Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
73vette

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, 1973 Corvette
Exclamation clunking front shocks/struts

I swapped a set of 2011 SS struts/springs in the front on my stock V6.

While the strut was out, I tightened the spring perch retaining nut all the way down on the spring, to make sure I would have enough thread up top to twist the upper nut cover onto, and it all seemed to go pretty well.

Now I can hear my front suspension when I go over bumps - something sounds loose (but I used air tools except the upper nut.
Any idea why it would sound that way?
It also drives straight down the road still..

I had 40,000 silent miles on the car yesterday, and today it is noisy as hell driving over a bumpy parking lot. It's quiet if the road is nice and smooth.

Do I need to loosen the spring perch retaining nut? I'm probably going to do the toilet mod tonight if no one chimes in. Tonight I am also going to re-verify everything is super tight with the impact wrench.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
I put 2011 SS struts on mine with springs from a 2010SS and its been all solid since.

Are the springs still seated? Also have a helper hold the strut stem while you tighten that 24mm strut retainer bolt on top- its supposed to be torqued to 52ft/lbs or so, tuff to do by yourself!

Be sure to double check the swaybar endlink connections at top and bottom as well, as that is the most common source of noise on these cars.

Toilet mod should not be necessary...
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, SS struts/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing sways, Pedders radius arm & rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
lift the nose up and try to wobble. sounds like a steering linkage to me.