Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
TBGreen40
 
Drives: 2011 Black 2SS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shreveport
Posts: 33
STOCK TUNE

I know this question has been asked a million time so don't kill me, but can the dealership tell if you have tuned and re-tuned to stock when you take it in?
__________________
2011 2SS LS3, Side LED markers, 1" lowering springs, Phantom grille, Dynatech Longtube Headers, CAI intake, Jannetty Blower Cam, Jannetty SCT Tune and.....
TBGreen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,592
The ECM has a flash counter. Every time you tune, retune, or revert back to the stock tune you increase the counter. If that counter does not coincide with the number GM has, then yes they will be able to tell.

It should also be said that they only check the tune for major repairs or replacements involving the engine or drive train.

Also, personally with a cam installed I would not be willing to risk running the stock tune. You could very well cause more damage then what you originally had when you take the car in.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBGreen40 View Post
I know this question has been asked a million time so don't kill me, but can the dealership tell if you have tuned and re-tuned to stock when you take it in?
yes.

/thread


If you tune your car, GM can tell. Doesn't matter if you flash it back to stock. If you tune your car even just one time - your warranty is gone
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
TBGreen40
 
Drives: 2011 Black 2SS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shreveport
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
The ECM has a flash counter. Every time you tune, retune, or revert back to the stock tune you increase the counter. If that counter does not coincide with the number GM has, then yes they will be able to tell.

It should also be said that they only check the tune for major repairs or replacements involving the engine or drive train.

Also, personally with a cam installed I would not be willing to risk running the stock tune. You could very well cause more damage then what you originally had when you take the car in.
Oky dok. Since oil changes will not provoke them to check the the flash counter, I will not worry. If the motor grenades, I'm not taking it to GM anyway. I just don't want them giving me shit if a blinker goes out or the radio has problems.
__________________
2011 2SS LS3, Side LED markers, 1" lowering springs, Phantom grille, Dynatech Longtube Headers, CAI intake, Jannetty Blower Cam, Jannetty SCT Tune and.....
TBGreen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP
 
Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBGreen40 View Post
Oky dok. Since oil changes will not provoke them to check the the flash counter, I will not worry. If the motor grenades, I'm not taking it to GM anyway. I just don't want them giving me shit if a blinker goes out or the radio has problems.
They will not void your bumper to bumper warranty. Tuning voids your engine/powertrain warranty. Tuning your car has nothing to do with the stereo breaking or the window motor failing, etc. They'd have to prove it did and I'd like to see them try and prove that one.
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
TBGreen40
 
Drives: 2011 Black 2SS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shreveport
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherSS View Post
They will not void your bumper to bumper warranty. Tuning voids your engine/powertrain warranty. Tuning your car has nothing to do with the stereo breaking or the window motor failing, etc. They'd have to prove it did and I'd like to see them try and prove that one.
Can't they make a case that tuning can affect other electronic signals, resulting in bad lights, or anything electrical, etc etc?

I knew I was on my own with the engine though.
__________________
2011 2SS LS3, Side LED markers, 1" lowering springs, Phantom grille, Dynatech Longtube Headers, CAI intake, Jannetty Blower Cam, Jannetty SCT Tune and.....
TBGreen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP
 
Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBGreen40 View Post
Can't they make a case that tuning can affect other electronic signals, resulting in bad lights, or anything electrical, etc etc?

I knew I was on my own with the engine though.
Well i highly doubt they are going to check for a tune when performing work that isn't related to the engine/drivetrain. And I don't think they would do that I have had plenty of warranty related work done and I'm tuned. I wouldn't worry about it.
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
TBGreen40
 
Drives: 2011 Black 2SS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shreveport
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherSS View Post
Well i highly doubt they are going to check for a tune when performing work that isn't related to the engine/drivetrain. And I don't think they would do that I have had plenty of warranty related work done and I'm tuned. I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks!
__________________
2011 2SS LS3, Side LED markers, 1" lowering springs, Phantom grille, Dynatech Longtube Headers, CAI intake, Jannetty Blower Cam, Jannetty SCT Tune and.....
TBGreen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBGreen40 View Post
Can't they make a case that tuning can affect other electronic signals, resulting in bad lights, or anything electrical, etc etc?

I knew I was on my own with the engine though.
Tuning? No.

Electrical only be an issue if you purchased something electrical (lights, motors, etc) and to power them you tapped them to an existing wire. Now if you was to have any problems with whatever that wire went to from factory, they could claim that your mod put an excessive load on that item which caused it to fail.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
AiRDawG
 
AiRDawG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 229
Good point on tuning only voiding the powertrain warranty. So, in that same vein, what about my air conditioner not blowing cold after getting tuned? It seems that it's just a case of re-flashing the Body Control Module, but how do you think this would fall in regard to bumper-to-bumper or powertrain warranties?
AiRDawG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiRDawG View Post
Good point on tuning only voiding the powertrain warranty. So, in that same vein, what about my air conditioner not blowing cold after getting tuned? It seems that it's just a case of re-flashing the Body Control Module, but how do you think this would fall in regard to bumper-to-bumper or powertrain warranties?
If I'm not mistaken this falls under your bumper to bumper.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #12
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

 
JANNETTYRACING's Avatar
 
Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ON THE DYNO WATERBURY CT.
Posts: 11,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBGreen40 View Post
I know this question has been asked a million time so don't kill me, but can the dealership tell if you have tuned and re-tuned to stock when you take it in?
Yes and the cam might give you away also
__________________
Technical information, Parts Sales, Professional Installation, and Custom Dyno Tuning.
Please vist our web sites for all your performance needs!
Ted Jannetty
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #13
LonghornLove
My Grille so Icey
 
LonghornLove's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pearland, Tx
Posts: 217




:bangdesk:

HAHA J/K. everyone was a newbie at one point!

They won't check for something minor, anything big (engine, transmission, etc...) they will.

I'm convinced my local dealership would be too stupid to know anything about it.
They can't even tighten cats to the exhaust or put the plastic trim on the dash on better.(it was falling off, went to dealer to get it fixed, month later fail off). I'll stop there bc the list goes on and on.

With that said, I do remember hearing someone say someone from GM comes and checks the car for major repairs



WELCOME!
__________________
Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers and exhaust sytem, CAI. cai w/ADM scoop, JRE tune.

L99
LonghornLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
TBGreen40
 
Drives: 2011 Black 2SS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shreveport
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Yes and the cam might give you away also
Right! Hahaha nice one. The reason I asked was because I could return to stock(cam and everything) if something came up.
__________________
2011 2SS LS3, Side LED markers, 1" lowering springs, Phantom grille, Dynatech Longtube Headers, CAI intake, Jannetty Blower Cam, Jannetty SCT Tune and.....
TBGreen40 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unofficial 1/4 Mile (V8) 2010+ Camaro Fast List Merc Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 250 04-01-2014 10:40 AM
First Ever DOUBLE DIN (monitor / screen) NO LONGER AVAILABLE**** Hess RS Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum 992 06-12-2013 11:13 PM
Manual vs Auto GTAHVIT vs PQ... The video wars. 76z28 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 443 08-26-2010 12:26 PM
LS3 goes 11`s Bonestock! GMRULZ Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 28 12-08-2008 09:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.