Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #85
Meister@Torq

 
Drives: 2001 Crown Vic
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Miami
Posts: 974
Send a message via AIM to Meister@Torq Send a message via MSN to Meister@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
FWIW - I found an article in GMHTP where Redline tested meth' on their HTR850-car, with a 3.6L KB. That car was having issues with heat soak at 17 psi (427 ci) and the PCM was pulling a lot of timing. Anyways - Tanner installed a stage II system and nozzles in the inlet, behind the TB, in front of the blower inlet, and they gained almost literally 100 RWHP back from the meth cooling the charge. I'm not sure it this is normal, however, that's what the test results were. I believe this was a February or March issue of this year. Take it for what it's worth http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...eat/index.html

I'm sorry Torq to bring another Sponsor in, but it was somewhat related. No disrespect intended

Respectfully...
No disrespect at all. The KB is a totally different animal with the massive plenum area behind the TB that is also cast and destined for heat soak problems plus their poor heat exchanger design. Methanol should not be the way to fix the ZL1 heat soak problems. I would add a heat exchanger (which we have finished) and a nice intercooler reservoir (which we have finished)
Meister@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #86
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister@Torq View Post
No disrespect at all. The KB is a totally different animal with the massive plenum area behind the TB that is also cast and destined for heat soak problems plus their poor heat exchanger design.
Thank you for understanding
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.1:1 408 LQ4 (K1 crank & rods; Mahle pistons)/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam and valvetrain/home ported L92 intake manifold/ported 90mm TB/custom Volant CAI/mid-length headers/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/e'fan conversion/aluminum radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners by me/LED exterior lighting/Pioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #87
Big Top Gt
Account Suspended
 
Drives: IOM 2010 2SS/RS (LS3)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Florida, 33071
Posts: 677
Send a message via AIM to Big Top Gt Send a message via Skype™ to Big Top Gt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister@Torq View Post
No disrespect at all. The KB is a totally different animal with the massive plenum area behind the TB that is also cast and destined for heat soak problems plus their poor heat exchanger design. Methanol should not be the way to fix the ZL1 heat soak problems. I would add a heat exchanger (which we have finished) and a nice intercooler reservoir (which we have finished)
So what's the word on your AutoCad and SEMA transfer status? Can you post up some renderings? It looks like you missed my last post, but I've got some really cool stuff in development and we're always looking for new partners.

If you're not authorized vendors/members, no harm/no foul. I assume I misunderstood an earlier post.



Now regarding you're suggestion that meth isn't the way to go, I think it really depens on what you're considering to be "right".

I think we'd all agree that our first choice is a more efficient heat exchanger, but given the physical limitations of available space, we might not always be able to get the huge intercooler/aftercooler setups stuffed into the car where we need them.

That having been said, and taking a step outside the laws of space and time, it still doesn't change the fact that even with the best inter/after cooler setup in the world, a meth system will further reduce the intake charge temps.

You guys are tuners, so you know better than anyone how that lets your run more timing while minimizing your exposure to a propensity for knock. (read: detonation.)

Personally, I think a meth kit is something most forced induction cars in consistently hot climates like ours (south Florida) should run as an added margin of safety even with the BEST setup available.

Heat exchangers, specicfically, begin to lose efficiency as soon as the fluid heats up. (which we all know happens as soon as you start the car.)

Even at idle, most people would be shocked by some of the intake temps we were seeing in my Blown Saleen S281-SC. (and those guys are the kings of slapping a PD Blower on a car.)

Cliff's Notes on Meth: it isn't the be all, end all, but it's definitely something that should deserve a second look if you have a FI power adder.
Big Top Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #88
Meister@Torq

 
Drives: 2001 Crown Vic
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Miami
Posts: 974
Send a message via AIM to Meister@Torq Send a message via MSN to Meister@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Top Gt View Post
So what's the word on your AutoCad and SEMA transfer status? Can you post up some renderings? It looks like you missed my last post, but I've got some really cool stuff in development and we're always looking for new partners.

If you're not authorized vendors/members, no harm/no foul. I assume I misunderstood an earlier post.



Now regarding you're suggestion that meth isn't the way to go, I think it really depens on what you're considering to be "right".

I think we'd all agree that our first choice is a more efficient heat exchanger, but given the physical limitations of available space, we might not always be able to get the huge intercooler/aftercooler setups stuffed into the car where we need them.

That having been said, and taking a step outside the laws of space and time, it still doesn't change the fact that even with the best inter/after cooler setup in the world, a meth system will further reduce the intake charge temps.

You guys are tuners, so you know better than anyone how that lets your run more timing while minimizing your exposure to a propensity for knock. (read: detonation.)

Personally, I think a meth kit is something most forced induction cars in consistently hot climates like ours (south Florida) should run as an added margin of safety even with the BEST setup available.

Heat exchangers, specicfically, begin to lose efficiency as soon as the fluid heats up. (which we all know happens as soon as you start the car.)

Even at idle, most people would be shocked by some of the intake temps we were seeing in my Blown Saleen S281-SC. (and those guys are the kings of slapping a PD Blower on a car.)

Cliff's Notes on Meth: it isn't the be all, end all, but it's definitely something that should deserve a second look if you have a FI power adder.
We cannot post our CAD data for these but the kit was developed using CAD data as well as test fitting the product on multiple vehicles. I would love to discuss the products you are working on.

Regarding the methanol we have not seen a major temperature difference with these blower setups although we are working on a really cool methanol kit for Camaros

Here are some pictures of our Dual Pass Heat Exchanger in Matte Black Thermal Barrier Heat coating, which also adds a stealth look for people who wants it.

This is a special order item only to have this coating.



Over a Whipple, KB and Magnacharger that all use more efficient setups compared to the ZL1 we are seeing 15-20 degree drops in temperature

This DWARFS the factory unit and any other unit on the market. Our competitors unit's are simply CTS-V units adapted to a Camaro

Last edited by Meister@Torq; 05-21-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Meister@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #89
BoostedX2

 
BoostedX2's Avatar
 
Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 961
So this replaces the factory intercooler? Is it a direct bolt in and is there any required tuning adjustments--that void the warranty?

Thanks!
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #90
Erik@Torq
 
Erik@Torq's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Miramar, FL
Posts: 1,196
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
So this replaces the factory intercooler? Is it a direct bolt in and is there any required tuning adjustments--that void the warranty?

Thanks!
It replaces the factory heat exchanger, there are no tuning adjustments needed, and it is a direct bolt in.

You will notice a huge benefit with lower IAT's thus keeping the car at maximum HP!

/Erik
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #91
phantom
phantom
 
phantom's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 CRT 6M
Join Date: May 2009
Location: depere, wi
Posts: 143
Erik, sounds like a no brainer. Are these on your web site, going to be my first mod.
phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.