washer reservoir
10 lbs – ABS unit
9 lbs – AC condensor
9 lbs – AC condensor with accumulator
8-9 lbs – OEM motor mounts (pair)
8 lbs – Bracket for PS/AC compressor
7 lbs – Competition Engineer solid motor mounts
7 lbs – AIR pump hoses and bracket
4.4 lbs – Cruise control
3 lbs – EGR valve and aluminum tube
3 lbs – Wiper motor
3 lbs – BMR 2 point strut tower brace
3 lbs – All exhaust heat shields
2 lbs – Factory oil cooler lines
1.5 lbs – Horns (pair)
1lbs – Heater core lines

Drive Train
190 lbs – Moser 9″ (3.250 bearing) w/35 spline axles, Strange nodular iron section, full spool, 3:70 gears, no oil
135 lbs – Stock 7.5 rear end w/3.73 gears and oil
40 lbs – Centerforce heavy flywheel
35 lbs – Vigilante torque coverter new in box (inc box!)
34 lbs – Steel 2pc V6 driveshaft including center bearing carrier
28 lbs – A TH400 with 9″ converter is 28 lbs lighter than the 4L60E
20.5 lbs – LT1 stock flywheel
20 lbs – LT1 stock flywheel
16 lbs – Stock steel LT1 driveshaft
12.5 lbs – TPiS lightweight flywheel
12.2 lbs – 3rd gen aluminum 1LE driveshaft
12 lbs – LPE aluminum driveshaft
11.5 lbs – Stock aluminum LS1 driveshaft
10 lbs – RK Sport aluminum 1pc driveshaft
10 lbs – ??? brand lightweight flywheel
4 lbs – Transmission tunnel insulation

Wheels & Tires
58 lbs – AFS chrome 17×11 GS offset wheel with new Dunlop SP8000 315/35/17 tire
56 lbs – AFS chrome 17×11 GS offset wheel with BALD Dunlop SP8000 315/35/17 tire
56 lbs – 18×9 chrome Cobra R replica wheels with 285/35/18 tires
55 lbs – AFS silver 17×11 GS offset ZR1 wheel with new tire
55 lbs – 17″ Prime chrome 5 Stars with 275/40 tire
55 lbs – 17″ chrome Firewhawk wheel with new tire
54.5 lbs – Replica SS wheel with Khumo 712 275/40 tire
52 lbs – AFS chrome 17×9.5 ZR1 wheel with new Dunlop SP8000 275/40/17 tire
50 lbs – OZ Monte Carlo 17×9.5 with 1/3 tread 275 GSC
50 lbs – AFS polished 17×11 GS offset ZR1 wheel with new 315 BFG Comp TA drag radial
48 lbs – 16×8 stock chrome 5 star with Kuhma Estca Supra 712 tires (V rated)
45 lbs – 99 TA stock 16″ chrome wheels and tire (SZ 50)
44 lbs – 93-96 Camaro wheel with Nitto drag
41.5 lbs – 93-96 Camaro wheel with bald 255 BFG drag radial
40 lbs – Weld Pro Star (15×10) with new Hoosier QTP 28×11.5-15 (no tube)
35.3 lbs – New Dunlop SP8000 315/35/17 tire
31 lbs – New Dunlop SP8000 315/35/17 tire – hmm?
31 lbs – Kumho Victoracers 275/40/17 tire
30 lbs – New Dunlop SP8000 275/40/17 tire
29 lbs – 97 to 99 Vette standard rear wheel
28 lbs – Kumho Victoracers 315/35/17 tire
27 lbs – Weld Pro Stars (15×3.5) with Cooper 165R tire
27 lbs – 18×9 chrome Cobra R replica wheel
25.5 lbs – Hoosier A3S03 Autocross tire 315/35-17
25 lbs – Firestone SZ50EP stock size tire
25 lbs – New Futura 275/40/17 tire
24.5 lbs – Goodyear GSC 245/50/16 tire
24 lbs – 97 to 99 Vette magnesium rear wheel
22.5 lbs – Hoosier A3S03 Autocross tire 275/40-17
22 lbs – 90 Vette stock wheel 17×9.5
22 lbs – Hoosier R3S03 275/45/16 tire
22 lbs – 01 Camaro SS 17×9 wheel
22 lbs – 2 piece Centerline Sabre type 17×9.5 wheel
21.5 lbs – 97 to 99 Vette 18×9.5 wheel
20.06 lbs – 00 Vette standard rear wheel
20.5 lbs – OE ZR1 17×9.5 wheel
20.5 lbs – AFS replica 16″ SS wheel
20.1lbs – 97 to 99 Vette magnesium front wheel
20 lbs – CCW 17×10 wheel
20 lbs – CCW 17×11 wheel
20 lbs – 3 piece Centerline Sabre 17×9.5 wheel
19.5 lbs – 1996 stock Camaro wheel
19.5 lbs – Stock 5 star 16″ Z28 wheel
19 lbs – 2000 stock Camaro wheel
19 lbs – 97 to 99 Vette 17×8.5 wheel
18-19 lbs – Centerline 17×9.5 wheel
18.08 lbs – 00 Vette standard front wheel
18 lbs – Fiske FM5 17×9.5 wheel
17 lbs – 2000+ stock Camaro wheel (different than above?)
13 lbs – Weld Pro Star (15×8)
10 lbs – Weld Pro Star (15×3.5)
10 lbs – Bogart DragStar 15×10 racing wheel

Interior
65 lbs – Wolfe weld-in 6pt. roll bar
42 lbs – 1997 Camaro front leather power seat
40 lbs – Carpet with the sound deadener
38 lbs – Spare tire and jack
36 lbs – Spare tire and jack
34 lbs – Passenger seat
32 lbs – 1997 Camaro front leather manual seat
29 lbs – Rear seats