Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Big cubes and fi tend to have high coolant temps
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #16
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBAD454 View Post
Here you go, 509 CI with Procharger.

that car is ugly as a mud duck but damn fast!!!

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #17
RSBAD454
Procharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to RSBAD454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
that car is ugly as a mud duck but damn fast!!!

Matter of opinion, I like it.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #18
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
The one thing I learned is that by going with an LSX427 and using an F1R that there was too much motor for the blower thus making the blower spin at max rpm and not producing enough boost. Since I decided to stay with my LSX427 I am now going with a larger blower to match the motor more efficiently. If I had to do it over I would follow Bruces route as its much easier to squeeze out higher boost.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #19
Fiftydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBAD454 View Post
Matter of opinion, I like it.
Tell you what, it looks alot better after you see it run the 1/4 mile then it looks before you see it run

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #20
Fiftydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK10 View Post
Big cubes and fi tend to have high coolant temps
That would make sense......

Starting to look like there are just easier ways to make big power is the reason.

More to come!!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #21
Fiftydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
The one thing I learned is that by going with an LSX427 and using an F1R that there was too much motor for the blower thus making the blower spin at max rpm and not producing enough boost. Since I decided to stay with my LSX427 I am now going with a larger blower to match the motor more efficiently. If I had to do it over I would follow Bruces route as its much easier to squeeze out higher boost.
I would imagine that stepping up in blower size gets MUCH more expensive as well!!! The reasons are becoming clear why big displacements engines are not that common, at least not for FI set ups.

More to come!!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #22
blackonblacksls

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Bores over 4.155ish and strokes over 4in in a short deck build give up strength in the piston and head gasket sealing.

Go with a tall deck and you got some pretty serious forced induction motors in the 460ish range.
blackonblacksls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #23
jay@redline-motorsports
Account Suspended

Drives: 930
if you go with a bigger motor then it will make more on motor and not have to spin the blower as hard to make a number, and if you run out of blower thats not a bad problem just go turbo
jay@redline-motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #24
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
Wise choice ,when will it be on the track?
Trying to get it back for Pony Wars in May. It's gonna be close. Hope to see you there again. (Saw you at the last one in the fall)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
So you started with a 454 and simply shortened the stroke to end up with a 388? Interesting!!! I have always wondered, for example, would a 388 combo with long stroke, small bore produce the same HP/Torque as a 388 combo with short stroke, large bore?????

I would think your set up would rev like wild and be hell for stout!!!
Kind of. We went through a bunch of power curves and simulations. For best overall 'driveability' meaning street manners and good HP, we ended up with the 388. It is basically a 4.125 bore with a stock length stroke, but with pro-mod bottom end parts. If we were shooting for 2,000 - 2,200 HP, it would have been a de-stroked RHS setup that was in the 440-450 ci range. The present shift point is 7200. That is with less cam duration. Open up the cam a little and the shift point climbs quickly but is not so streetable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
J is dead on in that the bigger the motor, the bigger the blower. He now has both so LOOK OUT, because the power will be sick. Oh and a little nitrous to boot !

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblacksls View Post
Bores over 4.155ish and strokes over 4in in a short deck build give up strength in the piston and head gasket sealing.

Go with a tall deck and you got some pretty serious forced induction motors in the 460ish range.
Yes, you get a lot of piston speed and sealing gets tougher with the FI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay@redline-motorsports View Post
if you go with a bigger motor then it will make more on motor and not have to spin the blower as hard to make a number, and if you run out of blower thats not a bad problem just go turbo
Big motors with blowers make sick street cars... The torque is usually ridiculous... P.S. PM me sometime Jay, I have a question for you now that RedLine is in Florida. Thx !
Old 04-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #25
motorhead

Drives: Stormtrooper
I think the biggest reason is that newer cars fit small motors betters. If you go to the drags, you'll see that people who are running old cars still use big blocks to go fast. Top fuel, funny car, and pro stock still all run big block based motors.

That 64 plymouth in my sig has a 440 that is stroked. Case in point. I would get laughed at if I had a small block in it.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote