Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
PewterPhil
 
PewterPhil's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lakeland, TN
Posts: 159
Window tinting

I plan to tint my side windows when I get my Camaro. Are any of you going to tint the windshield. It's not legal here in Tennessee to do the windshield but the guy who is going to do it for me does it for alot of nice cars anyway. He even told me which suburb cops to watch out for. I've never had window tinting done before so I was just wondering if it is normal to do all the windows or what? I do want to be able to see out of the front windshield at night easily if that matters.
__________________
VIN = 2G1FK1EJ4A9112201
1100 = Preliminary Order: 3/21/2009
2000 = Accepted By GM: 3/27/2009
3000 = Accepted By Production Control: 3/28/2009
3300 = Scheduled For Production: 5/9/2009
3400 = Broadcast:5/13/2009
3800 = Produced: 5/22/2009
4150 = Invoiced: 5/25/2009
4200 = Shipped: 5/25/2009
5000 = Delivered To Dealer: 6/9/2009

Ordered: Victory red, black stripes, RS/SS auto, sunroof, painted engine cover.
PewterPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
FH212
 
FH212's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 Mecham Trans Am
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ALB,NM
Posts: 58
You are going to have to tint your back window or it will look real awful. I would not do the front windshield, I had it done on one of my cars about 10 years ago, its cool during the day but visabilty at night suffers.
__________________
2001 "MECHAM" Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1 600HP
2011 Dodge Challenger R/T - Toxic Orange Pearl

2000 "FIREHAWK" Trans Am #212 - SOLD
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
dodson914
 
Drives: 2008 2500 HD; 2008 G8 GT #199
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 239
I have the top portion of the front windshield on my truck tinted. But, that windshield is MUCH larger. I wouldn't do it.
dodson914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
JohnnyBfromPeoria

 
JohnnyBfromPeoria's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,037
In AZ, we can tint the rear window and any glass behind the driver/passenger as dark as we want. The driver/passenger windows have to be above a certain shade, but I can't remember what light level that is. From experience, tinting tha back part of a car makes the rest of the interior pretty dark and you really wouldn't want to have your doors as dark anyway...it makes seeing instruments difficult during the day.

As to the windshield, are you referring to having just a visor strip done? The legal method is to run a strip across the top but not below the little mark a few inches from the top known as the "as-1" line. Look for it. I'm 6'2", so I don't even go down that far as it interferes with the view. This is especially true on an off-road vehicle where you may have to look through any part of the glass as the attitude of the vehicle changes as you go over obstacles.

Who in the heck would want to tint their entire windshield?

And you are on the right track having a professional do it. Make sure they are using quality, brand-name film, usually listed as "metallized." Do-it-yourselfers are often VERY sorry they tried to do this themselves.

Don't plan on rolling the windows down for a couple of days to give the film time to dry out/cure, and seek out a non-ammonium-based window cleaner. Putting lots of Windex on a tinted window can make it start to come loose, as that's how they remove old tint.

Your mileage may vary...

John B.
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs
 
SSOOCH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Jordan, UT
Posts: 7,435
No tinting for me. I want people to see who's driving this bad boy!
__________________
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
MrIcky

 
MrIcky's Avatar
 
Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise
Posts: 1,536
I would consider something like 3M Crystalline which can be bought in an almost true clear and still has 40% light rejection. It's very expensive.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
live2well
 
Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Odenton, MD
Posts: 690
Why ride dirty if you dont have to. When you get pulled for it, you are gonna have to pay to get it uninstalled and then pay to have it inspected (likely), then pay to have it all done again except the windshield. On top of that you will now be on the PO's radar and likely be pulled again.
__________________
Intelligence plus character that is the goal of true education.
BrianC. :flag2:
live2well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
Richochet83
 
Richochet83's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM 2LT Camaro RS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 484
I'm gonna hit the windows with 20% tint but definitely not the windshield. Its gonna be bad enough a Black on Black Camaro with black windows is gonna get the attention of cops anyway. So I don't need any added attention. And where I live they cops look forward to getting jokers with tinted windshields.
Richochet83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
Rocks RS

 
Rocks RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cortland Ohio
Posts: 783
I plan on gettin back and sides done.
__________________
2010 Camaro 2LT / RS - Black w/IO interior & M6

Sporting MRT V1, Hurst short throw, and Injen long tube and loving it!!!

Also, over 125,000 miles and going.
Rocks RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs
 
SSOOCH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Jordan, UT
Posts: 7,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2well View Post
Why ride dirty

Christ I'm getting old. What does that mean?
__________________
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
miami69
 
miami69's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 Infiniti G35 sedan
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Miami
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PewterPhil View Post
I plan to tint my side windows when I get my Camaro. Are any of you going to tint the windshield. It's not legal here in Tennessee to do the windshield but the guy who is going to do it for me does it for alot of nice cars anyway. He even told me which suburb cops to watch out for. I've never had window tinting done before so I was just wondering if it is normal to do all the windows or what? I do want to be able to see out of the front windshield at night easily if that matters.
Before we give you advice, it would help to know WHY you want to tint the windshield. Is it for privacy, is it for added heat and UV rejection, what?
miami69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #12
MaroSS
VIN - 7314
 
MaroSS's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Harbor City, CA
Posts: 653
Tint every window the same tint on this car. I had tinted my Charger windows and my back window was limo tint while my back door windows were also limo but front driver and passenger windows were of lighter tint which was a greyish color during the day but got darker at night. On the Camaro since its a two door, I will get all my windows tinted the same which is the best option because you can really tell the difference between if the tint was different on a two door car compared to a four door. Its best to have it dark enough to where not many people can see what you have inside, but cops can see you because you do have to drive around at least 3 days without rolling your windows down. But the windshield tinting is a baddddd idea ... tinting on this car may be weird period because of the huge blind spot ... idk :-/ good luck to you.
__________________
MaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #13
my2010camaross
ss
 
Drives: all black ss
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: texas
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Christ I'm getting old. What does that mean?
ridin dirty? can mean a numerous of things, drugs peri. alc. etc. why ride dirty win you dont have too.
my2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Christ I'm getting old. What does that mean?
Here, this should help keep you up to date on the current convolution of the English language.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m=riding+dirty
__________________

#1: 2010 1LT/RS Victory Red M6 - July 2009-Oct 2011 (SOLD). #2: 2011 2SS/RS Synergy Green A6 - Oct 2011.....
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
blackedout010
 
Drives: on order black 2010 2ss
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: north carolina
Posts: 707
ima do 5% on sides and back and then do 30% on the winshield
blackedout010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:12 PM   #16
RobbRock
Consultant Camino Real
 
RobbRock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 315
Send a message via AIM to RobbRock
If you do it make sure you do light it will be dark enough for you I did it on my truck before came out great.I just did my windows all the way around dark looks awesome
RobbRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #17
live2well
 
Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Odenton, MD
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Christ I'm getting old. What does that mean?
LOL I am old too but have young kids.


Riding Dirty = illegal tint
__________________
Intelligence plus character that is the goal of true education.
BrianC. :flag2:
live2well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #18
angelic
 
angelic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 82
Send a message via AIM to angelic Send a message via MSN to angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
No tinting for me. I want people to see who's driving this bad boy!
I like it, LOL!
angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #19
The Riz
 
The Riz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 51
I know I've seen another tint thread somewhere on here, but I don't remember if this was ever brought up - Since the windows on the Camaro go down half an inch when you open and close the doors, would that cause issues while the tint is drying? I can avoid rolling my windows down for a few days, but I can't avoid getting in and out of the car.
The Riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #20
GLBL WMR
Booya
 
GLBL WMR's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 354
I plan on getting everything but the windshield at 15%. I can't, for the life of me, understand why anybody would get the windshield done.
__________________
2010 Camaro SS/RS RP6 | 2SS package, M6, black, black leather

2000 Blazer LS | winter beater
GLBL WMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #21
CAMARO_MOW
 
CAMARO_MOW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 White 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 350
I also plan on doing everything at 20%, but definitely not the windshield. It is true that you be able to use the rear window defrost if you get it tinted... Correct???
__________________
2SS/RS Summit White with IOM Stripes and IOM Interior, Hurst Shifter....
CAMARO_MOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #22
PewterPhil
 
PewterPhil's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lakeland, TN
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
In AZ, we can tint the rear window and any glass behind the driver/passenger as dark as we want. The driver/passenger windows have to be above a certain shade, but I can't remember what light level that is. From experience, tinting tha back part of a car makes the rest of the interior pretty dark and you really wouldn't want to have your doors as dark anyway...it makes seeing instruments difficult during the day.

As to the windshield, are you referring to having just a visor strip done? The legal method is to run a strip across the top but not below the little mark a few inches from the top known as the "as-1" line. Look for it. I'm 6'2", so I don't even go down that far as it interferes with the view. This is especially true on an off-road vehicle where you may have to look through any part of the glass as the attitude of the vehicle changes as you go over obstacles.

Who in the heck would want to tint their entire windshield?

And you are on the right track having a professional do it. Make sure they are using quality, brand-name film, usually listed as "metallized." Do-it-yourselfers are often VERY sorry they tried to do this themselves.

Don't plan on rolling the windows down for a couple of days to give the film time to dry out/cure, and seek out a non-ammonium-based window cleaner. Putting lots of Windex on a tinted window can make it start to come loose, as that's how they remove old tint.
Good info. I like the idea of a visor strip but not sure if even that is legal here. I will check.

Quote:
I would consider something like 3M Crystalline which can be bought in an almost true clear and still has 40% light rejection. It's very expensive.
These are they guys that I have talked to about it. http://solartechglasstinting.com/ He is charging me only the cost of material if I let him post my car on his page. Looks like they use a 3M product.

Quote:
Before we give you advice, it would help to know WHY you want to tint the windshield. Is it for privacy, is it for added heat and UV rejection, what?
Mainly privacy but I'll take all benefits you get with tinting.

Quote:
Since the windows on the Camaro go down half an inch when you open and close the doors, would that cause issues while the tint is drying?
This worries me also but surely tint installers have dealt with this on other cars that have the same feature. Or not?

Also, does anyone here know if the small rear side windows are already tinted from the factory? Thanks for all the responses. Camaro5 rocks.
__________________
VIN = 2G1FK1EJ4A9112201
1100 = Preliminary Order: 3/21/2009
2000 = Accepted By GM: 3/27/2009
3000 = Accepted By Production Control: 3/28/2009
3300 = Scheduled For Production: 5/9/2009
3400 = Broadcast:5/13/2009
3800 = Produced: 5/22/2009
4150 = Invoiced: 5/25/2009
4200 = Shipped: 5/25/2009
5000 = Delivered To Dealer: 6/9/2009

Ordered: Victory red, black stripes, RS/SS auto, sunroof, painted engine cover.
PewterPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #23
PewterPhil
 
PewterPhil's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lakeland, TN
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by FH212 View Post
You are going to have to tint your back window or it will look real awful. I would not do the front windshield, I had it done on one of my cars about 10 years ago, its cool during the day but visabilty at night suffers.
It seems like the general consensus here is to NOT do the front windshield and DO tint the back windshield. Thanks.
__________________
VIN = 2G1FK1EJ4A9112201
1100 = Preliminary Order: 3/21/2009
2000 = Accepted By GM: 3/27/2009
3000 = Accepted By Production Control: 3/28/2009
3300 = Scheduled For Production: 5/9/2009
3400 = Broadcast:5/13/2009
3800 = Produced: 5/22/2009
4150 = Invoiced: 5/25/2009
4200 = Shipped: 5/25/2009
5000 = Delivered To Dealer: 6/9/2009

Ordered: Victory red, black stripes, RS/SS auto, sunroof, painted engine cover.
PewterPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #24
mfr1950

 
mfr1950's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 challengerR/T , 2010 Ram R/T
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 1,190
Here in Indiana were allowed a 20% tint on side and back windows only,No limo tint permitted (more that 50%). I'v had my windows tinted the 20% and never had any problems here or out of state..
mfr1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:36 PM   #25
justmeron

 
justmeron's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,267
Send a message via AIM to justmeron
I am in Indiana and the tint place I am using stated Indiana law only allows 35% tint. I am getting it done monday by a professional Ting place which has a lifetime warranty. They have a machine like the po po uses to gauge the tint with and I plan to stay at the legal limit and no I am not doing the windsheild or the top visor part either. Just the sides and back.
__________________
2010 2011 Chevrolet Camaro Faded Black Side Vent Highlight Decal Kit

Life is not like a box of chocolates, its more like eating a whole jar of jalapenos.... what you do today may burn your ass tomorrow!!!!
justmeron is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tracking All Currently Known US VIN and Window Stickers - Order Tracking Thread UCF w00t Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 4242 02-17-2014 08:57 PM
Problem Window Tinting? 87irocz Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 23 06-05-2009 08:17 PM
R6P-If Window Stckr shows price increases-How do u get dealer 2 honor org MSRP price? renderinfo Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 48 06-03-2009 11:03 AM
window indexing for tinting cm5217 Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions 34 06-01-2009 06:38 PM
Some accessories can be listed on your window sticker. jjy59 Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 12 03-23-2009 10:33 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.